(Topic ID: 245310)

Big Lebowski plastics scam? Has DP really sunk this low?

By zsciaeount

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 47 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Roostking
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

520ACAB0-F79F-4BC1-A704-2068C4A66D52.gif
344C7CE1-2D32-4DF4-8AC0-4B63248E65A4 (resized).jpeg
5F41E1B9-5A92-41A5-AF09-4DA23CF5505B (resized).jpeg
284CB8C4-92B8-4D1D-B8B6-18AABC411887 (resized).jpeg
FB9662C7-4B35-4882-8CD7-89EC0753F853 (resized).jpeg
118DB9B8-7872-4E43-BF4E-9EF2AFC3D780 (resized).jpeg
65182030-468F-4FD7-A128-31938EF02F5E (resized).jpeg
18122869-AB5C-413A-B981-D1B0D0D5EAB1 (resized).jpeg
3331A1B4-021C-4D0C-B9CE-728CDEA4BB22 (resized).jpeg

#1 4 years ago

When DP announced they would be selling plastic sets for TBL, I hopped right in on the order. Sent them something like 250 Euros for the set an shipping.

The set never arrived.

When I asked Barry what was up, he said that the package was returned as undeliverable, which is odd, since I get deliveries every day of things as small as a pack of cards and as large as a pinball machine.

Of course, did they try to get a hold of me after the package was (allegedly returned)? No.

Barry offered to (re) ship the plastics set, but asked me to pay for shipping again, which I did.

Not only have I not received the plastics, but Barry has ignored all of my emails for the past month.

Such a shame. I believed in DP and TBL. I was excited to receive mine, and I rooted for them when they ran into production problems. It seems now that maybe the problem isn't just a manufacturing partner being a dick. Maybe these guys really don't understand how to run a business. Barry appears to have pocketed about 300 Euros of my money, and he doesn't seem to have any remorse.

DP were my heroes when they took the stage at Expo a few years ago. They're now dead to me.

#3 4 years ago

If PT Barnum were alive today, he would be manufacturing boutique pinball machines...

#4 4 years ago

After all the mess and drama, why would you send them more money?

#5 4 years ago

crooks the lot of them.

#6 4 years ago

Con artist for sure. They read the environment and capitalized on it. Which is a shame because the one's that were made are fun. Maybe some non deuchebag can make these one day.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from zsciaeount:

When DP announced they would be selling plastic sets for TBL, I hopped right in on the order. Sent them something like 250 Euros for the set an shipping.
The set never arrived.
When I asked Barry what was up, he said that the package was returned as undeliverable, which is odd, since I get deliveries every day of things as small as a pack of cards and as large as a pinball machine.
Of course, did they try to get a hold of me after the package was (allegedly returned)? No.
Barry offered to (re) ship the plastics set, but asked me to pay for shipping again, which I did.
Not only have I not received the plastics, but Barry has ignored all of my emails for the past month.
Such a shame. I believed in DP and TBL. I was excited to receive mine, and I rooted for them when they ran into production problems. It seems now that maybe the problem isn't just a manufacturing partner being a dick. Maybe these guys really don't understand how to run a business. Barry appears to have pocketed about 300 Euros of my money, and he doesn't seem to have any remorse.
DP were my heroes when they took the stage at Expo a few years ago. They're now dead to me.

Whether it was bad luck, lack of business acumen, incompetence or fraud, the results are the same. Dutch Pinball remains out of business, it’s customers and EA’s remain fucked and Barry and Japp remain stone cold losers. You don’t need a nsnl to tell you that.

#8 4 years ago

Sorry to hear this Op

Really pisses me off when a new company takes a grail theme off the table with there incompetence.

Going to start a new pinball company? Prove yourself with a couple original themes before you go after cherished movie titles like Alien, Predator and TBL...

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from WolfManCat:

Sorry to hear this Op
Really pisses me off when a new company takes a grail theme off the table with there incompetence.
Going to start a new pinball company? Prove yourself with a couple original themes before you go after cherished movie titles like Alien, Predator and TBL...

Yeah all 3 titles are diamonds. Watched Predator again and it remains the theme I’d like most to be made into a pin. So much time was wasted redoing and redrawing Arnold and his arm and his gun. A real company would have hired a real artist. Predator pinball was a CON from the start.

TBL was more of a long CON, evolving over years. No hope of recovering Op’s money now. It’s been mixed with the tighty whiteys and lost among the important business papers and Creedence tape.

#10 4 years ago

I just wanted some extra plastics in case one of them breaks.

#11 4 years ago

You almost have to hand it to these guys. Started off with a big bang, went out with a whimper--but are still ballsy enough to keep baiting the hook for more money. Asking for replacement postage to "mail it again" is really off the charts.

#12 4 years ago

I’d file a claim with my credit card company. You can probably get it all refunded.

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

I’d file a claim with my credit card company. You can probably get it all refunded.

This. It would be a very easy claim to get your money back.

#14 4 years ago

That is pretty low.

There seems to be a theme here.

#15 4 years ago

i got my spare plastics set, one was cracked during shipping and Barry replaced it right away. so, obviously im not in the 'total con' camp and more in the failed business state of mind about things. i got very very lucky.

if you end up cracking one, let me know and i can at least scan it in for you to get made. goes for anyone else as well!

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

i got my spare plastics set, one was cracked during shipping and Barry replaced it right away. so, obviously im not in the 'total con' camp and more in the failed business state of mind about things. i got very very lucky.
if you end up cracking one, let me know and i can at least scan it in for you to get made. goes for anyone else as well!

Thanks for letting us know. DP has gone from being human garbage to merely garbage in the past 24 hours
and they did it on Sunday.

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

I got mine too.

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from zsciaeount:

... Maybe these guys really don't understand how to run a business. Barry appears to have pocketed about 300 Euros of my money, and he doesn't seem to have any remorse. ...

I don't think their business skills are in question anymore. Sorry for your loss - I feel your pain. DP took $8,500 from me.

#19 4 years ago

I'm so torn on the motives with Dutch Pinball. They took so many peoples money and caused stress in all these good people's lives. No matter what the outcome is going forward, their lack of communication to this point is inexcusable. Even if everyone DOES end up getting their games.

The email exchanges I had with Barry were great. He helped me so much getting my TBL back on its feet. He even sent me the guides that ARA had to build the machine. He went above and beyond to help me and he really seemed like his heart was in the project. Now Jaap, on the other hand, seemed cold and calculated in every move he made (just from my limited dealings).

I do still have a full plastic set if anyone needs a scan. I can also look into getting them printed and laser cut if anyone is looking in the future.

I'm still holding out hope that you all are made whole one day.

Brian

#20 4 years ago

FWIW, I ordered some rug parts, a playfield set and plastics set.
Everything received.

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

FWIW, I ordered some rug parts, a playfield set and plastics set.
Everything received.

What kind of parts did the rug need?

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

The rug mech takes a serious beating. The game almost should have come with a spare to start. Congrats to anyone that picked up on spare before the wall fell down.

#23 4 years ago

I just got my first chance to put several games on a TBL at the Museum of Pinball in Banning.
What a shame this game stalled in production, I knew on the first ball that I wanted to own one...

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

The rug mech takes a serious beating. The game almost should have come with a spare to start. Congrats to anyone that picked up on spare before the wall fell down.

Got it now, thought he was talking about the rug that belongs under the game, duh. The rug mech is an elongated, moving, bash toy. With it getting so banged around from everyday ball strikes, it must be a fubar design. But, if it is getting all dinged up, then the balls may be getting slightly damaged from it too, which in turn damages the playfield and parts sooner.

#25 4 years ago

ya know, just simple modern everyday "rug parts!"

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

ya know, just simple modern everyday "rug parts!"

Lots of thread and yarn and maybe even a loom. Oh yeah, some important business papers too.

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

I just got my first chance to put several games on a TBL at the Museum of Pinball in Banning.
What a shame this game stalled in production, I knew on the first ball that I wanted to own one...

I was purchasing a pin from another pinsider who had this pin and he was kind enough to let me play a few games on his TBL.....I felt the exact same way....

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from zsciaeount:

The set never arrived.

You just realized this?? All this time you thought ARA was the problem? Amazing lol

#29 4 years ago

Got it now, thought he was talking about the rug that belongs under the game, duh. The rug mech is an elongated, moving, bash toy. With it getting so banged around from everyday ball strikes, it must be a fubar design. But, if it is getting all dinged up, then the balls may be getting slightly damaged from it too, which in turn damages the playfield and parts sooner.

I thought you were being funny ha

#30 4 years ago

Actually, the rug under the game takes a beating too. Mine is worn out.

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

Actually, the rub under the game takes a beating too. Mine is worn out.

Time to swap it for a rug ...

#32 4 years ago

Well the truth is probably somewhere in between ARA and DP but this is low, really low of DP. At this point I can't imagine this game ever getting built again. Hopefully at least the 40 hostage games will go to their rightful owners.

Quoted from Roostking:

You just realized this?? All this time you thought ARA was the problem? Amazing lol

#33 4 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Well the truth is probably somewhere in between ARA and DP but this is low, really low of DP. At this point I can't imagine this game ever getting built again. Hopefully at least the 40 hostage games will go to their rightful owners.

Possibly, but what we do know is that ARA was never paid for the 40ish games they produced(and are in storage rotting away) yet DP was paid for the games(rotting away in storage) by EAs.. I know who gets most of the blame.

#34 4 years ago
Quoted from Thor-NL:

Time to swap it for a rug ...

Did his post rub you the wrong way?

#35 4 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Did his post rub you the wrong way?

He was going to answer, but it was beneath him........lol

#36 4 years ago

I ordered another playfield set..

Got it..

It’s for sale if any TBL owners are interested... it is lovely!

118DB9B8-7872-4E43-BF4E-9EF2AFC3D780 (resized).jpeg118DB9B8-7872-4E43-BF4E-9EF2AFC3D780 (resized).jpeg18122869-AB5C-413A-B981-D1B0D0D5EAB1 (resized).jpeg18122869-AB5C-413A-B981-D1B0D0D5EAB1 (resized).jpeg284CB8C4-92B8-4D1D-B8B6-18AABC411887 (resized).jpeg284CB8C4-92B8-4D1D-B8B6-18AABC411887 (resized).jpeg3331A1B4-021C-4D0C-B9CE-728CDEA4BB22 (resized).jpeg3331A1B4-021C-4D0C-B9CE-728CDEA4BB22 (resized).jpeg344C7CE1-2D32-4DF4-8AC0-4B63248E65A4 (resized).jpeg344C7CE1-2D32-4DF4-8AC0-4B63248E65A4 (resized).jpeg5F41E1B9-5A92-41A5-AF09-4DA23CF5505B (resized).jpeg5F41E1B9-5A92-41A5-AF09-4DA23CF5505B (resized).jpeg65182030-468F-4FD7-A128-31938EF02F5E (resized).jpeg65182030-468F-4FD7-A128-31938EF02F5E (resized).jpegFB9662C7-4B35-4882-8CD7-89EC0753F853 (resized).jpegFB9662C7-4B35-4882-8CD7-89EC0753F853 (resized).jpeg
#37 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinhead1982:

I ordered another playfield set..
Got it..
It’s for sale if any TBL owners are interested... it is lovely![quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Nice score, did you buy it from another collector or ??? I remember buying a spare playfield for BBB and it was a great investment as well as piece of mind. TBL has three playfields and having all is highly unusual. Some buyer is going to be glowing when he gets these.

Plastic sets for BBB went for big $ but can be reproduced cheaply for TBL. Spare cabinet decals turned out to be the best bang for the buck for BBB, but were hard to track down. Any ideas about availability of TBL cabinet decals?

1 month later
#38 4 years ago

Barry did get back to me shortly after I posted this thread and said my email went to his spam (uh huh) and that he would ship out the plastic set immediately.

That was five weeks ago. Still no product.

2 weeks later
#39 4 years ago

Happy update here. After more than a year of wrangling, I have finally received my TBL plastics set, and they arrived in good condition.

Though this was a particularly trying transaction, Barry made good on the transaction.

I played a few games of TBL this weekend. The kickback plunger stuck on, so that’s a headache, but I was reminded how fun the game is and I can see the love the creative team had for the IP.

Though it would be great for the value if this stayed rare, I really hope the game goes back into production so that more people can enjoy it.

#40 4 years ago

Glad to hear you got your plastics. I ordered a plastics set, PF and some rug parts. All were promptly shipped.

#41 4 years ago

How does one order a playfield?

520ACAB0-F79F-4BC1-A704-2068C4A66D52.gif520ACAB0-F79F-4BC1-A704-2068C4A66D52.gif
#42 4 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

Glad to hear you got your plastics. I ordered a plastics set, PF and some rug parts. All were promptly shipped.

Which rug parts did you order and why?

#43 4 years ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

Which rug parts did you order and why?

Sticker because its a high wear item and the roller as a precaution/

1 month later
#44 4 years ago

What are the chances this pin goes back into production?

50/50 ?

#45 4 years ago
Quoted from turbo2nr:

What are the chances this pin goes back into production?
50/50 ?

Zero.

#46 4 years ago

Optimism

#47 4 years ago

I was going to say less than zero lol. Natural born optimist, what can i say. I also support the new green deal!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
12,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hilton Head Island, SC
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/big-lebowski-plastics-scam-has-dp-really-sunk-this-low?hl=ericc123 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.