Topic poll

“What game is more enjoyable to play?”

• Big Lebowski 68 votes
    60%
  • GnR LE 45 votes
    40%

(113 votes)

#1 2 years ago

I posted the other day asking people what game they would rather own based mainly on enjoyability and lastability between Rick & Morty and Big Lebowski.

TBL took it with 60% of the votes, and it looks like the fatal flaw of R&M was the layout.

Now I'm pitting Lebowski against GnR LE, and would like to hear from people that own both, or have a decent amount of time on them.

Again, as per the last head-to-head, gameplay (layout and rules) are the main focus. On theme, they're both cool to me, so what I really want to dig into, is how much fun they are to play in the home environment.

Please be sure to vote too!

Cheers

#2 2 years ago

GNR LE

LTG : )

#3 2 years ago

Punchy the Clown. The clown abides.

#4 2 years ago

The Pinball Circus

#5 2 years ago

I know you're looking for a gameplay assessment, but as an owner of both, Lebowski has been a royal pain in the ass. The list of issues with my Lebowski is long. None of them super serious, but all of them just shouldn't be there for a $12.5K pinball machine. It's like a Rolls Royce body with Hyundai innards. But I think they've upgraded some components in recent times (I got mine early 2020).

People seem to have chipping/pooling with their GnR, but I don't (so far, knock on wood). Only issue I had is the flippers were misaligned. Didn't like how it played, raised the flipper angle a bit, now I love how it shoots. It's not Stern flipper power now, but it's also not supposed to be. It's something other GnR owners should look into if they think their flippers are mushy -- raise their angle a little bit.

#6 2 years ago

since you compared to JJPs GNR. it's no contest. TBL all the way. Now if you compared it to the DE version, it would be a more even competition.

#7 2 years ago

This is a tough one. I have both. The only two NIB games I have ever bought. I have a small collection. GNR LE gets played way more and is a more impressive marvel of a machine. Big Lebowski though is just something special and rare and really really well executed (but starting to show its age let’s be honest). If I could only keep one it would be Lebowski because it’s just so damn special but I definitely do play GNR more.

#8 2 years ago

50/50 so far in the voting!

I've only played GnR SE a couple of times, but my concern with a JJP/Keith Johnson game is that there may be too many MBs. I owned a Hobbit recently, and one gripe with the game was that it was MB aplenty. It became confusing as to what the objective was because there were always 4-5 going. I love LOTR, but I feel like Hobbit was just a never ending game of anti-climatic modes.

I have no idea what TBL is like, but with new code coming, I'm sure there will be some fun improvements.

I'm planning to sell a game or two shortly, and I'm trying to figure out what the next game should be here.

Thanks for all the input

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from WizardsCastle:

50/50 so far in the voting!
I've only played GnR SE a couple of times, but my concern with a JJP/Keith Johnson game is that there may be too many MBs. I owned a Hobbit recently, and one gripe with the game was that it was MB aplenty. It became confusing as to what the objective was because there were always 4-5 going. I love LOTR, but I feel like Hobbit was just a never ending game of anti-climatic modes.
I have no idea what TBL is like, but with new code coming, I'm sure there will be some fun improvements.
I'm planning to sell a game or two shortly, and I'm trying to figure out what the next game should be here.
Thanks for all the input

I'd say go for something different and get a TBL. I've personally found the GNR layout kinda boring when I played it (it is a beautiful light show!)

#10 2 years ago

Or maybe go for a Wonka, I see it's on your wishlist and it's awesome. I'm getting one next week.

#11 2 years ago

I have a Halloween on pre-order, but I think I'm going to dump it and buy either a Lebowski or GnR.

After months of fixing issues with my R&M to get it playing properly, and just seeing how many corners this company cuts, I think I'm starting to regret the thought of potentially giving them any more of my money.

It's also the flippers... I absolutely dislike the way they feel. They're almost hollow if that makes any sense. Just lacking in satisfaction compared to any other flippers.

So... Lebowski or GnR?!?!

#12 2 years ago

I have a Halloween on pre-order, but I think I'm going to dump it and buy either a Lebowski or GnR.
After months of fixing issues with my R&M to get it playing properly, and just seeing how many corners this company cuts, I think I'm starting to regret the thought of potentially giving them any more of my money.
It's also the flippers... I absolutely dislike the way they feel. They're almost hollow if that makes any sense. Just lacking in satisfaction compared to any other flippers.
So... Lebowski or GnR?!?!

If you don't like Spooky flippers, you're going to hate JJP flippers.

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from PokerJake:

If you don't like Spooky flippers, you're going to hate JJP flippers.

Totally disagree (respectfully).

I have owned Hobbit, and two Dialed Ins (have one now) and they shoot waaaaaaaaaay better.

#14 2 years ago

I have both and you are making me choose, so it's TBL! Two totally different experiences though. It's hard to rock out with TBL.

#15 2 years ago

Totally disagree (respectfully).
I have owned Hobbit, and two Dialed Ins (have one now) and they shoot waaaaaaaaaay better.

No problem, atleast you've tried them, they drive me nuts. I loved my DILE but it still suffered from the JJP sluggish flippers, like my Wonka and WOZ. I'd still vote TBL though, awesome movie and great game.

#16 2 years ago

I don't care for the GnR rulesets. I love the layout, I love the lights, I love the world under glass, etc. The rules are horrid. I played one game, got six multiballs somehow, scored very little and then the game ended. I started a second game, got three multiballs on ball one, and then with the balls trapped on the flippers I just walked away. I couldn't stand it. I was in love with that game when it came out and I couldn't wait to play it. I finally get my chance to play and my opinion turned immediately.

If the rules were to ever change, like a difficulty setting to make multiballs special instead of something that's guaranteed, I'd probably love it a lot more. If all of the scoring wasn't located in one shot, I'd also probably like it more.

I dunno.

#17 2 years ago
Quoted from ThePinballCo-op:

I don't care for the GnR rulesets. I love the layout, I love the lights, I love the world under glass, etc. The rules are horrid. I played one game, got six multiballs somehow, scored very little and then the game ended. I started a second game, got three multiballs on ball one, and then with the balls trapped on the flippers I just walked away. I couldn't stand it. I was in love with that game when it came out and I couldn't wait to play it. I finally get my chance to play and my opinion turned immediately.
If the rules were to ever change, like a difficulty setting to make multiballs special instead of something that's guaranteed, I'd probably love it a lot more. If all of the scoring wasn't located in one shot, I'd also probably like it more.
I dunno.

You played one game. Surely you mastered the rule set. Valuable review….

#18 2 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Person played game. Had no idea what they were doing. Didn't like me it.

Yup super deep.

#19 2 years ago

I dunno.

I felt this way in Hobbit. After a couple of weeks of owning it, I wasn't sure what I was playing for. I didn't care to play the modes, Smaug was more of a mini-wizard than anything, and getting to TABA was an absolute slog.

When you got a MB it didn't feel special, just felt like part of this never-ending game that required at least an hour of your time.

I had this game at the same time as LOTR, and it was sort of a chance for me to compare these two epic themes. I quickly realized that LOTR was the game that would be staying for me.

#20 2 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Quoted from BC_Gambit:

Person played game. Had no idea what they were doing. Didn't like me it.
Yup super deep.

I played one full game and one-third of another game. I had 9 total multiballs. I didn't like that. I crushed the multiball modes and didn't seem to get good points for doing so. I didn't like that either. I was very excited to play the game and within 4 balls I did a full 180. I read the rulesets afterwards and discovered that the vast majority of your points come from a single shot to collect a song jackpot. The flippers also felt weak and sluggish, forgot that part.

If you like it, that's awesome and nothing else should matter. Maybe I'll try it again sometime but I'm in no rush. I would like to be able to have my opinion as much as I let you have yours.

#21 2 years ago

I felt this way in Hobbit. After a couple of weeks of owning it, I wasn't sure what I was playing for. I didn't care to play the modes, Smaug was more of a mini-wizard than anything, and getting to TABA was an absolute slog.
When you got a MB it didn't feel special, just felt like part of this never-ending game that required at least an hour of your time.
I had this game at the same time as LOTR, and it was sort of a chance for me to compare these two epic themes. I quickly realized that LOTR was the game that would be staying for me.

Yeah LOTR was worlds above Hobbit at the time. I know there was an update for Hobbit but I've yet to play that.

I also don't love the feel of JJP flippers. I owned DI for two years and even though the flow was great, the modes were great, the big bang was awesome, collecting sim cards was brilliant, everything else was under-whelming. It was a little too upbeat, the music was annoying, the flippers weren't snappy, the multiball modes were terrible, the sim shot was more luck based than skill based, and you were FORCED to play multiball if you didn't cancel it or if you lost a ball.

I feel like all the JJP games I've played had similar issues as DI. JJP puts together a solid product (minus playfields) and good to great themes, but they could use some help on rulesets and flippers imo.

#22 2 years ago

If you like it, that's awesome and nothing else should matter. Maybe I'll try it again sometime but I'm in no rush. I would like to be able to have my opinion as much as I let you have yours.

You are free to have an opinion, but to think an educated opinion is worth the same weight as someone who has first impressions is what it is.

This is less about defending GNR LE and more a critique of the cascade of game reviews that are all so "well informed" and similar.

- I played a few balls
- Didn't know what I was doing
- It sucked

If you think that should carry equal weight with someone who has hundreds of games under their belt, go for it.

#23 2 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

You are free to have an opinion, but to think an educated opinion is worth the same weight as someone who has first impressions is what it is.
This is less about defending GNR LE and more a critique of the cascade of game reviews that are all so "well informed" and similar.
- I played a few balls
- Didn't know what I was doing
- It sucked
If you think that should carry equal weight with someone who has hundreds of games under their belt, go for it.

I got 9 multiballs. It sucked. That alone made me hate it.

Do you have an opinion? You should post it. I won't argue or pick it apart. The OP asked for feedback so that's what I did.

Side note worth mentioning: I have not yet given this game an official review or rating on pinside. I only do that when I play a game a few dozen times or more for the very reason you mention, but it's going to take some time for me to give this game another shot.

#24 2 years ago

I got 9 multiballs. It sucked. That alone made me hate it.
Do you have an opinion? You should post it. I won't argue or pick it apart. The OP asked for feedback so that's what I did.
Side note worth mentioning: I have not yet given this game an official review or rating on pinside. I only do that when I play a game a few dozen times or more for the very reason you mention, but it's going to take some time for me to give this game another shot.

That is fair! First impressions are what they are. A game that gave a super poor first impression for me was WPT. I did not know how the callouts for the poker hands went with the game (as there is the drop target poker and the "ramps poker hands" running concurrently most of the time).

Seemed like stuff was just happening.

Then I watched a 30 minute or so tutorial and thought "I should give that game another chance". I bought one years ago. Still the best bang for the buck pin from that era if you like games with deep rules.

I should probably get off my ass and actually try to do even something like one game review a month, starting with games I have owned.

#25 2 years ago

I felt EXACTLY the same. TH was a shitfest of multiball with a wide open layout. IT SUCKED. One of my most hated regretful purchases ever.

I find the mb in GnR nothing like TH. There is real strategy to the stackable 2 ball mb's. They are a means to get something else - not a real special achievement in a traditional mb sense. The 2 ball mb's are not special.

It's the songs that are more akin to traditional mb's. The risk/ reward elevates the challenge to strive for a huge jackpot. You need those 2-balls to set it all up.

It's all about the rules. If you understand what you're trying to do, the 2 ball mb's really represent modes to set up killer song value. To consider it as a jackpot inducing achievement like Stern games is completely off the mark. But I get it that it would suck if you think they are supposed to be like a Stern mb.

Hard to explain, but spending time until it made sense took away any comparison as a mb shit-fest. It has a real specific purpose for setting up for a killer game.

Plus the LE layout is awesome. i would never consider an SE. That upper pf is what makes the layout great.

6 months later
#26 1 year ago

You need to own both of you can .. any one know how many have been made ?

#27 1 year ago

I'm guilty of honeymoon posting.

I have since sold my GnRLE since my previous gushing comment. It was really fun at first, but the gameplay got stale.

It became tedious until it was no longer fun to play and I had to let it go.

#28 1 year ago

I've never had a chance to play the big labowski but have been able to play gnr at my neighbors and after a good number of games I have no interest in playing it even on free play. Granted I'm not very good at pinball and I love JJPs but this one ain't it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 11,000.00
$ 25.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

8,249 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Temple, TX
$ 40.00
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 10,200.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Appleton, WI
8,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mohawk, NY
$ 13,600.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 60.00
Hardware
Pin Parts

$ 109.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

€ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 210.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 130.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Decals
ScottyMods

$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/big-lebowski-or-gnr-le and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.