• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20171226_173529 (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

Hi guys, nooby and first project here !

Needing some help/ guidance on my big hurt, my concern is with the top ball gate associated with solenoid 16 on the driver board. according to the schematics J16 runs back to q17 via A3j6.. I assume from my limited knowledge and reading that it's energies a ball gate which I have no idea where it is and what it does!..

Looking under the playfield the J16 connector has two wires that I assume are supposed to run back to a 26451 coil, here's the drama from what I can see there is no coil "solenoid 16" for the connector to attach to, hence my conundrum!, Is this a design flaw on some units and or fixable on mine ?. I have connected J16 to the top right upkicker 24651 solenoid to test and it does kick up the plunger, so I know it does serve a purpose.

If any of you guys own a big hurt and or know what to do so I can get this resolved I'd appreciate the help.

Cheers in advance! #frankthomasbighurt

#2 4 years ago

There's a hidden flap under the "upper deck". It's been a while since I had mine apart, but I think it's just a steel square that hangs from above, and the coil is behind the plastics of the upper deck. If I remember right, when the coil is energized, it holds the flap rigid and prevents the ball from orbiting and causes it to drop into the lanes and saucer. When unenergized the ball pushes through.

#3 4 years ago

Thankyou for the reply, Electronmagic, I've managed to get my head around the coil location and referring to the manual it's an actuator assembly, the only square flap I can see is the home run "gate"/flap (unless something else has been the removed from my cabinet) , the coil assembly sits behind the right gap lane at the rear of the stadium as mentioned, so I'm a little confused as to its function probably a pretty basic concept but for me still scratching my head. I can see two opto switches either side of the "gaps", so I assume they trigger other game features in the case of the right gap bullpen etc, and I guess the driver board triggers the coil assembly solenoid 16, q17, I'm still just unsure as to how it manipulates the "home run gate" if that is what we are referring to and I'd also assume it's game code that tells it when to energise or not?..
@Electronmagic #bighurt#actuatorassembly#

#4 4 years ago

I was referring to the solenoid in the lower center of this picture. Not sure if you're talking about the same one. I can't find my manual right now to confirm this is solenoid 16. Unfortunately, I didn't think of taking a picture of the underside of the upper deck, but the pictured solenoid controls that flap.

Maybe someone else will chime in. Also, you can try asking in the big hurt club

IMG_20171226_173529 (resized).jpgIMG_20171226_173529 (resized).jpg
#5 4 years ago

No where are on the same page , that solenoid with the bracket around it is the actuator assembly, I managed to get my head around the extra metal flap attached to the assembly its called a spring flap, which from more reading may be a ball "deflector","Ball gate deflector" activated by the energized coil so without having the parts little hard to visualize its function more so how it is triggered i guess game cpu board back to the driver board, it either allows you to travel along the right gap into the bullpen/pop bumpers or stops the ball and kicks it back out to the warning track i imagine where the glove pushes the ball either side of the play field. I've looked into pb resource to track down the parts if possible and get it installed to see its function, but i think i get the gist, if you have a copy of the flap attached that would amazing!, as cant seem to find a clear visual anywhere, Thanks for the input though Electronmagic , ill look into joining the big hurt club for more info , i saw your big hurt journey! and again appreciate your help

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

2,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TENNESSEE

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/big-hurt-top-ball-gate-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.