20200414_164034 (resized).jpg
20200414_164019 (resized).jpg
20200414_163810 (resized).jpg
20200414_163749 (resized).jpg
20200414_163720 (resized).jpg
20200414_163707 (resized).jpg
20200414_163657 (resized).jpg
Big Hurt decal set (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider agent_hero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#63 7 years ago

Anyone have the cabinet with the blue skyline?

#68 7 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Do you? If so, picture! Curious to see it

No, I'm just an on-looker who has the game on my want list. I was a fan of the Big Hurt as a kid.

3 months later
#103 7 years ago

Finally picked up a Big Hurt! Fixed the auto plunger not working during multiball (adjusted the switch) and tracked down a half dozen lights that weren't working for the usual reasons. The mylar is kinda hazy and has bubbles, but I'll leave it since it has wear spots in the out lanes it'll be a garage game anyway.

I still have the common opto issue to resolve. I switched the two quad optical interface boards and the issue went from always awarding multiball to now advancing innings. In the switch edges test mode, both levels of the left field and right field optos register. In game, I can get points by slapping the side of the cabinet, so I'm guessing one of the quad boards is faulty. Still a fun game even with the nagging issues. I was afraid there wasn't going to be much troubleshooting info on this game, but I've found everything I needed so far.

The "topper" came from the stadium gift shop at the only White Sox game I ever attended in 1994. It was White Sox/Rangers the weekend that World Cup Soccer was being played in Chicago. Frank Thomas had the game-winning walk-off RBI single. I think the stadium had just changed its name to US Cellular Field.

I'd like to change the Reebok and Big Hurt plastics to White Sox logos or something to give it more of a Sox look rather than a corporate ad look. It'd be cool to do the same with the translite--have a similar picture using a 1994 picture of new Comiskey Park. Like the attached photo. Finally, if Pinball Browser worked with System 3 games, I'd love to change out some of the call outs with Hawk Harrelson stuff.

20170116_113252 (resized).jpg20170116_113252 (resized).jpg

stock-photo-this-is-the-new-comiskey-park-stadium-playing-are-the-white-sox-vs-the-texas-rangers-the-177981572 (resized).jpgstock-photo-this-is-the-new-comiskey-park-stadium-playing-are-the-white-sox-vs-the-texas-rangers-the-177981572 (resized).jpg

#104 7 years ago

Installed the new quad opto boards and it seems to be playing great now. No more phantom scoring!

2 months later
#109 7 years ago
Quoted from Yesh23:

My game isn't does register when I go into the right field gap, any ideas? I'm a rookie.

Should be a pair of optos behind the "325 feet" plastic. Those trigger the choice between multiball and add to GRAND SLAM. If that's what is not being triggered, reflow solder on both sets of wires going to the small opto boards. There is another set of optos back in that area too, I think buried in the right orbit.

I had to reflow solder to the optos behind the 325 feet plastic last night since shots were going to fast in that area and weren't triggering the choice between multiball and GRAND SLAM. Works fine now.

4 weeks later
#113 6 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

I can't quite discern from the posted flyers online so does anyone know if the rubber rings as originally included when Big Hurt was new, were white, or black? I'm leaning towards black, but would like to be sure before I order a kit.
Also has anyone replaced the #67 flashers with LEDs? If so what bulbs and/or circuit mods are required?

If you zoom in on this, it looks black:
http://flyers.arcade-museum.com/flyers_pinball/premier/74001801.jpg

I put in white and I think it feels like it provides a decent contrast. The entire playfield has a dark, nighttime sky effect and the white gives it more of a black & white "White Sox" look to it.

Unrelated: If anyone is looking for a Big Hurt, I know of another one (not mine) that will be for sale soon locally.

#115 6 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

Great minds and all! I too think it looks dark, and thought white would brighten it up and be more South Side authentic as you did... But then didn't want bright white rubber to make the rest of my aged yellowed pf seem dingier than it already is.
Does black rubber have a different rebound rate than white? A harder, less bouncy dyrometer rating? I thought it did, but might be mistaken.

No idea on the science part, but aesthetically the white rubber doesn't make my playfield's imperfections any more noticeable than the black rubber that was on it previously.

3 weeks later
#120 6 years ago

It's for a printer.

1 year later
#173 5 years ago
Quoted from slowmojo:

New member.
Bought from the "Wichita Auction" sight unseen. Paid $1600 and it came with:
1. Broken upper left flipper assembly (fixed, new retaining clip, cleaned)
2. Jammed right hole had 3 balls stuck (fixed, found large plastic rod jammed in assembly)
3. Left slingshot coil locked (new coil ordered)
4. 20+ lights out (new LEDs ordered)
5. 5 pinballs which made the game act strange (fixed, removed extra ball)
7. Several fuses blown
8. Generally filthy
My first machine is a well sorted T2, this is my second machine and I expected it to be rough.
Looking forward to my first pinball project because it is an under rated machine, especially for baseball fans.
joe

Hopefully the optos down the "left field line" and "right field line" aren't flaky, but with the issues listed so far, those might need attention too. Good luck!

1 month later
#185 5 years ago
Quoted from Mikedenton49:

You guys may get a kick out of this as well.
I asked Mr. Tantrum, the guy above who made instruction cards for me, just how far his talents go. He knocked one out of the park for me, pun intended. Check out these custom decals for the apron, standups, and drop targets. It looks pretty dang amazing.
While the cam doesn't pick it up, I also added a UV strip just above the drop targets which fluoresce beautifully.
With the exception of the mylar I asked about months ago, shes a polished gem of a bh. Thanks again Tantrum!

Excellent. I'm all for getting rid of the Reebok branding. Those bats are neat too--must be Breast Cancer Awareness month with Frank's black bat with pink accents.

Added over 6 years ago:

Wow, $3,500. Good luck with the sale!

9 months later
#197 4 years ago

Got a Big Hurt (again) recently and the ramp for the skill shot had been "disabled" since the ramp flap had broken and it was causing plunges to hit the second black bar above the skill shot ramp flap area. Anyway, with the skill shot disabled the plunge is a full orbit shot to the lower left flipper which is more true to the playfield art and the game of baseball, if you think about it. The ball is put into play after the full orbit (a pitch) by the flipper bat which would be the correct positioning for a right handed hitter like the Big Hurt. The drop target skill shot is still in effect for this too. Seems like it would add a bit more speed to the start of the game too.

#198 4 years ago

Mr_Tantrum comes through in the clutch with some nice decals. Since my apron is pretty nice, I asked if he could print the apron decals on magnet sheets. BIG thanks! I chose his '91 Upper Deck card (where he's angrily flipping off the cameraman) for the "Trade" stand-up target since he wasn't too happy when he left the Sox.

Big Hurt decal set (resized).jpgBig Hurt decal set (resized).jpg

Hard to zoom in...maybe this link will be better:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/tYTpjuN64n5sv4tD8

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider agent_hero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/big-hurt-club-step-up-to-the-plate?tu=agent_hero and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.