Topic Stats

• 203 posts
  • 40 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by jorro
  • Topic is favorited by 13 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 124 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Big Hurt decal set (resized).jpg
20181220_214742 (resized).jpg
IMG_20171226_173529 (resized).jpg
IMG_20171226_173520 (resized).jpg
20180720_123149 (resized).jpg
20180716_101344 (resized).jpg
20180716_101704 (resized).jpg
20180629_125755 (resized).jpg
20180704_110933 (resized).jpg
20180706_141652 (resized).jpg
bigHurtUnderTheHood (resized).jpg
BH1_purp (resized).jpg
BH_SM_purp (resized).jpg
BH2 (resized).jpg
BH1 (resized).jpg
20180526_213133 (resized).jpg

There are 203 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.
#101 3 years ago

I just got done swapping all the bulbs out to led's but one. How in the heck do you get to the bulb under the home room towards the back?

1 month later
#102 3 years ago

Hi guys,recent Big Hurt owner
I had a wire come off the upper left up kicker.
fixed it and changed the blown fuse.
Blew the fuse right away again.
I am guessing that I popped something on the boards,no idea which one though.
Plus I am not sure if the coil that was there is correct,it is a A-5194.
It is not listed as one of the coils in the manual,but is listed in pinball medic for that purpose.

Could someone check to see which coil they have there please.
I need to order a new one plus the transistor for the board,once someone figures out which one it is.
Thanks guys.

#103 3 years ago

Finally picked up a Big Hurt! Fixed the auto plunger not working during multiball (adjusted the switch) and tracked down a half dozen lights that weren't working for the usual reasons. The mylar is kinda hazy and has bubbles, but I'll leave it since it has wear spots in the out lanes it'll be a garage game anyway.

I still have the common opto issue to resolve. I switched the two quad optical interface boards and the issue went from always awarding multiball to now advancing innings. In the switch edges test mode, both levels of the left field and right field optos register. In game, I can get points by slapping the side of the cabinet, so I'm guessing one of the quad boards is faulty. Still a fun game even with the nagging issues. I was afraid there wasn't going to be much troubleshooting info on this game, but I've found everything I needed so far.

The "topper" came from the stadium gift shop at the only White Sox game I ever attended in 1994. It was White Sox/Rangers the weekend that World Cup Soccer was being played in Chicago. Frank Thomas had the game-winning walk-off RBI single. I think the stadium had just changed its name to US Cellular Field.

I'd like to change the Reebok and Big Hurt plastics to White Sox logos or something to give it more of a Sox look rather than a corporate ad look. It'd be cool to do the same with the translite--have a similar picture using a 1994 picture of new Comiskey Park. Like the attached photo. Finally, if Pinball Browser worked with System 3 games, I'd love to change out some of the call outs with Hawk Harrelson stuff.

20170116_113252 (resized).jpg

stock-photo-this-is-the-new-comiskey-park-stadium-playing-are-the-white-sox-vs-the-texas-rangers-the-177981572 (resized).jpg

#104 3 years ago

Installed the new quad opto boards and it seems to be playing great now. No more phantom scoring!

#105 3 years ago

Glad to hear it!!

2 months later
#106 2 years ago

Just got done shopping our big hurt! Added a few leds like the outhole, kicker spotlights and a light to brighten up the ramp & I also added 2 action figures!

This game is finally shopped and ready to go back on location. Should earn pretty good now that it's all fixed up and good looking!

20170325_210530 (resized).jpg

20170325_210510 (resized).jpg

#107 2 years ago

Hi All,
We have a very nice Big Hurt that we are going to do a full restoration on. If you have an interest let me know.

thanks-J

#108 2 years ago

My game isn't does register when I go into the right field gap, any ideas? I'm a rookie.

#109 2 years ago
Quoted from Yesh23:

My game isn't does register when I go into the right field gap, any ideas? I'm a rookie.

Should be a pair of optos behind the "325 feet" plastic. Those trigger the choice between multiball and add to GRAND SLAM. If that's what is not being triggered, reflow solder on both sets of wires going to the small opto boards. There is another set of optos back in that area too, I think buried in the right orbit.

I had to reflow solder to the optos behind the 325 feet plastic last night since shots were going to fast in that area and weren't triggering the choice between multiball and GRAND SLAM. Works fine now.

#110 2 years ago

I love my Big Hurt pin. Only pinball machine I've ever bought new in box. It only has ~4000 plays on so it pretty much still looks like new except for the stickers on the drop targets. I'll have to see if PBR still has them.

I've got an signed Frank Thomas bat I'd like to put on as a topper. Since it won't ever leave my home I'm thinking of just using Velcro strips to hold the display case to the top of the head. Does anybody see a problem with that? If I like the way it looks I'll eventually attach it properly and add some lighting, but I've got other pinballs that need more important work that are ahead of this on my to do list.

I just don't get some of the hate this machine gets. I actually like the announcer, and my inner baseball fan still laughs at the thought of big Frank stealing 3 bases. "Can he do it again?" The music sounds ok to me and is very well themed. Who doesn't like it when "take me out to the ballgame" starts up during 7th inning stretch?

3 weeks later
#111 2 years ago

I just picked my first pinball machine, a Frank Thomas Big Hurt. Living in Chicagoland, being a White Sox fan, and being a huge Frank Thomas fan it was a must have. Looks and plays great. I bought the manual and schematic since I figure I'll have some issues. First thing I want to do is upgrade all the bulbs to leds. I want to start with the playfield and then do the light box latter on. The question is how many bulbs, what sizes, and what style do I need?

#112 2 years ago

I can't quite discern from the posted flyers online so does anyone know if the rubber rings as originally included when Big Hurt was new, were white, or black? I'm leaning towards black, but would like to be sure before I order a kit.

Also has anyone replaced the #67 flashers with LEDs? If so what bulbs and/or circuit mods are required?

#113 2 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

I can't quite discern from the posted flyers online so does anyone know if the rubber rings as originally included when Big Hurt was new, were white, or black? I'm leaning towards black, but would like to be sure before I order a kit.
Also has anyone replaced the #67 flashers with LEDs? If so what bulbs and/or circuit mods are required?

If you zoom in on this, it looks black:
http://flyers.arcade-museum.com/flyers_pinball/premier/74001801.jpg

I put in white and I think it feels like it provides a decent contrast. The entire playfield has a dark, nighttime sky effect and the white gives it more of a black & white "White Sox" look to it.

Unrelated: If anyone is looking for a Big Hurt, I know of another one (not mine) that will be for sale soon locally.

#114 2 years ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

If you zoom in on this, it looks black:
http://flyers.arcade-museum.com/flyers_pinball/premier/74001801.jpg
I put in white and I think it feels like it provides a decent contrast. The entire playfield has a dark, nighttime sky effect and the white gives it more of a black & white "White Sox" look to it.

Great minds and all! I too think it looks dark, and thought white would brighten it up and be more South Side authentic as you did... But then didn't want bright white rubber to make the rest of my aged yellowed pf seem dingier than it already is.

Does black rubber have a different rebound rate than white? A harder, less bouncy dyrometer rating? I thought it did, but might be mistaken.

#115 2 years ago

Great minds and all! I too think it looks dark, and thought white would brighten it up and be more South Side authentic as you did... But then didn't want bright white rubber to make the rest of my aged yellowed pf seem dingier than it already is.
Does black rubber have a different rebound rate than white? A harder, less bouncy dyrometer rating? I thought it did, but might be mistaken.

No idea on the science part, but aesthetically the white rubber doesn't make my playfield's imperfections any more noticeable than the black rubber that was on it previously.

1 week later
#116 2 years ago

Finally finished the resurrection - after figuring out a nasty driver board issue, all the mechs are now functioning!

So now I can more freely indulge cosmetic issues (cabinet, speaker grilles, coin door, etc) and other stuff. It'll get there. No time to really play it just yet, unfortunately. And I probably need a new glove motor but still! Test rounds were fun and considering this thing should have been burned and could have made everyone sick, it's a small miracle it works at all.

I did find time to paint the siderails yellow. The originals were *horrible*. Paint of course will not be durable and will probably wear off even easier than I'd like. But the rails had nothing to lose so this is a cheap way to experiment with colors. I think the yellow really looks good, although the shade could maybe be a bit brigher. Thought about trying to mist some orange to blend it into the "rocket trail" on the backbox...

BHY (resized).jpg

#117 2 years ago

So one thing I've noticed is the captive ball doesn't seem to move much when it's hit - certainly not enough to register. But there are really no adjustments to make: when flipped into the umpire scoop, the player's ball loops up, exits into the habitrail and then rolls down into the captive ball. This path is fixed to allow the parts to fit, so you can't adjust them to affect the speed much if at all.

I assume the captive is supposed to be a standard pinball? Gonna check if maybe the plastic above is pinching it somehow, but that's all I've got.

1 week later
#118 2 years ago

After thinking about it I realized that DUH, the umprire scoop *shouldn't* knock the captive ball because it would become a lame gimme (albeit a nicely Goldberg-esque) shot. In the scoop's case, the captive ball simply stops the playball momentum to drop back to the flippers. The captive ball is instead supposed to be aimed for off the right flipper, and it works.

In other news, I turned my motor from a rabid coffee grinder back into a glove mover... a call to PBR to spec a $2 part makes it silent and reliable now. The game is so much better this way!

Needed new drop stickers so I made a custom but appropriate set... needs a little refinement maybe but the look is there. And it still says "Big Hurt" in plenty of other visible places

20170517_092205 (resized).jpg

#119 2 years ago

I found this wire in my back box and it wasn't connected. Curious if it needs connected and if so where?

20170508_175158 (resized).jpg

#120 2 years ago

It's for a printer.

#121 2 years ago

Thanks agent. No need for a printer for me

#122 2 years ago

I've been wondering what the image on top of the scope shoot is. It kind of looks like Neo from the Matrix floating in mid air. LOL. Doesn't look baseball related at all.

Added over 3 years ago: Took a look at it again and it looks like a poor drawing of an umpire.

#123 2 years ago

Has anyone added a Frank Thomas baseball card to the game, if so where?

1 week later
#124 2 years ago

Can anyone direct me to what this wire went to(red, green and white). It was plugged into the adapter shown. The reason I ask is my wire had a resistor on it and it was grounded to the backbox. I had it removed and soldered the wires back together and now the unit blows 30 for the back left up kicker

20170529_234448 (resized).jpg

20170529_234443 (resized).jpg

#125 2 years ago
Quoted from ChitownCraig:

Has anyone added a Frank Thomas baseball card to the game, if so where?

P_20160925_115426 (resized).jpg

3 weeks later
#126 2 years ago

Question on gameplay. When you launch the ball and if you hit the flashing drop target within 10 seconds or so you get a home run. My question is, is the game suppose to say home run or just show on the screen? Mine just shows the home run and no sound/voice.

1 week later
#127 2 years ago

Before and after with white LED's. The LED's I have do ghost, but doesn't bother me to much. I didn't know that they were going to ghost.

20170530_171546_HDR (resized).jpg
20170530_171553 (resized).jpg
20170531_205814 (resized).jpg
20170531_205804_HDR (resized).jpg

3 weeks later
#128 2 years ago

I just picked up a Big Hurt project. The cabinet is in terrible shape. The playfield and boards are all in great condition surprisingly. I am doing a full tear down but was wondering if by any chance someone had any leads to the artwork. Or maybe even the art files? I would like to restore the cabinet as the artwork is almost completely gone. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

1 week later
#129 2 years ago

Joining the club later today. I played a few games on Big Hurt yesterday and I like the shots and flow a lot. Looking forward to shopping it out and having it join the lineup.

#130 2 years ago

I shopped Big Hurt today and added white LEDs to the GI and also added two spotlights on each sling to better illuminate the middle of the dark playfield.

Anyone have a link to the manual? Or at least can someone tell me if the attract mode sound can be turned off? That announcer every 30 seconds is ANNOYING!

Super fun game though!

2 months later
#132 2 years ago

Nearly finished restoring a Big Hurt. Has many NOS parts including playfield, side art, motor and plastics. Still need to get the ramps re-plated.

20171025_171248 (resized).jpg

#133 2 years ago

wow!

more pics please!

#134 2 years ago

Hi Sports Fans!
Fellow BIG HURT owner checking in from the UK. More caretaker actually as it is on long term loan from a friend.

I have a couple of problems I am just starting to investigate:

1. Center ramp does not lift. Fuse23 (1.5A Slo-blo) was actually missing. A replacement (1.6A time-delay, closest I could source) blew first time the coil fired. Looking at assembly it has A-26646 coil (blue) installed. There is a handy coil chart tucked in an envelope in the body. Center Ramp Lift Coil (Q12) is listed as 27642 (yellow), sleeve 5065. Could it be as simple as replacing the coil with the correct part? What else should I check?

2. The top left upkicker is erratic. It can take many attempts to make it. This appears to get worse as the machine heats up, after an hours play it gives up and displays "call service" message. It had been working fine in the dozens of games we've played since setting it up yesterday. A small washer fell from that area when I opened it up, I guess I should find out where that came from!

I am working my way through the manual - any pointers on the above?

I have already fixed the drop targets (bad solder joint AND clashing with the ledge above!) and glued on a plastic flap to the ball shooter lane. Using a 3d printed plunger tip until new rubber, balls and lights arrive. Having great fun.

#135 2 years ago

So it opened it up to see what was going on with the upkicker and found the bolt shown in the photo below in the bottom of the cabinet.
Looks like this has been added to the top of the shaft at some point as the manual doesn't have show a hole there - any ideas? I guess I'll replace it and see if it works any better.
*EDIT to add: Never mind, I found the cap that the bolt was supposed to be holding on, it was nestled in some wiring. Have put that all back together and upkicker is greatly improved. Still miss fires every now and again, but usually gets it second time.

fullsizeoutput_5a (resized).jpeg
IMG_20171101_105909 (resized).jpg

#136 2 years ago
Quoted from SB2020:

1. Center ramp does not lift. Fuse23 (1.5A Slo-blo) was actually missing. A replacement (1.6A time-delay, closest I could source) blew first time the coil fired. Looking at assembly it has A-26646 coil (blue) installed. There is a handy coil chart tucked in an envelope in the body. Center Ramp Lift Coil (Q12) is listed as 27642 (yellow), sleeve 5065. Could it be as simple as replacing the coil with the correct part? What else should I check?

How is the center ramp supposed to work? I see the Raise Ramp inserts lit above the inlanes but my ramp doesn't raise when the ball hits those switches. Mine will raise during other times of the game but I can't figure out the how and why of it.

2. The top left upkicker is erratic. It can take many attempts to make it. This appears to get worse as the machine heats up, after an hours play it gives up and displays "call service" message. It had been working fine in the dozens of games we've played since setting it up yesterday. A small washer fell from that area when I opened it up, I guess I should find out where that came from!

I had to rebuild my VUK. New spring, sleeve, coil stops and mine works perfectly now. My VUK used to start out working strong when the game was first powered on, but then during the first game it would get too weak to eject the ball and an error would appear on the DMD and disable the VUK.

#137 2 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

I had to rebuild my VUK. New spring, sleeve, coil stops and mine works perfectly now. My VUK used to start out working strong when the game was first powered on, but then during the first game it would get too weak to eject the ball and an error would appear on the DMD and disable the VUK.

Hi - Thanks for the reply. Yes that describes the problem I'm having. Even with the cap back in place it is still misfiring. It seems strong enough, so maybe just misaligned somehow? I have noticed the wire cage isn't attached to the left return ramp (see picture - no bolt where it looks like there should be one) I'll try securing that and see if it helps.

EDIT to add - that seems to have done it, just kicked 10 balls in a row with no misses.

IMG_20171101_130754 (resized).jpg

#138 2 years ago

How is the center ramp supposed to work? I see the Raise Ramp inserts lit above the inlanes but my ramp doesn't raise when the ball hits those switches. The ramp will raise during other times of the game but I can't figure out the how and why of it.

#139 2 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

How is the center ramp supposed to work? I see the Raise Ramp inserts lit above the inlanes but my ramp doesn't raise when the ball hits those switches. The ramp will raise during other times of the game but I can't figure out the how and why of it.

Maybe someone with a fully working game can confirm but I think it should raise each time it hits the lane switches. If it works at other times, like when 'double' is lit, your switches may be bad. Do they register if you do a switch edge test and trigger them?

1 week later
#140 2 years ago

In other news, I turned my motor from a rabid coffee grinder back into a glove mover... a call to PBR to spec a $2 part makes it silent and reliable now. The game is so much better this way!

Do you have any further details on this? Pictures or part reference? The motor on mine is kind of grindy. Not enough for me to dissemble it to have a look right now, but I would be intrigued if it could actually be made silent.

I have other problems, funny how they keep cropping up! What I thought were dead lamps turns out to be a dead GI string, need to track down the source of that.
I have replaced the coil on the ramp and, as expected, exposed a problem with the driver (coil fires on power on). Disabled for now, I'll replace the transistor for (Q12) when I get one - I've ordered a IRL540N.

2 other problems I'm seeing:
- the balls aren't always detected in the shooter lane causing piles ups and mis-fires. I believe this to be due to the rubber shooter tip being too long or the external spring being too weak. Does anyone have a good picture of their shooter tip? The manual doesn't actually specify a rubber. Hmm.
- balls coming out of the lower right "Begin Round" VUK often bounce and fall back in. Not sure if this is alignment of the scoop or slop in the coil assembly, but we will see!

#141 2 years ago

So I figured out the issues I had with the center ramp - solved one issue and need to order a coil for the other issue.

My right inlane return (Raise Ramp insert) was saying "Out" when triggered, just like the right outlane does. In switch testing I saw the inlane switch also triggering the outlane and several unused switches. I looked up the lamp matrix and saw that L95 and L96 were on the same lamp/switch line and I had LED strips connecting to both of those sockets. Removed the LED switches and the inlane switch worked as normal only triggering itself.

During the coil test of the center ramp, the plunger isn't being pull all the way into the coil and barely lifts the ramp. Coil 25959 is incorrectly installed and I'll need to replace with the correct 27642 coil. Hopefully that is the issue, but I did replace the coil sleeve since I had one and no change.

#142 2 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

During the coil test of the center ramp, the plunger isn't being pull all the way into the coil and barely lifts the ramp.

Just a suggestion to check to EOS, it may be opening too early?

I have replaced the coil and transistor on mine and it was jittering until I cleaned and adjusted the switch. All seemed good for a day, but I had a 4 Billion+ game this afternoon and the fuse blew. I suspect the EOS or rear gate coil as this is very noisy and cause the ramp to judder when it fires.

#143 2 years ago
Quoted from SB2020:

Just a suggestion to check to EOS, it may be opening too early?

I'm going to check that, thanks. Weird because last night the ramp was raising fine, but I don't think it's doing it all the time when it's supposed to.

#144 2 years ago

Anyone looking at leaving the club because I'd like to join

#145 2 years ago

Hey all, I joined the club recently. Pretty much a barn find, with a lot of parts not working or missing. Slowly rebuilding it, but currently stuck problem solving fuse 10/11 blowing and other assorted problems. Has a little bit of playfield wear but after days of polishing it's comes up pretty decent. It starts up in attract mode but games won't start. I'll be asking questions here very soon

IMG_3043 (resized).JPG

IMG_3452 (resized).JPG

IMG_3773 (resized).JPG

2 weeks later
#146 2 years ago

20171207_171256 (resized).jpgBest mod for Big Hurt - DIY "Pinstadium" lighting. This game is so darn dark even with the spotlights I added to the slings and experimented with small LED strips here and there. I had the Metallica Creeping Death UV strips that I had used on TFTC, but since TFTC is tore apart right now I tried these out. I removed the UV LED strips from the angle plastics and replaced with white LED strips for $8.

What's funny is the creeping death lightning decals on the plastic strips perfectly fit Big Hurt. Matches up exactly with the lightning on the backbox and playfield. Very nice to be able to see the entire playfield evenly lit.

Here is before:

20171207_171249 (resized).jpg
20171207_171307 (resized).jpg
20171207_171256 (resized).jpg

And after:

20171207_171324 (resized).jpg
20171207_171328 (resized).jpg
20171207_171334 (resized).jpg
20171207_171343 (resized).jpg
20171207_171650 (resized).jpg

#147 2 years ago

Any one know where I can get this plastic part? This one is broken, Thanks

20171210_014705 (resized).jpg

#148 2 years ago

I only have only seen a plastic set once can't remember where sorry.
You can use this pinball search to find some big hurt stuff and then dig some deeper on there sites

https://www.pinballsearch.com/#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=big%20hurt

#149 2 years ago

Just got the ramps back from the chrome plating company.

20171215_122429 (resized).jpg

#150 2 years ago

I have a NOS ramp that I never mounted available for $120, i believe that its the last one available. The factory brass plating is in perfect condition. I purchased this before I decided to have my ramp and habitrails replated in chrome. PM me if interested.

20171217_175020 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 249.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Columbia, SC
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
$ 26.95
$ 62.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 190.00
Tools
PinDoc Restorations
$ 7,599.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 689.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
£ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballToys
$ 248.85
There are 203 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside