Topic Stats

• 203 posts
  • 40 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 66 days ago by jorro
  • Topic is favorited by 13 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 124 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Big Hurt decal set (resized).jpg
20181220_214742 (resized).jpg
IMG_20171226_173529 (resized).jpg
IMG_20171226_173520 (resized).jpg
20180720_123149 (resized).jpg
20180716_101344 (resized).jpg
20180716_101704 (resized).jpg
20180629_125755 (resized).jpg
20180704_110933 (resized).jpg
20180706_141652 (resized).jpg
bigHurtUnderTheHood (resized).jpg
BH1_purp (resized).jpg
BH_SM_purp (resized).jpg
BH2 (resized).jpg
BH1 (resized).jpg
20180526_213133 (resized).jpg

There are 203 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
#1 3 years ago

Got a Big Hurt?
show your'e machine, mods and share your'e experience on repairs

There are not many out there, so probably it's gonna be a little club ,but i do feel this machine deserves a club!

#2 3 years ago

and then there were two.

#3 3 years ago

yeeeeahhh no we're in bussiness its a club!
welcome

#4 3 years ago

P_20160909_133905 (resized).jpg

P_20160909_133855 (resized).jpg

P_20160909_133823 (resized).jpg

#5 3 years ago

Number 3 here

BigHurt 007_small (resized).jpg

BigHurt 010_small (resized).jpg

My playfield had a bit wear nearby the flipperbats. It plays superb however and will not leave my collection.

#6 3 years ago

Sign me up! #4

image (resized).jpeg

#7 3 years ago

its a real cool game, some real nice flow shots

does anyone know what to use for cleaning the rubber glove?
im affraid alcohol might be to abrasive

#8 3 years ago

Played it today for the first time at Crabtowne USA in Glen Burnie, MD. The game there is a little rough, but it is a fun game. Congrats!

#9 3 years ago

Just got one, patiently waited for one to come to me and it did.
Funny thing is, I was reminded about this game while on the pinball arcade, so I downloaded it to play and get used to the rules. Less than 12 hours later, someone contacted me they were ready to move their Big Hurt so I went to pick it up.

Such a unique game, smacking home runs and grands slams never gets old, the modes and combos are fun too. I really like how it keeps track of Home Runs, Grand Slams, steals, runs, etc- via the HS initials.

p.s - Tweak your settings to make the game harder, it's better.

#10 3 years ago

Here's mine, was not in too bad condition except it had the standard rusty Gottlieb rails and was a bit dirty. A new set from Railways and a good clean up by the previous owner (my dad) and it's looking good. It's next to my Play Ball that was badly repainted that I got it wrapped in the colours of the baseball team I play for.

12366249_10208387907083378_5065085820696523860_n (resized).jpg

12316525_10208387907203381_6248079156588084827_n (resized).jpg

12376074_10208387906883373_7579597604693995271_n (resized).jpg

#11 3 years ago

Previous owner of a FTBH... nice title...lots of fun to play. Gottlieb really threw a lot of stuff into this game. This game made in 2016 would cost an absolute fortune to manufacture.

Probably one of the best band for your buck games on the market

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Previous owner of a FTBH... nice title...lots of fun to play. Gottlieb really threw a lot of stuff into this game. This game made in 2016 would cost an absolute fortune to manufacture.
Probably one of the best band for your buck games on the market

There's definitely a lot doing in the game

#13 3 years ago

Hoping to join this club.... Soon.... It will be my first machine!

#14 3 years ago

The only thing wrong with the machine I am looking at is that the lower-right slingshot bumper needs a new coil. Is it easy to replace on this machine? Are they the same as every other machine or different?

For some reason I have a nightmare about the basic stuff in this machine being harder to work on the other machines.

Aah, I think I found it!

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-16570

#15 3 years ago

Hmmm.... Needs a new coil? Can you elaborate? Why do you think it needs a new coil?

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Hmmm.... Needs a new coil? Can you elaborate? Why do you think it needs a new coil?

Just going off of what the owner told me... I'm going to see the machine in person this afternoon. You're thinking it could be a fuse or switch instead? I'll have him show me. He seems like an awesome guy.

Here's has 12 machines, and works on them himself, so I trust his judgment.

Any tips are helpful!

#17 3 years ago

If he works on them, then why isnt it replaced allready?
or ask him to replace before you buy it.

isnt a difficult repair.

allways be carefull even the most friendly person can sell you a piece of crap.
not saying all do, but caution is allways the best advice.

hope it turns out good, if you ask him to fix it maybe even for a little extra cash as a beginner youlld be on the saver side.
best advice take someone who knows pins
But like everyhing if it broken you can fix it with right parts,tools,knolledge and time!

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from KillerQ:

For some reason I have a nightmare about the basic stuff in this machine being harder to work on the other machines.

I find Gottlieb's (especially Big Hurt) to be much easier to work on than Williams. The flipper pawls have these nice set screws that make flipper work a breeze, everything on the underside of the playfield is labeled, and they're just built super beefy.

I hope the machine turns out to be a winner for you! BH would be a great first game!

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from KillerQ:

Just going off of what the owner told me... I'm going to see the machine in person this afternoon. You're thinking it could be a fuse or switch instead? I'll have him show me. He seems like an awesome guy.
Here's has 12 machines, and works on them himself, so I trust his judgment.
Any tips are helpful!

The chances of it being a bad coil are low (sometimes coils go bad, but usually it's something else further up the chain)... I would assume something is wrong on the driver board. But, I could be completely wrong. Would really need to see it with my own eyes.

Typically when someone tells you its just a fuse or a part needs replacing, that's a tip-off that something much deeper is involved. As jorro says, if it were that easy he would have just done it himself.

Not to be cynical, but I've been completely screwed - twice - by other collectors that came off as totally nice guys that seemed 100% solid. Not to drone on about that here, but you need to watch out for yourself.

#20 3 years ago

Thanks! Any guidance on a specific way to test the source? Or at least that the problem isn't the coil?

#21 3 years ago
Quoted from KillerQ:

Thanks! Any guidance on a specific way to test the source? Or at least that the problem isn't the coil?

Look at the coil and see if there are signs of over heating or melting. Move the plunger by hand and see if the slingshot moves freely. (IF it does not, it locked on and you have board work and a coil to replace.) Make sure the playfield wires going to the coil haven't broken and inspect the tiny coil wires that connect to the lugs, too. Also, inspect the stand up switches behind the rubber aren't gapped too close (or too far!)

If that checks out, all the coils are individually fused under the playfield. There is a huge bank of fuses, find the one for the slingshot and test it with a multi meter. If its blown, swap in a new one (or grab one from the left slingshot ) and see what the coil does. If it energizes immediately you know you have board problems.

#22 3 years ago

could be a board problem or even as simple as bad conector or solder,
Best to tall the guy you want to buy it but only if working complete
you mentioned he works on the himself, so he must be able to fix it.

better to ask him to fix it, even if you have to pay/split the costs.

otherwise you possibly have a problem that you might not be able to fix as a beginner and costs could be higher then.

its a great game and i hope everything works out for you
but be carefull

good luck!

#23 3 years ago

couldn't resist
now only for an autographed ball!

P_20160913_190951 (resized).jpg

#24 3 years ago

Been looking for one of these for a long time. If anyone is looking at selling or trading one anytime soon, let me know.

#25 3 years ago
Quoted from jorro:

couldn't resist
now only for an autographed ball!

Nice!

#26 3 years ago

OK, just got back from looking at it. I haven't committed to it yet.

As soon as I'm done driving, I will post a detailed report and tons of pictures. It turns out that the reason that the kicker wasn't working/kicking was because the coil was removed from underneath. The switch that is behind bumper, when hit, will keep score just fine but it obviously won't kick back because of the coil missing.

Also the center ramp was not raising - I lifted the machine and also noticed that that coil was missing as well. the wire leads are there for both coils were there, just the coil itself is missing. The overall appearance of the Playfield is 9.5 out of 10

More updates, and tons of photos tonight!

#27 3 years ago

Sounds like a good find! You could have a lot of fun with the game without either of those coils working. But as long as the mechanicals are there, that's an easy fix.

Looking forward to the details!

#28 3 years ago

Did the glove move? That's an expensive part...

I'm guessing those coils were removed because of problems on the driver board.

If you are a tinker-er and don't mind rolling up your sleeves, you'll get it working (eventually). Really depends on price!

#29 3 years ago

As promised, here are a bunch of full-resolution pictures that I took.

I ran through a bunch of test modes in the time that I had, and everything seemed OK. A few bulbs were burned out. No insert burning from bulbs being on/close, so that's good....

Help me make up my mind!

Thanks!

IMG_20160913_175756.jpg
IMG_20160913_175809.jpg
IMG_20160913_175905.jpg
IMG_20160913_175907.jpg
IMG_20160913_175912.jpg
IMG_20160913_175920.jpg
IMG_20160913_175924.jpg
IMG_20160913_175932.jpg
IMG_20160913_180506.jpg
IMG_20160913_180511.jpg
IMG_20160913_180519.jpg
IMG_20160913_180533.jpg
IMG_20160913_180715.jpg
IMG_20160913_180704.jpg
IMG_20160913_180730.jpg
IMG_20160913_180733.jpg
IMG_20160913_180740.jpg
IMG_20160913_180755.jpg
IMG_20160913_181216.jpg
IMG_20160913_181222.jpg
IMG_20160913_181224.jpg
IMG_20160913_181227.jpg
IMG_20160913_181236.jpg
IMG_20160913_181239.jpg
IMG_20160913_181244.jpg
IMG_20160913_181247.jpg
IMG_20160913_181250.jpg
IMG_20160913_181605.jpg
IMG_20160913_182117.jpg
IMG_20160913_183000.jpg
IMG_20160913_183017.jpg
IMG_20160913_183011.jpg
IMG_20160913_183019.jpg
IMG_20160913_183943.jpg
IMG_20160913_183952.jpg

IMG_20160913_175819_copy-picsay.jpg

1aIMG_20160913_175749_copy-picsay.jpg

#30 3 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Did the glove move? That's an expensive part...
I'm guessing those coils were removed because of problems on the driver board.
If you are a tinker-er and don't mind rolling up your sleeves, you'll get it working (eventually). Really depends on price!

Yea, the glove moved just fine, and the switch was properly triggered when the glove was pressed back.

That's THE ONLY thing I'm afraid of is the board being the reason for the coils to have been removed.

Here's my question... If the left kicker worked perfectly, and the right kind kicker registered score correctly. But just didn't kick back, are the coils linked in such a way that if the left one worked "with the board," that the right one would also "work with the board" when It was installed.

#31 3 years ago

An overall shot...

FB_IMG_1473817868655.jpg

#32 3 years ago

I am also in the club. I have had mine on location for almost 2 years. One of my best earnings for some reason. Has even beaten games like Addams family and whirlwind.

It's great game for beginners who don't really understand pinball. Shoot the middle, get some home runs and a few multiballs. Call outs are also high energy and exciting. Mine has paid for itself a few times and has needed almost no maintenance the last year.

#33 3 years ago
Quoted from Okarcades:

I am also in the club. I have had mine on location for almost 2 years. One of my best earnings for some reason. Has even beaten games like Addams family and whirlwind.
It's great game for beginners who don't really understand pinball. Shoot the middle, get some home runs and a few multiballs. Call outs are also high energy and exciting. Mine has paid for itself a few times and has needed almost no maintenance the last year.

There are also much more complicated rule-sets as well, from what I read.... So it can appeal to more advanced players as well!

#34 3 years ago

There's also a broken stand-up target to the right of the left orbit.

#35 3 years ago
Quoted from RyThom:

There's also a broken stand-up target to the right of the left orbit.

Good eye! You mean this one? Is it supposed to match the one just to the lower left of it?

I'm assuming these can be bought for cheap and slipped on?

Thanks!

IMG_20160913_181227_copy-picsay.jpg

#36 3 years ago

Honestly, the game's issues are too complicated to diagnose with limited info and pics of the game. Perhaps you'll buy and find out the owner had removed things because he had no idea what he was doing... Or perhaps you'll buy and find out it's a mess of issues.

This just comes down to a matter of price... Is the game priced in a way that will allow you to get the issues taken care of?

Just as reference, I sold mine recently - fully shopped and LED... 100% working - for $1450.

This is not a game that commands high dollar.

My main concern is that this is your first game... And it's not working properly. Tough position to be in because you lack experience and points of reference for making decisions about how to repair.

Do you know an experienced collector that can help you in person?

#37 3 years ago

It looks like step 2g here is what I need to do to test...http://www.pinrepair.com/sys3/index.htm#driver

I'm a technical guy, and I honestly don't mind tinkering... I just wanted to have my first machine to be pretty much fully working so I can enjoy right away. Even without those two coils at the moment, it's a very fun game, and I honestly don't mind replacing the two coils.

What I AM worried about is that once I get the coils installed, I'll find out that it's some weird, board-level repair that will cost $250 plus before it's ever working...

I wonder... Should I have the guy (or do it myself) remove a coil from another area on the board and temporarily put in place of either of the two missing coils to see if they fire properly.... That may be the most straightforward test...

Actually, there are several pinball repair shops within 30 minutes of me. I am tempted to see if any of them have a coil I can buy to take to that machine to test. That seems to be the most efficient way of testing... Hmmm

Actually, the seller just texted me and said he should have a coil in his garage, and he's gonna hook it up and test it tonight....if that works, and he can show me, then we're back in action.

#38 3 years ago

In the club...Glad to be here

Big Hurt (resized).jpg

#39 3 years ago
Quoted from KillerQ:

It looks like step 2g here is what I need to do to test...http://www.pinrepair.com/sys3/index.htm#driver
I'm a technical guy, and I honestly don't mind tinkering... I just wanted to have my first machine to be pretty much fully working so I can enjoy right away. Even without those two coils at the moment, it's a very fun game, and I honestly don't mind replacing the two coils.
What I AM worried about is that once I get the coils installed, I'll find out that it's some weird, board-level repair that will cost $250 plus before it's ever working...
I wonder... Should I have the guy (or do it myself) remove a coil from another area on the board and temporarily put in place of either of the two missing coils to see if they fire properly.... That may be the most straightforward test...
Actually, there are several pinball repair shops within 30 minutes of me. I am tempted to see if any of them have a coil I can buy to take to that machine to test. That seems to be the most efficient way of testing... Hmmm
Actually, the seller just texted me and said he should have a coil in his garage, and he's gonna hook it up and test it tonight....if that works, and he can show me, then we're back in action.

you previously said the guy works on pins
just tell him you realy want to buy it but only in total working state and adjust both your price to that
if hes a real pinhead he will understand that its your first machine and youre not a pinball repair guy ( jet )

better to start with a fully functional pin and learn allong the way!
price/state is leading

#40 3 years ago
Quoted from KillerQ:

Good eye! You mean this one? Is it supposed to match the one just to the lower left of it?
I'm assuming these can be bought for cheap and slipped on?
Thanks!

if i'm not mistaking this is the target youre looking for

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/29430Z

easy repair for beginner
power off /unplug
open coindoor ,pull down lockbar lock
remove lockbar and slide out glass
pull back plunger lift playfield and put in most upward position be carefull it doesnt slam down!
locate target , push the plastic lock on conector and disconect cable, unscrew target and gently pull out target
then place the new one and reverse previous steps
most of times they work good straight out of the box ,but sometimes need a little adjustment
you can buy a target adjust tool thingy for that

that could be your first simple and fun repair!
not dificult for a beginner!

#41 3 years ago
Quoted from jorro:

if i'm not mistaking this is the target youre looking for
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/29430Z
easy repair for beginner
power off /unplug
open coindoor ,pull down lockbar lock
remove lockbar and slide out glass
pull back plunger lift playfield and put in most upward position be carefull it doesnt slam down!
locate target , push the plastic lock on conector and disconect cable, unscrew target and gently pull out target
then place the new one and reverse previous steps
most of times they work good straight out of the box ,but sometimes need a little adjustment
you can buy a target adjust tool thingy for that
that could be your first simple and fun repair!
not dificult for a beginner!

Hey, thanks for the info!

#42 3 years ago

All - What is a good price for a BH in decent shape? I am looking for one in the Atlanta area....

#43 3 years ago

My dad had a Big Hurt that he restored, but he sold it earlier this year. I really do miss playing it. Underrated Sys3 IMO.

#44 3 years ago

Did you silver plate your gold rails?

#45 3 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

All - What is a good price for a BH in decent shape? I am looking for one in the Atlanta area....

$1300-$1500

#46 3 years ago
Quoted from KillerQ:

Did you silver plate your gold rails?

no theyre just silver
bought it like that
maybe european version has no gold , or previous owner scraped the gold off he is dutch lol

#47 3 years ago

Tomorrow's the big (Hurt) day for me... Can't wait!

#48 3 years ago
Quoted from KillerQ:

What happened with the owner checking the coils for you?

#49 3 years ago
Quoted from KillerQ:

keep us posted!

#50 3 years ago

Did any of you install your own LEDs on your big hurt? What did you find that worked bed? I'm keen to the frosted ones to help diffuse the light...

I'm looking through all my options...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 249.00
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 209.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 499.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Great American Pinball
$ 26.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 20.00
Lighting - Other
Professor Pinball
$ 16.00
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
DevilsMuse Arcade
$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
There are 203 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside