• 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by blue95
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

12376074_10208387906883373_7579597604693995271_n (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bdPinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

I got my first DMD game last night, I'm not sure if it was stolen, or what, but I've paid a lot more for games that were not as fun!

And, I know there are people who have problems with Gottlieb hardware. Other than this game, I too am skeptical of Gottlieb quality, gameplay, design, artwork, promotional-tie-in-less games, etc.

But this game is a HELL of a lot of fun! It's go so many modes, and sub-games, I'm not sure I"ll ever figure out how to play it correctly!

--

Now down to it's issues-

The side rails are rusty! I've seen Gottlieb side rails corrode before, On my MonteCarlo (Premier) the side rails are the textured kind, but those too ended up with some sort of rust on them. A wire brush and it seems to return them to nearly shiny status.

Does anyone else have any suggestions for what to do about these Patina covered Siderails? I wire brushed one in the corner a little, (This is the BH now) and of course I got the obligatory cloud of rusty particles, but after I got past the rust layer, I thought it cleaned up rather nice. I could spray them with Clear, like I did with the drop target assemblies, that worked pretty good, except with that you don't touch it all the time. I could see the clear chipping away pretty quickly with physical touching.

A friend of mine told me about some sort of Penterant stuff made out of linseed oil that coats and seals metal parts against rust. I only ever found it as an attative for paint, so I'm not sure if you can just paint the stuff on by itself or not.

Maybe I remove them and take them down the road to the chrome shop! I bet they'd look pretty sweet with a mirror finish!

Oh, and the ball rails are beginning to tarnish as well... And those are supposed to be chromed, right?

-Brian

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from amkoepfer:

I believe the habitrails are gold colored on this game. Gottlieb side rails suck, replacement is the best option

GOLD? Well.. That might explain the color! I thought it was sort of strange the rust that didn't really seem like full-on rust. Can a person just take those habitrails and get them re-chromed or something? (Re-"Golded"??)

Yes. Gottlieb side rails DO suck. That MonteCarlo I picked up the other had some textured rails - REALLY bad carrion on them - and I don't know if the wire brush will ever really do the trick. Replacement.

Anything else I should know about this game? (Yes, I know- It's a Gottlieb) But as far as maintenance, or cleaning-

Here's something- All the rubbers on the game are either black, or green. My understanding is that black rubbers are great for operators who have their games out in the field and don't get the chance to clean as often as is really necessary to keep a pin looking good, but white ones are preferred? What is the deal with these green ones?

The shooter tip on this game is made out of some funky Red siliconeish type stuff - the same stuff that the green rubbers are. The tip had been completely destroyed and when I got it I was metal-on-metal for the shootertip, which was mushroomed over so no telling how long it had been like that.

-Brian

#7 7 years ago

I reset all the scores, and set it to "easy" for the time being. Maybe I'm not as great at pinball as I thought I was! After watching someone trick-shot this Ghostbusters in the tournament this weekend I realize there is always lots to learn.

I was never really a fan of the EM gottliebs, I just always liked Williams better. I was very happy when they were one of the last manufacturers standing. But anyway, No, i never liked the Em flippers. Maybe now that I do more slap shots I'd have more fun with one. Someone called me wanting to sell me an ElDorado today, but I really have NO room at all for any games at all, and I still have a Circus coming tomorrow. Circus, Big Hurt, and MonteCarlo. ENOUGH with the Gottliebs for a while! Maybe some Data East or something.

What sort of options are there for re-coating these rails? What WAS this originally? K-Mart Spray paint or something? Why did it tarnish so badly? So, there is Powder Coat, Paint - like Professional Body shop type, Chrome, Maybe some crazy wire brush pattern like the racing guys do on their tool box, and then seal that somehow? Nonono.. I've seen home-made painting - Testers, and I'm thinking this last one was white-out, and also fixing games with whatever you have laying around from installing some blinds. Whatever I do to the rails, I don't want it to stick out horribly like- "Oh brother that is gaudy!" or "Why on earth did he do THAT?"

I'll look at some of the Restore pages.

-Brian

-Brian

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from blue95:

There's a guy in Australia that does repro rails that fit Gottlieb DMDs, they are a must for anyone that has one down here. There would have to be someone where you are making them.

I'm Suprised, and pleased at how popular this pin is. Some of these earlier DMD, or later AM pinballs this, or Mousin' Around, have pretty cool rule-sets, but are relatively un-known, and therefore still in the price-range of mortals such as myself. I guess I'm a more quantity kinda guy..

-Brian

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TENNESSEE
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bdPinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/big-hurt-big-patina?tu=bdPinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.