(Topic ID: 267620)

Big Guns: That Tricky Troll Switch (#39)

By vindic8r

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by vindic8r
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

troll switch 1 (resized).jpg
troll switch 2 (resized).jpg

#1 3 years ago

My Big Guns started throwing an adjust switch error (#39, Left Troll) a little while back that has me stumped. If I lift up the playfield then then lower it again, the error goes away for a while. But it eventually comes back after a day or two (sometimes even only a few hours). As you can see from the photo, the contacts have plenty of clearance, and the switch fires consistently when hit during play. I'm feeling like there could be some sort of short or loose wire, but when I pulled the switch out to adjust it, everything looked groovy. I stupidly put it back in before taking a photo, but here are a couple of shots to give an idea of what it looks like installed.
troll switch 1 (resized).jpgtroll switch 1 (resized).jpg
Boy oh boy, is it cramped in there! I wonder if perhaps the wiring harness superhighway nearby is perhaps putting pressure on one of the diode solder joins and perhaps causing it to go in and out of circuit? Would that cause this? Or am I totally barking up the wrong tree here?

Any thoughts on what to try next would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

troll switch 2 (resized).jpgtroll switch 2 (resized).jpg
#2 3 years ago
Quoted from vindic8r:

Any thoughts on what to try next would be greatly appreciated.

That bundle of wires running off the playfield is a source of concern. Be sure it moves freely off the playfield going into the bottom of the cabinet. You could push the bundle up to give it a little slack. Or pull the switch wires out of the white wire holder so they don't move with the whole cable.

LTG : )

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

You could push the bundle up to give it a little slack. Or pull the switch wires out of the white wire holder so they don't move with the whole cable.

I just went ahead and pulled the switch wires out of the wire holder, making sure they had a decent bit of slack now. And thus far (it's been a few days now, knock on wood), everything seems to be golden. Thanks, @ltg!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 150.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop
Displays
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/big-guns-that-tricky-troll-switch-39- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.