8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Pin-up
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pin-up.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

There is no background music on my Williams Big Guns, and there is a full column of lights out.

For the column of lights, I would think I should just replace the proper transistor for that column, in this case Q52 in column 8, as indicated on the lamp matrix. Is this correct? Of course, this is after verifying continuity in the wiring and that the connectors are solid with no cold solder joints, ect.

For the sound issue, at power on, you hear one bong, and it boots into attract mode and is fully playable. According to the manual, one bong at power up means the audio board circuitry is good.

Pressing the sound test switch (SW1) on the main CPU produced the 2 proper test sounds, which indicate that the CVSD and DAC sound circuits are functioning properly. This *should* also indicate that U21, U22, and U23 are good.

In diagnostic testing mode, during the SOUND test, all sounds are heard properly from 00-07.

In diagnostic testing mode, during the MUSIC test, NO sounds are heard from 01-06.

What could be the issue here?

UPDATE: I just went through and reseated all the chips in sockets on the MPU, since I already did this on the audio board earlier with no change. When I remove a chip, I also clean up all of the legs on each chip before I reinstall them, making sure to power the game on again and check for any changes after each chip.

I have already checked all boards for cold solder joints and cleaned all connector pins.

In this case, I got through all of the chips with no change, until I removed chip U25 (the last one to do in my case) and cleaned it's legs. This chip was filthy for some reason, WAY more than any other chip. When I reinstalled, I got 5 beeps at power up, which I had not gotten before. You still hear the single "bong" indicating that the audio board circuitry is OK, as well as hearing 5 separate tones. According to the manual, this is an indication that U22 is bad. I removed U22 and replaced the socket, since it looks to be one of the horrid Scanbe type that only contacts one side of the chip leg. Installed the new socket and put the chip back. I still get the 5 tones, so I ordered up a set of sound/speech ROM chips.

I'm going to guess that something that routes through U25 has to do with sound/speech and wasn't actually making the proper connections so that the bad U22 indication wasn't sounding at boot up.

I'll update when I get my new sound/speech chip set and install it.

As for all of the lights in column 8 being out, am I correct in assuming I should just replace Q52 (TIP42) and all should be well?

1 week later
#2 8 years ago

UPDATE from today. The light issue is fixed. All lights and features work as they should now.

Except, there is STILL NO MUSIC.

I just installed a NEW set of sound chips (U4/U19 on the audio board, and U21/U22 on the main pcb).

I no longer get the 5 tones at power up, and only hear the single bong, that indicates the audio board circuitry is good.

Pressing the sound test switch on the main CPU produces the proper 2 sounds indicating that the CVSD and DAC sound circuits are functioning properly, and that U21/U22/U23 are good.

In diagnostic testing mode, during the SOUND test, all sounds are heard properly from 00-07.

In diagnostic testing mode, during the MUSIC test, NO sounds are heard from 01-06.

Any suggestions on where to go from here?

I don't have a probe, but I would guess there is a chip I need to probe for a signal to see if the music is coming into and out of that chip during the MUSIC test in the diagnostics. Is that correct?

Thanks,
Kevin

#4 8 years ago

Issue probably resolved!

I missed a tiny bit of battery acid corrosion on the PIA just below the battery holder. It took out about 4-6 of the upper left legs on the chip (as positioned, mounted in the back box), and 2 of the traces on the PCB that go directly to the audio board ribbon cable. I've removed the battery holder to make sure there was no more corrosion under it, installed a new socket and PIA, and I'll work to rebuild the 2 traces on the board next.

Yeah!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball
Plastics
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pin-up.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/big-guns-system-11-no-background-musiccolumn-of-lights-out?tu=Pin-up and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.