Topic poll

“Big guns or jokerz!”

• Big guns 14 votes
    58%
  • Jokerz 10 votes
    42%

(24 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

#1 8 years ago

Bored waiting around for a mousin around, and thinking about buying another cheap system 11.. one that is readily available, like the big guns, jokerz or fire.

Which do you prefer?

Thanks!

Poll added but forgot to add fire. oops.

#2 8 years ago

I really like Big Guns. It is fast and can be brutal.

More people will probably point you toward Fire!. It probably has better long term playability and the theme is more appealing to most people.

#3 8 years ago

Big guns is the best of the bunch.

Firewood! is absolutely terrible. There's not one thing this game gets right beyond the cool flames insert. Linear play, zero flow, lame code, awful sound (speech quality would embarrass a System 80 Gottlieb), and it's ugly. That translite looks really bad. Best purchased for someone with a fireman in the family, or someone who needs a place to fold their laundry.

Jokerz isn't bad. But the whole "double your score" thing I'm not a huge fan of. It also has a problematic one-time-only sound board that is prone to static and isn't the easiest to service. Since they only used it once. The code is super shallow and not that interesting. The nicest looking of these games.

Big Guns has the best replayability of the three. The top pf action with the drops is great, it has a really fun multiball, an the invicibility bit is great. I also like the sound and theme, and the catapults and bagatelle are great gimmicks. Awesome skill shot also. Not exactly deep but best code of the bunch. One of those multiballs that you always feel next time you can do a little better. Ugly cabinet and generally unappealing art through I do like the translite and humor.

#4 8 years ago

Fire has a freakin' bell, you can't get a better trigger for that Pavlovian pinball dopamine than a bell. No Stern screech of death or annoying knocker, a bell. Why do you think Taxi is often considered the best System 11, smooth ramps, great shots, fun theme and rules? No it also has a god damn bell.

#5 8 years ago

For me it would be:

1. Fire!
2. Big Guns (Previously owned)
3. Jokerz

#6 8 years ago

Really no jokerz love?

I would've thought the consensus would've been: fire, jokerz, big guns.

#7 8 years ago

I can't decide I like all three. sorry haha

#8 8 years ago

I'm in the minority, I'd choose Jokerz! It's a fun theme, fun multiball, good looking game, and pretty approachable for guests. I'm also not a fan of the double your score, but I guess that would make it even more appealing to guests. I'm also a sucker for mechanically animated backglass

Been awhile since I saw a Fire! Wow, that translite is really ugly. I recall enjoying playing Fire! and Big Guns, but not enough to own. I do love the fire effect on the playfield -- again a sucker for mechanical animation.

I currently have a Jokerz! in pieces. Plan on getting to that next. It's not the deepest game, but it just such a fun theme. When I hear it, I have to smile. It's some good 80s Sys 11 cheese.

Good luck in your decision!

#9 8 years ago

I've owned all three and Big Guns has been here since 1998 I think? The other two didn't last but a few games.

John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, MI.
269-979-3836

#10 8 years ago

Isn't the symmetrical-ness of big guns and fire! a turn off?

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Isn't the symmetrical-ness of big guns and fire! a turn off?

Jokerz! is pretty symmetrical as well. So is Attack from Mars.

I never even considered that when comparing these games, but then I've owned dozens of symmetrical EM games. there's plenty to shoot at on both sides in Big Guns at different times so not an issue for me.

#12 8 years ago

Does big guns have a jackpot? Seems like just 2x scoring during multiball.

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Does big guns have a jackpot? Seems like just 2x scoring during multiball.

Yes, I think it's a roving shot to either the side locks and top MB start shot, but I don't remember, it's been a while. I don't think it's a progressive jackpot, it's a couple hundred thousand a shot. You don't just shoot the balls mindlessly around there's always a scoring shot.

You go invicinble for X amount of seconds when you start mulitball, and in that time you have to pick off all of the middle standups to light jackpot I believe. That's what makes it interesting code.

#14 8 years ago

Here's a more accurate explanation from a rulesheet. Like I said very good multiball rules with multiple stages and relightable jackpots:

Multi-Ball

During Multi-Ball, all scores are doubled, with the exception of Queens Rescue. There is a 'traveling' Load Cannon light, moving from Left to Center to Right Cannon, then starting over at the Left Cannon. Placing any ball in the lit cannon will start INVINCIBLE/Queens' Rescue. During INVINCIBLE, the Kickback, Gate and Center Post are un-expireable. INVINCIBLE lasts a set amount of time, usually about 15 seconds; the displays show the time remaining. At the start of INVINCIBLE, the 6 center (3 green and 3 red) guards are lit. Hitting all 6 of these Guards scores Queen's Rescue, ranging from 300K to 3M. When scored, Queen's Rescue resets to 300K, and increments gradually during every Multi-Ball session. It is possible to score multiple Queen's Rescues on a single Multi-Ball by reloading the lit Cannon after the Queen's Rescue animation is finished.

#15 8 years ago

Big Guns, then Jokerz, and Fire at distant (and I mean distant) third. If we were going by artwork, I'd reverse the order.

#16 8 years ago

Thanks guys.

#17 8 years ago

I love my fire so I'm biased. I owned a jokerz!.. The side ramps are neat, as is the lifting center ramp for ball lock, but it's only a 2-ball multiball. The music is pretty good but the giggling sound effects got on my nerves. Big guns isn't bad, and is usually reasonably priced, but a VERY tall backbox.

#18 8 years ago

I own a very nice fire! And I grew up playing the piss out of Big Guns. Big Guns has a very similar layout to Fire! But is a much better game. Big guns has way more going on and the multiball is way better than Fire! If you get jackpot in Fire! That's it. Nothing else to do. The way you advance bonus X in fire! Is much easier than big guns. Just takes one shot. Big Guns bonus X advancement is much more rewarding/challenging.

Also, the rescue ramps on fire! Do nothing. If you want to shoot them to earn an extra ball, fine. Other than that they serve no purpose. Fire! Is a good competition game as it is pretty tough and has a pretty rewarding skill shot and some decent strategy on getting to multiball, but for everything that Fire! Does well, Big Guns does it waaaay better.

Also, that Bell is horrible. Haha

Also remember big guns has a very tall backbox so be mindful if your ceilings are low

Sorry cannot comment on Jokerz. I have never played it.

#19 8 years ago

It's surprising hearing so much positive on Big Guns when it's always been the cheapest system 11 around.

I've bought working Big Guns over the past 10 years or so for $500, $500, $600,$700 and free. Nowadays you can still get them for under $1,000.

Back when I got my first one, you could get NOS translites and plastic sets dirt cheap. I mean like $20 each. Don't know if that supply has dried up or not.

Big Guns is a great game, but for some reason it's never been very popular. Might be the oddball theme, lack of ramps, that ridiculously tall backbox (which is pretty cool when the flasher is going off). But then none of the games in this thread have ever been very popular.

#20 8 years ago

Fire! Best of the 3!

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

I've owned all three and Big Guns has been here since 1998 I think? The other two didn't last but a few games.

I played it at one of your events and wanted one ever since. I finally got one and it's really fun. It's not the most complex game, but it's fun to play.

I recently played a Fire, but not enough to say how much I like it.

So, I'm going Big Guns for the win!

#22 8 years ago

I have played all three multiple times. I like Jokerz the most for the theme and art package and the double score doesn't bother me. Big Guns is next and then Fire at a distant 3rd.

#23 8 years ago

I have owned all 3 and give Big Guns the slight edge over the other 2. Then Fire and Jokerz are tied. Still own and enjoy Fire, and would own either of the other 2 again in the future if the right deal came along. I was at the PHOF 3 weeks ago and the first game I played there was Jokerz.

#24 8 years ago

I like jokerz, fire was OK, the only big guns that I have played was a total turd so I am going easy on it till I play a better one.

#25 8 years ago

I know where there is a jokerz for sale 950.00

#26 8 years ago

Sorry, I'm not very good at the pick "one".
Just by all 3 and keep the one you like the most.

#27 8 years ago

I want a couple System 11 around and I like Jokerz so I'm planning to pickup one at some point to put next to Space Station. I liked Fire when I first played it but I though it got old pretty fast. I have never played Big Guns but after reading all of the comments I need to check it out.

#28 8 years ago

I'd have a Big Guns before the other two games, with fire coming in second. I played Jokerz at a show last year. I didn't not like it, but it underwhelmed me. I felt that the stereo sound was underused, and kinda lame, and the shots on the playfield didn't seem as varied as they could've been. The artwork on it is nice though.

I've always really liked the music and sounds on big guns, even if the theme and art direction are odd. But it's huge back box and nice light shows make it a commanding addition to a lineup.

At the end of the day though, it boils down to what you like and what you're willing to spend your money on.

#29 8 years ago

I own FIRE! and Jokerz! and have played Big Guns once...I would take Jokerz! (gotta finish my NOS PF swap and get her in the lineup) first, then FIRE! even though FIRE! really doesn't have much to do game play wise, I would pick it over Big Guns in the long run as it just really did nothing for me when I played it...

Phoebe

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

2,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bellefonte, PA
Machine - For Sale
Davenport, FL
1,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Newburgh, NY
$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

2,850 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Eagan, MN
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/big-guns-or-jokerz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.