Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by wayout440
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

My friend picked up a Williams Big Guns machine that we have been working trough various problems with.
I am looking for some ideas about this issue though. It is failing the boot up test with switch 5 which according to the manual is center coin slot. The problem is the machine does not have a center coin slot so why is it looking for that switch? Is it a bug in the ROM?
I understand the concept of the test:
"If a switch is not activated in 30 games, or is permanently closed, the switch is assumed to be bad. This will create a test report, which is shown when the game is turned on. If a particular feature of a game is difficult to score, it's associated switch may be (falsely) assumed bad (if not activated in 30 games). To correct the test report, remove the playfield glass, and activate the switch by hand within a game, or within the diagnostics switch edge test. "
But there is no switch to activate. I have actually looked at schematics and found the pin on the board that coincides with switch 5 and jumped it with a test lead and it cleared the error but sure enough after 30 games it's back. Is there a way to stop it form looking for that switch?
Thanks!

#2 7 years ago
Quoted from arachnofreak:

My friend picked up a Williams Big Guns machine that we have been working trough various problems with.
I am looking for some ideas about this issue though. It is failing the boot up test with switch 5 which according to the manual is center coil slot. The problem is the machine does not have a center coil slot so why is it looking for that switch? Is it a bug in the ROM?
I understand the concept of the test:
"If a switch is not activated in 30 games, or is permanently closed, the switch is assumed to be bad. This will create a test report, which is shown when the game is turned on. If a particular feature of a game is difficult to score, it's associated switch may be (falsely) assumed bad (if not activated in 30 games). To correct the test report, remove the playfield glass, and activate the switch by hand within a game, or within the diagnostics switch edge test. "
But there is no switch to activate. I have actually looked at schematics and found the pin on the board that coincides with switch 5 and jumped it with a test lead and it cleared the error but sure enough after 30 games it's back. Is there a way to stop it form looking for that switch?
Thanks!

What version ROMs are you using?

#3 7 years ago

Are you meaning to say COIN slot?

#4 7 years ago

Yes sorry, coin. Auto-correct screwing with me. They appear to be factory roms but we don't know the history of this machine at all. Some repairs that were done previously to it are not pretty I'll just say.

#5 7 years ago

Hmmm, never heard of that. I have a few system 11 games, and they have coin slots but I don't start them using coins, I have them set to free play. Have you tried setting the game adjustment #23 to free play? The only other thing I can think of would be the ROM version as the cause.

#6 7 years ago

Then that's the center coin slot in the door.

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Hmmm, never heard of that. I have a few system 11 games, and they have coin slots but I don't start them using coins, I have them set to free play. Have you tried setting the game adjustment #23 to free play? The only other thing I can think of would be the ROM version as the cause.

No we havn't tried that, will give it a try. So on free play by right it should not check any coin slot switches?
Thanks

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

Then that's the center coin slot in the door.

There is no center coin slot in the door. Only left and right. The left and right switches work fine and they pass the boot test fine.

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from arachnofreak:

No we havn't tried that, will give it a try. So on free play by right it should not check any coin slot switches?
Thanks

Logically, I would think the game ignores coin slot switch inactivity in free play. It's just a guess on my part since I never get an error like that. It does make sense getting the error when set to coin play and a coin slot malfunctions, because an operator would want to know if the game was not able to take coins.

#10 7 years ago

I just found a pictures of Big Guns with a center coin slot and some without so this must have been an option on some machines. This machine looks like it's been through a lot so who knows if this is the original setup or original CPU board. I would guess there is a mismatch somewhere or the wrong rom from a machine that had a center coin slot.

#11 7 years ago

All of them had the option for a center coin slot.

If you look at the cabinet wiring schematics you will see that pin 9 of 7P1 is for the center coin slot.

If the coin door did not have a center coin slot connector 7J1 did not have a wire at pin 9.

All of the coin switches, the slam tilt switch, and the high score reset switch are tied to a common return at pin 5 of 7P1/7J1.

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from WonkoTSane:

All of them had the option for a center coin slot.
If you look at the cabinet wiring schematics you will see that pin 9 of 7P1 is for the center coin slot.
If the coin door did not have a center coin slot connector 7J1 did not have a wire at pin 9.
All of the coin switches, the slam tilt switch, and the high score reset switch are tied to a common return at pin 5 of 7P1/7J1.

Correct. All those switches - HS reset, slam and coin chutes - are a part of the switch matrix. The only way to have the game ignore them is to set it up in software, so either a feature change or the ROM version would be what you want to investigate further.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Davenport, FL
1,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Newburgh, NY
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Franklin, VA
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 22.50
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/big-guns-looking-for-non-existent-switch and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.