• Latest reply 6 years ago by pintechev
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

loose wire (resized).jpg

#1 6 years ago

I finally finished shopping my new Big Guns and powered it up for play...and the left flippers don't work. What a let down after hours of takedown, cleaning, waxing, rubber and lamp replacement, etc.!

I'm trying to debug this gremlin and would love some guidance. I first checked voltage on the Aux PS at 5J12, pins 2 and 4. I am getting 73 VDC there on both pins, which seems to be in line. But what next? I'm trying to follow the GRY-YEL wire along its path to the flippers, but its super tough to do visually. And while the wiring diagram seems to indicate that the GRY-YEL splits into BLK-BLU and BLU-GRY at some point, I can't seem to find out where.

I should note that all fuses check out fine and that every other coil in the game (and flashers) fire as normal in coil test.

Any guidance or pointers in the right direction here would be fantastic. Many thanks in advance!

#2 6 years ago

I think it splits at the flipper coils. One from each coil to each of the stacked switches at the flipper buttons and then Org-gry from there to ground.

Do you see the right voltage on the blu blk and blu gry at flipper switches?

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from ajfclark:

Do you see the right voltage on the blu blk and blu gry at flipper switches?

Nope. I'm getting 0 VDC on BLU-BLK and BLU-GRY vs. 72 VDC on the opposite lugs for the right flipper switches.

How do I continue to trace this back?

#4 6 years ago

With the meter set to continuity. Find where the wire stops on its way to the driver board.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

With the meter set to continuity. Find where the wire stops on its way to the driver board.

Found it! Tracing the GRY-YEL from the driver board all the way down, I was wiggling the harness it was in to find the wire and accidentally leaned up against the left flipper button at the same time. WHAM, it engaged (and scared the snot out of me in the process)! Looking closer at the upper L flipper coil, there it was, clear as day. The GRY-YEL had come off. It momentarily made contact while I was jiggling the harness, and I just happened to hit the button at that exact moment. Crazy. Even crazier is that I didn't notice it before. Lesson learned for next time.

A little solder (maybe more than a little) and this puppy is rocking and rolling! So happy to have this one ready to play again.

Thanks, all!

loose wire (resized).jpgloose wire (resized).jpg

#6 6 years ago

Nice work!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
2,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cary, NC
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/big-guns-left-flippers-outage and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.