Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20200308_200423173 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200308_185733641 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200308_185613709 (resized).jpg
20191125_194349 (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

I have been wanting to upgrade the lamps in my Big Guns to LED and I am seeing different and old info about doing so. I am thinking about getting them from www.cometpinball.com I think I can just drop them.in? However I have seen things about modifying things or adding in extra boards. Educate me or point me to where the info is. Also is there a better place or maker to get LEDs?

Thanks

#2 4 years ago
Quoted from Mibagent_x:

I have been wanting to upgrade the lamps in my Big Guns to LED and I am seeing different and old info about doing so. I am thinking about getting them from www.cometpinball.com I think I can just drop them.in? However I have seen things about modifying things or adding in extra boards. Educate me or point me to where the info is. Also is there a better place or maker to get LEDs?
Thanks

I used Comet LEDs in my Big Guns. They look awesome. No need to modify anything. I used a mix of flat top warm white ( think they discontinued the flat tops) and 4smd green for the slingshots. Sunlight for inserts and other places that are good with a brighter washed out color (not under the plastics). Frosted warm white dome lights where the general illumination lamps lay on their sides under the brick pattern plastics. Blue, green, sunlight and amber 4smd lamps for the backbox. I used sunlight frosted leds in the back playfield panel brickwork under the backbox. I think they look too washed out there and will eventually swap them with warm white (see pic). Also found several flaky sockets too that I still need to get around to replacing. Note: the lamps under the inserts from 8x down to 2x are still incadescent since I ran out of sunlight wedge leds- you can see the difference in the picture)
20191125_194349 (resized).jpg20191125_194349 (resized).jpg

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from Yoreland:

I used Comet LEDs in my Big Guns. They look awesome. No need to modify anything. I used a mix of flat top warm white ( think they discontinued the flat tops) and 4smd green for the slingshots. Sunlight for inserts and other places that are good with a brighter washed out color (not under the plastics). Frosted warm white dome lights where the general illumination lamps lay on their sides under the brick pattern plastics. Blue, green, sunlight and amber 4smd lamps for the backbox. I used sunlight frosted leds in the back playfield panel brickwork under the backbox. I think they look too washed out there and will eventually swap them with warm white (see pic). Also found several flaky sockets too that I still need to get around to replacing. Note: the lamps under the inserts from 8x down to 2x are still incadescent since I ran out of sunlight wedge leds- you can see the difference in the picture)
[quoted image]

I have flat tops , if you want some pm me,

I have all flat tops in my big guns, as well as Flat top Flashers

Looks amazing!

#4 4 years ago

Awesome thanks guys. Now I just need to make a list of what I need/want.

Tim

#5 4 years ago

Buy in bulk. Put frosted warm white bulbs everywhere. Smd bulbs. The twins.

Most inserts are 555 or wedge base. The rest are 44/47 or bayonet base.

If you stick with warm white everywhere you don’t need to count bulbs. Just buy a couple hundred of each base type.

Leave the flasher bulbs incandescent

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Buy in bulk. Put frosted warm white bulbs everywhere. Smd bulbs. The twins.
Most inserts are 555 or wedge base. The rest are 44/47 or bayonet base.
If you stick with warm white everywhere you don’t need to count bulbs. Just buy a couple hundred of each base type.
Leave the flasher bulbs incandescent

Chuck I used to think the same about flashers, until I found the flat tops, they are just right!

But you are quite correct about buying one type I'm bulk

#7 4 years ago

A nice clean new or cleaned up incandescent flasher is all I’ll ever need. I’ll come close to throwing up using anything LED for flashers.

#8 4 years ago

Big Guns is a hard game to light because there are so many dark spots in the upper 2/3rds of the playfield.

I lit all of the GI with comet 2smd frosted warm whites. Most of the GI in the backbox I used 1smd warm white frosted. All of the inserts are 1smd color coded to the color of the insert. 2 fire bulbs were used on the backbox behind the art where there were explosions.... one on each side. We also used a slow color changer behind that planet with the eyeball. It looks cool, and gives it a little animation without detracting from the artwork.

I also added 4 4"frosted warm white strips to address the upper playfield darkness. One above each cannon on metal brackets I made up to aim the light towards the center. One above each of the troll horseshoes behind the drop targets. None of these are visible while playing, but they sure do throw a lot of much needed light.

IMG_20200308_185613709 (resized).jpgIMG_20200308_185613709 (resized).jpg

The flashers are regular 89's and 1251's, and are plenty bright.

All in all we're extremely pleased with how it came out. It used to be the darkest game in our line up before the addition of the 4 strips.
IMG_20200308_185733641 (resized).jpgIMG_20200308_185733641 (resized).jpg

IMG_20200308_200423173 (resized).jpgIMG_20200308_200423173 (resized).jpg

(I still can't get the exposure right on my phone's camera)

I experimented with different whites, but it always looked odd with them. Color coding the GI led's to the plastics of the translight always IMHO looks pukey. It washes out all of the great artwork Anghelo did, and is super distracting while playing.

Like what was said above by chuckwurt I'd buy a ton of warm white frosteds, and put them everywhere. You can always experiment later and make it however you like it.

Have fun!

-Paul

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Franklin, VA
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 22.50
1,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Newburgh, NY
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Davenport, FL
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/big-guns-led-upgrade and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.