20231104_205717 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20230930_204132_Chrome (resized).jpg
20230926_173028 (resized).jpg
Big Guns Explanation (resized).jpg
694DD593-96EA-4727-8B2A-213A25996CEA (resized).jpeg
3D293D4B-2EE3-4CF7-A0E1-17DD00A57BD9 (resized).jpeg
AE483A7A-8EA0-44B3-BCB7-65CAE99A719A (resized).jpeg
2A05DE6E-5B9A-4BA1-A7F9-7B85E8C6F446 (resized).jpeg
There are 843 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 17.
#401 7 years ago

Greetings,
Just picked up a BG two weeks ago. Decent condition outside of some surface rust and dead bulbs. I've performed the usual maintenance and she's humming along. The only strange thing is that the the 89 flashers up top/center are constantly on at 31.5V. I tossed in some 1251 bulbs and it's like staring into God's flashlight. Anyone have any idea what root cause would cause this type of failure mode? Bad resistor on the lower board? Shot diode on the Aux power board?
Thanks!
Smithers

13383981_10206708771426179_1155439466_o_(resized).jpg13383981_10206708771426179_1155439466_o_(resized).jpg

2 months later
#402 7 years ago

Joined the club on Saturday!! Got a few minor things to address and rebuild. Also will upgrade the rom so the cannons clear and the ending extra ball lane changes.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#403 7 years ago

On page 1 someone mentioned 83" of clearance for this game. Can someone please measure their's and let me know for sure what the full height is?
I have a chance to get one of these to work on.

#404 7 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

On page 1 someone mentioned 83" of clearance for this game. Can someone please measure their's and let me know for sure what the full height is?
I have a chance to get one of these to work on.

Tallest point on mine is 81" with 27" back legs and 28.5" front legs.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just realized reading through this thread my 12-6756 wireform is missing on the center cannon.....that explains a lot. Any source for these or just bend one up?

#405 7 years ago
Quoted from smitherssp:

Greetings,
Just picked up a BG two weeks ago. Decent condition outside of some surface rust and dead bulbs. I've performed the usual maintenance and she's humming along. The only strange thing is that the the 89 flashers up top/center are constantly on at 31.5V. I tossed in some 1251 bulbs and it's like staring into God's flashlight. Anyone have any idea what root cause would cause this type of failure mode? Bad resistor on the lower board? Shot diode on the Aux power board?
Thanks!
Smithers

Sounds like you have a closed short to the bulbs. Run the diagnostics and see if you get an error message. The manual for this machine if you dont have it is here http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/250/Williams_1987_Big_Guns_Manual.pdf. the Lamp matrix is on page 52 an tells you which wires go to those flashers, I would start there and trace the wires.

lamp test diagnostics can be found on page 27

#406 7 years ago
Quoted from smitherssp:

Greetings,
Thanks!
Smithers

Also I see you are getting an error popper front left. if I am not mistaken that popper is tied to the flasher, which means the short is probably there. If you look at the second page you will notice on the solenoid table the ball popper flasher. gives a list of wire colors, transistors, solenoid etc. Start your trouble shooting there

Good Luck

3 months later
#407 7 years ago

Can any body snap me a pic of left cannon switch wiring please.... I too am having problem with cannon lock

#408 7 years ago

Also any idea where this wire is supposed to go

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

3 weeks later
#409 7 years ago

My big guns' right canon always misfires. It releases the ball early, triggering a false 2 ball multiball. sometimes it happens from a launch of the ball out of the shooter lane, sometimes from something else on the playfield. I originally thought it was due to a vibration causing a switch closure or similar, but cant see what triggers the canon release firing. Always the right canon misfiring, never the left. No switch errors.
Any assistance is appreciated. thanks

#410 7 years ago
Quoted from Jodannar:

My big guns' right canon always misfires. It releases the ball early, triggering a false 2 ball multiball. sometimes it happens from a launch of the ball out of the shooter lane, sometimes from something else on the playfield. I originally thought it was due to a vibration causing a switch closure or similar, but cant see what triggers the canon release firing. Always the right canon misfiring, never the left. No switch errors.
Any assistance is appreciated. thanks

Reflow the solder on the switch. If that doesn't do it, replace the diode. If that doesn't, replace the switch. If that doesn't, you're stuck where I am. New switch fixed one of mine, but the other is still doing it...

1 month later
#411 7 years ago

What do people do for moulding on the back glass? As big guns is taller than any other back glass, the normal holding lengths don't fit? It would annoy me having gaps of the edge showing

#412 7 years ago
Quoted from Jodannar:

What do people do for moulding on the back glass? As big guns is taller than any other back glass, the normal holding lengths don't fit? It would annoy me having gaps of the edge showing

buy three long ones (top trim) and cut the two side ones down to fit. (pretty sure that's what i did)

1 week later
#413 7 years ago

Can anyone tell me what the proper flipper coils are for the upper flippers ?

#414 7 years ago

FL-11753/50v

#415 7 years ago

Thanks Dozer. Im working on a friends Big Guns and the upper flippers seem too powerfull. Lots of crazy flying balls. It has FL23-600s in it. Anyone know if these are proper replacements ?

#416 7 years ago

Sorry, not proper replacements , but acceptable replacements .

#417 7 years ago

Just finished giving ours a bit of a clean up, this gets a lot of play in the arcade.

bg2 (resized).pngbg2 (resized).png

#418 7 years ago
Quoted from SUPERBEE:

Thanks Dozer. Im working on a friends Big Guns and the upper flippers seem too powerfull. Lots of crazy flying balls. It has FL23-600s in it. Anyone know if these are proper replacements ?

Your answers are in this brief thread. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacing-sorcerer-flipper-coils-serial-vs-parallel

In a nutshell, your coils are stronger then they should be. Go with the 11753's up there.

#419 7 years ago

Thanks Dozer. Interesting. So, (im not in front of the pin right now) switching back to original coils, do i need to add a resistor ? Why would someone switch to the FL-23-600s ? Are the originals lacking in power ?

#420 7 years ago

All I know is the originals are just right up top. When I had a big guns, I had questionable flipper coils in there and bought some new 11753's . With them and the rest of the flipper rebuild, it played great. Not sure why they put fl-23-600 series coils in there. As far as converting back goes, I do not know exactly what it takes. Sounds like a good question for vid in the flipper rebuild thread. All I know is Vid ALWAYS says to replace any series coil with a parallel coil. I would also like to know exactly what you do there for wiring, ect. I will be watching for that.

#421 7 years ago

Thanks dozer. I'm going to post this question on Vid's flipper rebuild thread.

1 month later
#422 6 years ago

Looking forward to joining this club next week!

I have heard this machine called "The Nickleback of pinball" because people seem to hate it, but nobody can tell you why. LOL

I like it, found a very nice example, and will be bringing it home next week. Will post pics when I get it!

Chris

1 week later
#423 6 years ago
Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

I have heard this machine called "The Nickleback of pinball" because people seem to hate it, but nobody can tell you why. LOL
I like it, found a very nice example, and will be bringing it home next week. Will post pics when I get it!
Chris

Nice! I sold mine for space mostly but also because I wanted to fund a DMD. I was sad after it was gone though, as I am with most. I will definitely pick another system 11 up though. Dont forget to post some pics!

#424 6 years ago
Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

Chris

Mark Ritchie and Python made some great games together, enjoy BG! I too would like to have this in my collection. I wish Mark still designed games.

#425 6 years ago

Well, this didn't happen for me The game would not clear the ceiling in the basement. The seller was fantastic, and I offered to keep our deal, but he was able to seel it to somone else at the show. Bummer too, as it was VERY nice.

Maybe I will have to figure out a way to make a hole in the ceiling. I love me some Big Guns!

Chris

1 week later
#426 6 years ago

Hi everyone, just joined the club! Started restoring my game but really need a better translite - thanks!

SOLD!
Parts - Wanted
Wanted! - “Hi, Looking for a really nice condition or NOS Big Guns Translite. I would most likely need it shipped unless you're local to me. Thanks!”
2017-05-23
Madison, WI
Wanted
Archived after: 8 days
Viewed: 73 times

#427 6 years ago
Quoted from pinball4ever:

Hi everyone, just joined the club! Started restoring my game but really need a better translite - thanks!

Parts - Wanted
WTB: Big Guns TransliteWanted! “Hi,

Looking for a really nice condition or NOS Big Guns Translite. I would most likely need it shipped unless you're local to me.

Thanks!”
4 days ago Madison, WI
Wanted
pinball4ever

Mayfair Amusements had NOS translites at the Allentown show. You may want to hit them up.

Chris

#428 6 years ago

Our first solid state machine, minor repairs so far.

Broken wire for speaker and unplugged skill shot switch.

DSCN7880 (resized).JPGDSCN7880 (resized).JPG

1 month later
#429 6 years ago

Does anyone else's big guns do a ball search if you hold the ball on the left flipper long enough? Doesn't do it on the right flipper, and both flippers register in switch test

#430 6 years ago

Hi guys... I am probably the newest member of the Big Guns club as I've only just taken ownership of mine.. great pin.. Mine does have a couple of issues and I would really appreciate anyone's help you might of had similar issues with their Big Guns... Both the kings chamber and left outer lane kicker on mine do not fire during the game or during solenoid test (I think there are a couple of other coils that also don't fire during the coil test.. there are all around the same number 16-19 I believe).

The outer left lane kicker fires when I ground the coil at the lugs and when I ground transistor q70.. I can only get the kings chamber coil to fire when I ground the coil at the lugs... Would love to chat more with other Big Gun owners and any insight into my issue would be greatly appreciated.

1 week later
#431 6 years ago

1) My game is up for sale, but right before listing it, the game reset after getting the free extra ball match. I started playing the extra ball and the game reset the score to 0 during game play. There was no difference or pause, and I didn't even now it had happened until glancing at my score.
2) There is a horizontal line in Player 3 & 4. See my post in SS Tech Support Forum for details. Are you familiar with the fix for this?
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-led-display-issue#post-3845279
3) The last issue I doubt I will try to fix which is a slightly raised playfield mylar separation under the right ramp. It's the size of a nickel and it's the only wear on the playfield.
4) Were can I buy the playfield insert decals without having to spend $45? I hate adding another $50 to what I have in the game when I'm selling it.

I would appreciate any help!

20170726_170054 (resized).jpg20170726_170054 (resized).jpg

20170726_170112 (resized).jpg20170726_170112 (resized).jpg

20170726_170119 (resized).jpg20170726_170119 (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#432 6 years ago

Just picked up a big guns .. setting it up tommorow night....

#433 6 years ago

Unloading her tonight..

IMG_20170814_214808_742 (resized).jpgIMG_20170814_214808_742 (resized).jpg

#434 6 years ago

20170815_232223 (resized).jpg20170815_232223 (resized).jpg

#435 6 years ago

Looks good Milltown. Like the look of your game room.

1 month later
#436 6 years ago

I know this is late but did you ever get around issue #2?

Quoted from grandy:

Finally finished rebuilding my Big Guns (complete overhaul). It's fantastic, but i have a few questions for the club about things that need tweaking.
1. Balls come insanely fast out of the cannon wireforms. Many times they come down and bounce right over the flippers and into the trough. Anyone have advice about this, or is this just the way it is?
2. bonus 5x light is always flashing no matter what. I've never had this kind of issue, wondering how to troubleshoot and diagnose. bonus lights normally as it grows, just 5x is always flashing.
3. Occasionally it seems like a ball gets promoted into the shooter lane when it shouldn't be, so i'll have 2 balls in play for awhile and when one is lost the turn ends (even thought one more is alive). What are all the valid conditions that would promote a ball into the shooter lane?
4. Rom version - looks like newest is version 8 and i'm on 4. is it worth getting these up to date? I've never done that before.
5. @chitownpinball, do you have any documentation about how you LED'd the backbox? I might like to emulate what you've done.
6. Any general strategy/tips are welcome. I'm sucking at this game, losing a shit ton of balls down the right outlane (i gotta work on my nudging).
7. "you are invincible" insert - mine never lights, when SHOULD it?
Thanks in advance!

#437 6 years ago
Quoted from trueno92:

I know this is late but did you ever get around issue #2?

trueno92 this is actually the proper behavior for the game. Whatever multiplier level is set at for lighting extra ball will flash all the time.

#438 6 years ago
Quoted from grandy:

trueno92 this is actually the proper behavior for the game. Whatever multiplier level is set at for lighting extra ball will flash all the time.

Did i ever get you my bulb counts? Sorry im on my phone, dont see if i did or not.

#439 6 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Did i ever get you my bulb counts? Sorry im on my phone, dont see if i did or not.

Chitownpinball I'm not sure but i think you did. That project has been done for about a year so i'm all good.

#440 6 years ago

Picked one up a month or so back.. love the big guns...

20170815_232242 (resized).jpg20170815_232242 (resized).jpg

IMG_20170817_102752 (resized).jpgIMG_20170817_102752 (resized).jpg

20170817_104320 (resized).jpg20170817_104320 (resized).jpg

20170911_002505 (resized).jpg20170911_002505 (resized).jpg

#441 6 years ago
Quoted from grandy:

Thanks so much for the reply.

Another quick question for the BIG crew. What's supposed to happen when the drop targets fall? I'm to receive this game but the trader mentioned this issue and id like to know where I should start looking... apparently, its not doing or actovating the bonus multiplier?

#442 6 years ago

For some reason my 5x multiplier light is on all the time and flashing?
Not in attract mode but as soon as you hit start 5x starts flashing ?
Maybe the diode on the light board ?
Any ideas would be fantastic.
Thank you ahead of time...

20170928_012511 (resized).jpg20170928_012511 (resized).jpg

#443 6 years ago

This is really great!!

#444 6 years ago
Quoted from Milltown:

For some reason my 5x multiplier light is on all the time flashing?
Not in attract mode and not while not In play .
But as soon as a game starts 5x is flashing ??
Any ideas would be fantastic. ..

That's the 'light special' (or eb?) level

#445 6 years ago
Quoted from Milltown:

For some reason my 5x multiplier light is on all the time flashing?
Not in attract mode and not while not In play .
But as soon as a game starts 5x is flashing ??
Any ideas would be fantastic. ..

Have not torn into her yet ?
Perhaps the diode on the light board?

#446 6 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Not sure.. I just acquired guns a little over a month ago..
But as soon as you start a game 5x is flashing ..

20170928_012511 (resized).jpg20170928_012511 (resized).jpg

15065779733131778541138 (resized).jpg15065779733131778541138 (resized).jpg

#447 6 years ago
Quoted from tech54K:

This is really great!!

I'm curious?? What is ?

#448 6 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

I've never had a issue since I've purchased big guns but noticed this tonight ..
While in attract all the lights function correctly but as soon as the start button is hit 5x is flashing threw out the game..

#450 6 years ago
Quoted from Milltown:

Not sure.. I just acquired guns a little over a month ago..
But as soon as you start a game 5x is flashing ..

That wasn't a question. If you get the bonus x that high it'll light extra ball. Which number flashes is adjustable in the settings

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

1,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Newburgh, NY
Machine - For Sale
Scranton, PA
$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 22.50
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Davenport, FL
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 843 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 17.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/big-guns-club-save-the-queen/page/9?hl=pigeonfarmboy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.