Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by chuckwurt
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Hello all! I've been enjoying playing and am now looking to buy my first pin. I am in the negotiating stage for a big guns and need a little direction on where to go with it. The playfield is in good shape. The back glass is excellent. No battery leakage and all the boards are clean. After that though it's rough. It was outside for a couple years and playfield glass is dirty/cloudy. Cabinet is very rough and paint has disappeared in large areas. Legs rusted. Most rubbers barely hanging together. Game plays but has some semi common issues I've found in the forum. Right cannon doesn't lock, launches ball after new ball fed into chute. Backglass launcher works but doesn't random extra ball, always chooses center. Flippers weak. Player 4 scoreboard display going out. Many bulbs out. That's all I can recall at the moment. Seller is asking a thousand. I believe the game was in an arcade as it has a locking bar across the coin door. I know prices vary but from what I have gathered a good quality big guns would be around a thousand. I am looking for a machine that functions but needs some love to work on and this fits for me but I'm worried about how much I would need to put into it to make it shine. By my estimates for led display, stencils, rubbers, flippers, bulbs etc.. I could be in the $4-500 range. Am I unreasonable there or is that close? With his asking price I don't know how low he'll go. I'm waiting for a return call and hoped to get a little input first to help me from letting my excitement of joining the club cause me to pay too much and get myself in a hole. Thanks for any advice.

#2 8 years ago

400 absolute max if you really want it. This is a 1,000-1,200 game in nice shape, so be mindful of that if you plan to stay out of the red when/if you sell. I love this game. Very simple but satisfying to save he queen. Reminds me of Fire! But a cooler theme and artwork IMO.

#3 8 years ago

A thousand is way to much in that shape. I would say four to five hundred. Check the wire forms as they take a beating, the welds can break. You should be able to get a great shape one for a thousand
There is usually wear by right hand cannon lock where the ball drops down too.
It's a good game but I think in a bigger collection, but would be a fun start for you

#4 8 years ago

Honestly don't buy it. Do you like the game? If your not sure then definitely don't buy it.

#5 8 years ago

Is this the one on the Phoenix Craigslist listed at $1800? That one looks nicer than you describe. Either way though Big Guns doesn't really have that much value. Even a really nice one IMO wouldn't command more than around $1000-$1200. Back in the day I had a blast playing BG. It is a pretty cool game.

#6 8 years ago

I'd probably be in for around $600-700. I enjoy fixing games up more than most people, though, or I just value my time less.

#7 8 years ago

Thanks for all the advice. This is not the one on Craigslist for $1800. That one does look nice. I would think that would be closer to a thousand but not seeing it in person maybe it's immaculate. I didn't take any photos of this one. I had put in an offer for $450 so I guess I was on the right track. Still waiting for a response. Depending on a counter I might go up a little but not too much. I do enjoy the game and I've got a thousand in my pin budget. If I can get it for around $500 that gives me room to buy parts to get it fully functional right away and to work on cosmetics over time. Down the road if I sell or trade I can be close to at least breaking even. Thanks for the feedback everyone.

#8 8 years ago

Sounds like a good plan to me dude. Good luck!

#9 8 years ago

If it spent several years outside, it's going to constantly have corrosion issues.
My guess is once you get it home, you will find all kinds of issues.
I would walk.... not the best choice for a first pin.

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

If it spent several years outside, it's going to constantly have corrosion issues.

I agree. I bought and sold a really nice Big Guns in the last year and a half for about $800. I loved the game but ran out of room. If your budget is $1000 I'd look for a nice one around that price point as they do exist.

FYI it seems like almost all Big Guns have really nice playfields so don't let this one sway your decision because of that. Same with the translite, I replaced mine with a brand new one for $40 as several places had them in stock so keep that in mind as well, it's not like they are hard to come by:

http://bayareaamusements.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=GS-BG1

#11 8 years ago

I hope you're valuing your time at nothing and buying this as a learning experience. After fixing all of the mechanical and cabinet problems it sounds like it has (plus the ones you can't see yet which it will have) it sounds very doubtful that you're going to break even. And in the end, dozens of hours and hundreds of dollars later you end up with... Big Guns.

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

I hope you're valuing your time at nothing and buying this as a learning experience. After fixing all of the mechanical and cabinet problems it sounds like it has (plus the ones you can't see yet which it will have) it sounds very doubtful that you're going to break even. And in the end, dozens of hours and hundreds of dollars later you end up with... Big Guns.

Some people actually just love pinball. I hate when people say things like I hope your valuing your time at nothing, who cares, its a hobby its meant to pass the time and have fun doing it.

#13 8 years ago

It's a fun hobby to pass time, but if you are buying a game with selling it already in mind, you have to add up your time.

There are plenty of good Big Guns for $700, because people find they won't fit in their basements.

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

I agree. There is enough for a first time pinball owner to learn without adding the 'left outside for several years' variable

#15 8 years ago

I bought a Big Guns last summer with virtually no wear anywhere (minus the battery holder) for $800. I am definitely not trying to bash the machine, but it is my least played machine in my collection. With the body in poor condition, rust, ect ect, I would try to get a different machine for your first in better shape for your $1k.

#16 8 years ago

As far as the time side of things. I do value my time but I'm going in as a hobby. I have no expectations of income from it. When I have some free time to kill, I'll work on it, if I don't, then no loss. Believe me if the opportunity shows itself to make some profit I'll be on it. But I started this thread about this particular Big Guns. If I could buy the machine and fix it up within my budget and down the road let it go without a loss I would be happy with that. My time in this case would be worth the experience in return. My concern was if I get into this machine could I be setting myself up to fail in that I could exhaust my budget, get stuck with a machine that still needs work and then end up dumping it at a loss. Based on everyone's comments that sounds like a possibility. If this guy ever calls me back maybe I'll need to drop my offer way down and hope he just wants to get rid of the thing. The anticipation of finally getting into the club is killing me and everything that has been popping up lately is either out of my range or an old EM. Such is pinball.

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from SunMonkeyAZ:

My concern was if I get into this machine could I be setting myself up to fail in that I could exhaust my budget, get stuck with a machine that still needs work and then end up dumping it at a loss.

I have bought many a game where someone spent a ton of money, got in over their head, and finally sold the corpse at a loss.

#18 8 years ago

Are there any other pinsiders in your area? Any pinball groups/leagues? Maybe get to know some of them and they can get you in touch with a better first pin. Just a thought.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Davenport, FL
1,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Newburgh, NY
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Scranton, PA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 22.50
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/big-guns-buying-advice and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.