Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by vindic8r
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Much of the left side of my Big Guns backbox lighting is out. Otherwise, the game plays just fine - all lamps on the PF seem to be functioning without issue.

I tried the obvious first - multiple known-good lamps swapped into each socket. No dice. Then I checked the backbox interconnect board, given its reputation. But continuity tests with my MM across each pin pair, top to bottom, were 100% successful. Is it possible that I could have gotten a false positive? I'm thinking this is a wiring issue. Or perhaps a bad component on a driver board?

You can see in the photo that all of the solid lamps on the left side are out, sans the top left three behind "BIG" (the upper-left most socket works, but needs to be cleaned or replaced as it is intermittent). The strobing gun lamps on the left work fine as well.

What would you all recommend I test next to catch this gremlin?

Also, what's up with this mini driver board on the back of the backbox door? Voltage readings on the labelled leads are much lower than what the labels read at the 28V and 50V pads, but perhaps that's normal?

#2 6 years ago

Get a meter and see where you have power and where you don't. Try and narrow it down a little.

LTG : )

#3 6 years ago

Big guns has a unique interconnect board on left wall of backbox. All lighting goes thru it. Only system 11 game ive seen with this board.
Try resetting all those connectors, look for loose wires and check fuses.

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Get a meter and see where you have power and where you don't. Try and narrow it down a little.

So I'm getting .6-.7vdc at every single lamp socket, whether it is a working one or not. That seems very odd. Why would they be reading the exact same voltage and yet some of them be working and not others? Is this user error? I've got one of my MM probes on the leads of the sockets and the other on the ground strap. That's correct, yes?

Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Big guns has a unique interconnect board on left wall of backbox. All lighting goes thru it. Only system 11 game ive seen with this board.
Try resetting all those connectors, look for loose wires and check fuses.

I reseated every connector on the interconnect board. I also checked continuity from the every lamp socket to the pins on the right side of the interconnect for J1 and J3, which appear to be sending power to the lamp circuits that are not working (they are brown, brown-white and orange wires). And everything is testing out perfectly...

What am I missing here, @ericpinballfan, @ltg? Any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from vindic8r:

Why would they be reading the exact same voltage and yet some of them be working and not others?

It's AC. Measure hot to common, not to ground.

Quoted from vindic8r:Any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

Start where they get power and follow along with meter and find where power stops.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Start where they get power and follow along with meter and find where power stops.

Thanks. That did it. I traced the brown/brown-white circuit, which had zero volts running through it, all the way back to the right side of the backbox, to a blown 5ASB fuse. I swear I tested that fuse before and it was good, but it most certainly was not. Oh, how embarrassing. But I'm glad it was an easy fix.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Davenport, FL
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

1,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Newburgh, NY
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 22.50
2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Franklin, VA
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/big-guns-backbox-lighting-outage and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.