View topic image gallery

component (resized).jpg
MPU200a (resized).jpg
IMG_4324 (resized).JPG
IMG_4323 (resized).JPG
IMG_4325 (resized).JPG
IMG_4322 (resized).JPG
IMG_4321 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Fytr.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

I have an MPU-200 board from a Big Game I purchased about a year ago.

When I first tested the board with the original battery still attached it booted on the workbench (once).

I then removed the crufty battery and did a mild restore for the minimal battery damage. Unfortunately, once that was done all I ever saw again was a solid LED when powering up the board.

Since then I've replaced a couple of the sockets that were a bit sloppy and decided to shotgun replace all the components in the reset circuit. Unfortunately, when I did that I failed to realize that C5 was supposed to be polarized and the cap I had installed popped like a firecracker upon power up. I then replaced that cap with a polarized one but the game still goes to solid red led and stays there.

I ran through the following tests as noted in the pinwiki topic (http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bally/Stern#MPU_boot_issues):

>>> Short pins 40 and 39 momentarily on the cpu chip; after doing so, see if the LED goes off.
* Nothing happens (LED stays on).

>>> An easy quick test for the reset section is putting your DMM on pin 40 of the cpu. It should read 5v, and in most cases if it does the reset is good.
* Testing P40 on the cpu shows 0.39v when powered on.

>>> Ensure that there's not simply a problem with Q2 or the LED itself (i.e. the board isn't actually booting up anyway, just with the LED locked on). A logic probe on pin 18 of the U11 6821 PIA will tell you if the LED signal is changing.
* Nothing happening on p18.

>>> Attach a logic probe to the output of Q5 - on power on, you should see this circuit start low and then go high approximately 50 milliseconds later. If it goes high immediately, at a minimum replace Q5, then Q1.
* Logic probe (on pulse mode, is this correct?) reads low on all 3 legs of Q5 when powering up and afterwards.

So I'm at a loss as to what to check next. I'll attach some good pictures in case someone can spot something I've fouled up.
I'd really like to keep this board in the game since it's in pretty decent condition overall (if it worked).

All help is appreciated.

IMG_4325 (resized).JPGIMG_4325 (resized).JPG
IMG_4321 (resized).JPGIMG_4321 (resized).JPGIMG_4322 (resized).JPGIMG_4322 (resized).JPG

IMG_4323 (resized).JPGIMG_4323 (resized).JPGIMG_4324 (resized).JPGIMG_4324 (resized).JPG

#2 5 years ago

>>> Next put the probe on U9 pin 3, 36, and 37 to see if you get pulsing - these are all clock signals and you should see pulsing on all 3 pins. If you have an oscilloscope you can visually see the signals, or even on a multimeter, the voltage will show between 2.5-2.9 volts. If you see zero volts or 5 volts, your clock signal is bad. The CPU could be dragging down the clock. Remove U9 and see if the clock signal is now good. When clock signal is bad suspect U15 or U16. Also check C15 and C14. U15 is failed most often.
* U9 p3, 36 and 37 are all in range and pulsing.

>>> Check U9 Pin 2. This is the HALT line. You should see 5v, if not replace U9
* 5.1v at p2.

>>> Check U9 Pin 5. This is the VMA line. It is a pulsing signal and reads about 2.8v with a DMM. If incorrect first try a new U9. Next check U14D, U15C, U19B. U15 is the most likely IC to have failed.
* No pulsing at p5. 1.2vdc on the MM.

So I replaced U15 and U9. No change. Still reading .36v at U9 p40 and no pulse on p5.

How can I test U19, U14 as it suggests?

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Your problem is in the reset circuitry.
The emitter pin of the Q5 transistor should be supplied 5 volts via diode CR5. Look at the soldering on the lower leg of that diode - it looks a bit suspect.
The upper leg of diode CR5 should be around 5.6V, the lower leg should be around 5V.

Tested and CR5 upper leg reads 5.8v and lower 5.2v.

Quoted from Quench:

On the back of the board, one of the legs of resistor R11 doesn't look like it's soldered properly which is related to the missing 5V on the emitter of Q5.
You also have a solder wick on the back of the board between one leg of resistor R113 and ground. That leg of resistor R113 is the 12V supply rail to the board so you want to fix that up.

R113 looks fine but I did find an errant leg I missed clipping that was bent over and likely shorting between C80 and CR5. Fixed.

I also tested L1 and L2 and they both have appropriate voltages on both sides.

I realized I have a working Bally AS-2518-35 board handy so I hooked it up beside my borked MPU-200 board on the bench to compare readings. The only difference I've found on the lower half components thus far (though I haven't been perfectly systemic with these tests, could have missed some things) are on R107. On MPU-200 (with LED on) it reads 5v on one side and 4.06v on the other. On the working -35 board (with LED off, cause it boots) it reads 5v on one side and 0.083v on the other. I'm assuming this difference is because it must be in the circuit that lights the LED? So not really a problem.

I feel like I must be closing in on the solution! Other test ideas?

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Hi, sorry I should have been more clear.
You mentioned in your first post that your logic probe indicated all three legs of transistor Q5 were low.
You also mentioned that pin 40 (reset line) of the U9 CPU is around 0.39V
This says that your CPU is stuck in reset mode (reset signal is active low) which is why the MPU board is dead. Pin 40 of the CPU should go high once the reset circuitry has detected that power is good after powerup.
Going back to the Q5 transistor, since all its legs are indicating low with your probe, your problem is that the Q5 emitter (lower leg) is not receiving 5 volts from diode CR5 (check the schematic, they have a common connection).
Since Q5 has no power on the emitter leg, it cannot switch the reset line high out of reset mode to allow the CPU to kickstart and boot.
So find out why the bottom emitter leg of Q5 isn't getting 5V from CR5. [Edit] It might be due to the solder whisker in the pic below I just noticed which could be shorting it to ground:
[quoted image]

First I'd like to thank you for responding so quickly and the diagram is fantastic as well.

So I think the Q5 issue was caused by this issue, which is also the short you note on your picture: "...I did find an errant leg I missed clipping that was bent over and likely shorting between C80 and CR5."

So I corrected that and now:
- Q5 reads 5v on both the front 2 legs, and 4.55v on the rear leg.
- CR5 reads 5v on both ends

Also in that circuit are R138 and then R140 I believe:
- R138 reads 4.55v on one leg and 0.38v on the other
- R140 reads 0.38v on one leg and 5v on the other

However, Q1 reads 0v on the front two legs, and 0.66v on the rear leg.
And TP6 reads 0.122v.

#9 5 years ago

Okay,

CR5 reads 5.72v and 5.17v

Q1 reads only 0.039v on upper leg (matches R140 leg, I was mistaken before on the reading), 0 on lower leg, and 0.673v on rear leg.

CPU p40 reads 5.11v

LED remains solid on with no flicker.

I retested the cpu with my probe and it remains the same:

>> Check U9 Pin 5. This is the VMA line. It is a pulsing signal and reads about 2.8v with a DMM. If incorrect first try a new U9. Next check U14D, U15C, U19B. U15 is the most likely IC to have failed.

* No pulsing at p5. 1.2vdc on the MM.

I already replaced the cpu and U15, I might have replacements for U14 and U19, should I try that?

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Much better.

I wouldn't replace anything yet. Can you confirm the clock circuitry is still working after you replaced U15? - i.e. are you still getting active pulsing on pins 3, 36 & 37 on the CPU? If the CPU isn't getting a clock, VMA won't be doing anything.

Yep, those pins are pulsing (still).

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Pin 2 (active low /HALT signal) on the CPU is high right?
If you remove the four ROMs, do you get pulsing on all the CPU address lines A0 - A15?

P2 is high, correct.

Which pins are the CPU address lines?

Edit: looks like pins 9-24 on U9.

No pulsing on any of these pins.

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Are you sure your CPU (U9) is good?
Is it getting 5V power? ( Gnd is pin 1 and 5V is at pin 8 )
With good power, both the /RESET (pin 40) and /HALT (pin 2) signals High and the clock signals actively vibrating (pins 3 and 37), that's the bare minimum that's needed for the CPU to kickstart on powerup where it'll read the top of ROM and go from there. Successful or not, there should be activity on the address lines as it tries to read code to execute. When you remove the ROMs from the board, the CPU will end up just cycling through every address executing junk code which is useful for checking activity on all address lines. If the address lines aren't doing anything then the CPU appears to be dead either through fault or lack of correct signals to get it going.
If your multimeter has a frequency counter can you tell us what frequency it measuring at pins 3 and at pin 37? They should be around 500kHz - 530kHz
Has any rework been done around the CPU? socket changed maybe?

Whoops my bad. In my haste I forgot to remove the roms.

With the roms removed I have:

5v at pin 8
P2 and P40 are both high
Pulsing on P3, P37
Pulsing on all P9-P24 except P21 is low/no pulse (p21 appears to be ground).

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Cool so the CPU is up and running.
Do you know if your ROMs are good?
The CPU kickstarts from the U6 ROM on powerup. The first bit of code in the U6 ROM gets the CPU to switch off the MPU LED. You don't need the other ROMs installed for this to happen.
If the CPU can't properly communicate with U6 then the MPU LED will be stuck on.
For the moment with all ROMs still not installed, following the schematics at U6 check that you're getting activity with your logic probe on all the address pins at the U6 socket and also pins 18 and 20 which are the enable/select signals for U6.
If all is good, plug in the U6 ROM and probe the data pins for activity.
Oh BTW, check pin 39 of U11 with your logic probe during powerup - normally this signal goes low to switch the MPU LED off and high to switch it on.

U6 socket checked out (pulsing). Pluggedin the U6 ROM only, now the LED will flashed on and off continuously (doesn't stop after even 7 flashes). Major progress! Would this be expected in this case with only one ROM installed?

When pulling the other roms the top socket came loose so I'll go ahead and replace all the remaining ROM sockets (I had already replaced U6).

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

With only the U6 ROM installed, the LED should just switch off because the ROM test will fail and cause the software to lock up. It shouldn't be flashing the LED.
If you remove the three RAM chips (U7, U8 and U13), does it stop the LED flashing?

I had U7 in still. Pulled it and the first boot led stayed locked on. 3 subsequent boots and it flickers and flashes once and goes out.

#21 5 years ago

Yes. Using pc power supply on the bench.

K, replaced the rom sockets and loaded all the roms and ram back up.

Boots solid led. Quick short between p39 and p40 on U9 and it gives me two flashes.

So I have one original socket left to replace at U13 so will do that and check the 5101 sockets traces for continuity.

I also have a spare set of 5101 chips I can try.

Sound right?

#22 5 years ago

Good news!

I replaced the socket and installed fresh 5101 chips and I’m getting 6 flashes on the bench!

Thanks a bunch for all your advice. Was very helpful in determining how to approach debugging the dreaded “solid LED” issue.

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Good stuff!
May I suggest you replace the 2k ohm resistors at R113 and R16 with larger versions. Those two resistors are running near 1/4W power. If the ones you have are 1/8W or 1/6W variants they probably won't last long term. Larger resistors will handle the dissipation better. Even those original 1/4W resistors (usually R113) do sometimes go open circuit since they're running close to their rating.
I find the 8.2V zener diode at VR1 on the MPU-200 boards usually sit on the lower spec limit of around 7.7V across it.
When using computer power supplies, it causes the reset line to release before 5V power has stabilised which causes the CPU to start unreliably.
In a game though, the slower rise of the 12V power rail on power up delays the release of the reset line and it usually works ok.
When I replace VR1 with a new 8.2V zener diode that runs on spec at 8.2V , boards typically boot fine with my computer power supply. I know you've changed your VR1 zener diode, but I'm just saying

I already installed the stronger 2K resistors (1W now) as part of the replacement parts list from GPE's site.

I haven't actually replaced the VR1 zenier diode yet, the original is still installed. The new ones are so small compared to the original I was worried it might be the wrong part.

I will replace it though - excellent advice. My Star Gazer sometimes fails to boot when I use the wall switch to turn on the plug, but if I then turn the game off and on with the cabinet switch it boots fine. Possibly also has the original VR1 on its MPU as well. I'll take a look.

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from G-P-E:

VR1 was originally a 1/2W zener diode 1N959B. 1N959B's are somewhat hard to find, replacement of same size is 1N5237B. The 1W version (larger yet acceptable replacement) would be 1N4738A.
To check VR1 -- With black meter to ground - measure both sides of VR1 to see if it is OK. Cathode (banded) side should be roughly 12V (should be same as TP2). Anode (non-banded) side should be approx 5 volts.

I messed up earlier, I was confusing VR1 with V1. So I did replace VR1 with the rest of the reset components.

It currently measures 11.83v on one side and only 3.77v on the other.

I believe the component I used is in-spec:

component (resized).jpgcomponent (resized).jpg

Thoughts?

#30 5 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

11.83v - 3.77v = 8.06 volts across it which is in spec

Right. So I should just install the board in the game and see if it boots correctly there. If it wasn't -8c (18F) outside I'd be more inclined to step into the unheated garage where the game is currently setup and do that.

#31 5 years ago

Okay, the good news is that the board boots fine in the game and the game plays almost perfectly.

A couple of issues I'm experiencing:

1. The controlled lamps (incandescant) all flicker horribly, all of them (when lit) with the same pattern.

2. The game plays fine but whenever the ball drains and it goes to do the bonus countdown the MPU resets/reboots. It's not always at the same instant either, sometimes it reboots as soon as the drain/trough switch closes, other times it gets a few seconds into the bonus countdown. The trough switch tests fine in test mode. It's not the trough coil either I tested the diode and it usually reboots before the coil would fire. And of course the coil fire fine when you start the game. Also, I've noticed it will often reboot when attempting to use the test switch on the coin door. The entire game plays perfectly otherwise.

Possible poor ground connection somewhere?

This has me really stumped.

#33 5 years ago

Will check these out.

Can you clarify which connectors to remove? "Does the lamp flickering go away if you disconnect J2 and J2 from the MPU board? You can disconnect these connectors with the power on."

#35 5 years ago

Okay, I did a bunch of testing today:

As a reminder, the game will play perfectly until you drain your ball, then it will reset at some point during the bonus countdown. If you score points but no bonus it will not reboot, it will launch the next ball perfectly. The act of counting the bonus is causing the MPU to crash/reboot. The only other thing that causes the CPU to reboot is using the Test switch on the coin door. If you press it rapidly it will also reboot.

All switches register correctly in switch test mode.

GI lamps read 6.7vac
Controlled lamps (incandescent bulbs that pulse about 5 times per second): 3.8 - 4.0vdc (pulsing)
Lamp board TP2 and TP3 read 5.34vdc solid.

There is 11 ohm resistance between cab braid and the backbox tin, 33 ohm between the lamp board TP1 / grd and bb tin, and 22 ohm between TP1 and the cabinet braid. Cabinet braid to the ground plug on the power cord reads 2.3ohms.

MPU Board
Tp1: 5.1vdc
Tp2: 13.4vdc
TP3: 23vdc
Tp5: 5.1vdc

None of these voltage readings waver much at all during gameplay and not at all when the MPU crashes and reboots.

I tried unplugging each of these separately and testing the game: J1, then J2, then J3 - no change.
I unplugged the sound board ribbon cables - no change.

I then remembered that I now have a spare AllTek board so I put that in the game. Game plays perfectly with the Alltek and the pulsing controlled lamps issue is also resolved.

So, it almost seems like the MPU-200 board is incorrectly pulsing the controlled lamps, perhaps a short between two pins on one of the sockets or something? This is very mysterious but at least now I know it is definately the MPU-200 board causing the issue. Suggestions?

1 year later
#37 3 years ago

Okay, reviving this thread since I've needed to pull this board off my "spare" pile and put it back into action.

I've re-jumpered it for my Star Gazer ROMs and the board is booting fine now, but exhibiting the exact same issues in Star Gazer as it was originally in Big Game, namely:

1. All controlled lamps (incandescent bulbs, btw) flicker continuously when game is started.
2. MPU board will reboot whenever a ball ends.

Keeping in mind this game was working perfectly with another MPU 200 I had in it immediately prior to installing this one.

Quoted from Quench:

Sounds like might have some issue with the VUA - Ø2 signal on the MPU board. Have had other pinsiders with similar problems due to shorts and open circuits (battery corroded through holes) around that signal.

Based on this suggestion I've gone through the checklist of tests that you prescribed in this thread (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-playboy-random-resets-flickering-insert-leds):

Check following pins:
U19 pin 8 (should be pulsing): -->Low (0.16vdc)<--
U19 pin 9 (should be high): High (5.26vdc)

U19 pin 10 (should be pulsing): -->Neither low nor high (1.28vdc)
<--
U14 pin 11 (should be pulsing): High (5.27vdc)

U14 pin 12 (should be pulsing): Low (0.02vdc)
This then goes to U15 pin 4: High

"So you're getting no activity on the VMA (Valid Memory Address) signal from the CPU at pin 8 of U19.": -->Low<--

"There is a resistor (R136) below the CPU (U9). What does your logic probe indicate on each leg (left and right) of this R136 resistor?": -->No R136 on MPU200??<--

"Also what's your logic probe indicating at pin 5 of the CPU (U9)?" : Pulsing

"What resistance do you measure between":
pin 8 of U19 and pin 14 of U19: 2.7M, 3.6M
pin 8 of U19 and pin 7 of U19: 2.7M, 3.6M

From the MPU-200 schematic I was able to prove continuity of the Ø2 line from U9-P37 to R8, to R6, to U15 P11, P14. The resistance on R8 and R6 also check out.

Note that I also tried swapping out U9 and U19 for known working versions and no improvement was made with either swap.

Any advice on where to look next for the problem is appreciated.

#39 3 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

The Stern MPU-200 board uses different chips with respect to those signals you've probed/measured. The different U19 chip on the MPU-200 board has pins 8 and 10 swapped compared to Bally. Stern used a U18 gate after U19 where Bally used U14 after U19.
Anyway suffice to say, the following results at U19 are enough to show the problem:

The input pin 10 of U19 is floating (neither low nor high) meaning there's nothing connected to it (signal is open circuit), resulting in the output pin 8 of the U19 nand gate being stuck low.
If you look at the MPU-200 schematics, pin 10 of U19 is connected to pin 5 of the U9 CPU which is the VMA signal.
Now your logic probe indicated pulsing at pin 5 of the U9 CPU as quoted below:

So you have an open circuit on that VMA signal from the CPU to U19.
Grab your multi-meter and check that you have continuity from pin 5 of the CPU at U9 to pin 10 of U19.

Bingo! It turned out to be a bad socket pin (#5) on U9, which broke continuity between U9 P5 and U19 P10. Replaced the socket and problem solved.

Thank you sir, you are a god in this world!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 33.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Boston, MA
$ 3.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Fytr.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/big-game-mpu-200-issues?tu=Fytr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.