(Topic ID: 95068)

"Big Game" Left flippers dont work...which transistor to replace?

By zug1619

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by DrJoe
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

135.JPG
#1 9 years ago

Hello,

I had a closed EOS switch on one of the left flipper coils and it melted the coil. This fried the corresponding transistor on the SDU, I believe. I've replaced the EOS and the coil but the neither of the left flippers work. The right one's work fine. I took the SDU out of another 1980 Stern game "Cheetah" and put it into "Big Game"...both the flippers worked. I then put "Big Games" SDU in "Cheetah" and the left flippers didn't work. So, I am pretty sure its the transistor.

I went to my manual to see if they can tell me which Transistor corresponds to the left flipper coil. I don't see anything. I've narrowed it down to Q1 to Q19. The transistors that are currently on the board are SE9302...It seems you replace these with TIP 102.

I put the game in test mode because the manuel says that the coils fire in their order and that the order corresponds with their number on the SDU. I am having difficlty doing so

I am new to testing transistors, and not very confident at doing so. I have a good meter, just never got good at using it. I've read that you test the current transistor (SE9302) different than the one i replace it with (TIP102), something with a diode.

I am, however, good at soldering and dont mind doing that to the boards.

Ok, my questoin...does anyone know which transistor it is, which Q # am i replacing? I'm considering replacing all 19 but figured i'd ask the community first. Ya'll always help!

Dan

#2 9 years ago
Quoted from zug1619:

Hello,
I had a closed EOS switch on one of the left flipper coils and it melted the coil. This fried the corresponding transistor on the SDU, I believe. I've replaced the EOS and the coil but the neither of the left flippers work. The right one's work fine. I took the SDU out of another 1980 Stern game "Cheetah" and put it into "Big Game"...both the flippers worked. I then put "Big Games" SDU in "Cheetah" and the left flippers didn't work. So, I am pretty sure its the transistor.
I went to my manual to see if they can tell me which Transistor corresponds to the left flipper coil. I don't see anything. I've narrowed it down to Q1 to Q19. The transistors that are currently on the board are SE9302...It seems you replace these with TIP 102.
I put the game in test mode because the manuel says that the coils fire in their order and that the order corresponds with their number on the SDU. I am having difficlty doing so
I am new to testing transistors, and not very confident at doing so. I have a good meter, just never got good at using it. I've read that you test the current transistor (SE9302) different than the one i replace it with (TIP102), something with a diode.
I am, however, good at soldering and dont mind doing that to the boards.
Ok, my questoin...does anyone know which transistor it is, which Q # am i replacing? I'm considering replacing all 19 but figured i'd ask the community first. Ya'll always help!
Dan

All signs point to burned up traces right by the relay on the SDB. Patch with wires. There is no transistor for just the left side. There is one transistor that turns on the relay.

Stern made fatal flaw on the SDB design. They put way to small traces going to the flipper relay. If you have a mis adjusted EOS. Those traces act like a fuse.

#3 9 years ago

The flippers do not use transistors on the driver board. There is one transistor to control the flipper relay and if your right flippers are working then it is fine. Make sure you have 43V on all three flipper coil lugs. That will verify that your power chain is good, the EOS switch is making contact and both coil windings have power.

#4 9 years ago

135.JPG135.JPG

Barakandi,

Not knowing what the relay was, I went back to the manual. Once i located it, i turned the board over to investigate further. Low and behold, the traces are all black and one (right near the #7) is broken and curling back!

This must be the issue

So, if i am understanding you correctly, i need to take a small wire and solder and recreate the path?

Part of the path comes from the J1 plug and connects to the relay. Can I just solder a wire from where the path starts (the connector pin) to the corresponding connector pin or do i have to actually get the wire soldered to the trace it self?

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from zug1619:

Barakandi,
Not knowing what the relay was, I went back to the manual. Once i located it, i turned the board over to investigate further. Low and behold, the traces are all black and one (right near the #7) is broken and curling back!
This must be the issue
So, if i am understanding you correctly, i need to take a small wire and solder and recreate the path?
Part of the path comes from the J1 plug and connects to the relay. Can I just solder a wire from where the path starts (the connector pin) to the corresponding connector pin or do i have to actually get the wire soldered to the trace it self?

135.JPG 224 KB

Yup... Look how big the wires are carrying the current for the flippers.... Look how tiny those traces are... WHAT WHERE THEY THINKING!! and there is 4 flippers on big game.

Take some wire the size you see going to the flippers and repair those burned traces. I would honestly patch all four traces since yours all look stressed.

If you are not practiced soldering to a PCB. Grab a junker board and practice putting wires between two points so you don't mangle your driver board.

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from zug1619:

Barakandi,

Solder from connector pole to the relay pole. Practice first, you can damage the connector pin solder pad somewhat easily.

Desolder the relay and connector pins at least most of the way. Strip some wire an appropriate size. Hook the ends for a physical connection. Solder in place.

#7 9 years ago

16 or 18 gauge would be good.

#8 9 years ago

Thanks guys!

I keep old cd player and vcr boards around so i can practice soldering and desoldering. I'm actually getting good.

Should i use stranded or solid wire? I usually use stranded, for many reasons, but i am thinking that solid might be better cause it will hold its shape better...

thoughts?

#9 9 years ago

Use solid so you don't get any stray strands causing trouble

3 years later
#10 6 years ago

I'm having a similar issue on a Big Game... don't really know my way around these classic Sterns.... where is the flipper relay board located?

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

I'm having a similar issue on a Big Game... don't really know my way around these classic Sterns.... where is the flipper relay board located?

Simple simple. Clippers have transistors associated with them on the solenoid driver board. (Top right in the head? One of those transistor is not like the others. Sure it’s the transistor though?

#12 6 years ago

Just one flipper is out... other three are working... according to this thread, it could be traces?

#13 6 years ago

Is the bad flipper coil getting power? Does it flip when you ground it?

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Just one flipper is out... other three are working... according to this thread, it could be traces?

If one flipper is out I would check the EOS switches first to make sure they are making good contact and opening / closing when they are supposed to.

#15 6 years ago

Well, I confirmed that the traces are all intact on the board and I just received flipper rebuild kits... so let me get those installed and I'll report back.

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Well, I confirmed that the traces are all intact on the board and I just received flipper rebuild kits... so let me get those installed and I'll report back.

When you do that it couldn’t hurt to swap that coil with a known working flipper.

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

When you do that it couldn’t hurt to swap that coil with a known working flipper.

Apparently the previous owner installed a brand new coil. But you make a good point.

Hopefully this is just a case of a bad switch

#18 6 years ago

Don’t install a new coil. Check for 43 volts on the coil lugs. You should solve this before doing a rebuild on the flippers.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Boston, MA
$ 3.00
$ 33.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/big-game-left-flippers-dont-workwhich-transistor-to-replace and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.