IMG_1093 (resized).jpeg
51CwcKhRSvL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_ (resized).jpg
IMG_1084 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1082 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1083 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1528 New code!! Posted by slochar (2 years ago)

Post #1547 Updated Roms change log Posted by chuckwurt (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider woody76.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1144 3 years ago

I am in the club. I have a few questions.

1. where can I get these ball guides (see pic)? I have been told someone reproduced them.
2. sound is pretty low turned all the way up? any suggestions?
3. need the updated ROMs that have the spinner counter.

20200801_215944 (resized).jpg20200801_215944 (resized).jpg
#1150 3 years ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

Nice to see you found one of those $800 Big Game's that always pop up!

Yea, $800 X 2+.

I had to make lots of adjustments, sound board needs help, and flipper mechs are a wreck but flip good. Plays great, new displays, lots of work was done to it and overall in great shape. It is light years ahead of a $800 big game.

#1151 3 years ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

Nice to see you found one of those $800 Big Game's that always pop up!

it did not help my case that someone sold a non working BG for $2000 a couple months ago.

#1156 3 years ago
Quoted from rollitover:

That's actually quite funny because that is exactly what I paid for my Big Game...
...back in 2013!

see, I told yall it was a $800 game

#1159 3 years ago

well you guys are welcome since I for sure drove the price up on this one.

#1163 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

You only disappoint those who do not already own one.

True, because you guys do not seem to want to let them go. I see why now, fantastic game play. I got mine all dialed in last night. I need cap kit on my sound board but everything else is good to go. I have another playfield I will probably send off to keith soon.

#1165 3 years ago

If I can find a cheap flight 2000 I might can put together another BG. Tractordoc just sold a project flight yesterday.

#1173 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Okay that makes more sense. Still not sure how you’re getting 105 from one rip but 55-60 on the outside is right in line with mine.
Would love to see that inner spinner rip. I can’t get more than 70 or so with my finger! Haha
What pitch you at? I got my back legs jacked up all the way.

I had my legs jacked up all the way when I got mine home I was getting my azz kicked. I had to drop it down some.

#1176 3 years ago
Quoted from JONESDS:

Looking to install the new BG roms, where are folks buying preburned chips from nowadays?

please let me know as well or whoever does it have them burn 2 sets and I will take one

#1184 3 years ago

hey guys, when does the knocker get triggered on BG?

#1186 3 years ago

that is what I thought but mine is not working. I have a original board. replay set to high? or something?

#1189 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Possible or set to EB or score. If you look at the manual on IPDB you should see how to check the replay levels and make sure it’s set to replay awards instead of EB or score.
Easiest to run the coil test first though and make sure it works.

coil tested good. are the replay levels and EB set on the board dip switches or through the coin door?

#1192 3 years ago
Quoted from GoldenOreos:

might want to get nvram or battery pack bc I didnt have those in. so even if u setup replay levels it wont save it. i know if u have no batteries in the settings become super weird with replay lvs. the knocker works It was disconnected bc I was working on the game late a night and didnt want it waking the neighborhood up lol

knocker for sure works, soldered wire on and run test. crazy part is after I run coil test the sound started working??? crazy.

#1196 3 years ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

any chance someone has a spare used lower left plastic, near the flipper? My only broken plastic in the game, not sure i want to spend $150 on a whole new set...
[quoted image]

I might, mine came with another set. I will look when I get home later.

#1198 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

A buddy just picked one up with these brackets. It actually has full lane guides attached to them. Not the piano wire you see on all the games. Hopefully we can get more details soon. He’s gonna send me pics.

maybe Kerry can make some?

#1199 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

A buddy just picked one up with these brackets. It actually has full lane guides attached to them. Not the piano wire you see on all the games. Hopefully we can get more details soon. He’s gonna send me pics.

I just checked my extra populated playfield I got and it has these bracket/lane guides. I am going to polish them up and transfer them over to my machine.

#1201 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Sweet. Would love to hear if the transition to the upper flipper is nice and smooth. Maybe we can get them remade.

I have a bunch of parts coming tomorrow and Monday. Will probably check it all out then. I have worked with mantis on lots of jobs. Would not mind sending them to him if necessary.

#1204 3 years ago

recapped my sound board and now i can adjust the sound. Does big game have background sound? or just when switches are triggered? if it does have background sound how do you turn on?

#1207 3 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Manual's description of background sound on/off is wrong - opposite of what described, unless you have modified software in it, where it is corrected or always on.

well I just figured that out. I got it working now. Makes sense on why I could not get it to work.

#1208 3 years ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

any chance someone has a spare used lower left plastic, near the flipper? My only broken plastic in the game, not sure i want to spend $150 on a whole new set...
[quoted image]

got it, nice used one. shoot me your address

#1209 3 years ago

I pulled the playfield out today and it was in rougher shape than I thought. I pulled the ball guide off. Both pieces on the end by the flipper have the little screw bracket broke. What is the best way to fix this?

Look at the ends that mount it to the rails. They are different. This playfield had the early stern flipper brackets so they must have only put these on very early games.

20200813_200850 (resized).jpg20200813_200850 (resized).jpg20200813_200916 (resized).jpg20200813_200916 (resized).jpg
#1212 3 years ago
Quoted from GoldenOreos:

man those look better than the wire guide, wonder why they aren't common. looks like it will fix the ball hop.

yea, that ball hop does suck

#1224 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

For four years I have been looking at these ball guides on PBR's website. I did not know what they were until woody came along.
So, I bought them and was going to tell everyone here that PBR has some. Turns out the pair he had and that I bought were his only pair.
I may not install them. If the ball is going to come crashing down into a sharp edge on the outlanes hundreds of time, I'm thinking the ball with turn into a scratched up mess in short order.
[quoted image]

nice score man. I would love to get these made by @djblouw. Your set might be in better shape than mine as far as the bend goes. I can send mine no problem, but with broken brackets and possible bend being off some might cause issues.

#1225 3 years ago

My right side is the one that has the ball bounce as well.

#1230 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Just checked my parts. Definitely different. Can’t believe I never noticed that before. Haha. Ordering the proper ones now.
I’m definitely still going to have flipper hop, but this will help.
Thanks!

can you post a link to the proper ones

#1234 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Steve at PBR is fast. I ordered 2 days ago. My order is here.
Here is a pic of the ball guides at the entry point. I'm thinking the rough edges will cut and scratch the ball. Especially when you consider the impact forces when the ball collides on its way to the drain.
I a going to (attempt ) to file the rough edges and try and round them out just like the guide that is already there. To install, I will have to drill 2 holes into the rail. I will also have to drill a hole in my restored play field but the hole will be well hidden so I have no issue with that.
This will be next week's project.
Now, I need to sit down and write a check to PBR. No way do I want to find myself on Steve's slow-pay list
[quoted image][quoted image]

Do both your brackets that screw into the rail match? mine have different shapes. Just wondering if they are all like that?

#1238 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I installed the left side guide a few minutes ago.
I have played a few games. I don't see any change in inlane performance. So, don't feel cheated performance wise.
By using a small pice of wood for alignment, I set it to exit just above the base circle of the flipper.
[quoted image]
I had filed the front edge to round and smooth it out but that was not needed. I was able to position the new guide in the same place as the old guide and was able to leave that strange little rod in place. So, there is no change in the drain action.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
When installed, it is barely noticeable except for the "T" mounting bracket.
[quoted image]

awesome, can't wait to get mine on.

#1245 3 years ago

I made me some new brackets for the lane guides. My rivet tools are in storage so had to order a new tool and some rivets. Should have my lane guides on next weekend. I will probably go ahead and put on the playfield protector then as well. I finally cleared all the cards once I put the guard that is behind the flippers on. Makes the game so much easier.

#1261 3 years ago
Quoted from JethroP:

Cottonm4 invited me on this safari. Wants to see the tiger I bagged recently. Here's my story:
I learned of a family with an old pin about 4 miles away. Last Sunday I drove out to their house (10 minutes) to check it out. Lo and behold, in their garage was this tiger staring me in the face. I could see this tiger had power but it didn't move. The lady told me they purchased it about 20 years ago (or maybe it died 20 years ago, I forget). I offered her to bag it and she said ok. Loaded it up and brought it home.
Now for the pin: Wouldn't boot. Replaced 5 chips on the MPU. Repaired one broken wire to the knocker solenoid. Stripped and cleaned the playfield, and installed new rubbers and lamps. Waiting for a fiber link to the flipper and a spinner assembly (which was totally missing)...BUT I HAVE PLAYED IT ALREADY with 3 flippers! Pretty darn cool. Love the sounds and action. If I keep it I need to sell something. I just don't have any more space. This is sitting in the walkway in my garage! What a dilemma
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

that sucker is in nice shape. great find. I would find a way to hang on to that one if I was you.

#1266 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Something else: Pinsider Thrillhouse makes play field protectors for several Sterns, including Big Game. I have never used Thrillhouse's protectors so I cannot speak to them directly, however, the one he has on this Big Game looks nice.
Before I restored and cleared my play field, I made a protector on my own to smooth out the inset bumps and keep the play field from wearing more.
Big Game has 5 rollover targets. For best performance, you need to remove the rollovers and reset them to match the height of the protector.
I am in the process of hand cutting a protector for a Hot Hand. They take a lot of time to make. This my 5th self made protector. And this one is my 2nd attempt as I made a bad cut on my first one for HH. I had to trash it and start over. I'll have 20 hours of my time invested.
https://www.beehivepinball.com/product/pinball-playshield-protector
The $80.00 being charged for these is a very fair price. IMO.
[quoted image]

I got one of his protectors for Big Game. Going to try to get it done this weekend. It seems to be very well made and did not come rolled up. That was the first thing I asked when I purchased it. When you say remove the rollovers are you saying the entire rollover insert and reseat?

1 week later
#1286 3 years ago

I finally got my BG all finished up. I went with a beehive playfield protector for now and if I find it is a long term keeper I will eventually send off to keith holbrook. Rebuilt the flippers while I had the bats off and that took way longer than installing the protector. I also removed the 2 bally bats and installed stern bats and that took away the ball hop. Back to the protector, beehive has a very nice quality product. Fit perfect with NO modifications needed. I removed the bats and pop bumper caps and layed it right in place. The playfield protector probably only took about 30 minutes to install and looks very nice and plays way nicer than I thought it would. With everything dialed in I must say BG is shaping up to be one of my favorites. I will probably order a new backglass and leave it alone after that.

#1289 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

After putting these strange looking inlane guides on I have some new play action happening on my Big Game.
For first time on this pin, I am getting balls that run up the inlanes in reverse and come out on the top. There is no reason that this could not have happened in the last 4 years but it only started happening after I put these guides on.
Coincidence? Possibly.

I never could get my new brackets mount with rivets so I am having them welded on. As soon as I get them back I am going to install mine.

#1291 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I want these guides bad. Also finally got the right flipper bats in my game too.

if someone will commit to making them I will send mine off this week. I spend some time on mine last night and still am noticing some ball hope on the right side with the correct flipper bats.

#1293 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Well these attach to the playfield like the under the flipper guides right with tabs? I figured you could move them to any position you want.

yep

#1295 3 years ago

had my best game tonight. what a amazing pinball machine this is. I might have the chance at a catacomb soon. how does it compare to BG?

#1301 3 years ago
Quoted from GoldenOreos:

Catacomb is good, u should go to GG and play it first though, it's a weird one just walking up to it. I like that I'm not one of the only ones here in nash on the 80s stern bandwagon. I'm still workin on convincing Jason to let me pf swap that quicksilver....one day

I did not know GG had a catacomb. Will probably run out this weekend and check it out.

#1319 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Big Game is plenty fast, as you know. Catacomb is faster, and part of that is due to the standard size cab. I like it as is, but realize not everyone shares my enthusiasm.
All I can really say is that while I like it at home, there is no way I would start feeding this pin quarters in the arcade. I'd be broke in an hour, if not 20 minutes.

I watched that video you sent me, insane how fast it plays.

#1321 3 years ago

anyone got any cool instruction cards or just go original?

#1323 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I bought these from a pinsider. I can't remember his name but he is still making these. He is on another pinside thread. Give me a chance to find him.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

nice, those look great

#1324 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I bought these from a pinsider. I can't remember his name but he is still making these. He is on another pinside thread. Give me a chance to find him.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

are those titan flipper rubbers you got?

#1328 3 years ago
Quoted from rollitover:

Stern Electronics Club thread
Courtesy of Mr_Tantrum post thread #3197

thank you sir

1 week later
#1334 3 years ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

Took me 2 years to find one around WA, and I ended up having to ship one from CO... not easy!

Your classic stern collection is insane. I have dracula coming.

2 weeks later
#1345 3 years ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

Begs the questions, which flipper mech style is on it, tractordoc? Likely gen 1 version?

my playfield that had these lane guides did have Gen 1 flipper mechs

1 week later
#1363 3 years ago
Quoted from statictrance:

$1,200 for a non working BG with bonus worn playfield and flaked backglass? Have they appreciated that much in recent years?!?

Yes

2 months later
#1374 3 years ago
Quoted from Hyperion:

Joined the hunt yesterday

damn, that playfield looks amazing. super jealous

#1376 3 years ago

very nice. I played mine for about a hour this morning. Such a great one. let us know how you compare it to Nine Ball.

1 week later
#1386 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Compare mine on the left and the White one on the right. The white in the face is extremely white; Same for the teeth. The eyes are with instead of yellow. The tips of the leaves new white and not yellow. The nose and tongue are white with some shades of pink. The white in the whiskers is also white
I see some cracks in the paint. Would I rather that not be there? Sure. But the glass is still presentable.
I could have bought a pig in a poke, but never having seen one before I decided to take a chance.
Correction: I have seen this white back glass before. It is over at VP Forums in the downloads section for the items that are available for the Big Game downloads. So more correctly, I have not seen this glass, only an artist rendition of this glass.
[quoted image]

I would be interested in your old glass if you sell it

1 week later
#1390 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

That old glass in my BG Resto replacement. I do have my original old back glass. It has some flaking which I could probably mask with a couple of decals. I can get you some pics if you are still interested. Send me a PM and I set it up.

since it looks like we are getting new playfields I might as well go ahead and order a repro BG. I guess if your original is not too bad I might consider it.

#1405 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

maybe it was a UK or European supplier. I’ll look around. But I did see them

yea, seems like i have seen them somewhere as well

#1408 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Hey, do you want me to get you some pics of my original Big Game back glass? It needs some work and would get you by but IMO, BG Resto is the way to go.
I would sell my BG Resto back glass but not interested in giving it away.

I just did a touch up job on my BG that will get me by until I can order a new from bgresto.

2 months later
#1442 3 years ago
Quoted from ita47:

I finally joined the club thanks to my buddy jdoz2. This Big Game needs a lot of work, but it is a starting point. The MPU has pretty extensive acid damage I'm not sure if I can repair it or not, the solenoid driver board has a hole blown in it, the light board has some smoked transistors and the rectifier board is probably toast. I almost always replace the rectifier board anyway. The playfield is worn and the coin door has some damage around the coin return hole. The backglass isn't perfect but it isn't terrible either. I started cleaning the playfield, it was dirty because it was missing the glass. It's a project, but I am glad finally get one. It's on the list for restoration but I have several in front of it so it will be a while. Hopefully someone will reproduce a playfield by the time I get to it.

playfield is not that bad and everything is there. all boards are available, so congrats. it is my favorite stern for sure.

2 weeks later
#1473 2 years ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

Again, a prototype is usually done for simplicity's sake. Why would they bother adding any small patches of pigment if the goal was green/white?

True, very possible those yellow areas at the bottom where somehow covered by something so did not bleach out. Who knows? I kind of like the white version, matches the cabinet well.

#1480 2 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

Did my first Beehive playshield sunday. I like it. Well executed. Instructions were great and definitely addressed things i would have not considered until i found out the hard way. Waxed the playshield, tuned the flippers, pops & slings, added 1x4's under the back legs and popped in a fresh tumbled polished ball. Niiiiiiice...
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I put a beehive on my BG and love it. Plays great and after hundreds of plays it still looks new. I have had many clear coated playfields and to me it plays very similar.

1 month later
#1508 2 years ago
Quoted from Kawasakiltd:

Just became part of the club very fun game. Looking for a part that is missing on mine and was wondering if any one has a parts playfield with the ball guides behind the flippers mine are missing. The part number from the book is A-655 which is located at W1. I am sure many years ago the operator took them off for more profit. Thanks will post some pics soon.

I might have some that need repair. I bought some new ones from a guy on pinside who makes them.

2 months later
#1523 2 years ago
Quoted from GoldenOreos:

probably the nicest original back glass I've come across so far

dude, where did you find this? was that the one on the project you rounded up?

1 month later
#1533 2 years ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

Just picked this up from a restoration and clearcoat job by Keith Holbrook (Total Pinball Restorations). Can’t wait to get her back together!

Keith rocks, he has done some games for me before

#1539 2 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

I got tired of fighting with the three lamp card boards in my Big Game. Circuit boards and the LEDs are also pretty inexpensive so I decided to have some new LED boards made.
Set of 3 boards is $25 + $4.5 shipped ins the USA.
LED is a 2835 warm white (~3000K) wide viewing angle.
There are load resistors on the lamp boards. Install the solder jumpers for original, not LED capable lamp driver board. Leave the solder jumpers out for LED capable lamp driver board.
Installation.
On the bench before working on the game add a small puddle to every wire landing pad that is going to be used. You will likely only use 'BUS V OPTION' #3 or #4.
It is going to be a lot easier to install with the playfield out of the game and upside down. I slid the game out. Unplugged a few cables and sat the PF on saw horses.
Unscrew the first lamp card you want to work on. Fold it over out of the way. Screw down the new lamp board in place. (1A to upper left number; IE 1A to top left card #1)
Move wires from old lamp board to the new lamp board one at a time so you don't get mixed up. Cut the wire off the old board. Strip the insulation. Tin the wire with new solder. Heat up the solder pad on the new board and the wire lead. Once melted place on the pad. Repeat

Damn, I like these but already have the other upgraded boards. I do like these better, so might have to do another swap.

4 weeks later
#1546 2 years ago

I have a decent Big Game playfield if someone could use it. I was going to send it off and have it restored by Keith Holbrook but changed my mind.

1 week later
#1553 2 years ago

Thinking about just keeping my BG now, so looking for decent used backglass.

#1555 2 years ago

I have a large box of Big Game parts. All the playfield ball guides and wire guides, partial plastic set with new and used plastics, I have the proto outlane guides, a 3 bank drop target assembly with targets and coil, 1 very nice BG spinner, and lots of other parts Stern specific like flipper assemblies and more.

a complete very nice stern coinbox also and a 100% working original lamp board off a catacomb.

I do not want to part all this out in pieces but if someone could use this and wants it all please shoot me a PM.

1 month later
#1557 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I just got some decals in from TractorDoc. His spinner decals for Big Game just look super. The color match is almost dead on.
I know some of you need to work your Big Game spinners over. Now you can.
[quoted image]

How do you buy?

2 months later
#1587 2 years ago

Keith is crazy affordable. He has done complete game restorations for me playfield, cab, everything for less than $2000. He did a playfield for $600.

#1589 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

And with these 2 posts, Keith is going to be getting buried with requests

I am sure he is more than a year out and his pricing has probably gone up in the last 2 years.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu

$ 33.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Boston, MA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider woody76.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/big-game-club-the-safari-has-started?tu=woody76 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.