IMG_1093 (resized).jpeg
51CwcKhRSvL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_ (resized).jpg
IMG_1084 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1082 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1083 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1528 New code!! Posted by slochar (2 years ago)

Post #1547 Updated Roms change log Posted by chuckwurt (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Fytr.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#624 6 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I can take some better pics if anybody needs them.

Thanks for posting these measurements.

My game also arrived to me without these brackets. It's on location and people were really enjoying the gaps between the flippers, forcing them to play on the fly. But it was also a PIA because the ball would sometimes get stuck between the upper flipper and the post and the players would tilt the game trying to free it. Then the game would need to be opened to retrieve the ball. Not ideal for a location game.

Anyway, I used your measurements to cut out some new guides using some thin tin sheeting and regular tin snips that I already had. Worked out great!

I cut out rectangular sections of tin large enough so I could fold them over to make a double-thick piece for each guide.
IMG_3295 (resized).JPGIMG_3295 (resized).JPG

Then used my vice and a hammer to carefully fold the tin over, and bend it so the bottom edge would act as a mounting plate.
IMG_3299 (resized).JPGIMG_3299 (resized).JPG
IMG_3298 (resized).JPGIMG_3298 (resized).JPGIMG_3296 (resized).JPGIMG_3296 (resized).JPG

IMG_3300 (resized).JPGIMG_3300 (resized).JPG

I did mess up a bit in that I misread your measurement on the mounting bracket and ended making my entire bottom piece 0.35" wide, which was really the distance to the center of the hole. However, it worked out okay I simply used some washers to extend my bolt head over the bracket. It is held securely.

IMG_3306 (resized).JPGIMG_3306 (resized).JPG

IMG_3309 (resized).JPGIMG_3309 (resized).JPG

IMG_3308 (resized).JPGIMG_3308 (resized).JPG

1 year later
#819 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I am working with Kerry at Mantis to build some ball guides for Quicksilver. It would be a perfect time to see if Kerry could make some of the guides that go between the Big Game flippers.
Anybody interested in some spares for their Big Game? Steve at PBR used to have some but he sold out.
Speak up. Make your self counted.

I made my own but would be interested if priced reasonably.

I actually removed the right-side one again as I prefer the dangerous gap between the flippers on that side. I left the screw in the hole closest to the bottom flipper and that keeps the ball form hanging up there which it otherwise does pretty regularly.

#820 4 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Since there's only one display available for spins, I made a decision that if the right is the only one going, that's going to show, but the left being the more important shot that will take priority.
What you can do for the videos is run a video while you are playing and if you run into an issue clip that portion out or about 30 seconds on either side of it for review. Basically what was new on v5 was the 5x scoring and the much longer timeout (since re-shortened) of the triple card lighting. Erik has the v6 replacement which rolled all the small things I noticed from his video into the fixes. Most of them were really preferences of mine to make the results be more polished.
Originally I was only going to do a one off spinner count rom for Cotton I had no idea people were so into that. Probably should add it to other Stern games like meteor, stars, and nine ball.

This might seem like a ridiculous suggestion but in addition to the spinner count as implemented could you also...

Use the other 3 player's score displays (for the players not currently playing) as a sort of velocity gauge?

So the faster the spinner was spinning the longer the gauge would be (filling more of the 7 digits the faster it is going). The digits used could go from 0-9 and the number of digits used would be a percentage of 100, which you would have to arbitrarily figure out what a good threshold for this would be. And if the spinner was above 100 (all 9's filling all 7 digits of each display) they could start to flash to show that you're spinner rate was in "overload"!

This would be a very fun effect esp if all three of the "other" score displays were used at a the same time.

examples:
Spinner ripping at initial hit: 9999999 (flashing)
Starting to slow down a bit: 7777777
Slower: 55555
Almost stopped: 22

I'm really excited to try the new software! I just need to replace my Alltek with a Weebly board so I can load up custom ROMs. My game is also going back on location soon and I know the league guys will love these additions!

#821 4 years ago

I just finished installing the replacement boards for the grid sockets and I've noticed that on all three cards (X, Y, Z) my 8 and 9 lights are reversed. So dropping the 8 target lights 9, and dropping the 9 lights 8. In addition, on only the X card the 5 and 6 lights are similarily reversed.

I figured I must have messed up when I soldered the wires onto the new boards but in this configuration the attract mode light show works perfectly, the straight lines cascade in both directions as expected. If I re-wire the cards so the targets match the digits correctly, the attract show lightshow will be messed up.

Has anyone encountered this before? Suggestions?

#824 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

We’re they right before? If so you mixed up the wiring somewhere.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19sZoDc1MHa73RKTqZHUNUDDT7DLCRHlGP695ltOndps

Honestly I don't recall checking but I have a vague recollection that they might not have been.

It doesn't make any sense though.

Are you guys *sure* your 8 and 9 lights correspond to the 8 and 9 drop targets? And if so, does your attract mode work correctly?

To illustrate what I'm on about here's a little diagram. Currently my attract mode looks 100%. So on the animation where the entire vertical column of lights are lit at once and they move across the card...

(1) 2 3
(4) 5 6
(7) 8 9

1 (2) 3
4 (5) 6
7 (8) 9

1 2 (3)
4 5 (6)
7 8 (9)

On this card the 5 and 6 are swapped (6 lights for 5 drop target, 5 lights for 6 drop target), as are the 8 and 9. If I switch the light wires around to correct that, then the attract mode animation will be borked like this...

(1) 2 3
(4) 5 6
(7) 8 9

1 (2) 3
4 5 (6)
7 8 (9)

1 2 (3)
4 (5) 6
7 (8) 9

I feel like I'm losing my mind...

#828 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Yes to both. If you click my link and follow those instructions that should be the correct wiring. Or use the schematic posted above. If your game is still wonky, then you might have a lamp board or mpu issue.

Okay will review again tonight. Some of my wire colours running to the lamps are different from those listed in the instructions for some reason.

#837 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Yes to both. If you click my link and follow those instructions that should be the correct wiring. Or use the schematic posted above. If your game is still wonky, then you might have a lamp board or mpu issue.

Okay will review again tonight. Some of my wire colours running to the lamps are different from those listed in the instructions for some reason.

Quoted from Fytr:

Okay, I have confirmed that my socket wiring is correct, it's the bloody drop target switches that are wrong!
Here's a snap of my X card wiring for reference.
IMG_7006 (resized).JPGIMG_7006 (resized).JPG

When I originally tested things a few days ago I screwed up and somehow missed the fact that the swapped lights were consistent across all 3 cards, instead I thought that it 5-6 was swapped on X and Y but not Z, and 8-9 were swapped on all 3 cards. This threw me for a loop as I couldn't figure out how the attract mode light show could be perfect, but only 2 out of the 3 cards could have swapped 5-6 lights (hence the post here).

However, last night when I retested things all 3 cards showed the same issues (5-6 and 8-9 swapped). This makes a lot more sense since it's pretty obvious now that it's actually the drop-target switches that are miswired, not the lights!

Thanks for the quick responses!

2 months later
#948 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

For shipping those small guides to Canada, use the small cardboard box from the post office. The post office charges about $2.50 for the box. That will let you get them to Canada for around $10.00 shipping. You don't get any tracking info at the $10 price, though.
If you want tracking, you will have to pay Priority prices which will be around $30.00 !
I feel sorry for all the Maple Leafers and their crazy postage prices. Ordering parts up there is some serious business.

I wonder if a padded envelope would be better/cheaper?

#959 4 years ago
Quoted from djblouw:

Okay, the first batch is all spoken for (10 sets). I'll make more if needed, but would like to get 3-4 people before buying more material, so that I can keep the price the same.

I'm in for 2 sets please!

Will PM.

4 months later
#1103 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I cannot burn ROMs. A pinside friend in Arkanas burned a set for me. It is not a big deal to me if an occasional drain shuts down the spin counter. I mean, I did get 102 spins on the inner spinner; That was cool and a big surprise.
I don't mean to sound trite, but I'll worry about it later.

It's pretty arguable that a drained ball shouldn't stop the spinners from counting anyway. Each spin is a switch close that occurs *after* the ball is in the trough. Too-bad, so sad in my book.

2 months later
#1280 3 years ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

What do we think? perfect play green flipper rubber (bottom) or Superband green flipper rubber (top) or plain black?
[quoted image]

I use Perfect Play white on top and green on bottoms on mine. Plays great. I don't use Superbands for flippers they are too different from normal rubber for my liking.

8 months later
#1462 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

This is like waiting for Christmas morning to open my presents. I always had to peek
I have to peek.
This is that weirded out back glass that I bought out of Florida 3-4 months ago.
[quoted image]
This is the pic of the same back glass that I saw on VP Forums.
[quoted image]
Yesterday, this showed up on the "what machine did you bring home today" thread.
This makes 3 of these white back glasses. This makes me want to thump my chest and howl at the moon
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-machine-did-you-bring-home-today-post-your-pictures/page/403#post-6258316
post #20121
[quoted image]
Buuuuuut, not so fast for me. About 4 months ago, this one showed up on the Big Game thread. I missed it at the time.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/big-game-club-the-safari-has-started/page/28
post # 1373
[quoted image]
The BIG GAME still shows shades of red but looks like it is going white. The nose is turning white. And the tongue is starting to bleach a little bit. The "Stern" script above the eyes looks like it is turning white, as well.
======================================
Maybe what I am looking it is a collection of sun bleached messes. Maybe I am being anal about it. But I like mysteries; My other hobby is reading Agatha Christie mystery novels

Given that the tongue pattern looks similar between the badly fading one and your white one...

I'm inclined to think yours is badly faded. Sorry.

#1474 2 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

True, very possible those yellow areas at the bottom where somehow covered by something so did not bleach out. Who knows? I kind of like the white version, matches the cabinet well.

It does match the cabinet. Red pops way more though.

Do the other examples of the white backglass also have the yellow areas at the bottom?

1 year later
#1808 1 year ago
Quoted from GoldenOreos:

So I want to remove the guides behind flippers and the posts in order to make it where you can get scissored, But only if it's possible to make the flippers stage. is this possible? what would be the best way to go about that? thanks.

I've had mine setup without the guides on location and used during our leagues, tournaments. Is super fun that way. Didn't worry about staging the upper vs lower flipper at all. Only problem was the flipper could sometimes jam the ball under it and next to a post, requiring the glass to be removed to free it.

3 months later
#2003 10 months ago
Quoted from Quench:

Hmm, with staging I guess Stern wanted the upper flippers to have a small chance of getting out of the way of the lower flippers.

It allows you to bounce-pass the ball off the top of the upper flipper from the lower flipper, if you're highly skilled/lucky.

2 weeks later
#2078 10 months ago

Amazing job!

1 week later
#2150 9 months ago
Quoted from Dragon:

[quoted image]

Where'd you get that snazzy diagram?

6 months later
#2363 3 months ago

I would NOT sell that Big Game. It is the finest playing classic widebody, period. You should bolt it to the floor. Nothing JJP makes (esp. POTC) can touch it. Trust me.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

$ 199.95
Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 33.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Boston, MA
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 69.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Fytr.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/big-game-club-the-safari-has-started?tu=Fytr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.