Topic Stats

• 880 posts
  • 63 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 18 minutes ago by Dragon
  • Topic is favorited by 26 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 257 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20180616_200509 (resized).jpg
20180617_104549 (resized).jpg
20180617_104705 (resized).jpg
20180617_104638 (resized).jpg
20180617_104628 (resized).jpg
20180608_154638 (resized).jpg
20180608_154325 (resized).jpg
20180608_154312 (resized).jpg
20180608_154316 (resized).jpg
20180608_154301 (resized).jpg
IMG_2652 (resized).jpg
IMG_2653 (resized).jpg
IMG_2666 (resized).jpg
IMG_2672 (resized).jpg
IMG_2675 (resized).jpg
IMG_2655 (resized).jpg

There are 880 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 18.
#401 3 years ago

I'm in. Actually have had this game for about 6 months sitting in my shop collecting dust. Decided to bust it out on friday. Damn WTF took me so long this thing is in great condition and it's fun as hell. I actually had no room in the gameroom so I finally pulled seawitch out for a full restore and put big game in its place. Rebuilt all the flips, pops, slings and fine tuned the spinners. Cleaned it up really good already had the LEDS. I bought this as a package trade that included a really nice catacomb and kind of a beater meteor for my funhouse. Totally happy with that deal as catacomb is by far our favorite old school game. We were very pleased that this wide body plays similarly too catacomb. I have this game playing super fast. I need to take a video. This will be an easy restore when I get to it as it's in really nice shape to start with.

1big game (resized).jpg

#402 3 years ago

Looks great! Are u in for some aftermarket light board replacements for the bingo card light boxes?

#403 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Looks great! Are u in for some aftermarket light board replacements for the bingo card light boxes?

i wasn't.... but i could be, if I knew wtf you were talking about Chuck. lol...

#404 3 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

i wasn't.... but i could be, if I knew wtf you were talking about Chuck. lol...

Basically the lights that are in the bingo cards are in these horrible metal boxes under the pf. They are always flaky and impossible to get all the lights to work consistently.

Someone is making an aftermarket replacement to update those boxes to a more modern light board like we're used in many games with the twist in 555 sockets. They are already being developed and pretty sure they are getting made so just wanted to let you know. I'll post updates here as I get them. See the previous page in this thread for more talk about them.

#405 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Basically the lights that are in the bingo cards are in these horrible metal boxes under the pf. They are always flaky and impossible to get all the lights to work consistently.
Someone is making an aftermarket replacement to update those boxes to a more modern light board like we're used in many games with the twist in 555 sockets. They are already being developed and pretty sure they are getting made so just wanted to let you know. I'll post updates here as I get them. See the previous page in this thread for more talk about them.

gotcha. yeah they were all working and upgraded to leds so I never had to get in there but I did notice them. in fact I used one as a brace for a prop rod to hold up the pf as I did up the flippers (which are kickass BTW). I appreciate the heads up and may pick some of these up if the price is right. I will probably restore this one after seawitch and catacomb

#406 3 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

I'm in. Actually have had this game for about 6 months sitting in my shop collecting dust. Decided to bust it out on friday. Damn WTF took me so long this thing is in great condition and it's fun as hell. I actually had no room in the gameroom so I finally pulled seawitch out for a full restore and put big game in its place. Rebuilt all the flips, pops, slings and fine tuned the spinners. Cleaned it up really good already had the LEDS. I bought this as a package trade that included a really nice catacomb and kind of a beater meteor for my funhouse. Totally happy with that deal as catacomb is by far our favorite old school game. We were very pleased that this wide body plays similarly too catacomb. I have this game playing super fast. I need to take a video. This will be an easy restore when I get to it as it's in really nice shape to start with.

First off, welcome to the club.
Second, what took you so long indeed.
Third, fun is what its all about and for early ss you CANNOT go wrong with this one.
Had mine for three years now (and counting)... still love it.
Rock solid pin with all three standards: shots, pops and drops.
Wait until you light reserve bonus and this bad boy counts it off.
Sounds like its about to go through the ceiling!!!
And finally, sweet package trade. Getting a "really nice" Catacomb along with a great condition Big Game is quite the find! A+

#407 3 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

That is a nice looking Big Game !!

#408 3 years ago

I am in 100% for new bingo lamp boards!!!! Take my money!!! LOL.

#409 3 years ago

Ok, new to the club! Been wanting this pin bad for awhile now and finally snagged one. I am in for the lightboards, who is in charge and what's the cost looking like?

Cheers,
Seth

#410 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballholder:

Ok, new to the club! Been wanting this pin bad for awhile now and finally snagged one. I am in for the lightboards, who is in charge and what's the cost looking like?
Cheers,
Seth

Pinball replacement parts is making them. Last I heard from Chris Eddy was that the boards were finished being designed and he was just waiting to get a bunch of them in hand. That was on 9/27. He estimated a set of 3 costing $33.

#411 3 years ago

Dont forget about me. I'm in on a set!!

#412 3 years ago

Pretty sure when they are ready he will just add them to his website. I'll keep everyone posted.

#413 3 years ago

Just got word from Chris! I'm getting a prototype set next week and once I can test them and give him the all clear he will make them available on his website. Stay tuned!!

#414 3 years ago
Quoted from rollitover:

First off, welcome to the club.
Second, what took you so long indeed.
Third, fun is what its all about and for early ss you CANNOT go wrong with this one.
Had mine for three years now (and counting)... still love it.
Rock solid pin with all three standards: shots, pops and drops.
Wait until you light reserve bonus and this bad boy counts it off.
Sounds like its about to go through the ceiling!!!
And finally, sweet package trade. Getting a "really nice" Catacomb along with a great condition Big Game is quite the find! A+

Thanks man. Yeah we are very happy with that trade. Love old sterns. Have sea witch, catacomb, f2k, big game, meteor. All great and under rated games. Hooked up the sub woofer sun night. Awesome.

#415 3 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

Have sea witch, catacomb, f2k, big game, meteor.

You're getting there, my friend.

#416 3 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

You're getting there, my friend.

oh yeah I forgot galaxy too

20151203_003613_zps4stxhbwq (resized).JPG

20151203_003355_zpslgkjlyes (resized).JPG

#417 3 years ago

Cheers,
Seth

Seth,

Did you snag the Big Game that was for sale in Lafayette by chance?

#418 3 years ago
Quoted from Gryphun:

Seth,
Did you snag the Big Game that was for sale in Lafayette by chance?

No, but was wondering who did. I got mine from jabbles180.

#419 3 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

oh yeah I forgot galaxy too

SA-WEET Galaxy!

Darn near had one of those once upon a time....
ended up with a Bally Viking kinda by accident.

#420 3 years ago

... or better yet...
"This is the Big Game Club. How'd that Galaxy get in here!"

JK, obviously

#421 3 years ago

No, but was wondering who did. I got mine from jabbles180.

Wondering as well since I was trying to buy the Big Game in Lafayette and Lightning that was available in Concord (owners wanted too much based on the condition for that one)

#422 3 years ago
Quoted from rollitover:

... or better yet...
"This is the Big Game Club. How'd that Galaxy get in here!"
JK, obviously

thats just me trying to brag about myself on that restore lol...

#423 3 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

thats just me trying to brag about myself on that restore lol...

Dude! Brag all 'ya want cause that bad boy is nice for sure!

#424 3 years ago
Quoted from rollitover:

Dude! Brag all 'ya want cause that bad boy is nice for sure!

too bad it's just a shitty game. we never play it but I dont really want to sell it as I have a dream of a full collection of restored classic sterns someday

#425 3 years ago

Hey if 'ya got the room you're better off keeping it.
Besides your Classic Stern collection is well on its way.
If you were to let it go you'd regret it and you would more than likely will not find another as nice.
So what if it lacks a bit on gameplay. It is an attractive machine imo, and it looks good next to Meteor.

#426 3 years ago

Any recommendations on playfield protector options? I have some cupping issues that are annoying...

#427 3 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

too bad it's just a shitty game. we never play it but I dont really want to sell it as I have a dream of a full collection of restored classic sterns someday

Galaxy is kick ass. IT just has to be set up right with the proper software, post adjustments and loops have to be tweeked to perfection and inlanes modified. Just alittle work and its a classic stern gem.

#428 3 years ago

Prototypes are in hand!! I'm hoping to get to trying them out next week. Still moving into my new house so I'll be doing that all weekend.

Stay tuned!

#430 3 years ago

IMG_4927 (resized).JPG

Right now you have to solder each wire to the pads on the board. After I go through the process of doing all these if it's too labor intensive I might see if he can do another type of board with a connector on it.

#431 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Right now you have to solder each wire to the pads on the board. After I go through the process of doing all these if it's too labor intensive I might see if he can do another type of board with a connector on it.

NOW you're talkin' !!!
Easier the better in my book. But new and improved still better than what we have to begin with.

#432 3 years ago
Quoted from rollitover:

NOW you're talkin' !!!
Easier the better in my book. But new and improved still better than what we have to begin with.

Yeah I'm gonna try to push for plug and play but even in that case you have to know how to pin connectors.

#433 3 years ago

That board does look nice.

#434 3 years ago

Does anyone have playfield scans for Big Game? As a whole or in pieces, I'm looking. Shoot me a PM. Thanks!

#435 3 years ago

Hey guys. I just got big game set back up after the move. I've mapped out the new board and I'll get to soldering it in tomorrow night. These will need some longer screws than the stock ones. I'll make sure and find the right kind to make sure Chris includes hardware with the boards.

Stay tuned!!

#436 3 years ago

I won't be able to finish tonight. I have the first card prepped and ready to go just need better lighting. I will continue tomorrow night and hopefully post a video of the first card installed. This will definitely be a project that will take some time for everyone.

#437 3 years ago

Interested in this new board

Have some issues on the light panel on Nineball too..

#438 3 years ago

They Work!!! The key to getting these installed is patience. Take your time, and the install is not bad at all. Things to note:

1. Get a very thin tip for your iron. I got these and they were perfect for prepping the board. amazon.com link »

2. Tin the pads on the board first. Getting a nice dome of solder on each pad is key. lay the iron tip as flat as you can to cover the pad and then get the solder to it to build up the dome. Should take 1-2 seconds per pad.

3. Remove the wires from the old light box. Don'r worry about keeping track of what goes where, there will be a mapping guide included with the kit, but just in case your wiring isnt the same as mine, take lots of pictures of what wires go to what sockets.

4. Tin all the wires. getting solder on the wires before connecting them to the board is very key. makes attaching them to the board very easy.

5. secure the board to the playfield. the stock screws are not long enough, so longer ones are needed. I will suggest that hardware get added to the final kits.

6. Before reconnecting any wires, make sure the playfield is in the full upright position.

7. solder the common wire to the board first, the do the top row left to right, middle row left to right, and the bottom row left to right. have all the wires coming from the top and down each column to get to the pads. See my picture below to see what mine looked like after the installation of one board.

8. You will need 555 bulbs for this, and also you will need the twist in 555 sockets. Not sure if chris will include the sockets, but I will ask.

X board installed (resized).JPG

#439 3 years ago

Everything is installed and works great! I have sent all the wire mapping information to Chris and He said he will include hardware with the sets and maybe offer the twist in sockets as well. If not, he said he has them for cheap on his website anyway.

I have one flickery lamp (X card #1). I am positive it is from my Alltek lamp board not doing its job. I will put a incandescent in there to be certain, but I am sure that is what it is. Other than that, the lights are nice and bright! Hopefully these boards hold up, but I am sure they will.

I will post here once the kits are available for purchase.

#441 3 years ago

Was ready to order, but 41,80$ to ship it to canada... with the exchange rate, it's 56$can for three little board... real turn off! And this is only shipping...

#442 3 years ago

Cool! Ordered one set of three and thirty 555 sockets.

#443 3 years ago
Quoted from Redketchup:

Was ready to order, but 41,80$ to ship it to canada... with the exchange rate, it's 56$can for three little board... real turn off! And this is only shipping...

Bummer. Wonder if you email them and see if there is another way.

#444 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Bummer. Wonder if you email them and see if there is another way.

this what I have done!

#445 3 years ago

Hats off to chuckwurt for all the effort and for posting pics and instructions.
Pinside ROCKS. Great source of great information from people who are willing to help.

Quoted from Redketchup:

...and to Redketchup...
You need a friend on this side who could slip them over the boarder to you. SAVE$$$

#446 3 years ago

Do you plan on making a light board for stern meteor?

#447 3 years ago
Quoted from Gryphun:

Do you plan on making a light board for stern meteor?

Not my product but if you email Chris from that website I'm sure he can do some for the other early sterns.

#448 3 years ago

Got my board set and 555 sockets in mail today.

It looks like high quality material.

2 weeks later
#449 2 years ago

Anyone else install the new light boards? Just wanted to make sure the instructions for where the wires go is correct.

Also, I had one of my ball guards break again between the flippers. I know i found these new somewhere, and I cannot remember where. Anyone know where to find them? I think PBR might have them, but i have no idea what the part number is.

thanks!

#450 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Anyone else install the new light boards? Just wanted to make sure the instructions for where the wires go is correct.
Also, I had one of my ball guards break again between the flippers. I know i found these new somewhere, and I cannot remember where. Anyone know where to find them? I think PBR might have them, but i have no idea what the part number is.
thanks!

I'm still waiting to get my play field back the the restorer.

NOS Stern Big Game Short Ball Guide

It is about 1/3 way down in PBR's "Special when lit" section. . Part number: A-655 STN-A655. Watch how those "dashes" are placed. But Steve will probably already know what you want.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 10.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 44.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
There are 880 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 18.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside