IMG_1096 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1094 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1093 (resized).jpeg
51CwcKhRSvL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_ (resized).jpg
IMG_1084 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1082 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1083 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 2,441 posts in this topic. You are on page 40 of 49.
#1951 10 months ago

What is the benefit of using yopps instead of putting in a new socket and led bulb? Yopps are 3x the cost.

#1952 10 months ago
Quoted from sullivcd40:

What is the benefit of using yopps instead of putting in a new socket and led bulb? Yopps are 3x the cost.

never worry about a socket/bulb again
not sure where you're pricing yopps but they are less than a socket and led bulb - 50 in cool white are $45.00.

#1953 10 months ago
Quoted from sullivcd40:

Yopps are 3x the cost.

I dont know where that's coming from.
Pinball life also has their version

#1954 10 months ago
Quoted from sullivcd40:

Yopps are a dollar? Get them from him directly.

Yopps don’t need an aftermarket board to run them either. But you already have that bought.

#1955 10 months ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Yopps are a dollar? Get them from him directly.
Yopps don’t need an aftermarket board to run them either. But you already have that bought.

Not having to buy the aftermarket board is a nice selling point. Mine was pretty bad though and I struggle with desoldering. The old lamps look way better with the new board, I might just leave them. I kinda enjoy the endless game of wack a mole with these old sockets, it’s very satisfying to get them all working. I got a handful of replacement sockets from PBR for 8 cents a piece, Steve said they are way better than the originals. I’ll have to mull this over, you all have given me lots to think about, thanks to everyone who chimed in.

#1956 10 months ago

Yeah. Whether you go yopps or new sockets, you’ll never have issues again.

#1957 10 months ago

I've appreciated this conversation as I consider a playfield swap when one gets produced.

I'll be honest and say out of the gate I prefer my 80's games with incandescent bulbs. I don't buy the energy savings argument for games that aren't being operated and I've always preferred the look of real bulbs. But during this conversation the Yopps have started to move the needle for me. If I'm going to have sockets in my game I might as well have really lights in them... but if I can get rid of the sockets altogether... well... now that is worth thinking about.

Really appreciated the pictures of the bingo cards done with Yopps. I'm also considering the anarchy boards though, they look like they have the diode on them so one less step for me to do.

#1958 10 months ago

Sockets for 8 cents?! Is Steve having a clearance sale?

#1959 10 months ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

Sockets for 8 cents?! Is Steve having a clearance sale?

That’s the number that was in my head, I could be remembering wrong though. I’m pretty nervous when I’m on the phone with him and it was just a dozen to tack onto a bigger order in case i had to replace any on Paragon. Feel free to give him a call and get a quote though! Lol

#1960 10 months ago
Quoted from sullivcd40:

That’s the number that was in my head, I could be remembering wrong...

At 8 cents we'll all take a few hundred of them

#1961 10 months ago

I’ve also heard of people soldering in a resistor and an led for 5 cents a piece, not sure how that works but might be worth checking out if you have a bunch to do.

#1962 10 months ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

At 8 cents we'll all take a few hundred of them

I called to fact check myself, busy signal. I don’t want to misrepresent anything.

#1963 10 months ago

Probably, more like 80 something cents looking at the website-

https://www.pbresource.com/sockets.html

#1964 10 months ago
Quoted from sullivcd40:

I’ve also heard of people soldering in a resistor and an led for 5 cents a piece, not sure how that works but might be worth checking out if you have a bunch to do.

resistor on the nipple/tit one side and lamp base the other.

#1965 10 months ago
Quoted from JONESDS:

Probably, more like 80 something cents looking at the website-
https://www.pbresource.com/sockets.html

I was way off, he said they can be up to $1.50 each now depending upon which one you need and the price keeps going up every time he orders them. Sorry about that everyone! The PbL yopp for 80 cents when you order 200 is looking like a better deal by the minute.

#1966 10 months ago

The biggest advantage for me on LEDs is the heat savings parties used to get over ninety but now with mostly LEDs temp stays twenty degrees cooler.

#1967 10 months ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Good work! Now it shouldnt be too hard to match that red & green from the bingo card...and heck the lines just run right into the black and get covered. Now its getting fun !
The white is always the problem, you gotta have a secret weapon for rhat, or lots of mixing

I did the red and greens, it looks way better. I can’t get a match for the rest of it, I’ve tried a bunch of different combos and nothing gets close. Should I spray a light clear over it next? I was able to get the inserts fairly level by just pushing on them from underneath.

60CCBA75-08C4-482A-9429-CF29E9347DFA (resized).jpeg60CCBA75-08C4-482A-9429-CF29E9347DFA (resized).jpeg790482B1-1079-44E1-9D89-049EE484FC9C (resized).jpeg790482B1-1079-44E1-9D89-049EE484FC9C (resized).jpeg
#1968 10 months ago
Quoted from sullivcd40:

I did the red and greens, it looks way better. I can’t get a match for the rest of it, I’ve tried a bunch of different combos and nothing gets close. Should I spray a light clear over it next? I was able to get the inserts fairly level by just pushing on them from underneath. [quoted image][quoted image]

If you were able to push the inserts up to even, then you need to consider removing them and epoxying them in. Otherwise they will just sink again.

And that is a dirty play field. You should consider getting it good and clean before you think about applying any clear.

#1969 10 months ago

Well I have joined the club with the machine mentioned on page 37 that was for sale, came with another playfield, a couple boards, extra spinners and the damaged runaway transformer. Looking forward to this project when I get time, just moved and the games room won't be ready for a few months but it is the garage and its been powered up for some testing. So far I have found out that all the controlled lamps are very dim and flicker a lot, but otherwise it all seems to work ok. So other than the bingo card pcb's and the Siegecraft led adaptors (I really don't want to solder a zillion resistors on sockets) for the led upgrade, what are the must have/must do things for this machine? I haven't had a classic Stern since I sold my Quicksilver 15 years ago and am used to working on Williams machines mostly. Stoked for this one, love the old Stern sounds and bonus countdowns

#1970 10 months ago
Quoted from Teejay68:

Well I have joined the club with the machine mentioned on page 37 that was for sale, came with another playfield, a couple boards, extra spinners and the damaged runaway transformer. Looking forward to this project when I get time, just moved and the games room won't be ready for a few months but it is the garage and its been powered up for some testing. So far I have found out that all the controlled lamps are very dim and flicker a lot, but otherwise it all seems to work ok. So other than the bingo card pcb's and the Siegecraft led adaptors (I really don't want to solder a zillion resistors on sockets) for the led upgrade, what are the must have/must do things for this machine? I haven't had a classic Stern since I sold my Quicksilver 15 years ago and am used to working on Williams machines mostly. Stoked for this one, love the old Stern sounds and bonus countdowns

Nice score. Try to save that broken transformer.

I'm partial to this game; Get ready for fun.

I much prefer new LED lamp boards over adaptors. Boards are just a few dollars more. But it is just a preference.

I am also partial to my set up: Titan frosted rubber rings. Make all 4 flippers the 475s. 31" legs on the back for a 7% slope/back legs adjusted down all the way/adjust from front legs. The 31s make for a more stable machine compared to a machine with the back levelers kicked up all the way---but that will work.

The flippers are strong and handle the slope well. It plays fast.

#1971 10 months ago

Best rubber is rubber

#1972 10 months ago
Quoted from Teejay68:

I could use one of those extra spinners if you're looking to sell one . I have a restore in my future too... other things I'm considering beyond what you've noted is putting new drops in, not sure where to go in that regard actually, swinks has had new blanks manufactured, I believe there are lots of posts about the wrong drops not dropping so I haven't figured out what to do there. I also picked up some new plastics as not all of mine were correct and some were yellowed and warped.

#1973 10 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

If you were able to push the inserts up to even, then you need to consider removing them and epoxying them in. Otherwise they will just sink again.
And that is a dirty play field. You should consider getting it good and clean before you think about applying any clear.

What do you use for epoxy? I have rubber cement that has a brush and would be easy and gorilla glue that would be harder to work with. I have done one pass with novus 1 and a microfiber. I typically go novus 1 twice and then carnauba, I didn’t want to pull up anymore paint though. For clear, I have rust oleum 2x, I just want to seal the cards, I don’t want to take it to an auto body shop.

#1974 10 months ago
Quoted from sullivcd40:

What do you use for epoxy? I have rubber cement that has a brush and would be easy and gorilla glue that would be harder to work with. I have done one pass with novus 1 and a microfiber. I typically go novus 1 twice and then carnauba, I didn’t want to pull up anymore paint though. For clear, I have rust oleum 2x, I just want to seal the cards, I don’t want to take it to an auto body shop.

You have options.

https://www.amazon.com/J-B-Weld-ClearWeld-Syringe-25mL/dp/B09C6R4VSQ/ref=sr_1_4

or

Titebond, or Elmer's, or Gorilla Glue (not the stuff that foams and expands).

https://www.amazon.com/s

https://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-18-Ultimate-Waterproof-Natural/dp/B08J1MJ28D/ref=sr_1_21

You can buy all this stuff at your local hardware store. Amazon is just an easy search.

Remove the loose insert. Clean the hole up.

Get a popsicle stick. And a small hammer, and a block of wood. Dob just a small amount of glue (it does not take much glue) to the inside of the insert hole then push the insert in part way. Using the wooden block and hammer knock the insert in so it is flush with the play field. Hopefully, no glue squeezed out onto the play field. If you do have squeeze out then wipe it up with a damp cloth. Let the insert set for 24 hours.

or

You can try the rubber cement. It might work.
================================================

It's your play field so I won't tell you what to do, but it can be cleaned up. Look at this area by your left slingshot. The light color of green is the proper color. The darker shade is dirt. But since you are not clear coating you can work on clean up at another time.

Screen Shot 2023-06-04 at 10.41.55 AM (resized).jpgScreen Shot 2023-06-04 at 10.41.55 AM (resized).jpg

You can get some Magic Eraser and clean it up. Magic Eraser is a mild abrasive so you don't want to over do it, but working your play field surface with a damp Magic Eraser will clean things up. Just don't overdo it.

For Magic Eraser, stay with a name brand. Don't buy the cheap ME on Amazon for it is crap. You can get good quality ME at your grocery store in the cleaning supplies dept.

https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Clean-Original-Cleaning-Durafoam/dp/B07MF3DY3C/ref=sr_1_4

#1975 10 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:You have options.
amazon.com link »
or
amazon.com link »
amazon.com link »
You can buy all this stuff at your local hardware store. Amazon is just an easy search.
Get a popsicle stick. And a small hammer, and a block of wood. Dob just a small amount of glue (it does not take much glue) to the inside of the insert hole then push the insert in part way. Using the wooden block and hammer knock the insert in so it is flush with the play field. Hopefully, no glue squeezed out onto the play field. If you do have squeeze out then wipe it up with a damp cloth. Let the insert set for 24 hours.
or
It's your play field so I won't tell you what to do, but it can be cleaned up. Look at this area by your left slingshot. The light color of green is the proper color. The darker shade is dirt. But since you are not clear coating you can work on clean up at another time.
[quoted image]
You can get some Magic Eraser and clean it up. Magic Eraser is a mild abrasive so you don't want to over do it, but working your play field surface with a damp Magic Eraser will clean things up. Just don't overdo it.
For Magic Eraser, stay with a name brand. Don't buy the cheap ME on Amazon for it is crap. You can get good quality ME at your grocery store in the cleaning supplies dept.
amazon.com link »

Thanks for the options. I use novus 2 and magic eraser on ramps and it works great, I’m just nervous to do that on a playfield for fear of paint removal. I’ll do a test area and see how it comes out. We’ve been able to find a decent match mix for the “white” in the bingo cards. White, reddish yellow, deep coffee comes fairly close. Definitely better than bare wood.

#1976 10 months ago

I wouldn’t recommend off the shelf regular old rattle can spray clear on your playfield. It likely won’t live up to the rigors of pinball and make things worse. The 2x name isn’t the same as something like Spraymax 2K which is a two part auto clear.

#1977 10 months ago
Quoted from sullivcd40:

Thanks for the options. I use novus 2 and magic eraser on ramps and it works great, I’m just nervous to do that on a playfield for fear of paint removal.

Don't be afraid of Novus 2.

Quoted from play_pinball:

....It likely won’t live up to the rigors of pinball and make things worse....

Krylon Tough Coat works well

#1978 10 months ago
Quoted from sullivcd40:I’ll do a test area and see how it comes out.

Try that area just below the left sling shot on that leopard's butt.

#1979 10 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

You have options.
amazon.com link »
or
amazon.com link »
amazon.com link »
or
[quoted image]
amazon.com link »

Apply the glue for the insert from the bottom side of the playfield ?

#1980 10 months ago
Quoted from Dragon:

Correct, apply it to the lip that the insert sits on from underneath.

#1981 10 months ago
Quoted from Dragon:

Paint the inside of the insert hole with glue by using the popsicle stick. Then push the insert in. This should push any excess glue toward the bottom.

If you were to paint the outside of the insert with glue and then push into the hole, you would have glue squeezing out all over the play field.

#1982 10 months ago

info on the fairly new classic stern tombstone drops can be found here
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-tombstone-drop-targets-13a-11-any-interest

PBR and Planetry make the hooded drops but they are more flexible and contribute to bricking. My targets are still PA12 solid nylon but a little more firmer.

#1983 10 months ago

I went over it with magic eraser and novus 2 and then a second application of novus 2. It’s definitely better but could probably use another hit in spots.

7617C18B-8B4E-409A-A4D7-C8CD49B2DAD0 (resized).jpeg7617C18B-8B4E-409A-A4D7-C8CD49B2DAD0 (resized).jpeg9B43E0E5-B9CE-4D8F-B229-FDCCE6DCB3FD (resized).jpeg9B43E0E5-B9CE-4D8F-B229-FDCCE6DCB3FD (resized).jpeg
#1984 10 months ago
Quoted from sullivcd40:

I went over it with magic eraser and novus 2 and then a second application of novus 2. It’s definitely better but could probably use another hit in spots.
[quoted image][quoted image]

I see improvement but you have a ways to go. But stop when you are happy. It is your game.

One option if you don't want to clear coat but want some protection is to lay down some frisket over the bingo cards. It is designed for masking and peels up easily. When a piece gets worn, replace it with a new piece.

While remote, there is a possibility it could lift some paint, so you take your chances.

https://www.amazon.com/Original-Frisket-15-Inch-10-Inch-52808/dp/B004O7AENS/ref=sr_1_7

Hobby Lobby and Michael's carry frisket if you want to buy locally.

#1985 10 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Nice score. Try to save that broken transformer.
I'm partial to this game; Get ready for fun.
I much prefer new LED lamp boards over adaptors. Boards are just a few dollars more. But it is just a preference.
I am also partial to my set up: Titan frosted rubber rings. Make all 4 flippers the 475s. 31" legs on the back for a 7% slope/back legs adjusted down all the way/adjust from front legs. The 31s make for a more stable machine compared to a machine with the back levelers kicked up all the way---but that will work.
The flippers are strong and handle the slope well. It plays fast.

Thanks for the tips, I'll check out the boards as well. Sounds like a good setup you have, I will have to get flippers working better first as they are all somewhat weak. Looks like all the EOS and flipper switches are in bad shape

#1986 10 months ago
Quoted from roar:

I could use one of those extra spinners if you're looking to sell one . I have a restore in my future too... other things I'm considering beyond what you've noted is putting new drops in, not sure where to go in that regard actually, swinks has had new blanks manufactured, I believe there are lots of posts about the wrong drops not dropping so I haven't figured out what to do there. I also picked up some new plastics as not all of mine were correct and some were yellowed and warped.

Sorry but the spinners in the machine are going to be replaced as one is bare metal and the other one is kinda banged up. Luckily all the drops look to be in real good shape, just mechanisms need a thorough cleaning

#1987 10 months ago

Pinside_forum_7504787_0 (resized).jpgPinside_forum_7504787_0 (resized).jpg
remember this ? I wonder how that worked out

#1988 10 months ago
Quoted from Dragon:

[quoted image]
remember this ? I wonder how that worked out

The updates are out there spread across different classic Stern threads...

57 days ago...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-1980-sterns-quicksilver-stargazer-seawitch/page/167#post-7520989

5 days ago...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stargazer-club/page/13#post-7603434

#1989 10 months ago

Do you guys order 2 of the pbl rebuild kits for the flippers or is there a more efficient way?

#1990 10 months ago
Quoted from sullivcd40:

Do you guys order 2 of the pbl rebuild kits for the flippers or is there a more efficient way?

All you need is one kit for one machine. Unless you are talking Big Game or Seawitch. Then you need 2 kits. At 54.00 per kit.

https://www.pinballlife.com/classic-stern-flipper-rebuild-kit-left-and-right-flippers.html

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

For another 10 dollars you can buy the complete assembly which includes a coil and the flipper base. And don't ask me, but somehow flipper coils just start fluttering and die.

To buy a coil by itself is $17.00.

https://www.pinballlife.com/full-flipper-assembly-for-classic-stern-machines-031980-to-021982.html

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#1991 10 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

For another 10 dollars you can buy the complete assembly which includes a coil and the flipper base.

10 for only 1 flipper so it's a bit misleading.

Plus this is Big Game

#1992 10 months ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Plus this is Big Game

I think cotton was posting in another thread at the same time and didn’t realize this was the Big Game club. So looks like I’ll be sending $108 to pbl, Steve Young is out of most of the parts in the kit.

#1993 10 months ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Plus this is Big Game

Quoted from sullivcd40:

I think cotton was posting in another thread at the same time and didn’t realize this was the Big Game club. So looks like I’ll be sending $108 to pbl, Steve Young is out of most of the parts in the kit.

Yeah. What was was trying to say didn't come out right.

1 week later
#1994 10 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

All you need is one kit for one machine. Unless you are talking Big Game or Seawitch. Then you need 2 kits. At 54.00 per kit.
https://www.pinballlife.com/classic-stern-flipper-rebuild-kit-left-and-right-flippers.html
[quoted image]
For another 10 dollars you can buy the complete assembly which includes a coil and the flipper base. And don't ask me, but somehow flipper coils just start fluttering and die.
To buy a coil by itself is $17.00.
https://www.pinballlife.com/full-flipper-assembly-for-classic-stern-machines-031980-to-021982.html
[quoted image]

The Eos switch on the upper flippers is different that the one in the pbl kit. Does anyone have the part number for the upper flipper Eos switches? They are double stacked.

#1995 10 months ago
Quoted from sullivcd40:

The Eos switch on the upper flippers is different that the one in the pbl kit. Does anyone have the part number for the upper flipper Eos switches? They are double stacked.

The best thing to do with this is to disassemble your existing stack and the new switches, and swap the blades over. That way your spacing and lifters are correct.

You can also wire them up to use a single EOS and just parallel it. The original purpose of that double stack is to let the double stack flipper activate first, then activate the next flipper to reduce stress on the bridge rectifiers. Since most people now have 35amp bridges on their rectifier boards vs. the original 8amp ones, not as needed. Also Stern games specifically spec out larger fuses on the solenoid circuit to handle the extra flippers, and I feel response time is better with parallel wiring.

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/images/9/97/Stern-parts-catalog-1981.pdf

See page 29 for the flipper parts which does show the secondary switch if you still want the original part numbers. I find swapping the blades over easier than trying to source the 'correct' parts (which are just someone somewhere's attempt to duplicate the original stuff.) At this point I usually just make my own using parts from pinball resource when I need new switches, yeah, it doesn't look 'original' - but it works great and is much cheaper than buying something already made up.

#1996 10 months ago
Quoted from slochar:

The best thing to do with this is to disassemble your existing stack and the new switches, and swap the blades over. That way your spacing and lifters are correct.
You can also wire them up to use a single EOS and just parallel it. The original purpose of that double stack is to let the double stack flipper activate first, then activate the next flipper to reduce stress on the bridge rectifiers. Since most people now have 35amp bridges on their rectifier boards vs. the original 8amp ones, not as needed. Also Stern games specifically spec out larger fuses on the solenoid circuit to handle the extra flippers, and I feel response time is better with parallel wiring.
https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/images/9/97/Stern-parts-catalog-1981.pdf
See page 29 for the flipper parts which does show the secondary switch if you still want the original part numbers. I find swapping the blades over easier than trying to source the 'correct' parts (which are just someone somewhere's attempt to duplicate the original stuff.) At this point I usually just make my own using parts from pinball resource when I need new switches, yeah, it doesn't look 'original' - but it works great and is much cheaper than buying something already made up.

That’s a good idea, I can probably rebuild with parts on hand. What is parallel wiring? Here are pictures of mine.

36AF86F7-FA1A-4FC2-874D-5B3B3A2C06B0 (resized).jpeg36AF86F7-FA1A-4FC2-874D-5B3B3A2C06B0 (resized).jpegC85EB027-00BD-41FB-9ACF-F5141823E40C (resized).jpegC85EB027-00BD-41FB-9ACF-F5141823E40C (resized).jpeg
#1997 10 months ago

The solenoid wiring gets paralleled from that flipper with the double stack to the next one down so that the secondary EOS switch (which actually closes at the first flipper's full stroke) is not used to switch the voltage to that lower solenoid. Then you just use one normally closed EOS switch on each flipper in that chain.

It's actually the equivalent of having that secondary normally open switch closed all the time, so you can keep the switch and wiring intact and just jumper that switch closed all the time. This is the way gottlieb did it on their multi flipper games and it works just fine. For multiball games I'd say stick with the staged flipper setup as you can do more flipper tricks, but for single ball games I want the instant response.

#1998 10 months ago

@slochar, from factory are the primary flippers on Big Game wired to the upper flippers with the secondary being the lower flippers per @sullivcd40's pictures?

#1999 10 months ago
Quoted from Quench:

slochar, from factory are the primary flippers on Big Game wired to the upper flippers with the secondary being the lower flippers per sullivcd40's pictures?

I've owned 3 and they all had upper as main/primary and lower as secondary

#2000 10 months ago

Yep. That is way staging is weird.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 33.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 3.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Boston, MA
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 2,441 posts in this topic. You are on page 40 of 49.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/big-game-club-the-safari-has-started/page/40 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.