IMG_1096 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1094 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1093 (resized).jpeg
51CwcKhRSvL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_ (resized).jpg
IMG_1084 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1082 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1083 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 2,441 posts in this topic. You are on page 38 of 49.
#1851 1 year ago

For any of y'all doing playfield swaps and want nice new rails for your new playfield, I sent my old set to ibis https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-rails-reproduction-rails

#1852 1 year ago
Quoted from FantasticPinball:

First (sample) one complete. Waiting for the printer to be available to print the first batch. Expect 20 by mid April and then 20 per month after that.
[quoted image]

Hopefully I’m #1 on the list!

#1853 1 year ago
Quoted from Quench:

You've got the ribbon cables plugged into the sound board in the wrong halves. Pin 1 goes to pin 1, pin 17 to pin 17, etc.
[quoted image]

Switched the sound board cables. It now boots. All displays not working and all coils not work(except flippers,they work).
On first time turning on a puff a smoke came from solenoid board. Need to check fuses next. Thanks for the help with the sound cables.

#1854 1 year ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

For any of y'all doing playfield swaps and want nice new rails for your new playfield, I sent my old set to ibis https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-rails-reproduction-rails

me +1

Quoted from chuckwurt:

Hopefully I’m #1 on the list!

wait... I thought i was?

#1855 1 year ago

Thankfully I painted/cleared my OG PF to where I'm happy... can't go thru another PF swap!

#1856 1 year ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Thankfully I painted/cleared my OG PF to where I'm happy... can't go thru another PF swap!

This will be my first. Pray for me.

#1857 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

This will be my first. Pray for me.

First one I wasn't burned out and it was fun single level not bad...that Flash Gordon really put my over the edge

#1858 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Big Game is getting all of this attention. Those of you who spend some time in front your Big Game can probably relate to this.
It has been a great game in this session. You are on Ball 2 but more than likely on Ball 3. The outlanes have been friendly to you. You have the house lights turned down. And you have 26 of the 27 bingo card lights lit up making the play field shine bright. You also have 4 of the 5 pink lights on the play field lit up. You are playing along and the ball is moving fast. All your concentration is on the play field.
And Bingo ! You get that last light lit up. It all happens in the blink of your eyes. With # 27 light lit, the 5th pink light lights up and all 27 bingo card lights go out and the play field goes dark and those 5 pink lights shine brightly in the new dark contrast. This action never fails to thrill me ( I am easily amused ). Then this action is capped off when the ball drains and the bingo card lights start doing their bonus countdown. For me, this few seconds of action is my dopamine rush.
I know this probably sounds goofball but does anybody else get off on this action with their Big Game?
[quoted image]

Well described cotton. Very well described.
It is a RUSH for SURE! In fact, I would say it is THE best bonus countdown
of any machine from the early ss era, perhaps even all-time!
The speed and increasingly high pitch are wild!
Lets you know you're alive, if 'ya know what I mean.

#1859 1 year ago

Can someone post a picture of how the ribbon cables are oriented between the sound board and the MPU? I cannot remember how they go, but I think two pins on the mpu are unused and cannot remember which ones.

#1860 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Can someone post a picture of how the ribbon cables are oriented between the sound board and the MPU? I cannot remember how they go, but I think two pins on the mpu are unused and cannot remember which ones.

I can but they are numbered I believe

20230402_154059.jpg20230402_154059.jpg
#1861 1 year ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I can but they are numbered I believe[quoted image]

The pins justify to the right. Leaving you with 2 open pins on the left.

#1863 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Got it. Thanks!

There should be one pin that has been cut off and then a corresponding key blocker on the left cable. You don't need it, but....

4 weeks later
#1864 11 months ago

What do you guys think happened here? Only GI was working when I took the transformer out and found the melted insulation.

20230501_130200 (resized).jpg20230501_130200 (resized).jpg20230501_130207 (resized).jpg20230501_130207 (resized).jpg20230501_130218 (resized).jpg20230501_130218 (resized).jpg20230501_131520 (resized).jpg20230501_131520 (resized).jpg
#1866 11 months ago

Well that's a weird one. Yep, I ordered a rectifier board kit from barakandl last night and got my tracking number at 7 this morning! Is there a good place to order these connectors from? They are a little different than on any of my other games, this is my first Stern Electronics. I'm impressed with the build quality, very very sturdy I would say. The playfield feels like it's about 50 pounds heavier than my even wider Paragon. I really like the plywood and hinge used in the backbox light panel as well and the lamp sockets seem top notch. I'm excited to get this one dialed in, I think it will be in my collection for a very long time.

#1867 11 months ago
Quoted from sullivcd40:

... my first Stern Electronics. I'm impressed with the build quality.

You shouldn't be notoriously cheap down at Stern. But we love'm anyway.

For the board those are .156 molex connectors. https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/categories.asp?cat=37

The other molex I'm not too sure

#1868 11 months ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Hahaha, nothing changes dude.

#1869 11 months ago

Rectifier board is all .156 connectors and headers and pins.

#1870 11 months ago

Sorry good call 156.

Other boards are 100

Fixed.

#1871 11 months ago

I've got some green goop on some of my connectors too... I was happily ignoring it, but is the sight of it a clear indicator you should re-pin connectors?

#1872 11 months ago
Quoted from roar:

I've got some green goop on some of my connectors too... I was happily ignoring it, but is the sight of it a clear indicator you should re-pin connectors?

It's the insulation in the wire breaking down you have to cut back far enough where it's not coating the wires.

#1873 11 months ago
Quoted from slochar:

It's the insulation in the wire breaking down you have to cut back far enough where it's not coating the wires.

Right, but if you see green goop should you fix it? It doesn't seem to be hurting anyone . The above post and the burnt connectors seem unrelated to me from the green goop issue. I'll just leave my green goop alone and deal with it if I do playfield swap, but if it is going to cause problems with the rectifier board or other board related issues I should probably look at doing something sooner than later.

#1874 11 months ago

I have had good success with using 90% alcohol to get the green goo cleaned off connectors so I dont have to replace the housing.

#1875 11 months ago

You'll have to scrape it off the wire strands when you put a new connector on. It's a pita to deal with. You can sometimes see it on each wire strand.

It's better than alkaline damage creeping up the wire at least.

#1876 11 months ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

For the board those are .156 molex connectors. https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/categories.asp?cat=37
The other molex I'm not too sure

Is Great Plains back in business?

#1877 11 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Is Great Plains back in business?

They are just selling what they have left. When it’s gone it’s gone.

#1878 11 months ago

Shoot I'm forgetting what game it was now but I had a wire so goo'ed up that I just pulled it completely out of the harness and replaced it. It was supposed to be like white/blue but it was green/goo all the way through! Don't know if it would've worked because I replaced it during resto.

1 week later
#1879 11 months ago

Did anyone level their bingo card inserts? I would love to get mine perfectly flat but I'm a bit nervous to try the polycrylic drip and sand method.

#1880 11 months ago
Quoted from sullivcd40:

Did anyone level their bingo card inserts? I would love to get mine perfectly flat but I'm a bit nervous to try the polycrylic drip and sand method.

Are the inserts cupped? Or just not laying flat? If they are cupped then you will have have to fill them and sand them.

If they are just not lying flat then remove them and reset them with epoxy. Or you might try placing a piece of 2 x 4 wood and tap with a hammer to drive them down.

Or get a play field protecter from pinsider Beehive Pinball. I made my own protector before I restored my BG play field. With one of these on it will play great.

https://www.beehivepinball.com/product/pinball-playshield-protector

#1881 11 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Are the inserts cupped? Or just not laying flat? If they are cupped then you will have have to fill them and sand them.
If they are just not lying flat then remove them and reset them with epoxy. Or you might try placing a piece of 2 x 4 wood and tap with a hammer to drive them down.
Or get a play field protecter from pinsider Beehive Pinball. I made my own protector before I restored my BG play field. With one of these on it will play great.
https://www.beehivepinball.com/product/pinball-playshield-protector

I thought they were cupped but they are actually just not flat. I'll try removal and reset, that would be way easier than fill and sand I would think. These sturdy old sterns, they must have used thicker inserts than williams and bally!

#1882 11 months ago
Quoted from sullivcd40:

I thought they were cupped but they are actually just not flat. I'll try removal and reset, that would be way easier than fill and sand I would think. These sturdy old sterns, they must have used thicker inserts than williams and bally!

I can assure you Stern spared no extra expenses on anything

#1883 11 months ago
Quoted from sullivcd40:

Dream on

An industrial heat gun and and just a little bit of heat, just a little bit and a 3/8" socket will usually break the bond with the 40 year old glue.

Make sure you apply the glue inside the insert hole and then push the insert back in. If you paint the glue on the insert you will have a mess of squeeze out to clean up.

#1884 11 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Dream on
An industrial heat gun and and just a little bit of heat, just a little bit and a 3/8" socket will usually break the bond with the 40 year old glue.
Make sure you apply the glue inside the insert hole and then push the insert back in. If you paint the glue on the insert you will have a mess of squeeze out to clean up.

Thanks for this tip. So I should be aiming to loosen the bond and then level the insert rather than completely removing, correct? Also, what type of epoxy do you use?

#1885 11 months ago
Quoted from sullivcd40:

So I should be aiming to loosen the bond and then level the insert rather than completely removing, correct

Start with something easy. Try tapping them down with a hammer and a chunk of 2 x 4. And if it was me, I would get the play field protector, be done, and play the hell out of it.

#1886 11 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Start with something easy. Try tapping them down with a hammer and a chunk of 2 x 4. And if it was me, I would get the play field protector, be done, and play the hell out of it.

They aren't raised, they are kinda sunken on one side. Maybe I can tap them from underneath with a socket and hammer and go from there. I got turned off from playfield protectors at an arcade down in Georgia I went to. They must not have installed them correctly because there was a bunch of garbage trapped underneath that made the best artwork in pinball (Paragon) almost unrecognizable. I wrote them off after that.

#1887 11 months ago
Quoted from sullivcd40:

They aren't raised, they are kinda sunken on one side. Maybe I can tap them from underneath with a socket and hammer and go from there. I got turned off from playfield protectors at an arcade down in Georgia I went to. They must not have installed them correctly because there was a bunch of garbage trapped underneath that made the best artwork in pinball (Paragon) almost unrecognizable. I wrote them off after that.

Maybe a PF protector wont bubble around a bunch of sunken inserts...but I wouldn't try so no thanks. I'd rather (and have) can cleared instead of a pinball condom.

Yeah use a socket or nut driver the same size as the insert and lightly tap....heat if needed. Hair dryer...heat gun too beaucoup.

#1888 11 months ago
Quoted from sullivcd40:

They aren't raised, they are kinda sunken on one side. Maybe I can tap them from underneath with a socket and hammer and go from there.

OK. So yours are sunken. In that case you need to remove them and reglue them otherwise they will just sink again.

Quoted from sullivcd40:

I got turned off from playfield protectors at an arcade down in Georgia I went to. They must not have installed them correctly because there was a bunch of garbage trapped underneath

To each their own. I get that. Get ready for a cliche: Don't throw out the baby with the bath water.

This shop might not have installed a protector correctly. The play field needs to be squeaky clean before a protector gets laid down. It is best to remove as many posts and other play field paraphernalia as you can, then sweep the play field with a cheap paintbrush, hit it with a can of compressed air, and a vacuum cleaner.

The edges of the protector also need to be inspected to make sure there is no shavings still attached along the edges as they will start coming off during game play and get under the protector.

Protectors will expand from the heat of the inserts lights. The slightest contact with the protector against a post or ball guide wire will cause the protector to bubble up during game play and give it a squishy feel. All it takes is the slightest bit of contact at just one point somewhere on the play field.

And while a protector will smooth over cupped or sunken inserts and give you a play field surface smooth as glass, the slightest, smallest piece of trash will make it feel like the protector has a zit that needs squeezed.

Here are my bingo cards. The "Z" was sunken---deep. The protector made all of that sunken inserts go away and the pin played great, but it was ugly with all of the of the hairline cracks in the clear Stern put on. I got tired of looking at ugly and sent the play field to the restore guy to make it look pretty.

Z Card (resized).JPGZ Card (resized).JPG
Y card (resized).JPGY card (resized).JPG
X Card (resized).JPGX Card (resized).JPG

This is my Catacomb. It suffers from cupped inserts. I made a protector for it 5-6 years ago. And I took some shortcuts with the cleaning procedure and got some garbage underneath. Game play was not affected but I finally got tired of seeing the trash and stripped the play field for a proper cleaning a couple of years ago. It is still clean underneath. It is not a perfect play field but it is too nice to go with the expense of giving it a clear coat. As long as I own this pin it will have a protector. And for anybody who thinks protectors make a pin play slower, come play my Catacomb; It is a speed demon.

IMG_3120 (resized).jpgIMG_3120 (resized).jpg
IMG_3119 (resized).jpgIMG_3119 (resized).jpg
IMG_3118 (resized).jpgIMG_3118 (resized).jpg

I'm not telling you what to do, but for myself, I would do a complete top side strip/shop job, clean the play field with some Novus and install a protector.

For the record, I have made play field protectors for 5 pins. And if another pin comes around that needs this kind of action I will make another protector.

#1889 11 months ago

Man, you have some rare birds in your collection cotton, very cool. What about mylaring just the bingo sections? The rest of my inserts are flat as a board.

#1890 11 months ago
Quoted from sullivcd40:

Man, you have some rare birds in your collection cotton, very cool. What about mylaring just the bingo sections? The rest of my inserts are flat as a board.

I did that with some super thin mylar about 20 years ago that Pinball Pal used to sell way back when. Not at home so can’t post pics but it works like a champ. Feels like a regular playfield and no impact on ball trajectory at the edges. Looks okay, you get used to it. Balls generally going too fast to worry about that anyway lol. Not sure if you can still find that, but worth looking for in my opinion.

#1891 11 months ago
Quoted from sullivcd40:

Mylar? I loath those little half-circles that are placed in front of the sling shots. I could not give you an objective answer.

Thanks for the compliments. The collection was built out of ignorance of all the cool old pins to buy. Big Game was my first and I started learning about the other classic Sterns on pinside and began my chase. One of the cool things about these 18 MPU-200 classic Sterns is that no two of them are alike.

EDIT: I seem to recall Ron Kruzman saying at one time that he has some low-tack mylar. You might contact him and see if he has some to sell. If it is low-tack then you could "supposedly" remove it without lifting all your play field along with it.

But if you are absolutely against a protector, then just drive out the inserts and reset them with some epoxy.

#1893 11 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

EDIT: I seem to recall Ron Kruzman saying at one time that he has some low-tack mylar. You might contact him and see if he has some to sell. If it is low-tack then you could "supposedly" remove it without lifting all your play field along with it.

That might be the same stuff I was talking about. It was also billed as being removable, though I’ve never tried to remove it.

#1894 11 months ago

I installed a new rectifier board and repinned those connectors, all power tests good. I turned the game on, the led on the mpu board flashed and then didn’t come on and a weird humming noise came from the machine. I then reseated sound board connectors and turned the game back on. The mpu led stayed lit this time and a weird static noise came from the machine. The displays flickered both times and the GI came on and stayed on. I should be looking at the sound board now probably right?

#1895 11 months ago

I disconnected the sound board and got 7 mpu flashes and the game went into a sort of dull attract mode. Making progress.

#1896 11 months ago

I repinned J3 on the sound board and plugged everything back in and only got GI. I unplugged J2 and got 7 mpu flashes, attract mode in non GI lamps, and displays cycling as if in test. Not sure what to make of that. I will re pin J2 next but it has two wires together at both pins, I’ve never done any like that.

#1897 11 months ago

My playfield is about ready for some love .Touch up and auto clear.

2A7339AE-5138-47E6-91C8-2739E43164C8 (resized).jpeg2A7339AE-5138-47E6-91C8-2739E43164C8 (resized).jpeg4152D8FF-C43E-4202-B9F1-A3FF1C5DB11C (resized).jpeg4152D8FF-C43E-4202-B9F1-A3FF1C5DB11C (resized).jpeg7FF0A65B-DB84-4E50-8400-1C3D59350449 (resized).jpeg7FF0A65B-DB84-4E50-8400-1C3D59350449 (resized).jpeg907E2788-6B3B-4E84-98A7-4ED0B4F8FA85 (resized).jpeg907E2788-6B3B-4E84-98A7-4ED0B4F8FA85 (resized).jpeg
#1898 11 months ago
Quoted from tatman9999:

My playfield is about ready for some love .Touch up and auto clear.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Yours isn't too bad, I'm holding for a reproduction.

#1899 11 months ago

Cleaned it up. Got the mylar and glue off.

31412CE4-F367-4E8B-A5CE-74503541F39E (resized).jpeg31412CE4-F367-4E8B-A5CE-74503541F39E (resized).jpeg7284059B-E69E-4E90-867D-286B01963CC9 (resized).jpeg7284059B-E69E-4E90-867D-286B01963CC9 (resized).jpegB9C946A2-E27F-4B43-A353-DC4B2C27EEE4 (resized).jpegB9C946A2-E27F-4B43-A353-DC4B2C27EEE4 (resized).jpegCA8D1388-DC98-494B-A0DF-15FCF44BE103 (resized).jpegCA8D1388-DC98-494B-A0DF-15FCF44BE103 (resized).jpegEC7654A6-40EC-458C-A184-73F2163262F4 (resized).jpegEC7654A6-40EC-458C-A184-73F2163262F4 (resized).jpegF526E9F4-ED66-4705-813D-287C1449DADF (resized).jpegF526E9F4-ED66-4705-813D-287C1449DADF (resized).jpeg
#1900 11 months ago
Quoted from tatman9999:

Cleaned it up. Got the mylar and glue off.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

How did you get the glue off? I removed some off a sys 11 and swore I would never do it again.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu

$ 69.00
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 3.00
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 33.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Boston, MA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 2,441 posts in this topic. You are on page 38 of 49.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/big-game-club-the-safari-has-started/page/38 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.