IMG_1096 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1094 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1093 (resized).jpeg
51CwcKhRSvL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_ (resized).jpg
IMG_1084 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1082 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1083 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 2,441 posts in this topic. You are on page 31 of 49.
#1501 2 years ago

Paging slochar . I think I found some bugs in your code.

https://clips.twitch.tv/IncredulousTriangularPelicanDancingBaby-pbASEEY_GbwO0kM1

In this long game I had I noticed a few weird things:

I have the game set to collect 100k for special. I don’t think I got 100k for collecting either special.

14:20 for the outlane special not recording the points.

19:40 for the lane behind GA not giving me 100k.

At the end of ball 1, I had 3x bonus. I think my bonus was collected more than 3 times.

12:40 to see me getting 5x bonus it seems. But is that part of the rules now? Maybe it is. Sorry forgot.

#1502 2 years ago

Yes 5x is in the rules now. I forget if it's selectable though. I thought I made most of the options that way.
I'll watch the video tomorrow and see what happens with the special.

update, 5x is permanent, no dip for that one. There's a dearth of dips available for mods I watched the very short clip you posted and then went into the main stream and at 14:20, the outlane special doesn't look lit nor does it look like you had enough of the cards completed for it to be so.

the 20:00 mark post doesn't even have you at the machine. If you can correct time stamps on either please update. I looked at the coding for the special payouts and it's not something I actually touched.

#1503 2 years ago

Just tested it and it's paying the 100k. Try with glass off. Make sure your dips are working as well - I've had boards where the dips just didn't do anything because they were either shorted or damaged inside.

Makes me want to implement the dip switch test I wrote for something a long time ago but the lack of 8 digits displays stopped me.

#1504 2 years ago

Could it be possible that it only occurs during high scoring games? I’ve definitely got the 100k payout in previous games, just not this one.

#1505 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Could it be possible that it only occurs during high scoring games? I’ve definitely got the 100k payout in previous games, just not this one.

It will tag into the dips that control the special limits for sure. If you have set to 1/ball or 1/game for instance. I don't think you can eliminate that though, it's a hard limit on the dips. No dips left to change that.

I didn't see the special lit at the 14:20 drain though was it somewhere else?

Also if this is relevant - the special score gets adds to the score queue, NOT scored immediately, so if there's lots of 'other' stuff happening when you hit the special, it will delay until the score queues get serviced.

There's nothing in the special code that cuts out on high scoring games. (or anywhere else....)

#1506 2 years ago

Okay. I’ll look again. Thanks.

1 week later
#1507 2 years ago

Just became part of the club very fun game. Looking for a part that is missing on mine and was wondering if any one has a parts playfield with the ball guides behind the flippers mine are missing. The part number from the book is A-655 which is located at W1. I am sure many years ago the operator took them off for more profit. Thanks will post some pics soon.

#1508 2 years ago
Quoted from Kawasakiltd:

Just became part of the club very fun game. Looking for a part that is missing on mine and was wondering if any one has a parts playfield with the ball guides behind the flippers mine are missing. The part number from the book is A-655 which is located at W1. I am sure many years ago the operator took them off for more profit. Thanks will post some pics soon.

I might have some that need repair. I bought some new ones from a guy on pinside who makes them.

#1509 2 years ago
Quoted from Kawasakiltd:

djblouw made some for us. I’d contact them.

#1510 2 years ago

Does anyone know the correct EOS switches for BG? I ordered from Pinball life and the ones they sent are too short?

#1511 2 years ago
Quoted from bridgeman:

Does anyone know the correct EOS switches for BG? I ordered from Pinball life and the ones they sent are too short?

I use these.

https://www.pinballlife.com/williamsbally-end-of-stroke-switch-normally-closed.html

1 month later
#1513 2 years ago

well it seems I'm back in the club once again lol. sucks new pfs r up in the air though. rip

#1514 2 years ago

If anyone is reading this at the big remakers, Big Game is one I would throw down on a replacement playfield in a second on.

#1515 2 years ago

Feel free to try and convince one of them, but both have declined multiple times when I’ve asked them.

#1516 2 years ago
Quoted from statictrance:

If anyone is reading this at the big remakers, Big Game is one I would throw down on a replacement playfield in a second on.

I’m a buyer also!

#1517 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Feel free to try and convince one of them, but both have declined multiple times when I’ve asked them.

I got the feeling that greatwich was still going to proceed with BG as it didn't violate the agreement he agreed to.

2 weeks later
#1519 2 years ago

Just had a bad ass thing happen on the new code.

Put the ball behind the GA targets to light all the cards for a few seconds. Before it tuned out, I backhanded the 4-6 targets and swept them to light them all on all three cards and light the red bonus light in front of the bank.

Doubt I ever do that again!!

#1520 2 years ago

probably the nicest original back glass I've come across so far

20210817_144313 (resized).jpg20210817_144313 (resized).jpg20210817_144331 (resized).jpg20210817_144331 (resized).jpg
#1521 2 years ago

Holy shit!! Great find.

#1522 2 years ago
Quoted from GoldenOreos:

[quoted image][quoted image]

"probably?"

#1523 2 years ago
Quoted from GoldenOreos:

[quoted image][quoted image]

dude, where did you find this? was that the one on the project you rounded up?

#1524 2 years ago

I certainly understand the demand for reproductions,
but I would much rather have a near perfect original.
Has to do with admiring the fact that it has survived
all this time AND has done so nearly unscathed.
GoldenOreos, you definitely have THE nicest one I have
ever seen-no probably.

#1525 2 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

dude, where did you find this? was that the one on the project you rounded up?

yea man, pretty crazy

lol

#1526 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Just had a bad ass thing happen on the new code.
Put the ball behind the GA targets to light all the cards for a few seconds. Before it tuned out, I backhanded the 4-6 targets and swept them to light them all on all three cards and light the red bonus light in front of the bank.
Doubt I ever do that again!!

I have been busy and have missed this.

Is this something new from Slochar? It sounds like a cool code update.

#1527 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I have been busy and have missed this.

Same code he finished over a year ago.

#1528 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Still Big Game v07 or v08 (minor correction on v08 on the way the spinner times out when you drain re: the display)

You might not have the dips turned on to activate the extra features. Basically it's all the rules that chuckwurt suggested.... with your suggestion of spinner counters added.

http://tsqmadness.com/slochar/ZIP/BIGGAME-V8.zip

and

https://sites.google.com/site/allentownpinball/galaxy-asm/BIGGAME-V8.zip?attredirects=0&d=1 (second link will be going away when google sites forces update, no zips/files like that there)

#1529 2 years ago

i will need to burn that code for the arcade here. I was talking to neo about possibly restoring my playfield, but man its kinda expensive. would be real coooool if new playfields were confirmed and not just a mystery right now.

1 month later
#1530 2 years ago

Just picked this up from a restoration and clearcoat job by Keith Holbrook (Total Pinball Restorations). Can’t wait to get her back together!

1A3AEC5F-91B1-4392-9FA1-FA2DD041B8DC.jpeg1A3AEC5F-91B1-4392-9FA1-FA2DD041B8DC.jpeg8BAA5C14-ECCD-4456-8426-8C2BFA0163CD.jpeg8BAA5C14-ECCD-4456-8426-8C2BFA0163CD.jpegFE004CF4-3F2C-461A-B000-0CAA7D760988.jpegFE004CF4-3F2C-461A-B000-0CAA7D760988.jpeg
#1531 2 years ago

looks nice!

#1532 2 years ago

Beauty!
Better than brand new.

#1533 2 years ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

Just picked this up from a restoration and clearcoat job by Keith Holbrook (Total Pinball Restorations). Can’t wait to get her back together!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Keith rocks, he has done some games for me before

#1534 2 years ago

He did a super job.

#1535 2 years ago

when i see this I'm dreaming of the day someone like CPR offers up fresh tables like this for sale ,thanks for sharing

#1536 2 years ago

I got tired of fighting with the three lamp card boards in my Big Game. Circuit boards and the LEDs are also pretty inexpensive so I decided to have some new LED boards made.

20210915_153102 (resized).jpg20210915_153102 (resized).jpg20210915_153118 (resized).jpg20210915_153118 (resized).jpg20210830_173656 (resized).jpg20210830_173656 (resized).jpg

Set of 3 boards is $25 + $4.5 shipped ins the USA.
LED is a 2835 warm white (~3000K) wide viewing angle.

There are load resistors on the lamp boards. Install the solder jumpers for original, not LED capable lamp driver board. Leave the solder jumpers out for LED capable lamp driver board.

Installation.

On the bench before working on the game add a small puddle to every wire landing pad that is going to be used. You will likely only use 'BUS V OPTION' #3 or #4.

It is going to be a lot easier to install with the playfield out of the game and upside down. I slid the game out. Unplugged a few cables and sat the PF on saw horses.

Unscrew the first lamp card you want to work on. Fold it over out of the way. Screw down the new lamp board in place. (1A to upper left number; IE 1A to top left card #1)

Move wires from old lamp board to the new lamp board one at a time so you don't get mixed up. Cut the wire off the old board. Strip the insulation. Tin the wire with new solder. Heat up the solder pad on the new board and the wire lead. Once melted place on the pad. Repeat

#1537 2 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

I got tired of fighting with the three lamp card boards in my Big Game. Circuit boards and the LEDs are also pretty inexpensive so I decided to have some new LED boards made.
There are load resistors on the lamp boards. Install the solder jumpers for original, not LED capable lamp driver board. Leave the solder jumpers out for LED capable lamp driver board.
Installation.
On the bench before working on the game add a small puddle to every wire landing pad that is going to be used. You will likely only use 'BUS V OPTION' #3 or #4.
It is going to be a lot easier to install with the playfield out of the game and upside down. I slid the game out. Unplugged a few cables and sat the PF on saw horses.
Unscrew the first lamp card you want to work on. Fold it over out of the way. Screw down the new lamp board in place. (1A to upper left number; IE 1A to top left card #1)
Move wires from old lamp board to the new lamp board one at a time so you don't get mixed up. Cut the wire off the old board. Strip the insulation. Tin the wire with new solder. Heat up the solder pad on the new board and the wire lead. Once melted place on the pad. Repeat

I already have that other brand for my Big Game lights. Any chance these could be made for Quicksilver, Star Gazer, and Dragonfist?

#1538 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I already have that other brand for my Big Game lights. Any chance these could be made for Quicksilver, Star Gazer, and Dragonfist?

I saw the other ones but honestly with just the cost of my time I could put the LED beads directly on the PCB and save myself $. The cost of a 2835 LED bead is like one cent vs the cost of a pinball 555 led lamp to put into a twisty socket is 30x - 100x more. I even got a few extra sets.

I probably could do other games, but I would want the playfield / lamp card in front of me. Getting the lens spacing right, mounting holes right, is there bare wires in the way, etc, is a bit more tedious then one might imagine. If I don't own the game myself it might not be worth my effort to make them just to sell 10 sets or whatever. Main motivator with big game was I got frustrated with my own game repeatedly fixing the original rusty ones.

#1539 2 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Installation.

Damn, I like these but already have the other upgraded boards. I do like these better, so might have to do another swap.

#1540 2 years ago

Nice work Andrew! Much better than worrying about the twist in sockets.

#1541 2 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Installation.

you kept an option to install male pin and have those wire on a connector? looks like you would just need some spaces so the board isn't flush against the PF. Any pro/cons compare to your install in the pictures?

#1542 2 years ago

the boards you made look very sharp and clean , the aging original old style bayonets was incredibility maddening a great motivator for some innovation i think .
again nice work on the board upgrade

#1543 2 years ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

you kept an option to install male pin and have those wire on a connector? looks like you would just need some spaces so the board isn't flush against the PF. Any pro/cons compare to your install in the pictures?

I put a 0.100" header on but its not practical to use it.

Board sits flush against the playfield. I put the resistors in tight with the LED bead so it all fits in the cavity drilled out for the lamp lens. I don't see any problems with that. No bare wires or anything to short against going under the lamp cards.

#1544 2 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

I put a 0.100" header on but its not practical to use it.
Board sits flush against the playfield. I put the resistors in tight with the LED bead so it all fits in the cavity drilled out for the lamp lens. I don't see any problems with that. No bare wires or anything to short against going under the lamp cards.

Do the LEDs produce any heat? If so, will heat be trapped between the insert and your board? does it need to be mounted on a .020" washer for airflow?

4 weeks later
#1545 2 years ago

Hi guys!
Im looking for a spinner or spinner decals for my big game... any leads besides pinball center?
Thx!

#1546 2 years ago

I have a decent Big Game playfield if someone could use it. I was going to send it off and have it restored by Keith Holbrook but changed my mind.

#1547 2 years ago

Details of Scott’s modded roms. slochar

Changes from stock roms:

1)
Left and right spinner counts will 'blit' to ball
in play display. The left spinner has priority in
the case of both spinning at once. The high spin
count is not saved in any way due to nvram memory
limitations. The ball in play will return to the
display after a short interval.

2)
The extra ball blinking control normally switches
to a solid lamp on the next ball if not collected.

This now will blink on the next ball instead.

3)
The attract mode 7 digit countup has been sped up
slightly and the player score display will show
for a much longer period of time to make recording
of scores easier in a tournament situation.

4)
Tilting no longer removes earned extra balls.

5)
No more 'tilt test' in attract mode. (Previously
tilt would 'work' during attract mode)

6)
Built-in switch test will display ALL closed
switches, not just the lowest numbered one, to assist
in finding switch matrix issues. All closed switches
will show one at a time and each run through will end
with a zero flashing in the ball in play display to
indicate that the entire switch matrix has been scanned.

7)
On ball launch the drop banks are polled to see if
any targets are down and if none are, that drop reset
is skipped.

Changes related to DIP switches:

Background sound dip #8 changed to match manual.

Dip 8 on=background sound on
Dip 8 off=background sound off

Max credits always 99. Dips 18 and 19 repurposed.

Dip 19 is now freeplay on/off.

Dip 18 now controls a temporary lighting of all
3 cards when you roll over the lane behind the GA
standup targets. After a short time, the lit cards
will return to their previous state.

Dip 24, previously unused

On=Automatically change lit bingo cards per pattern
set by Dip 23 after a short time interval. Change
cards on playfield will still change the cards.
Off=No change from stock.

Dips 25/26 for max lines function changed.

On 5 ball play, manual description matches mod, you can
select balls 2,3,4, or 5 for the 5k/line bonus.

On 3 ball play, set dips the same way as for 5 ball
but subtract one, so you can set 5k/line bonus
on balls 1, 2, or 3. (i.e. set to '2' to get '1'
on 3 ball play)

Dips 15-16 HSTD credits now repurposed.

HSTD: 3 replays will be awarded if dip switch #6 is
set to ON. (Replays awarded at score levels). Dip 6
Off=novelty mode (HSTD still recorded, but no replays)

Dip 16 is now a bonus multiplier setting up to 5x.
Off=operate as stock, max bonus multiplier is 3x.
On=Allow 5x multiplier if Big Game completed at least
once and 3x criteria met. Indicated by both 2x and
3x being lit.

Dip 15 is now a bonus removal setting.

On=Remove all bonus ball to ball
Off=Leave bonus ball to ball (stock)

Dip 14, previously unused

On=Remove reserve bonus on next ball, if lit
Off=Reserve bonus carries ball to ball (stock)

#1548 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Details of Scott’s modded roms. slochar
Changes from stock roms:
1)
Left and right spinner counts will 'blit' to ball
in play display. The left spinner has priority in
the case of both spinning at once. The high spin
count is not saved in any way due to nvram memory
limitations. The ball in play will return to the
display after a short interval.
2)
The extra ball blinking control normally switches
to a solid lamp on the next ball if not collected.
This now will blink on the next ball instead.
3)
The attract mode 7 digit countup has been sped up
slightly and the player score display will show
for a much longer period of time to make recording
of scores easier in a tournament situation.
4)
Tilting no longer removes earned extra balls.
5)
No more 'tilt test' in attract mode. (Previously
tilt would 'work' during attract mode)
6)
Built-in switch test will display ALL closed
switches, not just the lowest numbered one, to assist
in finding switch matrix issues. All closed switches
will show one at a time and each run through will end
with a zero flashing in the ball in play display to
indicate that the entire switch matrix has been scanned.
7)
On ball launch the drop banks are polled to see if
any targets are down and if none are, that drop reset
is skipped.
Changes related to DIP switches:
Background sound dip #8 changed to match manual.
Dip 8 on=background sound on
Dip 8 off=background sound off
Max credits always 99. Dips 18 and 19 repurposed.
Dip 19 is now freeplay on/off.
Dip 18 now controls a temporary lighting of all
3 cards when you roll over the lane behind the GA
standup targets. After a short time, the lit cards
will return to their previous state.
Dip 24, previously unused
On=Automatically change lit bingo cards per pattern
set by Dip 23 after a short time interval. Change
cards on playfield will still change the cards.
Off=No change from stock.
Dips 25/26 for max lines function changed.
On 5 ball play, manual description matches mod, you can
select balls 2,3,4, or 5 for the 5k/line bonus.
On 3 ball play, set dips the same way as for 5 ball
but subtract one, so you can set 5k/line bonus
on balls 1, 2, or 3. (i.e. set to '2' to get '1'
on 3 ball play)
Dips 15-16 HSTD credits now repurposed.
HSTD: 3 replays will be awarded if dip switch #6 is
set to ON. (Replays awarded at score levels). Dip 6
Off=novelty mode (HSTD still recorded, but no replays)
Dip 16 is now a bonus multiplier setting up to 5x.
Off=operate as stock, max bonus multiplier is 3x.
On=Allow 5x multiplier if Big Game completed at least
once and 3x criteria met. Indicated by both 2x and
3x being lit.
Dip 15 is now a bonus removal setting.
On=Remove all bonus ball to ball
Off=Leave bonus ball to ball (stock)
Dip 14, previously unused
On=Remove reserve bonus on next ball, if lit
Off=Reserve bonus carries ball to ball (stock)

Do you have to use an original board or is this built into Andrew's combo rom, at this time?

#1549 2 years ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

Do you have to use an original board or is this built into Andrew's combo rom, at this time?

I think Andrews board takes roms doesn’t it? I’d ask him. Not sure.

#1550 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Do the LEDs produce any heat? If so, will heat be trapped between the insert and your board? does it need to be mounted on a .020" washer for airflow?

No. I am using fairly large size LED bead at a modest current. I did not check, but I don't expect it get much above room temperature. We don't need to abuse the LED at maximum current/brightness to light up those little inserts. That should also greatly extend the life of the LEDs.

The heat on the playfield from #47 incandescent lamps, even with the extra space of the originals, would be way more. New Stern games mounts the lamp boards flush against the playfield now which gave me the idea. Any kind of spacer might also introduce light bleed to neighbors since using a wide angle lens LED bead.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Boston, MA
$ 33.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 3.00
$ 10.00
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 2,441 posts in this topic. You are on page 31 of 49.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/big-game-club-the-safari-has-started/page/31 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.