IMG_1096 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1094 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1093 (resized).jpeg
51CwcKhRSvL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_ (resized).jpg
IMG_1084 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1082 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1083 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 2,441 posts in this topic. You are on page 29 of 49.
#1401 3 years ago

It doesn’t look too bad from the pics.

#1402 3 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

It doesn’t look too bad from the pics.

It is photogenic

#1403 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Pinball Pimp has them.

Every other Classic BUT Big Game!?!

#1404 3 years ago
Quoted from rollitover:

Every other Classic BUT Big Game!?!

maybe it was a UK or European supplier. I’ll look around. But I did see them

#1405 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

maybe it was a UK or European supplier. I’ll look around. But I did see them

yea, seems like i have seen them somewhere as well

#1406 3 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

yea, seems like i have seen them somewhere as well

Hey, do you want me to get you some pics of my original Big Game back glass? It needs some work and would get you by but IMO, BG Resto is the way to go.

I would sell my BG Resto back glass but not interested in giving it away.

#1407 3 years ago

a new playfeild would be amazing

#1408 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Hey, do you want me to get you some pics of my original Big Game back glass? It needs some work and would get you by but IMO, BG Resto is the way to go.
I would sell my BG Resto back glass but not interested in giving it away.

I just did a touch up job on my BG that will get me by until I can order a new from bgresto.

#1409 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Compare mine on the left and the White one on the right. The white in the face is extremely white; Same for the teeth. The eyes are with instead of yellow. The tips of the leaves new white and not yellow. The nose and tongue are white with some shades of pink. The white in the whiskers is also white
I see some cracks in the paint. Would I rather that not be there? Sure. But the glass is still presentable.
I could have bought a pig in a poke, but never having seen one before I decided to take a chance.
Correction: I have seen this white back glass before. It is over at VP Forums in the downloads section for the items that are available for the Big Game downloads. So more correctly, I have not seen this glass, only an artist rendition of this glass.
[quoted image]

I sent a PM to Todd Tuckey asking him if his extensive pinball knowledge could identify what this "white" back glass I bought could be. He has no idea, either.

Perhaps I am making a sweet lemons argument since I spent some cash to buy it, but the look is growing on me.

#1410 3 years ago

I think it’s ugly as hell and just looks like an extremely faded original, but appreciate if it’s a super rare prototype glass. I say just hang it and enjoy it.

#1411 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I think it’s ugly as hell and just looks like an extremely faded original, but appreciate if it’s a super rare prototype glass. I say just hang it and enjoy it.

It is definitely a polarizing opinion maker but it is not a faded original.

I wish it was not a flaky mess but it is what it is. In the end I will probably frame and hang it, as you suggest.

I first saw this white one when I was downloading Big Game onto my visual pinball machine at Vpforums.org. That would have been in 2013-2014 before I bought my real Big Game. So when bluespin linked the sale page, I knew I wanted it for the curious oddity that it is.

Screen Shot 2021-01-21 at 7.31.51 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-01-21 at 7.31.51 AM (resized).png

#1412 3 years ago

If it were some sort of prototype, why would they choose super hot white as the color for it? It doesn't draw more attention to the game, it doesn't save them any money over using the standard red. It just looks like it was displayed in a store window facing the sun all day, every day for years. I wouldn't pay a cent for it, but you like it so that's what matters.

#1413 3 years ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

If it were some sort of prototype, why would they choose super hot white as the color for it?

I wish I knew. Nothing about it makes any sense. I highly doubt that this is the only one that was produced, but can find nothing out about it. But it does not look like an aftermarket reproduction.

Quoted from Agent_Hero:

It doesn't draw more attention to the game, it doesn't save them any money over using the standard red.

Agreed.

As I sit here and say it is the real deal, I keep thinking about that old gal with that painting she thinks was painted by Jackson Pollock.

Screen Shot 2021-01-23 at 12.17.02 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-01-23 at 12.17.02 PM (resized).png

But it frames nicely with the two tiger heads on the cab.

IMG_5443 (resized).JPGIMG_5443 (resized).JPG

#1414 3 years ago

I think more of an old operator or previous owner who took some primer to a glass that had flaked away to being totally bare, but I'm a cynic.

#1415 3 years ago

For being a cynic, I'll raise you.

Here is the backside. It looks like my original BG back glass with the same silk screening. I suppose a mad scientist could have cooked this up in his backyard garage, but it has that factory look.

I'm thinking with the use of my glass bottom scanner on my BG Resto back glass and some waterslide decals that I might be able to improve some of the areas that are badly flaked and clean it up a little bit. All of the black areas can be touched up with some black enamel from the hobby shop. I have already tested white decal material and it will let light shine through. I have to think on it for awhile.

IMG_5447 (resized).JPGIMG_5447 (resized).JPG
IMG_5448 (resized).JPGIMG_5448 (resized).JPG

IMG_5451 (resized).JPGIMG_5451 (resized).JPG

#1416 3 years ago

the 1980's had problems with the red pigments used on anything that was exposed to the sun

the lack of red in the back glass could be from a very long exposure to sun light, the thing that i find interesting is there is a lack of yellows in the leaves as well and could it be that the pigment used for yellow had the same problem

can you see any tell tale yellow in the leaves?

#1417 3 years ago
Quoted from Dragon:

the 1980's had problems with the red pigments used on anything that was exposed to the sun
the lack of red in the back glass could be from a very long exposure to sun light, the thing that i find interesting is there is a lack of yellows in the leaves as well and could it be that the pigment used for yellow had the same problem
can you see any tell tale yellow in the leaves?

I see no red or yellow fade of any kind. All of the leaves that are yellow on the original are white and some of them are a light beige. However, the light beige is also on the original, but the yellow sort of masks the beige where the white does not. One more "however", there are 4 leaves on the bottom under the Big Game that are yellow. One of the leaves fades from green to yellow to white, but it does not look like sun damage.

The nose and tongue are white except where some pink has been printed to add a little depth.

Screen Shot 2021-01-20 at 9.32.29 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-01-20 at 9.32.29 AM (resized).png

#1418 3 years ago

Does anybody, buy any chance, could post a realy good closeup picture of the double spinner
playfield lion? In focus, With out the red main and mini posts?
Regards.

#1419 3 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

Does anybody, buy any chance, could post a realy good closeup picture of the double spinner
Regards.

Does this work?

031D6657-A39A-4419-A0E5-DA339C3F0192 (resized).jpeg031D6657-A39A-4419-A0E5-DA339C3F0192 (resized).jpeg

#1420 3 years ago
Quoted from djblouw:

Does this work?
[quoted image]

That is the tiger spinner. I need the lion on the playfield.

#1421 3 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

Regards.

Is this what you are looking for?

Full size

Screen Shot 2021-01-25 at 7.42.19 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-01-25 at 7.42.19 PM (resized).png

Oversize

Screen Shot 2021-01-25 at 7.43.03 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-01-25 at 7.43.03 PM (resized).png

#1422 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Is this what you are looking for?
Full size
[quoted image]
Oversize
[quoted image]

Yes, that is the one I am working on... Just need some more pictures to
delineate what is and what is not...There are a lot of white dots that should or should not be...
as well as the gold/black/international red art... some of it is clear some of it is not.
The more pictures the better to discern the artwork layers.
regards.

#1423 3 years ago

I think I am going to sell my BG....just not feeling it.

#1425 3 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

I think I am going to sell my BG....just not feeling it.

Should I even ask?

#1426 3 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

That is the tiger spinner. I need the lion on the playfield.

Apparently booze & pinside don't mix

#1427 3 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

Yes, that is the one I am working on... Just need some more pictures to
delineate what is and what is not...There are a lot of white dots that should or should not be...
as well as the gold/black/international red art... some of it is clear some of it is not.
The more pictures the better to discern the artwork layers.
regards.

I scanned my Big Game play field after it was restored. I used one of those Hewlett-Packard glass bottom scanners. It took 20 scan panels to get get the entire play field. Tell me what area of the play field you need pics of.

#1428 3 years ago
Quoted from rollitover:

Should I even ask?

It just isn't clicking for me. I will have to move a few of my classic sterns soon - and when I check off the ones that are staying, Ali and Big Game are the last two......

I'll keep trying though.

#1429 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I scanned my Big Game play field after it was restored. I used one of those Hewlett-Packard glass bottom scanners. It took 20 scan panels to get get the entire play field. Tell me what area of the play field you need pics of.

This is what I was able to kind of clean up...
from your scan cottonm4
I, being anal... was hoping for some pictures from Pinsiders, that have this game, in order
to know what micro dots are supposed to be and what are not to be...
I got some pictures of the playfields, form what I could find... but the images are too far away.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So I kindly ask,
any Pinsider that can take a picture of this area, and post it, would be much appreciated.
Cheers.
On a side note: there is a section above this image that is blurry...
BG lion (resized).pngBG lion (resized).png

#1430 3 years ago
083AF23C-42D6-4B4D-A6EA-A731078D2BEC (resized).jpeg083AF23C-42D6-4B4D-A6EA-A731078D2BEC (resized).jpegEFB23012-5019-47DC-9679-70CC8013F3C2 (resized).jpegEFB23012-5019-47DC-9679-70CC8013F3C2 (resized).jpeg
#1431 3 years ago

if you need a few more pictures
20210126_165812- (resized).jpg20210126_165812- (resized).jpg20210126_165820- (resized).jpg20210126_165820- (resized).jpg20210126_165842- (resized).jpg20210126_165842- (resized).jpg

#1432 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

[quoted image][quoted image]

Thank you @chuckwurt.
&

Quoted from hisokajp:

if you need a few more pictures
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Thank you @hisokajp.
Very much appreciated.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Now I have learned something new about Stern's quality control LOL.
It looks like the screens used on this game, Big Game, at times, would get very muddy.
On Youtube they warn about having the screens to just "kiss" the surface...
I guess Stern's playfield silk screening service provider did not practice this technique.
[ The more you know++++++ ]

#1433 3 years ago

Are you helping John with the art for this for the repro playfields? If so, I’m encouraged by your thoroughness. Haha

#1434 3 years ago

Need help with strange Big Game problem...in the middle of playing a game the right flippers suddenly stopped working; left flippers work fine. Reset machine, no change except sometimes when hitting right flipper button the top thumper triggers, right flippers still dead.

Flipper button switch and EOS switches look ok.

Any thoughts?

#1435 3 years ago
Quoted from grabsomesun:

Need help with strange Big Game problem...in the middle of playing a game the right flippers suddenly stopped working; left flippers work fine. Reset machine, no change except sometimes when hitting right flipper button the top thumper triggers, right flippers still dead.
Flipper button switch and EOS switches look ok.
Any thoughts?

do you have power to the flippers' coil? What if you manually ground the coil do they work? Help to start to know if it is a power to the coil or ground to the coil type of issue.

#1436 3 years ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

do you have power to the flippers' coil? What if you manually ground the coil do they work? Help to start to know if it is a power to the coil or ground to the coil type of issue.

Added, you could manually raise the bottom flipper to see if the top flipper functions...
[ while activating the cabinet flipper button... ]
If so then the problem is in the bottom flipper assembly; give or take.

#1437 3 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

Added, you could manually raise the bottom flipper to see if the top flipper functions...
[ while activating the cabinet flipper button... ]
If so then the problem is in the bottom flipper assembly; give or take.

good idea though i think for BG it is the opposite, the double stack in on the upper flipper which activates the lower ones. it always drives me a little crazy.

Capture (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPG

#1438 3 years ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

good idea though i think for BG it is the opposite, the double stack in on the upper flipper which activates the lower ones. it always drives me a little crazy.
[quoted image]

O.K. It's been long time....

#1439 3 years ago

Yep, thanks; raised the top right flipper while holding button and bottom right flipper activated. I'll double check everything in the top and post what I find.

#1440 3 years ago

Fixed...top right eos switch blade broke off. I didn't catch that the 1st time I looked at it.

Thanks again, I'm flippin' happy!

eosbroke (resized).jpgeosbroke (resized).jpg
2 months later
#1441 3 years ago

I finally joined the club thanks to my buddy jdoz2. This Big Game needs a lot of work, but it is a starting point. The MPU has pretty extensive acid damage I'm not sure if I can repair it or not, the solenoid driver board has a hole blown in it, the light board has some smoked transistors and the rectifier board is probably toast. I almost always replace the rectifier board anyway. The playfield is worn and the coin door has some damage around the coin return hole. The backglass isn't perfect but it isn't terrible either. I started cleaning the playfield, it was dirty because it was missing the glass. It's a project, but I am glad finally get one. It's on the list for restoration but I have several in front of it so it will be a while. Hopefully someone will reproduce a playfield by the time I get to it.

image_67196673 (resized).JPGimage_67196673 (resized).JPGimage_67198209 (resized).JPGimage_67198209 (resized).JPG
#1442 3 years ago
Quoted from ita47:

I finally joined the club thanks to my buddy jdoz2. This Big Game needs a lot of work, but it is a starting point. The MPU has pretty extensive acid damage I'm not sure if I can repair it or not, the solenoid driver board has a hole blown in it, the light board has some smoked transistors and the rectifier board is probably toast. I almost always replace the rectifier board anyway. The playfield is worn and the coin door has some damage around the coin return hole. The backglass isn't perfect but it isn't terrible either. I started cleaning the playfield, it was dirty because it was missing the glass. It's a project, but I am glad finally get one. It's on the list for restoration but I have several in front of it so it will be a while. Hopefully someone will reproduce a playfield by the time I get to it.

playfield is not that bad and everything is there. all boards are available, so congrats. it is my favorite stern for sure.

#1443 3 years ago
Quoted from ita47:

greatwich was talking about making a big game playfield on this thread https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/would-you-prepay-500-us-for-a-new-stern-seawitch-or-star-gazer-playfield/page/48

#1444 3 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

playfield is not that bad and everything is there. all boards are available, so congrats. it is my favorite stern for sure.

Yes this playfield is not horrible but is worn to the wood in spots. Yes I know I can get all boards so I'm not concerned with that. I will get it going again. It will be a nice addition to my other classic Sterns.

I saw that John is working on Big Game, we will see how long it takes him to get them into production.

image_67196673 (resized).JPGimage_67196673 (resized).JPG
#1445 3 years ago
Quoted from ita47:

Plastics all look good and both original spinners. Win win.

2 weeks later
#1446 2 years ago

I have invited a new Big Game owner to post pics of his Big Game on this thread. There is something unusual and a little different about his Big Game that he just got.

#1447 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I have invited a new Big Game owner to post pics of his Big Game on this thread. There is something unusual and a little different about his Big Game that he just got.

Yep
I think I know to what you refer cotton.
I could be wrong but we'll see.

#1449 2 years ago

It is exceedingly rare to find a "unique" tiger in the wild.
And now another of this rare breed has surfaced:
Extraordinary!

#1450 2 years ago

I played a lot last night. A buddy came over and knocked off my score of just over 2 million with just over 3 million. With EBs off, and using the updated code, not sure how I’ll ever beat it, but I’m trying!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball

$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Boston, MA
$ 33.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 69.00
There are 2,441 posts in this topic. You are on page 29 of 49.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/big-game-club-the-safari-has-started/page/29?hl=dragon and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.