IMG_1096 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1094 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1093 (resized).jpeg
51CwcKhRSvL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_ (resized).jpg
IMG_1084 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1082 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1083 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 2,441 posts in this topic. You are on page 28 of 49.
#1351 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

The new code makes lighting all the cards a true wizard task. Have to do it all on one ball or they reset.

Unless you turn the bonus resetting off. I know you like that rule since you requested it IIRC - I still have mine set to carry bonus over so in theory it should be easier to complete 2x cards, but rarely in practice does this happen.

#1352 3 years ago

I did it in the first couple weeks. Haha. So I went back to reset each ball. Helps offset the advantage of being able to wait on the card you want to rip a lit spinner.

Also, I think I mentioned this before, but at some point if you’ve played a ball for a really long time the cards stop moving on their timed interval. They revert back to stock behavior.

I will say I have the second to last revision and never put in the final, so maybe that’s my issue.

#1353 3 years ago

Having the cards reset also makes you switch strats and actively go for them if you’re close.

Before I never worried about lighting them because you had the whole game to get it done.

#1354 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Also, I think I mentioned this before, but at some point if you’ve played a ball for a really long time the cards stop moving on their timed interval. They revert back to stock behavior.

I will say I have the second to last revision and never put in the final, so maybe that’s my issue.

There was definitely something added to reset the timer, although looking at the code for it, it's "possible" but highly unlikely that enough of the change card hits could make the timer "00" which would stop it moving. But, that same code would then add 3 to the timer which would start it again on the next hit of a change card.

I didn't record which revision this was added to, but D was the last posted one. I need to put E into my machine to test the spinner timeout issue mistake I made (the game is supposed to wait for spinners to stop before counting bonus/ending ball, but the coding error cleared it before testing it....) in earlier versions, and also to double test the replay setting backwards with slam switch feature. Then it will get posted. Maybe this weekend if I can get the 3-4 machines out from in front of BG.

#1355 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Having the cards reset also makes you switch strats and actively go for them if you’re close.

What I am slowly learning, some from watching your Twitch video, is to go after that spinner when lit for 2000 points per spin. This is a good way to win a replay.

But not knowing much, and playing at home, I immediately went for the bingo cards.

#1356 3 years ago

Either way Is plenty fun, but the safe points are the spinners.

#1357 3 years ago

Big Game version 8 slight update:
https://sites.google.com/site/allentownpinball/galaxy-asm/BIGGAME-V8.zip?attredirects=0&d=1

This adds a correction to the auto card change counter to ensure it cannot timeout and never change
Also, a correction to the order of operations of the spinner timeout and the outhole, so that a spinning spinner will finish before the outhole routine runs.
Also, you can now hold the slam switch in during replay level setting to go backwards by 10k instead of forwards when pressing the credit button.

Other changes listed in previous messages here as well as in the readme including in the download.

#1358 3 years ago

there is a BG for sale on FB

Screenshot_20201006-021802_Facebook (resized).jpgScreenshot_20201006-021802_Facebook (resized).jpg
#1359 3 years ago

$1,200 for a non working BG with bonus worn playfield and flaked backglass? Have they appreciated that much in recent years?!?

#1360 3 years ago

def not a $800 machine anymore. I remember F14 and Meteors going for 300 bc no one wanted them. crazy times

#1361 3 years ago
Quoted from statictrance:

$1,200 for a non working BG with bonus worn playfield and flaked backglass? Have they appreciated that much in recent years?!?

I wouldn’t sell my BG for 5k if that helps.

#1362 3 years ago

Across the hobby every era of machines has gone up the past few years, yet early solid state's are supposed to remain static in pricing? Someone recently thought they knew of a Big Game that was still sitting for sale at $800, so I told them to go buy it and I'd pay to ship it to someone else who was looking for a Big Game. Of course, it was long gone. They still pop up cheap since Craigslist sellers use the Pinside price to list their game and it sells within the first hour. Unfortunately, that metric is working in reverse for the Cheetah listings.

#1363 3 years ago

Yes

#1364 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

What I am slowly learning, some from watching your Twitch video, is to go after that spinner when lit for 2000 points per spin. This is a good way to win a replay.

So careful shooting to fill the bingo cards is fun but not the key to a replay? Reminds me a bit of my Hot Hand: Four flushes are VERY hard to get, and nearly impossible by chance. But you can just bat the ball around and rip the spinner and beat it anyway. I would like rules that give the best points advantage by far to players who understand the rules.

#1365 3 years ago
Quoted from RoyGBev:

So careful shooting to fill the bingo cards is fun but not the key to a replay? Reminds me a bit of my Hot Hand: Four flushes are VERY hard to get, and nearly impossible by chance. But you can just bat the ball around and rip the spinner and beat it anyway. I would like rules that give the best points advantage by far to players who understand the rules.

If I was dropping coins into BG I would concentrate my efforts on getting the yellow spinner lit and go all out for it until I won my free game. After that I would go for the bingo cards. Getting all 27 lights lit is always a challenge and not an easy task and that makes them fun

#1366 3 years ago

Sorry, wasn't trying to sound crappy about it, just kinda surprised. I snagged mine a little over 2 years ago in the same shape (little more pf wear) for 500... Just surprised they've gone up that much. I know the newer/rarer classic Sterns have (Catacomb, Cheetah, etc), just didnt realize.

1 week later
#1367 3 years ago

new game for trade came up "nice" odd thing is the pins under the flippers , i used the holes to align my flippers never saw pins there , has anyone ever seen this before?

605221ad1304dc7de7ab49ef20567ead22cf8b74 (resized).jpg605221ad1304dc7de7ab49ef20567ead22cf8b74 (resized).jpg
#1368 3 years ago
Quoted from Dragon:

new game for trade came up "nice" odd thing is the pins under the flippers , i used the holes to align my flippers never saw pins there , has anyone ever seen this before?
[quoted image]

Yes.
Mine has pins also. Not sure how common they are though.

#1369 3 years ago

most of my Stern had pins though i don't remember if BG did? I remove them from mine to protect my flipper bats.

#1370 3 years ago

Mine has the pins. I set mine to have the flipper rest on them with the rubber off. Then tighten the bat down.

#1371 3 years ago
Quoted from Dragon:

[quoted image]

Nice play field .

1 month later
1 month later
#1373 3 years ago

Joined the hunt yesterday

16090961228017650116207977950452 (resized).jpg16090961228017650116207977950452 (resized).jpg16090961535604174391237529374109 (resized).jpg16090961535604174391237529374109 (resized).jpg
#1374 3 years ago
Quoted from Hyperion:

Joined the hunt yesterday
[quoted image][quoted image]

damn, that playfield looks amazing. super jealous

#1375 3 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

damn, that playfield looks amazing. super jealous

Bought from Tim Allen in Wichita Ks
Playfield and cabinet have been restored... not perfect but pretty damn good job

16090973054631548395502972322575 (resized).jpg16090973054631548395502972322575 (resized).jpg16090973273901607512003922045367 (resized).jpg16090973273901607512003922045367 (resized).jpg
#1376 3 years ago

very nice. I played mine for about a hour this morning. Such a great one. let us know how you compare it to Nine Ball.

#1377 3 years ago
Quoted from Hyperion:

Bought from Tim Allen in Wichita Ks
Playfield and cabinet have been restored... not perfect but pretty damn good job
[quoted image][quoted image]

Nice!
Congrats. Makes mine look like roadkill. Love it though.

#1378 3 years ago

Could someone please post a pic of the slam switch in the tilt area; specifically how the wires are connected.

I got my Big Game a couple of weeks ago and my switch was hanging off the mount with a couple of disconnected wires nearby.

A picture would help me get it back to normal. I'm a newbie and can't figure it out on the schematic.

Thanks.

1 week later
#1379 3 years ago

I found this Stern Big Game backglass for sale
$200
Melbourne, FL
Pinsider Droogpunk
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/108192

#1380 3 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

$200
Melbourne, FL
Pinsider droogpunk

Wow....good condition? Really? What happened to the reds lol.......

#1381 3 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

$200
Melbourne, FL
Pinsider droogpunk

Quoted from SergioJ:

Wow....good condition? Really? What happened to the reds lol.......

I think it is a prototype back glass. I'd like to have it.

The seller says it is local sale only. We have traded PMs and I said I could ship a box with a return ticket and he liked that. But when I asked to talk on the phone to get a little more detail, he has bolted. I look at his Pinside bonafides and see he has been on pinside for just 2 weeks and has made one post.

Are there any pinsiders that live in Melbourne/Palm Bay Florida that could pick this up for me and then I do business with you?

#1382 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

The seller says it is local sale only. We have traded PMs and I said I could ship a box with a return ticket and he liked that. But when I asked to talk on the phone to get a little more detail, he has bolted. I look at his Pinside bonafides and see he has been on pinside for just 2 weeks and has made one post.
Are there any pinsiders that live in Melbourne/Palm Bay Florida that could pick this up for me and then I do business with you?

I guess it’s possible. I have an early Star-jet glass where they either missed or just didn’t include the orange screen. That could be what happened here, no red screen. I’d ask for a pic of the back first though, if you expand the pic there’s a ton of cracking in the paint throughout. This backglass is infamous for fading and paint flaking/cracking.

The pic looks vaguely familiar. You might want to do a search on it and see if it’s pulled from someone else.

#1383 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

You could ask him if he could deliver it to a Mailboxes etc., or UPS store. They can package it and ship to you.

#1384 3 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

You could ask him if he could deliver it to a Mailboxes etc., or UPS store. They can package it and ship to you.

I appreciate the suggestion, but if you ever priced the UPS Store for shipping a back glass, you will choke on your coffee. Anyway, I managed to get something worked out with the seller. If all goes as planned, I should have that white back glass loaded into my back box in 10-14 days. To tell the truth, I do not know if it will look all that good on my Big Game. But I just had to have it.

I"m quite positive it is the real deal. But I just don't know what the real deal is. Was it one of one? Or one of ten? I know nothing about it.

#1385 3 years ago
Quoted from SergioJ:

I guess it’s possible. I have an early Star-jet glass where they either missed or just didn’t include the orange screen. That could be what happened here, no red screen.

Compare mine on the left and the White one on the right. The white in the face is extremely white; Same for the teeth. The eyes are with instead of yellow. The tips of the leaves new white and not yellow. The nose and tongue are white with some shades of pink. The white in the whiskers is also white

I see some cracks in the paint. Would I rather that not be there? Sure. But the glass is still presentable.

I could have bought a pig in a poke, but never having seen one before I decided to take a chance.

Correction: I have seen this white back glass before. It is over at VP Forums in the downloads section for the items that are available for the Big Game downloads. So more correctly, I have not seen this glass, only an artist rendition of this glass.

Screen Shot 2021-01-08 at 4.57.29 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-01-08 at 4.57.29 PM (resized).png

#1386 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Compare mine on the left and the White one on the right. The white in the face is extremely white; Same for the teeth. The eyes are with instead of yellow. The tips of the leaves new white and not yellow. The nose and tongue are white with some shades of pink. The white in the whiskers is also white
I see some cracks in the paint. Would I rather that not be there? Sure. But the glass is still presentable.
I could have bought a pig in a poke, but never having seen one before I decided to take a chance.
Correction: I have seen this white back glass before. It is over at VP Forums in the downloads section for the items that are available for the Big Game downloads. So more correctly, I have not seen this glass, only an artist rendition of this glass.
[quoted image]

I would be interested in your old glass if you sell it

#1387 3 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

I would be interested in your old glass if you sell it

That old glass in my BG Resto replacement. I do have my original old back glass. It has some flaking which I could probably mask with a couple of decals. I can get you some pics if you are still interested. Send me a PM and I set it up.

1 week later
#1390 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

That old glass in my BG Resto replacement. I do have my original old back glass. It has some flaking which I could probably mask with a couple of decals. I can get you some pics if you are still interested. Send me a PM and I set it up.

since it looks like we are getting new playfields I might as well go ahead and order a repro BG. I guess if your original is not too bad I might consider it.

#1391 3 years ago

exciting times man

#1392 3 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

since it looks like we are getting new playfields I might as well go ahead and order a repro BG. I guess if your original is not too bad I might consider it.

My OG is more than good. Still gonna get a repro.

#1393 3 years ago

Cw, cotton, woody
Any idea what a new playfield will run?

#1394 3 years ago
Quoted from rollitover:

Cw, cotton, woody
Any idea what a new playfield will run?

800 or less if greatwitch is doing it.

#1395 3 years ago

Oh man!
I better start saving THIS minute!
This is an answer to my prayers and the very real possibility of building a brand new sparkly clean Big Game.

#1396 3 years ago

The unusual back glass that I bought from a pinside ad has arrived. You will like it or not like it. it is not is good shape. There is a lot of cracking in the ink; It looks OK when the pin is off but there are a lot of light leaks when on. I'm still getting used to it. If it grows on me I may contract BG Resto and have him do his magic.

Whatever it is it is the real deal. It is factory printed. There are no reds and no yellows. There is a touch of pink on both sides of the nose and the tongue. The eyes are white.

If it does not grow on me, then I will frame it and hang it.

It is so unusual. I am thinking of sending a PM to Todd Tuckey and see if the depths of his pinball knowledge can shed some light on this glass.

And many many thanks to Bluepin for linking the ad to the Big Game thread. I would probably never have seen it otherwise.

IMG_5427 (resized).JPGIMG_5427 (resized).JPG

IMG_5424 (resized).JPGIMG_5424 (resized).JPG

#1397 3 years ago

I say get it restored. It’s rare and looks pretty cool.

#1398 3 years ago

Can anyone tell me if there are
stencils available for Big Game?
Thanks

#1399 3 years ago
Quoted from rollitover:

Can anyone tell me if there are
stencils available for Big Game?
Thanks

Pinball Pimp has them. But these were so simple I made my own with tracing paper and then transferred the trace to some poster board and laid them on the cabinet loosely. This gave the the fuzzy edges around the the figures that made it look sort of factory.

#1400 3 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

I say get it restored. It’s rare and looks pretty cool.

Actually, he does not restore this one. He will pattern it somehow and send something new that looks good. In that case I could hang the original on the wall, and if someone else wanted a white one then it would be possible to have one.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 33.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Boston, MA
$ 3.00
Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

There are 2,441 posts in this topic. You are on page 28 of 49.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/big-game-club-the-safari-has-started/page/28 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.