IMG_1096 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1094 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1093 (resized).jpeg
51CwcKhRSvL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_ (resized).jpg
IMG_1084 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1082 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1083 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 2,441 posts in this topic. You are on page 27 of 49.
#1301 3 years ago
Quoted from GoldenOreos:

Catacomb is good, u should go to GG and play it first though, it's a weird one just walking up to it. I like that I'm not one of the only ones here in nash on the 80s stern bandwagon. I'm still workin on convincing Jason to let me pf swap that quicksilver....one day

I did not know GG had a catacomb. Will probably run out this weekend and check it out.

#1302 3 years ago

Catacomb is probably my favorite classic stern, but you need to understand and play the bagatelle to really appraciated it

#1303 3 years ago

I understand the game through and through and still think it’s just okay. I hate that you really can’t hit the lock saucers on purpose. And playing the bagatelle is seems to luck based to me. Hard to control where the ball ends up.

#1304 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

And playing the bagatelle is seems to luck based to me. Hard to control where the ball ends up.

There is a lot of luck. I agree.

But there is a decent amount of skill involved, as well. A player with a light flipper touch can influence which column the balls goes down. A heavy nudge and hard hit to the flipper can usually get you down Column "A" 80% of the time. A light flipper touch can get you into Column "D" 70% of the time. ( My percentages are WAG numbers but you get the idea. )

There is still a lot of chance, but a skillful player will have an edge over someone just stepping up to the pin. It is not like stepping up to Seawitch.

#1305 3 years ago

Well if you’re competing with someone that’s never played they are screwed unless you teach them the back box rules.

#1306 3 years ago

Usually what happens is they sit there or flip as fast as possible to 'get it over with'. It can really help your game!

That gives me an idea for a software mod on it - only do it on the last ball of the game instead of after every ball.

I didn't overly dislike the game when I owned it - I just didn't have it as a 'go to' game - and the main reason was the lack of being able to collect the locks vs. banking them in. The rest of the game was good for sure especially the collection of the grid at the correct times, but by far it was the least played game in the gameroom for many years before I decided to sell it. I realized the only time I played it was before parties to make sure it worked.

#1307 3 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

That gives me an idea for a software mod on it

I don't have a problem with the balls just sort of finding their way into the locks. My problem with multi-ball on Catacomb is that you can be in the middle of a multi-ball session and the balls can and do fall back into a lock and it ends the mutual-ball session "early".

If you could do a mod that kicked the balls back onto the play field while multi-ball is in session, that would be help a lot. And then multi-ball would only end after the last ball drained.

Oh, and a spinner counter, of course
--------------------------------------------------

What are you wanting to do on only the last ball of the game?

#1308 3 years ago

The bagatelle only on the last ball. It's been several years since I've played/had one so maybe that is too radical.

Lightning screams out for a no-relock during multiball as well. It really was the worst part of all the multiball stern games - especially the ones where the ball lands in the locks by chance more than anything.

#1309 3 years ago

I mean do the multiballs even do anything outside of multiple balls in play?

#1310 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I mean do the multiballs even do anything outside of multiple balls in play?

Getting all 16 lights in the Bonus section is no easy task. But if you can keep a multi-ball session going for a few seconds, you will look up and see the 3 balls blasting around the play field really helps in getting those lights lit.

As for multi-ball times, it is short. Multi-ball is easier on my Robocop than it is on Catacomb.

#1311 3 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

The bagatelle only on the last ball. It's been several years since I've played/had one so maybe that is too radical.

You have to look at the bagatelle as crutch for weaker players. Without that 2nd chance to score some points on the " bonus " section, the pin would be unplayable to all except for the Roger Sharps of the world.

A weak player will say "this pin sucks" as he continously drains the ball and "gets stuck" in the bagatelle. But as his playing improves, he will spend more time hitting the drop targets and lighting the lights and less time in the bagatelle. I have managed to get 14 of the 16 lights lit on ball 1. It was a wild playing ball; very intense.

If you don't like the bagatelle, do not buy the pin. The pin cannot be played without it.

#1312 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Well if you’re competing with someone that’s never played they are screwed unless you teach them the back box rules.

I can teach you the rules 100% easy enough. And you might get lucky and beat me. But there is no substitute for practice and the odds will be in my favor.

#1313 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Getting all 16 lights in the Bonus section is no easy task. But if you can keep a multi-ball session going for a few seconds, you will look up and see the 3 balls blasting around the play field really helps in getting those lights lit.
As for multi-ball times, it is short. Multi-ball is easier on my Robocop than it is on Catacomb.

Since that is the case I’m perfectly fine with balls getting locked up during MB. Better than draining it.

#1314 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

A weak player will say "this pin sucks" as he continously drains the ball and "gets stuck" in the bagatelle. But as his playing improves, he will spend more time hitting the drop targets and lighting the lights and less time in the bagatelle. I have managed to get 14 of the 16 lights lit on ball 1. It was a wild playing ball; very intense.

If you don't like the bagatelle, do not buy the pin. The pin cannot be played without it.

I got REALLY good at the bagatelle (even getting the flip down to hit B and C, lighting it correctly first of course.) Weak players would generally have no idea what to do in the bagatelle and just flip away until another ball pops up in the shooter lane. (Maybe not 'weak' - more 'casual' i.e. the ones who think there's no rules to the game).

Tournament players probably would like it because hey, let's light the spinner and hit it over and over again, ignoring the rest of the playfield. I consistently beat tournament players who think there's only one viable strategy on stern games.

They put a crazy amount of stuff in the game that's for sure, narrow body with 4 3 banks and a ton of lamps right near them.

#1315 3 years ago

I wonder if it would’ve played better and allowed for direct shots to the locks as a wide body.

#1316 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I understand the game through and through and still think it’s just okay. I hate that you really can’t hit the lock saucers on purpose. And playing the bagatelle is seems to luck based to me. Hard to control where the ball ends up.

It isn't my favorite, but I can see why people like it. I would but about 5 of the other classic sterns above it.

#1317 3 years ago

Agreed. It’s fine just not anything great. Glad I have a couple near me to play when I need a fix.

#1318 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I wonder if it would’ve played better and allowed for direct shots to the locks as a wide body.

Big Game is plenty fast, as you know. Catacomb is faster, and part of that is due to the standard size cab. I like it as is, but realize not everyone shares my enthusiasm.

All I can really say is that while I like it at home, there is no way I would start feeding this pin quarters in the arcade. I'd be broke in an hour, if not 20 minutes.

#1319 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Big Game is plenty fast, as you know. Catacomb is faster, and part of that is due to the standard size cab. I like it as is, but realize not everyone shares my enthusiasm.
All I can really say is that while I like it at home, there is no way I would start feeding this pin quarters in the arcade. I'd be broke in an hour, if not 20 minutes.

I watched that video you sent me, insane how fast it plays.

#1320 3 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

I watched that video you sent me, insane how fast it plays.

You you only saw the bottom part of the play field in that video.

#1321 3 years ago

anyone got any cool instruction cards or just go original?

#1322 3 years ago

I bought these from a pinsider. I can't remember his name but he is still making these. He is on another pinside thread. Give me a chance to find him.

IMG_4400 (resized).JPGIMG_4400 (resized).JPG
IMG_4399 (resized).JPGIMG_4399 (resized).JPG

#1323 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I bought these from a pinsider. I can't remember his name but he is still making these. He is on another pinside thread. Give me a chance to find him.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

nice, those look great

#1324 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

[quoted image]
[quoted image]

are those titan flipper rubbers you got?

#1325 3 years ago

Wrong thread, my fault.

#1326 3 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

are those titan flipper rubbers you got?

Yeah, I think these are Titans. I usually use Superbands. But I think when I bought some inventory from Titan at TPF, I believe I bought the Big Game flipper rubbers, as well.

I really like them. But I like my Superbands, too.

#1327 3 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

anyone got any cool instruction cards or just go original?

Stern Electronics Club thread
Courtesy of Mr_Tantrum post thread #3197

#1328 3 years ago
Quoted from rollitover:

Stern Electronics Club thread
Courtesy of Mr_Tantrum post thread #3197

thank you sir

1 week later
#1329 3 years ago

I am starting to search for a Big Game. If anyone knows of one for sale, please let me know.

#1330 3 years ago

I’ll let mine go for $10k.

#1332 3 years ago
Quoted from Tyamry:

I am starting to search for a Big Game. If anyone knows of one for sale, please let me know.

Took me 2 years to find one around WA, and I ended up having to ship one from CO... not easy!

#1333 3 years ago

Shipping is no problem.

#1334 3 years ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

Took me 2 years to find one around WA, and I ended up having to ship one from CO... not easy!

Your classic stern collection is insane. I have dracula coming.

#1335 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I’ll let mine go for $10k.

Since we already hav a BG, it is nice for this game to start getting the recognition it deserves.

#1336 3 years ago

I will sell my old one needs a little Novas

BG Trash (resized).jpgBG Trash (resized).jpgBG Trash1 (resized).jpgBG Trash1 (resized).jpg
#1337 3 years ago
1 week later
#1338 3 years ago

A successful hunt!

I officially brought home a Big Game!

5J5A5924 (resized).JPG5J5A5924 (resized).JPG

5J5A5922 (resized).JPG5J5A5922 (resized).JPG

5J5A5923 (resized).JPG5J5A5923 (resized).JPG

Definitely needs some tweaking and attention (and some spinners!) but it should fit right in next to Cheetah.

#1339 3 years ago

Congrats! Those lane guides we recently found out about are becoming more and more common. Haha.

Enjoy!

#1340 3 years ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

A successful hunt!
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
Definitely needs some tweaking and attention (and some spinners!) but it should fit right in next to Cheetah.

And a fine Saturday morning congratulations Doc!
This one is hard to find these days.

#1341 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Those lane guides we recently found out about are becoming more and more common

Strange how this is working. I've been here 4 years and they are just now showing up.

#1342 3 years ago

Begs the questions, which flipper mech style is on it, @tractordoc? Likely gen 1 version?

#1343 3 years ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

Cool!
Curious about the small LED displays at the Credit/Ball in Play.

#1344 3 years ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

Begs the questions, which flipper mech style is on it, tractordoc? Likely gen 1 version?

Big Game is the 2nd generation of flipper assemblies.

#1345 3 years ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

Begs the questions, which flipper mech style is on it, tractordoc? Likely gen 1 version?

my playfield that had these lane guides did have Gen 1 flipper mechs

#1346 3 years ago

My 2 big games didn’t have those weird lane guides and each of them had gen 1. But who knows what was changed over the years.

#1347 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Big Game is the 2nd generation of flipper assemblies.

Big Game is the game that they changed from gen 1 to gen 2..... have gotten different games with either installed.

#1348 3 years ago

My best 1st ball ever for the bingo card lights. But it really was not a killer ball and the score is not that high. It took the Extra Ball and Ball 2 to get that last light lit.

IMG_4623 (resized).JPGIMG_4623 (resized).JPG

#1349 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

My best 1st ball ever for the bingo card lights. But it really was not a killer ball and the score is not that high. It took the Extra Ball and Ball 2 to get that last light lit.
[quoted image]

True, but all that hard work pays off on subsequent balls. i.e. Love lighting this games "reserve bonus"!

#1350 3 years ago

The new code makes lighting all the cards a true wizard task. Have to do it all on one ball or they reset.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu

$ 33.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 10.00
$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Boston, MA
There are 2,441 posts in this topic. You are on page 27 of 49.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/big-game-club-the-safari-has-started/page/27?hl=dragon and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.