Topic Stats

• 880 posts
  • 63 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by Dragon
  • Topic is favorited by 26 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 257 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20180616_200509 (resized).jpg
20180617_104549 (resized).jpg
20180617_104705 (resized).jpg
20180617_104638 (resized).jpg
20180617_104628 (resized).jpg
20180608_154638 (resized).jpg
20180608_154325 (resized).jpg
20180608_154312 (resized).jpg
20180608_154316 (resized).jpg
20180608_154301 (resized).jpg
IMG_2652 (resized).jpg
IMG_2653 (resized).jpg
IMG_2666 (resized).jpg
IMG_2672 (resized).jpg
IMG_2675 (resized).jpg
IMG_2655 (resized).jpg

There are 880 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 18.
#801 7 days ago

What is the part number for the drop target springs and flipper buttons? Are these only found at PBResource? Best way to flatten the large plastic covering the upper right corner? My first thought was to get the oven to a very low heat, let it cool to about 150-ish and pop it in there for a short while as it continues cooling--warm it up, but obviously not trying to melt it, then flatten it out under some weight.

I'm starting to see signs of life in this jungle!

#802 7 days ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

I'm starting to see signs of life in this jungle!

Provocative statement.
Might you have yourself
a project?

#803 7 days ago

http://pinball-mods.com has flipper buttons for early machines as well as pbresource
CPR pinball has the plastics for big game

#804 6 days ago

You can heat the plastics on a clean bench with a heat gun. Keep the heat moving and evenally. It will first curve up and then flatten. Then quickly move the floppy ness to a clean pinball glass. Have a smaller sheet of glass to place on top for extra flat cooling. Done this a few times. Mostly to a jungle lord.

#805 6 days ago

Ok I’ve joined the Club

The cabinet is shot needs a lot of work l so i am going to try to save this classic stern

Playfield is in a great original state , backglass is toast so I have to replace it ,hopefully someone’s got a high res scan

Here’s a couple of Pictures

0C688950-4F14-49B3-91FD-A41F254175FF (resized).jpeg58AB7E65-4923-4C9F-A598-287A3A31AEAC (resized).jpeg
#806 6 days ago
Quoted from Dicky:

Ok I’ve joined the Club
The cabinet is shot needs a lot of work l so i am going to try to save this classic stern
Playfield is in a great original state , backglass is toast so I have to replace it ,hopefully someone’s got a high res scan
Here’s a couple of Pictures[quoted image][quoted image]

Ah, but you have both spinners and the playfield looks good!

#807 6 days ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

Ah, but you have both spinners and the playfield looks good!

It’s because Playfield is in good condition I thought it would be worthy to bring it back from the dead

All I need is a new backglass & Cabinet

#808 6 days ago
Quoted from Dicky:

It’s because Playfield is in good condition I thought it would be worthy to bring it back from the dead
All I need is a new backglass & Cabinet

That is a beautiful play field. Nice score.

If the cab has no water damage, it will not be hard to fix. Even installing a new floor is no big deal.

There are 5 pink inserts (one in front of each drop target + 2 more). Yours looks like they are faded to white.

You cannot buy pink anywhere that I know of. Now they are purple. They will look good when installed.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/PI-1RP

#809 6 days ago

i have a extra populated pf id sell

#810 6 days ago
Quoted from pin-pimp:

i have a extra populated pf id sell

What’s it look like?

#811 6 days ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

What’s it look like?

I'd like to know that, too

#812 6 days ago
Quoted from Dicky:

Ok I’ve joined the Club
Here’s a couple of Pictures[quoted image][quoted image]

Protect that plastic that is inboard of the inside spinner. That teardrop like to break off with ball impact.

#813 6 days ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:What’s it look like?
Quoted from cottonm4:

I'd like to know that, too

Indeed! Make it us three.
Pics, pics, pics!

#814 5 days ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

That is a beautiful play field. Nice score.
If the cab has no water damage, it will not be hard to fix. Even installing a new floor is no big deal.
There are 5 pink inserts (one in front of each drop target + 2 more). Yours looks like they are faded to white.
You cannot buy pink anywhere that I know of. Now they are purple. They will look good when installed.
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/PI-1RP

Cabinet has water damage & has been eaten by borers or something, so its a new cabinet build and Head box
I will check out the insert color thanks ,otherwise i will just put Pink Purple Leds in them

#815 5 days ago

I am working with Kerry at Mantis to build some ball guides for Quicksilver. It would be a perfect time to see if Kerry could make some of the guides that go between the Big Game flippers.

Anybody interested in some spares for their Big Game? Steve at PBR used to have some but he sold out.

Speak up. Make your self counted.

#817 5 days ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I am working with Kerry at Mantis to build some ball guides for Quicksilver. It would be a perfect time to see if Kerry could make some of the guides that go between the Big Game flippers.
Anybody interested in some spares for their Big Game? Steve at PBR used to have some but he sold out.

those are the plates behind the flippers with the broken L brackets , i have one broken one on mine , is there 2 or 4 guides on the big game , i would be interested in this

#818 5 days ago
Quoted from Dragon:

those are the plates behind the flippers with the broken L brackets , i have one broken one on mine , is there 2 or 4 guides on the big game , i would be interested in this

2 guides.

#819 5 days ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I made my own but would be interested if priced reasonably.

I actually removed the right-side one again as I prefer the dangerous gap between the flippers on that side. I left the screw in the hole closest to the bottom flipper and that keeps the ball form hanging up there which it otherwise does pretty regularly.

#820 5 days ago
Quoted from slochar:

Since there's only one display available for spins, I made a decision that if the right is the only one going, that's going to show, but the left being the more important shot that will take priority.
What you can do for the videos is run a video while you are playing and if you run into an issue clip that portion out or about 30 seconds on either side of it for review. Basically what was new on v5 was the 5x scoring and the much longer timeout (since re-shortened) of the triple card lighting. Erik has the v6 replacement which rolled all the small things I noticed from his video into the fixes. Most of them were really preferences of mine to make the results be more polished.
Originally I was only going to do a one off spinner count rom for Cotton I had no idea people were so into that. Probably should add it to other Stern games like meteor, stars, and nine ball.

This might seem like a ridiculous suggestion but in addition to the spinner count as implemented could you also...

Use the other 3 player's score displays (for the players not currently playing) as a sort of velocity gauge?

So the faster the spinner was spinning the longer the gauge would be (filling more of the 7 digits the faster it is going). The digits used could go from 0-9 and the number of digits used would be a percentage of 100, which you would have to arbitrarily figure out what a good threshold for this would be. And if the spinner was above 100 (all 9's filling all 7 digits of each display) they could start to flash to show that you're spinner rate was in "overload"!

This would be a very fun effect esp if all three of the "other" score displays were used at a the same time.

examples:
Spinner ripping at initial hit: 9999999 (flashing)
Starting to slow down a bit: 7777777
Slower: 55555
Almost stopped: 22

I'm really excited to try the new software! I just need to replace my Alltek with a Weebly board so I can load up custom ROMs. My game is also going back on location soon and I know the league guys will love these additions!

#821 5 days ago

I just finished installing the replacement boards for the grid sockets and I've noticed that on all three cards (X, Y, Z) my 8 and 9 lights are reversed. So dropping the 8 target lights 9, and dropping the 9 lights 8. In addition, on only the X card the 5 and 6 lights are similarily reversed.

I figured I must have messed up when I soldered the wires onto the new boards but in this configuration the attract mode light show works perfectly, the straight lines cascade in both directions as expected. If I re-wire the cards so the targets match the digits correctly, the attract show lightshow will be messed up.

Has anyone encountered this before? Suggestions?

#823 5 days ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Make your self counted.

Sure why not.

#824 5 days ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

We’re they right before? If so you mixed up the wiring somewhere.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19sZoDc1MHa73RKTqZHUNUDDT7DLCRHlGP695ltOndps

Honestly I don't recall checking but I have a vague recollection that they might not have been.

It doesn't make any sense though.

Are you guys *sure* your 8 and 9 lights correspond to the 8 and 9 drop targets? And if so, does your attract mode work correctly?

To illustrate what I'm on about here's a little diagram. Currently my attract mode looks 100%. So on the animation where the entire vertical column of lights are lit at once and they move across the card...

(1) 2 3
(4) 5 6
(7) 8 9

1 (2) 3
4 (5) 6
7 (8) 9

1 2 (3)
4 5 (6)
7 8 (9)

On this card the 5 and 6 are swapped (6 lights for 5 drop target, 5 lights for 6 drop target), as are the 8 and 9. If I switch the light wires around to correct that, then the attract mode animation will be borked like this...

(1) 2 3
(4) 5 6
(7) 8 9

1 (2) 3
4 5 (6)
7 8 (9)

1 2 (3)
4 (5) 6
7 (8) 9

I feel like I'm losing my mind...

#825 5 days ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Honestly I don't recall checking but I have a vague recollection that they might not have been.
It doesn't make any sense though.
Are you guys *sure* your 8 and 9 lights correspond to the 8 and 9 drop targets? And if so, does your attract mode work correctly?
To illustrate what I'm on about here's a little diagram. Currently my attract mode looks 100%. So on the animation where the entire vertical column of lights are lit at once and they move across the card...
(1) 2 3
(4) 5 6
(7) 8 9
1 (2) 3
4 (5) 6
7 (8) 9
1 2 (3)
4 5 (6)
7 8 (9)
On this card the 5 and 6 are swapped (6 lights for 5 drop target, 5 lights for 6 drop target), as are the 8 and 9. If I switch the light wires around to correct that, then the attract mode animation will be borked like this...
(1) 2 3
(4) 5 6
(7) 8 9
1 (2) 3
4 5 (6)
7 8 (9)
1 2 (3)
4 (5) 6
7 (8) 9
I feel like I'm losing my mind...

Either you or someone else wired it up wrong.

Here is the wiring colors for each light. From IPDB.org

Screen Shot 2019-11-07 at 4.42.15 PM (resized).png

#826 5 days ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Yes to both. If you click my link and follow those instructions that should be the correct wiring. Or use the schematic posted above. If your game is still wonky, then you might have a lamp board or mpu issue.

#827 5 days ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I will buy one set of them if you get this to happen

#828 5 days ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Yes to both. If you click my link and follow those instructions that should be the correct wiring. Or use the schematic posted above. If your game is still wonky, then you might have a lamp board or mpu issue.

Okay will review again tonight. Some of my wire colours running to the lamps are different from those listed in the instructions for some reason.

#829 5 days ago
IMG_1267 (resized).jpg
#830 5 days ago
IMG_1200 (resized).jpg
#831 5 days ago
_MG_1321 (resized).jpg
#832 5 days ago

That’s a beautiful sight. Best aftermarket mod ever!

#833 5 days ago

i purchased that mod the day after getting the game home , talk about madness with playfeild lights , that mod is the game changer

#834 5 days ago
Quoted from Dragon:

i purchased that mod the day after getting the game home , talk about madness with playfeild lights , that mod is the game changer

Did the same on my Meteor. First time all lights worked on that game

#835 4 days ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Okay will review again tonight. Some of my wire colours running to the lamps are different from those listed in the instructions for some reason.

I have 4 play field wires on my BG that are not to print. Can’t explain it other than the factory ran out of the correct wire and substituted another color to avoid production shut down.

You will need to learn how to read the prints so you can trace any wire back to its correct connector and pin position in the connector.

It is not hard. If you want some instruction just raise your hand.

#836 4 days ago
Quoted from Fytr:

This might seem like a ridiculous suggestion but in addition to the spinner count as implemented could you also...
Use the other 3 player's score displays (for the players not currently playing) as a sort of velocity gauge?
So the faster the spinner was spinning the longer the gauge would be (filling more of the 7 digits the faster it is going). The digits used could go from 0-9 and the number of digits used would be a percentage of 100, which you would have to arbitrarily figure out what a good threshold for this would be. And if the spinner was above 100 (all 9's filling all 7 digits of each display) they could start to flash to show that you're spinner rate was in "overload"!
This would be a very fun effect esp if all three of the "other" score displays were used at a the same time.
examples:
Spinner ripping at initial hit: 9999999 (flashing)
Starting to slow down a bit: 7777777
Slower: 55555
Almost stopped: 22
I'm really excited to try the new software! I just need to replace my Alltek with a Weebly board so I can load up custom ROMs. My game is also going back on location soon and I know the league guys will love these additions!

To do so would require a software clock which currently doesn't exist as it does in other makers' games (williams). I'd have to look at what Bally did with Vector to get the timing going. This might fall into the category of 'the juice isn't worth the squeeze' though - for instance, because the credit display is derived from 2 separate bytes of ram, to put the counter on the left display was an extra several steps of processing on each and every spin, so I decided to just leave it the way it is. It did tell me I need to juice my spinner up a little as I was getting between 20-30 on each instead of the 35-45 that Chuck got on his. Time to clean the spinner wires... it's probably been at least 15 years since I did it last.

#837 4 days ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Quoted from Fytr:

Okay, I have confirmed that my socket wiring is correct, it's the bloody drop target switches that are wrong!
Here's a snap of my X card wiring for reference.
IMG_7006 (resized).JPG

When I originally tested things a few days ago I screwed up and somehow missed the fact that the swapped lights were consistent across all 3 cards, instead I thought that it 5-6 was swapped on X and Y but not Z, and 8-9 were swapped on all 3 cards. This threw me for a loop as I couldn't figure out how the attract mode light show could be perfect, but only 2 out of the 3 cards could have swapped 5-6 lights (hence the post here).

However, last night when I retested things all 3 cards showed the same issues (5-6 and 8-9 swapped). This makes a lot more sense since it's pretty obvious now that it's actually the drop-target switches that are miswired, not the lights!

Thanks for the quick responses!

#838 3 days ago
Quoted from rollitover:

Provocative statement.
Might you have yourself
a project?

It works now thanks to barakandl zacaj and chuckwurt for help in the tech section. I've had this for over 2 years, left at 8 AM to get it and didn't get home until 2 AM the next morning. I still have a list of stuff to do in order to get it as nice as it can be, but I'm excited to be on my way with it!

I already have the new light boards ordered. The drop targets are grimy and probably need new springs (will PBResource know which springs I need?). I also want to get in on the new code revisions, but I need to get my original MPU for that.

#839 3 days ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

It works now thanks to barakandl zacaj and chuckwurt for help in the tech section. I've had this for over 2 years, left at 8 AM to get it and didn't get home until 2 AM the next morning. I still have a list of stuff to do in order to get it as nice as it can be, but I'm excited to be on my way with it!
I already have the new light boards ordered. The drop targets are grimy and probably need new springs (will PBResource know which springs I need?). I also want to get in on the new code revisions, but I need to get my original MPU for that.

PBR will know what springs you need. You will need the shorter of the 2 styles of Stern/Bally springs. He will know what flipper buttons you need. He will know what flipper switches you need. Try to find what you can on PBR website and write those part numbers down.

If you talk to him, tell him you have some part numbers of what you need but not some of the others. If you area noobie, tell him that. I suggest working your order with all of the part numbers (from PBR website) that you have. Once you you have done that tell him you don't have a part number for the following items.

Don't try to BS him and he will be nice to working with you. He'll smell BS from a mile away.

#840 3 days ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

PBR will know what springs you need. You will need the shorter of the 2 styles of Stern/Bally springs. He will know what flipper buttons you need. He will know what flipper switches you need. Try to find what you can on PBR website and write those part numbers down.
If you talk to him, tell him you have some part numbers of what you need but not some of the others. If you area noobie, tell him that. I suggest working your order with all of the part numbers (from PBR website) that you have. Once you you have done that tell him you don't have a part number for the following items.
Don't try to BS him and he will be nice to working with you. He'll smell BS from a mile away.

I've ordered from him a few times. I send my orders via email and include part numbers, but I don't have the classic Stern parts catalog. Either way, I know he's a busy man so I try to be concise and precise with my order.

#841 3 days ago

I also should get a PBR order put together , I have not setup the account yet but i have read what he requires from the customer on his web site

#842 3 days ago

Email them. It’s a pleasure. Easiest experience ever.

#843 3 days ago
Quoted from Dragon:

I also should get a PBR order put together , I have not setup the account yet but i have read what he requires from the customer on his web site

You will become an alphanumeric number. He will assign you an account number. When I call I always say this is A123456.

He will not remember your name.

Get set up so you can be prepared when you really need him. Your first order needs to be for $15-$20 or so. You need to establish credit.

When that order arrives I immediately open, check for correct inventory, and then write a check to go out with the next day’s mail.

Steve prides himself on fast shipping. He expects fast payment. It is not a good idea to let yourself get placed on his slow-pay list.

After a couple of orders where you paid him properly then you can order $300-$400 worth of parts without issue. Not too many shops work like this.

#844 3 days ago

I think people tip toe around PBR WAY too much. Use email. It’s very easy.

#845 2 days ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

You will become an alphanumeric number. He will assign you an account number. When I call I always say this is A123456.
He will not remember your name.
Get set up so you can be prepared when you really need him. Your first order needs to be for $15-$20 or so. You need to establish credit.
When that order arrives I immediately open, check for correct inventory, and then write a check to go out with the next day’s mail.
Steve prides himself on fast shipping. He expects fast payment. It is not a good idea to let yourself get placed on his slow-play list.
After a couple of orders where you paid him properly then you can order $300-$400 worth of parts without issue. Not too many shops work like this.

that's awesome , i know his methods are all done for the sake of efficiency and steve's group at pbr is the yoda of pinball part resources , but now i have the lyrics to "secret agent man" stuck in my head and i will hum that as i fill out my email request

#846 2 days ago

It's coming along nicely!

20191110_124234 (resized).jpg20191110_124136 (resized).jpg
#847 2 days ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

It's coming along nicely![quoted image][quoted image]

that playfeild is in an amazing shape the #4 on "Z" is sunken, easy fix. I had a bunch of them like that , i eventually placed the lexan cover on it after doing touch up on the paint

#848 2 days ago

this summer was the coin door reworked, new back glass, new red displays , after looking at the flipper guides in this picture they look like they may be easy to fix, I also see an additional mistake i made after looking at these pics ,

IMG_2646 (resized).jpgIMG_2647 (resized).jpgIMG_2650 (resized).jpgIMG_2652 (resized).jpgIMG_2653 (resized).jpgIMG_2655 (resized).jpgIMG_2658 (resized).jpgIMG_2660 (resized).jpgIMG_2666 (resized).jpgIMG_2672 (resized).jpgIMG_2673 (resized).jpgIMG_2675 (resized).jpg
#849 2 days ago
Quoted from Dragon:

that playfeild is in an amazing shape the #4 on "Z" is sunken, easy fix. I had a bunch of them like that , i eventually placed the lexan cover on it after doing touch up on the paint

You mean a playfield protector? I do need to touch up a few of the numbers, but considering it was home to dozens of mud dauber nests when I got it, they were at least tidy critters who kept mainly to the backbox and wiring under the playfield.

#850 2 days ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

You mean a playfield protector? I do need to touch up a few of the numbers, but considering it was home to dozens of mud dauber nests when I got it, they were at least tidy critters who kept mainly to the backbox and wiring under the playfield.

A big game in the wild , that playfeild in that condition is a great find , but after 40 years a lot can happen . how did the back glass fare?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 7.65
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems
$ 19.95
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 44.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Siegecraft Electronics
$ 10.00
There are 880 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 18.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside