Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3744 (resized).jpg
IMG_3743 (1) (resized).jpg
0Shangri-La-Relays-Bank (resized).jpg
Pinball (resized).png
#1 6 years ago

I have a 1977 Williams Big Deal that is having some problems with the double bonus and spade relays resetting consistently. When I add a player to start the game sometimes both will reset properly, sometimes neither, or sometimes one or the other resets. This also happens at the end of a ball during gameplay. However, they both reset properly when I push down the reset bar manually. Any help is appreciated.

#2 6 years ago

Check score motor sw. 4C. Also take a look at the start up seq. in the manual: http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/245/Williams_1977_Big_Deal_Instruction_Manual.pdf

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from Sodacrack:

I have a 1977 Williams Big Deal that is having some problems with the double bonus and spade relays resetting consistently. When I add a player to start the game sometimes both will reset properly, sometimes neither, or sometimes one or the other resets. This also happens at the end of a ball during gameplay. However, they both reset properly when I push down the reset bar manually. Any help is appreciated.

I'm hearing that the Relay Bank sometimes doesn't fully reset all 7 of its relays, especially the ones on the ends. That reset coil runs on 110 volts so be very careful. It could be an electrical issue or a mechanical issue. currieddog suggestion to check switch 4C on the motor is a good first step. Here's the electric circuit that you could diagnose with Alligator clip jumper wires.

Pinball (resized).pngPinball (resized).png

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

That reset coil runs on 110 volts so be very careful.

Very important point. Thanks HowardR.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

I'm hearing that the Relay Bank sometimes doesn't fully reset all 7 of its relays, especially the ones on the ends. That reset coil runs on 110 volts so be very careful. It could be an electrical issue or a mechanical issue. currieddog suggestion to check switch 4C on the motor is a good first step. Here's the electric circuit that you could diagnose with Alligator clip jumper wires.

Yes, all the other relays reset correctly in the bank except the one on the ends (double bonus and spade). It doesn't seem to be a mechanical issue because they reset just fine when I reset the bank manually. I will give it a try this evening and report back. Thanks,

#6 6 years ago

I checked and cleaned score motor 4C and it looks good. I will need to make some some alligator clip jumper wires to check the above referenced circuit. However, these checks seem to be for the reset coil. The coil seems to be functioning fine. By the way, thanks for the reminder on the 110 voltage on the coil. I noticed how big it was when I got the game and have been keeping my fingers away from it.

The game had multiple start up issues when it came to me and I have used the manual to diagnose the start up problems. Now the game resets properly accept for these two relays.

I have included a video of the relay bank as I start a 4 player game. As I press start for a 1 player game, you can see all the relays reset. As I add players the 2 relays will not stay reset consistently.

#7 6 years ago

Are there any switches under the bank by those end coils?

#8 6 years ago

What I'm seeing in your excellent video is that even when the end relays are already reset, sometimes the reset action trips one or both of them. It's remotely possible that they're being electrically tripped. So disconnect one wire on each one. If after that, the reset action still occasionally trips them, then the problem has to be a mechanical one.

#9 6 years ago

Hi Sodacrack
when I bought my "Shangri La" and looked into --- a huge Relay-Bank was hanging down on the underneathside of the playfield --- and on ONE Relay (armature) was mounted: An cable-binder made of nylon --- see in the JPG "fourth from the right". Well, obviously some problem with "resetting THIS relay" when the whole unit is resetted. After many years: My "Big Deal" did not always (at start-up as well when stepping to next player / next ball) reset all the relays in the Relay-Bank (spade relay) --- (not state of the art but) I mounted such an nylon cable binder - and the problem has vanished.

Maybe the same helps on Your pin - maybe not - want to try ? Greetings Rolf

0Shangri-La-Relays-Bank (resized).jpg0Shangri-La-Relays-Bank (resized).jpg

#10 6 years ago

Hot damn! I figured it out. A leaf switch blade was arcing to the bracket intermittently. The blade was not touching the bracket, but sometimes it came close enough to arc. You can see in the picture I attached where I placed the electrical tape to stop the arc. I adjusted the blades away from the bracket and everything works great. Thanks for the help.

IMG_3743 (1) (resized).jpgIMG_3743 (1) (resized).jpg

IMG_3744 (resized).jpgIMG_3744 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/big-deal-double-bonus-problems?hl=currieddog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.