Big Daddy Enterprises: Down but not out, and up soon!

(Topic ID: 129991)

Big Daddy Enterprises: Down but not out, and up soon!

By toddsvec

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by mwiz
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

WetBoxes.jpg

#1 3 years ago

You may have heard we had a little problem with water. Here in the Midwest we have been hammered with rain, and on Thursday night the sump pumps could not keep up and the next downpour sent an estimated 5000 gallons of water in to my basement which serves dual purpose as my Big Daddy business and personal game room. At 3AM water was coming up from the cracks & crevices, from every corner. With the help of many friends to which I'm extremely grateful, we managed to get most everything on the floor upstairs or at least "up". No inventory or games were severely damaged. To compound it, we lost Internet for days, only getting online Sunday when I stretched a new cable. I've been mailing orders since Sunday, in between cleaning up, the most time consuming thing has been "where is the XXXX box now?!?!?!". The whole experience has been rather depressing, I lost a lot of personal stuff, pictures, books, magazines, like my entire collection of Gameroom Magazine & Pingame Journal, some of my Stephen King & Dean Koontz collection, old software (games, love the old Lucasfilm & Infocom stuff) and just boxes of stuff that will never be the same once wet.

Today should see that all old orders are processed & shipped, and I plan on opening the site back up to new business as soon as that happens. Thanks for your support and business.

PS: Anyone want to help change 240 leg levelers?

WetBoxes.jpg
    #2 3 years ago

Dang, sorry to hear about the losses Todd

If it helps, a number of the older lucasarts games found their way onto Steam the last few years: http://store.steampowered.com/search/?publisher=LucasArts

Infocom games are available in the DOS archive of archive.org: https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos_games?and[]=infocom

For photos, I've heard there are restoration services that might be able to scan the damaged photos and repair them digitally. I haven't used any myself, but I know they are around.

Gameroom magazine back issues: http://www.millamusement.com/GameRoomMagazines.html

Pingame Journal back issues: http://www.pingamejournal.com/backs/

Hope that helps

#3 3 years ago

Sorry to hear about the flood. But it sounds like you have things under control.

Had something similar happen years ago when we lived in the suburbs of Chicago. We lived in a tri-story and I went down to the lowest level in my bare feet one day after some torrential rains. Stepped into about 2 inches of water. Out of frustration I went to check the sump pump, which was quiet. Figuring it had burned out, I kicked it in frustration only to hear it purr into life. Apparently the float ball had gotten jammed just below the switch.

The lessons I learned from that were:
    (a) don't ever put anything important less than 12" off the floor.
    (b) once you get the water out, get fans, blowers and the like to get it as dry as possible as fast as possible. If you get mold growing it will be a nightmare forever.
    (c) kick the sump pump once in a while.

I live in Texas now where we don't ever have to worry about floods

ken

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from toddsvec:

PS: Anyone want to help change 240 leg levelers?

I will help in any way, just give me a shout.

#5 3 years ago

Glad I found this, was just gonna start a thread. Sucks man, hopefully you can get everything up and going again soon!

#6 3 years ago

Sorry about the flood.

And the loss of the Infocom games. I'm glad you weren't eaten by a grue.

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from Yellowdog:

I live in Texas now where we don't ever have to worry about floods

Tell that to Houston residents.

#8 3 years ago

Geez Todd, that sucks. I'm pullin for ya bud.

Steve

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from EvanDickson:

Sorry about the flood.
    And the loss of the Infocom games. I'm glad you weren't eaten by a grue.

Wouldn't Zork make a great pinball theme? Or Trinity?

Sorry about this experience - hope insurance can cover much of it..

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from dluth:

Wouldn't Zork make a great pinball theme? Or Trinity?
    Sorry about this experience - hope insurance can cover much of it..

The carousel from zork would make a neat feature. Ball goes in and is redirected to a different play field area then where it entered from.

#11 3 years ago

Unfortunately due to Internet connection problems, I am not back yet.

#12 3 years ago

Sucks! At least you seem to be getting a handle on the situation.

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from toddsvec:

Unfortunately due to Internet connection problems, I am not back yet.

Sucks what happened Todd, but we hope you are ok and we hope to see you back soon!

#14 3 years ago

The Zork pin's acronym would symbolically have to be "XYZZY". Sorry about your losses. Water and games blows, talk to Kevin at PAPA about it sometime. You got off very easy.

#15 3 years ago

Keep ya chin up Todd...
    Cant keep a good man down!!!!

#16 3 years ago

Do you HAVE to change out the leg levelors if you dry them?

#17 3 years ago

Todd, I should be in KC next week...let me know if you need any help. I would be more than happy to help you with those legs or anything else for an afternoon.

Tom

#18 3 years ago

Put the site up last night, Internet is back up, at least overnight, and I still have a service call scheduled. And hey, I have my living room back! Now on to the hallway.

I'm assuming that since most of the levelers were new or nice, they filled with water, and will rust, or had a little water under them and there too might be rust. This isn't something I'm going to do soon, but thanks for the offer of help BigT!

#19 3 years ago
    Quoted from toddsvec:

Put the site up last night, Internet is back up, at least overnight, and I still have a service call scheduled. And hey, I have my living room back! Now on to the hallway.
    I'm assuming that since most of the levelers were new or nice, they filled with water, and will rust, or had a little water under them and there too might be rust. This isn't something I'm going to do soon, but thanks for the offer of help BigT!

I have bought from your site a bunch of times and have always been happy to with your products and service. Sorry to hear about the flood and losses. If you want any replacement books (Dean Koontz etc) I have TONS in our family and and I am sure others on this site we would be happy to replace books that the insurance can't. Just send a PM always happy to do a favor for our AWESOME small business pinball owners!!! You all don't realize how important you are to the hobby!

#20 3 years ago

Hey Jester, thanks for the offer. I don't know what I lost because I stopped looking, but I doubt I'll go back and read again many of what I collected. If a box of books was water damaged, I wasn't going to keep it and simply closed the box up and tossed it on the burn pile. What I know I lost regarding Dean Koontz was many of the books he wrote under one of his many pseudonyms. I know I saw two Leigh Nichols books. When it was not well know, I'd hit the book stores and search out these authors, once it became know they got snapped up.

*Dean used the following pen names early in his career. The number in parenthesis is the number of titles written under each name: David Axton (1) Brian Coffey (5), Deanna Dwyer (5), K.R. Dwyer (3), John Hill (1), Leigh Nichols (5), Anthony North (1), Richard Paige (1), and Aaron Wolfe (1). Two of the Brian Coffey books have been reissued under Dean’s name–THE FACE OF FEAR (Berkley Books) and THE VOICE OF THE NIGHT (Berkley Books), one of the K.R. Dwyer titles–SHATTERED (Berkley Books), the lone Richard Paige book–THE DOOR TO DECEMBER (NAL/Signet) and all five Leigh Nichols titles (Berkley Books). CHASE, by K.R. Dwyer, was extensively rewritten by Dean and published as a full-length novel in the collection STRANGE HIGHWAYS, published by Warner Books (now Grand Central Publishing).

1 month later
    #21 3 years ago

Anybody order from these guys lately? They are usually quick to respond and sent out items but I have not heard anything and it has been a week. Just wondering if on vacation or something.

#22 3 years ago

No, I'm not on vacation. Wish I was. Getting orders out as fast as I can.

#23 3 years ago

I ordered on the 8th and the tracking shows it is out for deliver today! Thanks Todd! I should be able to rebuild my Mata Hari's rectifier board after work today

#24 3 years ago

I got shipment info today. Thanks Big-Daddy... great products!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 35.00
    $ 149.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 10.50
    Playfield - Protection
    The MOD Couple
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 194.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    £ 12.00
    $ 44.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 259.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Tilttopper
    $ 34.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 139.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 6,995.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 89.99
    € 9.95
    Playfield - Other
    Multigame
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Gameroom Mods
    $ 36.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside