(Topic ID: 123004)

Big Choice Crane PCB

By kurboman

9 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC00577.JPG
    #1 9 years ago

can anyone explain this board it operates the marquee lights for a Big choice crane from the 1980's it has 110 volts input and the lights are 10 watt 60 volts. Cannot find any scheDSC00577.JPGDSC00577.JPGmatics on this so I'm guessing that the square black box is a transformer and it test 110 volts in but nothing out and has no ID markings of any kind one guy told me he thinks the controls on this board operate on 5 volts and the lights are 60 volts so does anyone know the value of this transformer and explain operation of this boardDSC00577.JPGDSC00577.JPG

#2 9 years ago

Some other views of the board may help.

Is this the unit?? http://ohwow-arcade.com/Assets/Game_Manuals/BIG%20CHOICE.PDF

faz

#3 9 years ago

Yes indeed. I have worked on literally hundreds of crane machines.
    There is a version of this board that has 4 chase circuits and a version that has 3 chase circuits.
    Yours appears to be the 4 circuit version (the number of TRIACS on the heatsink).

The transformer drops 110v to possibly 12 volts. There is a zener diode to drop that voltage to near +5 volts dc for the ICs to use.
    Anyways the circuitry for the chasing is 5 volts. (The ttl chips you see.)

There is a pot in front of the transformer for the chase speed adjust.

The fuses are for each output circuit. In this case the board has 4 chase outputs of 110 volts AC.

The chips generate a chase pattern that controls the TRIACs mounted to the aluminum heat sinks.
    The 110 AC in goes from the connector pins to the transformer.
    The outputs from the fuses go to the connector pins then to the AC HOT of each of your chase light strings.
    The 110 AC common is visible if you turn the board over and look at the traces at the connector pins. There are two that are joined together.

You mentioned 60 volt bulbs..If your crane has 60 volt bulbs, they are wired in series in pairs to create a 120 circuit.

You failed to mention if anything was wrong with this board but I am assuming you havent had it hooked up.

The biggest failure is the electrolytic caps go bad from the heat of the board being mounted on the cranes ceiling. Heat from the light fixtures and all.

Resolder the transformer terminals and then replace all the caps for a 99% guaranteed repair.

I would test it first before investing in the caps to see if it is functional at all.

Ok to hook it up. Starting where you have the two white wires.
    That is the 110v AC in. Put the HOT on the left.
    So it is HOT 110 AC, then NEUTRAL 110 AC, then Common NEUTRAL 110 AC to all of your light strings, then the HOT #1, HOT #2, HOT #3 & HOT #4 (individually switched on and off by the TRIACs) go to each string of lights.

Hope this helps.

#4 9 years ago

thanks Mrjamma that was lots of help can you explain the part about common neutral 110 ac to all the light strings I have the two white wires for the 110 ac hot and neutral 110 ac then I have 4 wires to the light strings red, blue,white and brown. so whats the common neutral your talking about ? Remember I have 60 volt bulbs also when I got this machine the board was hooked up but the marquee lights did not work and all but 2 bulbs were gone

#5 9 years ago
    Quoted from Mrjamma:

Yes indeed. I have worked on literally hundreds of crane machines.
    There is a version of this board that has 4 chase circuits and a version that has 3 chase circuits.
    Yours appears to be the 4 circuit version (the number of TRIACS on the heatsink).
    The transformer drops 110v to possibly 12 volts. There is a zener diode to drop that voltage to near +5 volts dc for the ICs to use.
    Anyways the circuitry for the chasing is 5 volts. (The ttl chips you see.)
    There is a pot in front of the transformer for the chase speed adjust.
    The fuses are for each output circuit. In this case the board has 4 chase outputs of 110 volts AC.
    The chips generate a chase pattern that controls the TRIACs mounted to the aluminum heat sinks.
    The 110 AC in goes from the connector pins to the transformer.
    The outputs from the fuses go to the connector pins then to the AC HOT of each of your chase light strings.
    The 110 AC common is visible if you turn the board over and look at the traces at the connector pins. There are two that are joined together.
    You mentioned 60 volt bulbs..If your crane has 60 volt bulbs, they are wired in series in pairs to create a 120 circuit.
    You failed to mention if anything was wrong with this board but I am assuming you havent had it hooked up.
    The biggest failure is the electrolytic caps go bad from the heat of the board being mounted on the cranes ceiling. Heat from the light fixtures and all.
    Resolder the transformer terminals and then replace all the caps for a 99% guaranteed repair.
    I would test it first before investing in the caps to see if it is functional at all.
    Ok to hook it up. Starting where you have the two white wires.
    That is the 110v AC in. Put the HOT on the left.
    So it is HOT 110 AC, then NEUTRAL 110 AC, then Common NEUTRAL 110 AC to all of your light strings, then the HOT #1, HOT #2, HOT #3 & HOT #4 (individually switched on and off by the TRIACs) go to each string of lights.
    Hope this helps.

Hello Good Sir,

I have a project when time allows as I would very much like to repair the chase lights sequence on the Mr Gattis Pizza Playland sign please. Next time you are up at the facility please note how the ones on the left side do not flash in the correct pattern or sequence. If know you are the man for the job.

#6 9 years ago

Thanks doughslingers, will do when time allows. Soon I hope. When I get back in town from my work trip I should be able to take a look at it. I appreciate the compliment. I am sure I can fix it.

Quoted from doughslingers:

Hello Good Sir,
    I have a project when time allows as I would very much like to repair the chase lights sequence on the Mr Gattis Pizza Playland sign please. Next time you are up at the facility please note how the ones on the left side do not flash in the correct pattern or sequence. If know you are the man for the job.

#7 9 years ago

Ok, so on Big Choice Cranes, the marquee light wire colors is as follows:
    110 volts AC neutral is RED
    110 volts AC Hot #1 is WHITE
    110 volts AC Hot #2 is BLUE
    110 volts AC Hot #3 is BROWN
    110 volts AC Hot #4 is BLACK

If your crane is missing one of these wires, then it is using a 3 circuit chaser and just don't worry as the missing wire is not needed.

Quoted from kurboman:

thanks Mrjamma that was lots of help can you explain the part about common neutral 110 ac to all the light strings I have the two white wires for the 110 ac hot and neutral 110 ac then I have 4 wires to the light strings red, blue,white and brown. so whats the common neutral your talking about ? Remember I have 60 volt bulbs also when I got this machine the board was hooked up but the marquee lights did not work and all but 2 bulbs were gone

5 years later
    #8 3 years ago

Have a the same board but my issue is hot #1 isn't working 2 and 3 are fues are fine board looks fine. Looks like it was re caped not long ago any ideas

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/big-choice-crane-pcb and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.