Big Buck Hunter (Thoughts?)

By tomdotcom

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

I have a line on getting what looks to be a nice BBH. I do like the theme, so that is NOT a turnoff. Any thoughts on rules, layout, etc?

I can get it for 3k Canadian or so...does have some cabinet flipper button wear...

Someone talk me out of it. Or into it....

#2 10 years ago

I have had mine for a little over a year. I like it a lot. If you like to play multiball you will be happy.

#3 10 years ago

Good game IMO. Lots of fun. Bit of a drain whore on the left outlane. Even better experience with shaker and sub. Shotgun blasts are awesome with that sub especially during bird mb.

Pros:
Fun rules,
fun mbs.
Elk is cool during 4-ball mb
Super JP shot is awesome and satisfying during buck mb

The cons:
Build quality is during the piss poor days like IM, AVA, and TRS.
One ramp (not a bad thing - but limits shot possibilities and flow)
Right loop shot to start modes is poorly designed and klunky.
Elk flipper sucks with the weighted figure on it; take it off and that elk flipper gets twice as interactive. Big improvement IMO.
Balls easily get trapped in the shooter lame on elk mb cause of the elks design. Not a big deal really, just an observation.

#4 10 years ago

It's better than TRS

#5 10 years ago

Ask AbacusMan.

#6 10 years ago

Thanks Eskaybee, I know it's not an A list game or anything. But it looks fun, and the price is decent...

#7 10 years ago

What do you mean by "elk flipper" Do you mean the elk bash toy? Take the elk right off of it??

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

What do you mean by "elk flipper" Do you mean the elk bash toy? Take the elk right off of it??

Yes. Makes it lighter so it senses the switch easier. Goes ape nuts in mb which adds to the fun.

Note: when I owned mine I adjusted the leaf switch and it worked better. But IMO, it works even better (and prob as intended) without the elk figure weighing it down.

#9 10 years ago

Perfect, thanks again for the quick review

#10 10 years ago

I missed my first one after it was gone so I traded for a second one. I love games where you can stack multiballs; there are three to stack here IF buck comes after bird and elk. it's crazy to have 3 minute long multiballs. I wouldn't want it as part of a small collection (I had three games when I sold it) but now that I carry six or more it's staying put for a while

#11 10 years ago

I got a line on 2 different ones. Both around 3k Canadian.

I realize it's not an A list title or anything, but it may be fun for 6months or a year, and then move it on for something else.

Appreciate all the comments so far...

Still can't make up my mind...

#12 10 years ago

$3K Canadian is a good price. I'd likely grab one at that price if HUO. I really enjoy the game. I've been collecting since 1998, so I've gone through all the A titles. Owned them or played them to death at friend's. I'm really appreciating the "odd" games now. Seems my taste are different than everyone else. I'm loving Avengers LE. I think Xmen is a great game. And I love BBH. I was hoping the price would tank based on everyone's almost universal hate of it, but that doesn't seem to have happened. $3K seems like a good price in today's market.

Cheers,
Duane

#13 10 years ago

One of Stern's best games . I have two of them . The price seems fair .

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from TwilightZone:

$3K Canadian is a good price. I'd likely grab one at that price if HUO. I really enjoy the game. I've been collecting since 1998, so I've gone through all the A titles. Owned them or played them to death at friend's. I'm really appreciating the "odd" games now. Seems my taste are different than everyone else. I'm loving Avengers LE. I think Xmen is a great game. And I love BBH. I was hoping the price would tank based on everyone's almost universal hate of it, but that doesn't seem to have happened. $3K seems like a good price in today's market.
Cheers,Duane

Thanks Duane, one of the ones I'm looking at is NOT home use only. It has a bit of cabinet flipper button wear and a bit of elk slot wear.

The other one I haven't got much info back yet...

#15 10 years ago

I would get it. Cool theme, fun sounds and some satisfying shots.

#16 10 years ago

Under rated pin in my opinion. I'd love to have one for less than $3k. Problem is I haven't seen one for close to that. It's a fun game but to me is only worth about $2.5k (i.e. about the same as other williams/bally) b/c list level pins. Same as avatar for me. Fun pin and worth having at the right price.

#17 10 years ago

Hmm sounds like I may just have to pull the trigger on one then

I hope the other guy gets back to me...and it's nicer...

Thx again everyone ...sounds like the game isn't a total dog...

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

Hmm sounds like I may just have to pull the trigger on one then
I hope the other guy gets back to me...and it's nicer...
Thx again everyone ...sounds like the game isn't a total dog...

Send the one you 'don't' take my way

#19 10 years ago

I've had mine for 3 years now. my wife will not let me sell it and it is a great change of pace from long ball time games, meaning it will get more plays.
Lets put it another way... the game has a lot of similarities to IM.

#20 10 years ago

I wouldn't sell mine for anywhere close to 3k so I would snatch one up. my was lightly routed (about $400) but super clean. I say go for it!

#21 10 years ago

2nd one sounds nicer. Working out a deal now. Who knows, maybe he is reading this thread haha...

#22 10 years ago

I think it is pretty meh.

I really LOVE the theme but the game play is not much fun for the long haul. If I could get a good deal on one I would pick it up for a short bit, but I would never seek it out.

#23 10 years ago

I like the theme and thought it would be a good game. I played the game and wanted to like it. But couldn't. Your results may vary.

Urge you to try it before you buy it.

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

Someone talk me out of it. Or into it....

ugg

#25 10 years ago

I bought one NIB back when IM was out. I am no hunter and am not a fan of the theme but game play wise I still like it much better than IM-- my opinion.
I eventually sold it to Edwin, but I will still defend it to this day. Its a very under appreciated game. I like the Pappi Stand up targets. You actually have to aim to hit them, (no, give me's) like most stand ups, nice rewards earned out of them. The Elk (third smash back flipper) is a nice feature, I wish this was incorporated in more games.

for 3G, it should hold its value, there are requests to buy it from time to time. I am curious on how it did on location.

Scott
Detroit Pinball

#26 10 years ago

Fun game and for 3k you can't really go wrong if you don't like it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Gov's Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 24.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
South Berwick, ME
$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/big-buck-hunter-thoughts and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.