14 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 14 years ago by jonnyo
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jonnyo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7 14 years ago

The flippers are typical Stern types, same as Simpsons, NBA, CSI, Lord of the Rings, etc. I initially didn't like the Stern feel, as it's both different and, at first flip, a little "chintzy" compared to 90s bally and williams games. However, a few titles have grown on me, like simpsons and CSI, and now I really don't notice the feel too much anymore.

On the other hand, I like the powder coat of the new sterns on the lockdown bar. Not visually as nice but plays a lot tighter.

As for the game, I loved BBH at first. However, after around 30 dollars spread over a few visits, I stopped loving it. Now, I think it's just okay. Don't get me wrong, the gameplay is quite fun, but between the very random play and the risky shots which don't register half the time, it's definitely a game for flailers/slappers. Since I'm mainly a "control" player, the payoff of learning the game and trying to get better just isn't there for me.

The buck has different sensitivity levels and the default factory setting is 'hard'. This is a major software flaw, in my opinion. I have seen MANY players walk away from this game (some even mid-game!) because the buck wasn't registering hits. You need to hit it hard and on the front third of the buck. No glancing shots. Most back hands won't have enough power either. Only a direct shot. And EVEN THEN, you will get around 30% of shots not registering. That's unacceptable to me. The game might as well have a sign on it that says "insert extra coin to actually have your shots count".

And what happens when the playfield gets dirty or the flippers start to lose a little strength over time? The game will go from a quarter eater to being totally unplayable.

I haven't even talked about the ram kicker or the bird stop post which send the ball SDTM around 20% of the time. Great! You made the shot! Your reward? Lose the ball.

Like I said, pretty fun but a little too slaptastic for my tastes.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
South Berwick, ME
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Gov's Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jonnyo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/big-buck-hunter-is-great?tu=jonnyo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.