• 3 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Edenecho
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

Hi!
I have a Big Buck Hunter which plays relatively well, but there seems to maybe be some strange behaviour on the Elk diverter (which is in fact a flipper bat and flipper mech). The flipper works smooth when activated manually, the eos seems good and in switch test the eos switch is triggered when the bat is opened and then returns.

it works as it should for 90-95% of the time, but it happens once in a while that it behaves wierd and I dont understand why.

1. When ELK hurryup is lit, and the left orbit is shot, sometimes the elk bat opens (as it should) but then immediately goes back before the ball reaches around and enters it. It starts the multiball despite, but it should not close at that time.

2. Some times during the multiball, the elk jackpot is lit (insert in front of elk diverter) but the elk diverter is not out, so it is impossible to score the jackpot.

I cant understand why this would happen, cause mechanically it works good, the eos is working as intended, it almost seems like some bug with the logic where it does not recognize that the eos switch is closed. If it is closed it means that the elk is not out, so then it should activate the elk flipper so the eos is open and therefore, the elk is out. This typically only happens or is noticed in tournaments with highly skilled players complaining about it.

Anyone have any ideas or thoughts on what would cause the above behaviour?
It is a very simple mech and logic.

Thanks!
Morten

#2 1 year ago

Interesting.

So... intermittent coil action. I would start by carefully examining the terminals of the coil. You are looking at the tiny magnet wires. Any broken connections? Arcing?

I THINK that replacing the EOS is what is going to resolve this. Certainly for earlier games with Normally Closed End of Stroke switches they can be very intermittent, and show absolutely no indication of malfunction, but a replacement EOS resolves the problem.

Yeah, replace and carefully adjust the EOS switch, carefully look at connectors and coil wires, and let us know what you find.

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from PinRetail:

Interesting.
So... intermittent coil action. I would start by carefully examining the terminals of the coil. You are looking at the tiny magnet wires. Any broken connections? Arcing?
I THINK that replacing the EOS is what is going to resolve this. Certainly for earlier games with Normally Closed End of Stroke switches they can be very intermittent, and show absolutely no indication of malfunction, but a replacement EOS resolves the problem.
Yeah, replace and carefully adjust the EOS switch, carefully look at connectors and coil wires, and let us know what you find.

Interesting indeed. A part of the coil plastic where one lug is, was broken off, so it was hanging on by just the thin wire, but that I replaced with a brand new coil. I adjusted the EOS a little bit, but it still seems to happen now and then. Maybe I might replace the EOS just to have done it.

But yeah there does not seem to be much more to it, to adjust, really :s

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Gov's Mods

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
South Berwick, ME
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/big-buck-hunter-elk-diverter-logic-behaviour-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.