15310655281621717668308 (resized).jpg
1531065502057818663393 (resized).jpg
1531064117083-1162654243 (resized).jpg
20180708_073042 (resized).jpg
20180708_073107 (resized).jpg
20180708_073421 (resized).jpg
0Big-Brave-Work-16 (resized).jpg
20180707_085107 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rolf_martin_062.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#29 5 years ago

Hi Tomass +
I allow myself to write to Your post-26 (identifying switches on a relay).
In the schematics is a list of relays used - example: "3E G A9735 AG. 4A, IB, 3C 'G-Sequence-Relay' " means the Coil of the G-Relay is shown in the schematics at "3E" and the relay has four switches of type "A" - one switch of type "B" - three switches of type "C".
Type-A is "Normally-Open-Switch (closing when the relay actuates)"
Type-B is "Normally-Closed-Switch (opening when the relay actuates)"
Type-C is "three-bladed Make-and-Brake-Switch - middle blade is moved when the relay actuates".
You are looking (post-25 and -26) for Type-B switch on the BX-Relay --- the list of relays in the schematics says: "14E BX 2A, 1B" - only ONE of the switches is an Normally-Closed Switch. Greetings Rolf

#33 5 years ago

Hi tomass
I would like to support HowardR and @MarkG. Schematics are drawn abstract - they do not show the "real" wiring in the pin. Gottlieb shows in the schematics no Jones-Plugs. I look at the JPG in post-3 and post-25. Not visible / a bit above the JPG is the Coil on L-1000-Point-Relay - also "Switch on LB-Double-Bonus-Relay".
I would like to learn where in the pin the interesting stuff is mounted - "MP is Mech-Panel in the Cabinet, BB is in the Backbox, PF is on the Playfield".
Score-Motor is on MP
LB-Relay is on MP
I assume AX-Relay is on MP ?
I assume BX-Relay is on MP ?
I assume L-Relay is on BB ?
I assume the Vari-Target is on PF ?
I assume Bonus-Unit is on PF ?
D-Relay is on ?
A-Relay is on ?

I do not like meters to measure Ohms / continuity - I like the SteveFury Test-Light: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/reading-gottlieb-schematics#post-2634425 --- two car-bulbs of 12Volt put one behind the other to sum up to 24Volt. On top of my JPG I also show the Test-Light.
To clip-on the Test-Light or an Jumper-Wire: Some places are hard to get at - no room for the gator-clips --- HowardR once came up with a good help --- a "Safety Pin". Instead of clipping-on at the "Solder-Lug at the hard to get at place": The wire soldered-on runs away - 1 or 2 or 3 inches away from the Solder-Lug we push-in the Safety pin - almost parallel to the wire - the tip of the Safety Pin gets through the "fabric-insulation of the wire" - the tip of the Safety Pin has good contact to the metal-wire inside the fabric-insulation --- AND what we want to clip-on: We clip-on at the Safety Pin. (This procedure is tested and it works).
In the JPG I show from the manual "Surf Champ": In position "Motor-1C" there are mounted FIVE Switches in an Switchstack --- tomass: Do You have the manual and can show the page with the Motor-Switches - a big help to find the switches to check.
In the JPG I show the drawing of an Vari-Target --- in the schematics are wires of different colors - do You recognize wire-colors on wires on the Vari-Target in Your pin ?
Do You have some Jumper-Wires (with Gator-Clips) ? Greetings Rolf

0Big-Brave-Work-16 (resized).jpg0Big-Brave-Work-16 (resized).jpg
#39 5 years ago

Hi Tomass, MarkG +
"chiming in" is always problematic. I show the result - the Score-Motor-Switches on Big Brave --- the ones of interest have text "vari-target score control switch".

The JPGs in post-3 and post-25 show on the left "pulling D-Relay" and on the right "motor-1A does (when the motor makes a turn of 120 degrees) close the switch FIVE times. The other four motor-switches - every one of them opens at a time when motor-1A closes - suppressing flow of current --- so only the one / first closing of motor-1A is allowed to reach "Switch on pulling D-Relay".
Tomass gets no points when the Vari-Target is actuated --- but "at max" he gets the five bonus.
The first thing I woud check is the area (wires and switches) wire-YEL+BLK to motor-3C, this switch, wire-BL-OR to "Switch on BX-Relay" - wire-BL-OR to "6th. position Vari-Target". Greetings Rolf

0Big-Brave-pinside-SCM-SwS (resized).jpg0Big-Brave-pinside-SCM-SwS (resized).jpg
#45 5 years ago

Hi MarkG
the following I have written "not knowing Your post-44". So the following Text may not fit well into the flux of the topic.

Hi Tomass
Gottlieb made a "confusing for us" wiring - see the top of the JPG - the D-Relay is activated and we get 500 points - but in the upper half of the JPG. The ONE bonus (when D-Relay is activated): We get on the lower part of the JPG - using the fact that the Vari-Target is NOT activated. So the motor turns andthe "many motor-switches" actuate - they let pass exactly "the very first closing on motor-1A".

Further confusing - when we activate the Vari-Target - "the many motor-switches" are used to get us 1000 or 2000 or 3000 or 4000 or 5000 points. And the getting of five bonus when the Vari-Target is hit "to the max": Is made through a closing switch on the Vari-Target (6th. Pos. Vari-Target) bypassing the "many motor-switches". Greetings Rolf

0Big-Brave-pinside-500-Points-Save (resized).jpg0Big-Brave-pinside-500-Points-Save (resized).jpg
#50 5 years ago

Hi Tomass
each coil in the pin is an energy-consumer --- the Test-Light is also an energy-consumer. I toggle-off the pin, unplug the main power cord (Safety Reasons) - I establish (see the JPG) "my red-1 Wiring" - permanent hooked-on. Then I plug-in and turn on and start a game - what do I expect - what do I get: Most likely FIVE TIMES the Test-Light will light up" - I toggle-off the pin, unplug the main power cord (Safety Reasons) - I establish (see the JPG) "my red-1 Wiring" - permanent hooked-on. Then I plug-in and turn on and start a game - what do I expect - what do I get: Most likely FIVE TIMES the Test-Light will light up" - but I may have the sometimes fault.

So work Your way through --- HowardR 's trick with the Safety pin inserted into a wire to an solder-lug: Score-Motor-Switches are hard to get to.
By the way - "My red-1 at motor-1a" is counting inside out the THIRD switch (see it in the List in the JPG in post-39).

It is late in Switzerland - maybe I get an "Summer-Influenza". Greetings Rolf

0Big-Brave-pinside-500-Points-Second (resized).jpg0Big-Brave-pinside-500-Points-Second (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Grand Rapids, MI
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rolf_martin_062.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/big-brave-bonus-problems?tu=rolf_martin_062 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.