Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png

#1 3 years ago

Hi all

my issue is:
When I want to start a new game, the 10digit reel for Player 1 does not reset to 0.
The issue started slowly. It looked like it was sticking and turned over slowly, but over time got worse. Now, it does not move at all.

Because of this the motor keeps running and the game won't start. If I reset the reel to 0 manually, I can start a game for 1 or 2 players. It plays fine, all numbers including the 10 digit reel work absolutely fine during the game and score without a hick up. When the game is over and we press the start button to reset it, the 10digit reel (Player 1) won't reset to start a game again (all others work fine).

I checked the reel, compared every detail to the working ones, took it apart and cleaned connectors. I checked as many wires as I could see. I read through forums and repair guides and checked what was mentioned in there, but cannot find the answer to this problem.
I haven't got the schematics and won't be able to get hold of them for while, because I am based in NZ. Unless someone can share theirs digitally with me.

Any help would be great. I signed up for the EMpinball repair clinic, but have friends over this weekend and am hoping to get it going before the clinic on Sun (NZ time).

Cheers.
Markus

#2 3 years ago

Take a closer look at the switches on the 10's digits, compare the make/break positions with the player 2 10's reel. I am going to assume this is only a problem on player one, not both players.

If both players , report back.

#3 3 years ago

The issue is likely in the reset relay. I have the four player and the reset relays on that are Z1 and Z2. I'm assuming this game only has one reset relay. If the game scores correctly during play but doesn't reset properly, that's the first place to start.

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from MarkusDipper:

When I want to start a new game, the 10digit reel for Player 1 does not reset to 0.

Likely your '0' pos. sw. Read more here: http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index2.htm#reels

#5 3 years ago

I don't have the schematic for BB, but if the problem is only with the reset function of one reel on one player and you have ruled out any mechanical issues with the reel itself turning freely, then barring any wiring issues (i.e. broken wire), the issue can only lie with what Gottlieb calls "1st ten's runout" switch (some call it a zero-position switch) or with a switch in the Player unit (might be called P3A?). Both of those switches must be clean and adjusted properly and he wires securely soldered on (i.e. conducting current when closed) for the reset to function and complete.

Someone with a schematic would be able to tell you wire colors so that you could verify which switches you needed to focus on.

#6 3 years ago

Here are the circuit and switches currieddog and Runbikeskilee referred to.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#7 3 years ago

Thank you all for your responses.
Runbikeskilee and HowardR thank you for the descriptions. You were spot on. The connector was a bit stuck and dirty. we cleaned it, then had bend it open a little too much, but figured it out when measuring the (resistance, I think). Re adjusted it and it was working fine.
It is going now, so thanks again for pointing us in the right direction. Learned lots.

Cheers.
Markus

#8 3 years ago

Great that you got it resolved just in time for your visit from friends!

I see you live in Hastings? That's just a bit south of Napier, isn't it? I spent an enjoyable week of leave at Taupo in the previous decade, with side trips to Napier, wine country, and even fit in a day of spring skiing at Whakapapa, before moving on to tour South Island. Very much enjoyed the experience and the people I met. Is there a lot of pinball interest in your area?

Lee

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Washington, KY
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball
Decals
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist
Decals
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/big-brave-10-digit-doesn-t-reset-to-0-but-works-in-gameplay?hl=runbikeskilee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.