(Topic ID: 224247)

Big Black Egg Grill - $125 (or $99) Clearance @ Aldi

By vid1900

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

BBQ 25¢ (resized).PNG
    IMG_20181205_113859791 (resized).jpg
    ba189aba-0079-40d5-a403-95cf2c318dd8_1.a395c3cd7baea158c2dfea08a53647e3 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20180921_203316105 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180921_201931164 (resized).jpg
    75632E8D-726B-4296-AF61-A05402715CFC (resized).jpeg
    53B5F1E5-A1C9-4980-9226-20E6BD686E33 (resized).jpeg
    88EDAA01-3518-4237-BD98-EBF45D770F6D (resized).jpeg
    A6F80EB2-621E-4FAE-9EED-5DBBE2271B14 (resized).jpeg
    tommys dog (resized).jpg
    don_cherry (resized).jpg
    97EC87E1-B9F5-42AC-84A9-3D26C258FDE9 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8826 (resized).jpg
    IMG_8828 (resized).jpg
    bf85573302b126c488e8adb7de37e2f2 (resized).jpg
    kingsford-charcoal-briquettes-4460031239-64_1000 (resized).jpg
    There are 108 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 5 years ago

Aldi has the Char-Broil Kamander grills on clearance this week for $125 (and my boy tells me that the Aldi in the bad part of town has them for $99)

After my Big Green Egg got stolen (you know the guy who reads the meter on your house gets $5 for each BGE he reports to his friends), everyone said that the Kamander was easier to adjust the temps, and it came with wheels, ash pan, shelves, drip pan - all the stuff that costs extra with the BGE.

So if you want an Egg grill that is so insulated that you can use the same charcoal 3 times, it's a no brainer.

IMG_20180828_154711711 (resized).jpgIMG_20180828_154711711 (resized).jpgIMG_20180828_154718572_BURST000_COVER_TOP (resized).jpgIMG_20180828_154718572_BURST000_COVER_TOP (resized).jpgIMG_20180828_161753100 (resized).jpgIMG_20180828_161753100 (resized).jpg
    #2 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

So if you want an Egg grill that is so insulated that you can use the same charcoal 3 times, it's a no brainer

How does one do that? Choke off the air?

#3 5 years ago
    Quoted from BoJo:

How does one do that? Choke off the air?

Let's say you are smoking a brisket.

You get your temp up to 180* with the dampers @ 5 (it's going to keep rising a bit, so don't overshoot), then you set the two dampers at roughly 1.5

This will restrict the oxygen flow-through, so the temp will only get to about 220*, and make the coals last nearly forever.

-

OTOH, if you are having a backyard pizza party, you set both dampers on 4.5 and that will give you 800* for two minute crispy pizzas.

It's blows people's minds how fast you can shovel out the pies.

Of course, this burns through the wood faster, so you might only get a few hours before having to add more wood/charcoal.

#4 5 years ago

Here is a talkative guy showing how to do the pizzas

#5 5 years ago

Not out of work for another hour, hope my local Aldi has some.

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Aldi has the Char-Broil Kamander grills on clearance this week for $125

This is a smoking deal... Literally!

Thanks for posting

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from Tsskinne:

Not out of work for another hour, hope my local Aldi has some.

Bring a big vehicle.

They weigh 125 lbs, and are in a really big box.

#8 5 years ago

Best steaks ever! I get mine to 700-800 degrees - just like the steakhouses do it.

#9 5 years ago

Damn none in my town

#10 5 years ago

I got an Akorn grill last spring. I was hesitant to take the 1k+ dive into an egg. I'm gonna have to fire mine up this weekend some Vid guy started talking about bbq on the Wal-Mart hobbit sized video machine. So time to get this springs pig ribs out of the freezer. Sounds like a good labor day.
    If you never used a kamado grill here is your chance to get in without spending enough money for an other S S pinball machine. I'm gonna check the Sevierville Aldi on lunch break, the wife will check Morristown Aldi for stock on these.
    Also got to pick up another Aldi product to cook the ribs with. They got this stuff called Imperium. A surprisingly good beer.

#11 5 years ago

If this is a pizza thread. Roccbox is what you want. Big Green egg is does just about everything else.

#12 5 years ago

Char Broil products are junk. They barely last five years. Perfect Aldi's or Big Lots/Odd Lots merchandise.

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

If this is a pizza thread. Roccbox is what you want.

Considering that is 4x the cost of this I would hope so.

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from BoJo:

Considering that is 4x the cost of this I would hope so.

It is.

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Char Broil products are junk. They barely last five years.

I'm a math person.

My Big Green Egg, with the optional wheels, drip pan, side table, ect cost me $1200

My Big Black Egg, with all the same "included options" was $125

Both make exactly the same food.

So if the Black Egg lasts 5 years, and then I buy another, I'll hit the $1200 break-even point in only 48 years.

#16 5 years ago

At least you don't have to worry about anyone stealing it.

#17 5 years ago

I’d be all over this if there was an Aldi near me.

#18 5 years ago

I've got a Kamado grill I got 6 years ago and love it. The best for set it and forget it long cooks.

#19 5 years ago

Sadly my Aldi doesn't have the same deal.
    I have a Char Broil grill and it's held up well. My brother in law has had one forever. Still in good shape for a grill that's outside.

#20 5 years ago

Just got back from my Aldi.
    No luck here
    Seems like a great deal.

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from insaneinthedrain:

Just got back from my Aldi.
    No luck here
    Seems like a great deal.

Ditto.

I did load up on beef jerky, some of the awesome chicken salad, some frozen shrimp, some fruit juice, organic agave nectar for my daily iced tea and a few other items. Aldi definitely has great food at a great price. Once you get over the initial shock that its not like the other supermarkets, Aldi is awesome.

#22 5 years ago

You fucking cheapskates.....go BIG or go home!

https://komodokamado.com/

You think pins are expensive.....

Or heavy.....the biggest one weighs 3/4 OF A TON.

#23 5 years ago
    Quoted from dsuperbee:

You fucking cheapskates.....go BIG or go home!
    https://komodokamado.com/
    You think pins are expensive.....
    Or heavy.....the biggest one weighs 3/4 OF A TON.

For $10,000 I should not have to bend down to the floor to adjust the damper!

That thing is crazy.

16991755_1370643819659684_6057749139397150705_o (resized).jpg16991755_1370643819659684_6057749139397150705_o (resized).jpg
    #24 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

That thing is crazy.[quoted image]

Imagine having to MOVE that thing.

#25 5 years ago
    Quoted from dsuperbee:

Imagine having to MOVE that thing.

It would never get stolen

#26 5 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

If this is a pizza thread. Roccbox is what you want. Big Green egg is does just about everything else.

Nah, Blackstone pizza oven

#27 5 years ago

This is a good deal. I’m usually the kind of guy that believes you should buy a good quality product first time around, but sometimes it just makes sense to get something cheap.

I’ve had my Char-Broil smoker for at least 10+ years now. We also probably bought it at Aldi or Walmart for $100, and it looks like a rusty black poorly built trash can turned on it’s side, But it smokes a mean brisket, and tasty ribs. All that money I saved from not something high end, I put right into piles upon piles perfectly smoked meat.

Thanks for the heads up on the deal, Mr. Vid! I may have to check this one out.

#28 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Look what happened to his hair when he opened the lid? That thing's nuts.

#29 5 years ago

is this what would have become of bob ross had he not been a good painter?

#30 5 years ago

I had been looking at a grill/pizza oven combo but may stop at our Aldi's to see what is in stock. This could be a quick and easy alternative.

First the 4K video camera now a grill, thanks for the tips Vid! Who needs to wait for the sale flyer in the mail when all the good stuff is posted to Pinside!

#31 5 years ago

I just called the phone number listed for my local Aldi....I got a National recorded message saying “Aldi does not publish location phone numbers due to their streamlined staffing model to keep prices low”..... interesting. I guess I gotta drive over there now

I hope this isn’t just some Black Friday marketing scheme...like wal mart ads saying “$50 60 inch 4K TV” and only 2 stocked per store, just to drive shoppers in the door

#32 5 years ago

Just went to my local Aldi...said they sold out of those over a month ago. Ugh!

#33 5 years ago

They were on sale a month ago for $250, and that was a great price.

There were still 3 left + display model at my closest Aldi Tuesday, I may have to go buy them all and bring them to Expo for the cool kids. $135 w/ tax

#34 5 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

This is a good deal. I’m usually the kind of guy that believes you should buy a good quality product first time around, but sometimes it just makes sense to get something cheap.
    I’ve had my Char-Broil smoker for at least 10+ years now. We also probably bought it at Aldi or Walmart for $100, and it looks like a rusty black poorly built trash can turned on it’s side, But it smokes a mean brisket, and tasty ribs. All that money I saved from not something high end, I put right into piles upon piles perfectly smoked meat.
    Thanks for the heads up on the deal, Mr. Vid! I may have to check this one out.

A big problem with some of the cheaper models is the thin metal used, which insulates little, and you burn through much more fuel than more expensive models that used thicker metal or ceramics. My first smoker was a cheap 70 buck vertical and the metal was super thin. It did the job well, but it burned more wood and or lump coal in one smoke than my Kamado or new Dyna Glow vertical does in 3 smokes. So yeah, unit may cost less, but you spend more in fuel.

#35 5 years ago
    Quoted from radium:

I once met Steve at the airport.

I told him that I always though his hair was a wig, but that in person there was no doubt it was real.

He laughed and said that if he ever dies, his hair can continue the show.

unnamed (resized).jpgunnamed (resized).jpg
    #36 5 years ago
    Quoted from radium:

Quoted from vid1900:

I thought that was you in the pic Vid.

#37 5 years ago

HD has Kingsford 100% natural charcoal, 2 bags for $10 this weekend.

Don't ever buy the junk charcoal that has chemicals in it.

Just light it with the same Heat Gun you use to remove Mylar (but turn it up to high)

Lump charcoal is good too, and you can usually get more burns from it.
    kingsford-charcoal-briquettes-4460031239-64_1000 (resized).jpgkingsford-charcoal-briquettes-4460031239-64_1000 (resized).jpg

#38 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

HD has Kingsford 100% natural charcoal, 2 bags for $10 this weekend.
    Don't ever buy the junk charcoal that has chemicals in it.
    Lump charcoal is good too, but it burns out faster.[quoted image]

We have a cash n carry near us that sells 40lb bags of lump charcoal for 14 bucks. In my experience the lump charcoal last much longer than briquettes ever do. 40lbs will also last you a VERY long time

#39 5 years ago
    Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

I just called the phone number listed for my local Aldi....I got a National recorded message saying “Aldi does not publish location phone numbers due to their streamlined staffing model to keep prices low”..... interesting. I guess I gotta drive over there now

One Aldi can call the surrounding Aldi stores for you to check stock, but you can't call an Aldi yourself.

#40 5 years ago
    Quoted from dsuperbee:

We have a cash n carry near us that sells 40lb bags of lump charcoal for 14 bucks. In my experience the lump charcoal last much longer than briquettes ever do. 40lbs will also last you a VERY long time

40lbs for 14 is an amazing deal.

Is "cash n carry" a grocery store, food warehouse, discount store? Link?

#41 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

40lbs for 14 is an amazing deal.
    Is "cash n carry" a grocery store, food warehouse, discount store? Link?

It's a wholesale food place, public welcome.
    Oops, it's now called smart food service:

https://www.smartfoodservice.com

#42 5 years ago

https://www.smartfoodservice.com/search/fullsearch/charcoal/

LAZZARI CHARCOAL MESQUITE
    Aisle 16

$15.08 Unit 40 lb.

#43 5 years ago

been to a couple and a buddy has as well. prices are different per store. have seen them from 125-180 so far. going to head to the ghetto of Detroit to see if we can find the one for 99

#44 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Insane

#45 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I once met Steve at the airport.
    I told him that I always though his hair was a wig, but that in person there was no doubt it was real.
    He laughed and said that if he ever dies, his hair can continue the show.[quoted image]

Used to watch him all the time. 3 different shows.

#46 5 years ago

Never had a BGE but I got the knock off for Christmas. I think it works well for the price. I dont think it will last as long but they are cheap. I also think it has more room because it doesn’t have all the ceramics inside. 99 is definitely worth the money. I would buy another one for that

#47 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bax1:

been to a couple and a buddy has as well. prices are different per store. have seen them from 125-180 so far. going to head to the ghetto of Detroit to see if we can find the one for 99

It will probably cost you more in ammo than the $25 savings.......

#48 5 years ago

lol very true. but have to do down that way for work tomorrow so will still check it out.

#49 5 years ago
    Quoted from Squeakman:

I thought that was you in the pic Vid.

If I owned that, I'd probably sleep in during the day.

#50 5 years ago

No luck here in North Central Ohio -- at least in my area.
    The lady that works there and brings her dogs to my vet clinic came running over to ask pet related questions (one of the reasons I avoid going out in public) so I took the liberty of asking about the grills. She said if they were there they likely sold out last week. Maybe there is some sort of time zone difference between here and you Vid. . . or more people are gung ho for their grills here in 'Murica.

There are 108 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/big-black-egg-grill-125-or-99-clearance-aldi?hl=misterschu and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.