It turned out to be the EOS switches and probably to a smaller extent the flipper angles (thanks for the reminder crlush as I looked at my flippers and thought they were not set low enough so I moved them down about a full 1/4" each). Notice that the flippers now do not line up with the ball guides but are at a slight obtuse angle to them.
I removed the switches in the first image below (they came with the Bally flipper rebuild kit but there was a service bulletin that came out from Bally in 1989 to replace them) and replaced them with the newer ones along with a capacitor on each.
Not sure I needed to but I also heat shrink wrapped the part of the flipper mech that contacts the new switches as it was bare before as the old switch had a plastic insulator built into the switch itself. Some might confirm for me that this was necessary - seemed a good idea
I can now complete both the left and right orbits! Still a tough shot but a clean one goes all the way around. I've got new cab switches coming and will replace those as well as mine are rough.