Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

replay_unit (resized).jpg
knocker_stuck_plunger (resized).jpg
1000_relay (resized).jpg
adjustable_features (resized).jpg
knocker_chimes_jones_plug (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

I've been diligently reading as many posts (and possible solutions) for the last couple of weeks to become more versed in EM repair.

I am a visual learner (as opposed to text), so referencing a schematic just doesn't sink in as effectively as a write up with pictures.

I am having a couple problems that others have detailed in their posts from similar era pins. I can post pics of my schematic, the affected areas, and anything else a tech needs. If a tech can edit my pics and give an explanation, I become educated and grateful.

Problem 1: 1000 (and 10000) score reel stays at zero during play. Chimes work.
Problem 2: Knocker does not knock when it should (matching last 2 digits, getting in out hole when it is lit red, etc)
Problem 3: Unable to find "drum" unit on my Williams Big Ben

#2 6 years ago

check the relays for 1000 scoring? what happens to the hundreds wheel?

#3 6 years ago

Relays in the back box activate chimes and scoring reels. 10's and 100's work fine on both accounts. 1000 relay only brings on the chime. One member recommended checking the drum unit. I need to know where this is on my machine as I haven't seen it in my hours of inspection time.

#4 6 years ago

Scoring reels magically started working. I did nothing, so whatever grime/slime/barrier to electricity flowing was there for the last 3 months has been worn through.

Could just be good karma after all the hours and positive suggestions.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from daveyb98126:

Problem 1: 1000 (and 10000) score reel stays at zero during play. Chimes work.

Quoted from daveyb98126:

Scoring reels magically started working. I did nothing, so whatever grime/slime/barrier to electricity flowing was there for the last 3 months has been worn through.

For future reference when it happens again, check the 1000 Relay in the backbox. The 1000 Relay is the third to the right of the leftmost Relay in the bottom left of the backbox. One of the switches on the 1000 Relay activates the 1000 Point Chime Solenoid and one activates the 1000 point Score Reel Solenoid. The switch second to the right of the leftmost switch in the bottom set of switches - the one with in the yellow circle - is the one that activates the 1000 point Score Reel Solenoid. Cleaning and adjusting that switch will likely solve your problem.

1000_relay (resized).jpg1000_relay (resized).jpg

Quoted from daveyb98126:

Problem 2: Knocker does not knock when it should (matching last 2 digits, getting in out hole when it is lit red, etc)

First, check if the operator adjustable features in the backbox are set properly. The Play Adj. Jack should be set to 'Credit" and the Number Match Adj. should be set to 'On.'

adjustable_features (resized).jpgadjustable_features (resized).jpg

Second, check to be sure that the Knocker's Jones Plug is plugged in correctly. Note that the Chime Unit is NOT plugged in for this picture.

knocker_chimes_jones_plug (resized).jpgknocker_chimes_jones_plug (resized).jpg

Then check to make sure that the Knocker wires are not loose. It just so happens that the Plunger is stuck 'up' on my Big Ben's Knocker - another problem that will keep it from properly knocking. All you will hear is a buzzing sound when the plunger is not in the 'down' position.

knocker_stuck_plunger (resized).jpgknocker_stuck_plunger (resized).jpg

If the Knocker still is not knocking, turn the game on and start a game. Using an insulated tool so you won't get shocked, close the EOS, End of Stroke, switch for the Step-Up Solenoid. Closing the EOS switch should activate the Knocker Unit Solenoid. If it doesn't close when the Step-Up solenoid is activated, adjust the switch. Also, clean the contacts while you are working on it.

replay_unit (resized).jpgreplay_unit (resized).jpg

Quoted from daveyb98126:

Problem 3: Unable to find "drum" unit on my Williams Big Ben

The 'Drum Unit' is AKA the Score Reel Unit. Check here for a picture: http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/D-7251

#6 6 years ago

Awesome help. Thank you. I'll give it a try.

1 month later
#7 6 years ago

Hello all. I just started working on a Big Ben also, and sometimes, my machine does the exact same thing. The other times, it all resets, but the ball never ejects out. Thanks for the above information, it taught me a lot. I'm going to start a new post about my start up issues.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.98
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/big-ben-quirks-and-fixes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.