Dear Lloyd

Our resident pinball guru Lloyd Olsen answers Pinside readers questions!

Edit this
Big Ben Behave Badly

Letter received on Monday May 4th 2020.

Monday May 4th 2020

I'm' new to owning my own machine and have run into a few issues with the afore mentioned machine. Picked it up as a fully working machine for $500. It did launch balls and score but, fully functional was a bit of a stretch. Buy a forty five year old electro mechanical device for $500 and you can expect to operate as such I guess.

The machine is set in extra ball mode and does not score one when proper tally's show on counter board. Once I heard the "knock" sound like is given for a extra credit game, but failed to look to see if a n extra ball was credited.

More importantly, about every 15 game plays or so, the machine freezes. If you gently rock one of the cams on the scoring motor, the unit resets and all is well again. In addition, occasionally the score board starts running on it's own and keeps going and turning over without stopping. While this is gong on the scoring motor and the cam shafts keep spinning. If I shut the machine off and turn it back on it starts spinning again. Sometimes the score board stops and the scoring motor continues.

If I remove the glass and open the unit/prop the playing field up, and then turn the machine on, the

problem goes away and game function well again.

I am new to internal workings of these devices but, but was a shop teacher 37 years. I am fairly mechanically inclined. I also have the machines wiring diagram and slowly finding my way around.

I would appreciate any incites of what and where to check. I would like this old machine to stand tall again for another 45 years.

Best Regards,

Bigger Ben

Hello Bigger Ben

I'm not sure I can pin point to one thing. I would follow the playfield wiring harness down and be sure it has a little slack going up and down, not pulling or stretching on something.

The score reel issue, I'd go over the leaf blade switches and be sure they make and break right, and the points are clean.

The cam you rock, again, go over any leaf blade switches it moves and be sure they are clean.

I would also clean and reseat your jones plugs. And any leaf blade switch you have to clean twice, the points that make contact, may not be anchored on the leaf blade good, you'd have to pound them down again like a rivet.

I hope this helps you,

LTG : )

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/big-ben-behave-badly and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.