Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

46141576412_0_BG[1].jpg
P6300056.JPG
Dayhuff_BBB_007[1].jpg
bbb_prices.jpg
#1 10 years ago

14 machines made! wow! wish I could play one.

Whats even more impressive is that 57 pinsiders currently have one of the 14 in their collection.

Feeling confused

#2 10 years ago

there are approx 200 reproductions.

#3 10 years ago

Big Bang Bar was reproduced by Gene Cunningham / Illinois Pinball.

I believe it was a botique run of less than 100 units.

The 14 listed on pinside are for "true capcom prototypes". The count does not include the reproduction run.

#4 10 years ago

Check IPDB...

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

there are approx 200 reproductions.

got it. i guess there isn't that version available on pinside? thanks for the insight

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

Check IPDB...

also says 14

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from TurboBengal:

Whats even more impressive is that 57 pinsiders currently have one of the 14 in their collection.

Feeling confused

Here's the link with details about the IPB production run (191 units):
http://ipdb.org/search.pl?any=big+bang+bar&search=Search+Database&searchtype=quick#5244

The IPB production version is the one most Pinside owners have.

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from TurboBengal:

i guess there isn't that version available on pinside?

it's the same game. There is no distinction between a prototype and production games for any title. In this case, CapCom did not make production, someone else did. but they're considered the same.

#9 10 years ago

also says 14

// Error: Image 135844 not found //

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from TurboBengal:

Feeling confused

come to SS Billiards and play an ORIGINAL one - visit LTG and Prada
Also MM, WOZ, and many other awesome games

Address: 732 11th Ave S, Hopkins, MN 55343
Phone:(952) 938-9259
Hours: 12:00 pm – 12:00 am

Google maps:
https://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=732+11th+Avenue+South++Hopkins,+MN+55343&aq=&sll=44.731502,-92.856172&sspn=0.092195,0.154324&vpsrc=0&t=h&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=732+11th+Ave+S,+Hopkins,+Hennepin+County,+Minnesota+55343&z=16&iwloc=A

#11 10 years ago

I've played an original BBB and owned a "Production" BBB and I liked the "Production" better. Probably because it was newer and felt crisp.

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from awarner:

I've played an original BBB and owned a "Production" BBB and I liked the "Production" better. Probably because it was newer and felt crisp.

The one at SS billiards is flawless. Worth the trip (as LTG is of course)

#13 10 years ago

I have played 2 originals and 4 of the reproductions. With the exception of one of the originals that was dirty, unshopped, and had the coil power turned down so low that ramp shots could not be made, they play the same to me.

FWIW, just like brand new games the repros all had some sort of small issue. One friend's game had a couple of flakey switches, and another was set to sell his due to really poor pop bumper action. (Ended up using DE spoons in the pop bumper mechs, and it solved the issue.)

I love how the game looks, but the gameplay is not my thing. I consider myself lucky to have friends who will let me play theirs when I feel the need!

1 week later
#14 10 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

The one at SS billiards is flawless. Worth the trip (as LTG is of course)

Going there today to check it out!

#15 10 years ago

There is one of the originals at Flippers arcade on the Outer Banks of NC, GREAT pinball place with a bunch of LE's...

#16 10 years ago

Does anyone know if the BBB that John Dayhuff has is an original or a reproduction model?

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

and another was set to sell his due to really poor pop bumper action. (Ended up using DE spoons in the pop bumper mechs, and it solved the issue.)

Too bad your friend didn't know how to adjust the sensitivity of his pop bumpers and sold a rare game for no reason.

I had to adjust the sensitivity of my jets and tweak a few switches on mine as well. No big deal.

I also played Gene's original next to a repro and thought that the repro felt the same, if not, a bit more solid and robust.

Watch the Pins & Vids BBB documentary (Episode III) and you will see how the repros were actually made better and stronger than the originals.

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from TurboBengal:

i guess there isn't that version available on pinside?

Guess again.

LTG : )

#19 10 years ago

BBB is a great game worth seeking out, if only for a few plays!

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Guess again.

Where Lloyd? The only version that pulls up on Pinside is the Capcom 1996 version.

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from Magic_Mike:

Where Lloyd? The only version that pulls up on Pinside is the Capcom 1996 version.

Sorry, I thought he was looking for one owned by a Pinsider. Not one of the remakes.

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from BigB:

Does anyone know if the BBB that John Dayhuff has is an original or a reproduction model?

What a lot of BBB owners DON"T know is that Gene *deliberately* changed a cosmetic detail on the repro's playfield to eliminate this confusion.

Watch the Pins & Vids BBB video for more details!

Gene only made a *very small* number of BBBs 100% true to the original.

Those are the *only* ones that can actually be passed off as an original.

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from BigB:

All of the repros have a gold plaque with the production number engraved on it on the RH side of the apron. From what I remember, John's had that plaque...

Later,
EV

#24 10 years ago

Gene also gave potential buyers the option of tricking out their BBB in either real gold or brass.

These are easy to spot.

These prices were sent out in 2004:

bbb_prices.jpgbbb_prices.jpg

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

FWIW, just like brand new games the repros all had some sort of small issue. One friend's game had a couple of flakey switches, and another was set to sell his due to really poor pop bumper action. (Ended up using DE spoons in the pop bumper mechs, and it solved the issue.)

Thanks for the tip.. I have to keep adjusting my pops and it's a pain. I thought of trying different parts, and will give these a shot. Did you keep the Capcom switches or changes them out?

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from Magic_Mike:

Too bad your friend didn't know how to adjust the sensitivity of his pop bumpers and sold a rare game for no reason.
I had to adjust the sensitivity of my jets and tweak a few switches on mine as well. No big deal.
I also played Gene's original next to a repro and thought that the repro felt the same, if not, a bit more solid and robust.
Watch the Pins & Vids BBB documentary (Episode III) and you will see how the repros were actually made better and stronger than the originals.

He kept it after we swapped out the spoons. Actually fixing the pops helped find and fix another issue. The ball would get stuck on the underground spot on the rollover.

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Thanks for the tip.. I have to keep adjusting my pops and it's a pain. I thought of trying different parts, and will give these a shot. Did you keep the Capcom switches or changes them out?

He kept everything except the spoons. We bought 3 of the Bally/Williams and 3 of the data east spoons. Tried the data east ones first, and it worked great. I think the b/w ones are still in the Baggie they came in sitting in the coinbox

#28 10 years ago

I've got #67 here, so it must be a repro from Gene.......LOL. In the end there were approximently 183 made by Gene, which was a higher number that he had originally stated at Expo that year....but what are you gonna do. Still very glad I own one. Some pics of us opening the game , thats me in the black shirt and barefoot.

John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, MI.
269-979-3836

Dayhuff_BBB_007[1].jpgDayhuff_BBB_007[1].jpg P6300056.JPGP6300056.JPG 46141576412_0_BG[1].jpg46141576412_0_BG[1].jpg

#29 10 years ago

I wish I had been paying attention in 2007. Buying one for $4500 would have been a no-brainer immediate order.

I've only played BBB a few times, but what a cool game and a great theme.

If anyone has one to sell, feel free to PM me.

#30 10 years ago

http://pinsimdb.org/pinball/table-1311-big_bang_bar

This passable recreation is the closest I'll ever come to owning one, and I'll probably delete it once I have kids.

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

He kept it after we swapped out the spoons.

Smart man!

The issue for mine wasn't the spoons but the contacts on the switches being too far apart.

They are hair sensitive now.

#32 10 years ago

BBB is not a deep game, but it has some unique pf elements and the execution of the theme is truly outstanding. Too bad Capcom didn't get to manufacture this in any great numbers. It would have been a hit.

#33 10 years ago

Looks like there will be one at the Pinball Life open house .
Games (so far): http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=catalog&parent=356&pg=1

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from RandyV:

Too bad Capcom didn't get to manufacture this in any great numbers. It would have been a hit.

People always argue that if BBB had been released before Flipper Football, things would have been different.

The reality is, when Capcom closed their pinball division in 1996 they were *$60 million* in the red.

Nothing would have saved this company. They were doomed for failure.

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from PunishersLEMC:

come to SS Billiards and play an ORIGINAL one - visit LTG and Prada
Also MM, WOZ, and many other awesome games
Address: 732 11th Ave S, Hopkins, MN 55343
Phone:(952) 938-9259
Hours: 12:00 pm – 12:00 am
Google maps:
https://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=732+11th+Avenue+South++Hopkins,+MN+55343&aq=&sll=44.731502,-92.856172&sspn=0.092195,0.154324&vpsrc=0&t=h&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=732+11th+Ave+S,+Hopkins,+Hennepin+County,+Minnesota+55343&z=16&iwloc=A

Man! MN has all the pinball fun!

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from RandyV:

BBB is not a deep game, but it has some unique pf elements and the execution of the theme is truly outstanding. Too bad Capcom didn't get to manufacture this in any great numbers. It would have been a hit.

Whats unique about it that makes it so good? Just curious having never played it.

#37 10 years ago
Quoted from TurboBengal:

Whats unique about it that makes it so good? Just curious having never played it.

Read Robin's story that he wrote five years ago:

http://pinside.com/pinball/archive/big-bang-bar/stories/the-end-of-capcom-pinball

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from TurboBengal:

Frankly, there are a lot of better games but it is rare and collectible. Not saying you wouldn't like it, but like many things that are rare, the mystique tends to exceed reality. #33 on the Top 100 list and I'd probably say that feels about right to me. It was fun to play one at a friend of a friends, but then I was a little disappointed --- probably because my expectations were too high. The theme is kinda cool though and I certainly would recommend trying it if you get the chance.

#39 10 years ago
Quoted from tbanthony:

Frankly, there are a lot of better games but it is rare and collectible. Not saying you wouldn't like it, but like many things that are rare, the mystique tends to exceed reality. #33 on the Top 100 list and I'd probably say that feels about right to me.

I do not own a BBB and can't afford it. But I have been fortunate enough to play that game many times (on three different machines, one original at SS billiards and 2 repros).

I simply love that game. It is extremely addictive. Only ACDC gives me the same feeling.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Chicago, IL
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

30,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Victoria, BC
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 209.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/big-bang-bar-2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.