(Topic ID: 147401)

Bible Adventures Pinball Discussion Thread

By pinballlife

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

aPuz5 (resized).jpg
    5144443 (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-01-25 at 5.33.20 PM (resized).png
    image1 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    Creación_de_Bible_Adventures.jpg
    ba.png
    1516475018070810693597893017888 (resized).jpg
    bible.png
    MatchBC (resized).jpg
    14986010318881102019668 (resized).jpg
    Drain (resized).png
    DissinTerry (resized).jpg
    e841bec0c24f33a59abd49c6b2c549fe (resized).jpg
    There are 539 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 11.
    #451 6 years ago
    Quoted from hooch333:

nobody really believes in any of that wack-a-doo baloney, but they sure love to play the pinball machines!

The problem is not what people don't believe in, but rather what they do believe in. But I've already talked about that above.

If you are ignoring NT, I think that the part of the Red Sea is the top playfield action. I would also add a "destructible" Tower of Babel, ala Medieval Madness, because it would be flashy and easily recognized.
    Might steer clear of the baby killing bits of the Moses story, which would throw out the plagues(unless you just ignore the last one). I'm fairly certain that bit would be overly controversial. You could do some desert wandering bits, kinda like the raft advance of White Water. Could be some good humor to be had from a Eden sequence. Have a mode where you throw apples at the snake, for example. A rain warning hurry up for a Noah's Ark sequence could be hilarious if done right.

#452 6 years ago

Thinking maybe do it like this vice. Have a Stepper motor and a single drive rod, but use left and right threaded nuts to make the "sides of the sea" open and close symmetrically.

14986010318881102019668 (resized).jpg14986010318881102019668 (resized).jpg

#453 6 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Thinking maybe do it like this vice. Have a Stepper motor and a single drive rod, but use left and right threaded nuts to make the "sides of the sea" open and close symmetrically.

Was just going to suggest that! Need to sling a ball into Goliath's forehead (ala MM catapult), a satan head/balrog to bash the hell out of, wander the wilderness mode, how can you make Charlton Heston carry the 10 commandments down the mountain?, Shepard mode - collect lost sheep....so many ideas.

#454 6 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Man you over engineer everything.

Why not just a ramp with a diverter that has to get moved out of the way? It keeps looping you back to pharaoh unless opened to get to the promised land. That actually ends up being a dessert the ball seem to get wandering in for years.

#455 6 years ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

Man you over engineer everything.
    Why not just a ramp with a diverter that has to get moved out of the way?

Avoids expense of coils, a screw driven motor w/opposite threads can open and close the red sea.

#456 6 years ago
    Quoted from dgarrett:

Avoids expense of coils, a screw driven motor w/opposite threads can open and close the red sea.

You know in final production it will just all get dropped and a stand up target put in anyway.

#457 6 years ago

I'd like to suggest a different title for this game. How about "The Old Testament"?

#458 6 years ago

I like the vise idea. This game should be scary epic!
    Lightning flashes on the monitor. The only playfield lighting is focused on the slowly parting sea. Then the shaker motor starts. The loud sound of crashing waves and thunder. The sea is parted as Heston booms "The Lord of hosts will do battle for us!!! BEHOLD HIS MIGHTY HAND!"
    This starts a hurry up frenzied multi-ball. Get as many balls through the parted waters as you can. Balls can get stuck inside as the waters close back in. To be released only when you again achieve The Parting Of The Red Sea once more.

Please build this game. I have repaired, and bought, more than a few games from church basements. I have also donated a few games to church fund raising auctions. These people love pinball. They like to keep their kids off the street and amused. Heck, right up the street from me is a Incredible Pizza arcade. Owned and operated by the Christ Memorial Lutheran Church next door. This game will sell.

#459 6 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

make the "sides of the sea" open and close symmetrically

#460 6 years ago

Yes, parting of sea would make great hurry-up with shot getting narrower and narrower and bonus getting larger the longer you wait.

3 weeks later
    #461 6 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Yes that is what I want. 1950s style fire and brimstone! Also, sprinkle in some God of War.

Ben, How about incorporating a bonus multiplier abacus and a sun dial timer?

#462 6 years ago

Will this game have a lower playfield that can swallow the ball thru the gates of hell?

#463 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Will this game have a lower playfield that can swallow the ball thru the gates of hell?

Hell is more of a New Testament concept, at least the hell most people are familiar with. It comes up a few places in the OT but not as a place of eternal torment (i.e., no gates).

#464 6 years ago

Correct there is no hell in this game.

It's Cecil B DeMille meets God of War.

#465 6 years ago

Cool. Sounds like it will be epic.

(see what I did there)

#466 6 years ago

Perhaps at the start of the game, everything is off, and in a booming voice,
    "Let there be Light!"
    And with a Super bright Flash of all game lights, the game begins.....

#467 6 years ago

Do we get to rest for the 7th ball?

#468 6 years ago

How about a miniature version of this lurking around the garden of Eden? Ready to grab the er,.. ah... ball.

#469 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

The bible will make an excellent pinball theme as long as religion is left out of it.

Quoted from spinal:

Another way would be to keep everything the same but leave the word 'Bible' out of the title. For example could call it something like 'End Times' or something else destructive and cool sounding. This way one could dial down the controversy a bit. I find it sounds better than BA. Just a thought.

To me this would be the way to go, otherwise it's too polarizing IMO. I hate the theme, but think most of the modes discussed sound really cool. If Biblcal names were left out, most of the religious aspects would go over my head. People familiar with the stories would instantly recognize the references though.

Obviously you risk losing your target audience, but if it's released as Bible Adventures I think this is the response many would have before even giving it a shot.

Quoted from Barron:

When I was a kid, I went to a friend's house to play Nintendo & this was the only game he had. To say I was disappointed would be an understatement, but I played anyway. I didn't convert and my mom said to never go into Chris's house ever again.

#470 6 years ago
    Quoted from Toasterdog:

if it's released as Bible Adventures I think this is the response many would have before even giving it a shot

actually, depending on whether this is trademarked (and if it's still valid), there was a NES, megadrive, and PC version of a video game called bible adventures
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bible_Adventures

Ghost squad (sega) --> AMH
    Total Annihilation (cavedog entertainment) --> Total Nuclear Annihilation
    Bible Adventures (Wisdom Tree) --> ???????????

This seems to be a pattern, it's like spooky is messing with us.

#471 6 years ago

The scores should be in Roman Numerals so drunks in a bar have to figure out who won -

MatchBC (resized).jpgMatchBC (resized).jpg

#472 6 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Correct there is no hell in this game

Come on Ben that's the best part of that book.

#473 6 years ago

Maybe we just suck at coming up with names?

I'm pretty sure Wisdom Tree is still around actually, still making faith-based games.

Even if the name changes, it still needs to be clear what the game is about. No reason to bait and switch people.

#474 6 years ago

Still not sure why everybody is so up tight about having Bible in the title. I do agree Bible Adventures sounds a little Sunday-Schoolish.

A couple alternatives: Testament, Pentateuch (if you stuck with mainly the first 5 books of the OT), Apocryphal, Covenant

#475 6 years ago

Call it "Tales of the Big Biblical attack from balls madness" and people will pre-order just on name

#476 6 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Maybe we just suck at coming up with names?
    I'm pretty sure Wisdom Tree is still around actually, still making faith-based games.
    Even if the name changes, it still needs to be clear what the game is about. No reason to bait and switch people.

They are around licensing their old titles for repros, not sure about new stuff.

#477 6 years ago

Society has trained us to instinctively assume that any entertainment product with "Bible" in the title will be a moralizing educational product thinly disguised as entertainment, but designed by people who don't understand the appeal of the medium.

If it's not that, and I assume it isn't, marketing will sure be an uphill battle!

4 months later
    #478 6 years ago

benheck I have your next amazing mech concept for the red sea.. Take this air powered monstrosity and convert it into more cost effective with servos (and less of them):
    https://sploid.gizmodo.com/youd-never-have-to-reach-for-anything-placed-on-this-li-1820992994

#479 6 years ago

bible.pngbible.png

1 month later
    #480 6 years ago

LET THERE BE FOAM CORE!

1516475018070810693597893017888 (resized).jpg1516475018070810693597893017888 (resized).jpg

#481 6 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

LET THERE BE FOAM CORE!

holy hell, is that a rotating scoop?

#482 6 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

LET THERE BE FOAM CORE!

Sweet, I love the fact that this might become a reality. After all this time of sound boarding ideas it will be great to see what gets into the final game. (Samson pillar pops?)

#483 6 years ago

Please let this come true

#484 6 years ago

How about slinging balls at Goliath?

#485 6 years ago

I'm just hoping he's not going to over-engineer a parting of the red sea.

#486 6 years ago

Main toys I'd like to have:

Rotating scoop (as pictured) Holds 3 balls and can eject them at any angle.

Crumbling walls of Jericho (rear orbit)

Samson above pops shaking pillars (that might change the path of ball on ramp shots)

Some part of the PF that cracks open and reveal a path for Exodus MB.

#487 6 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

LET THERE BE FOAM CORE!

Dear God. They let you out of the asylum!!

#488 6 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Main toys I'd like to have:
    Rotating scoop (as pictured) Holds 3 balls and can eject them at any angle.
    Crumbling walls of Jericho (rear orbit)
    Samson above pops shaking pillars (that might change the path of ball on ramp shots)
    Some part of the PF that cracks open and reveal a path for Exodus MB.

The playfield cracking be something like Earthshaker.

#489 6 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Dear God. They let you out of the asylum!!

We had a GoFundMe to get him out. You were noticeable missed

#490 6 years ago

Wizard mode ..."I Am" would be epic.

One thing I have never seen in a multi flipper game is earning extra flippers.
    So for instance you start with the two lower and earn the uppers / sides as you progress through the mode. Thus opening new shots you could otherwise not make with just the two lowers.

#492 6 years ago
    Quoted from HOOKED:

Wizard mode ..."I Am" would be epic.

Or "He is" with the Ghost song...

#495 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinballlife:

Go go Bible Adventures!

BA BUMP!

#496 6 years ago

Do you work on the game on Sundays?

#497 6 years ago

Just saw that Ben's working on foam core for Bible Adventures. Sign me up!!!!

#498 6 years ago

Creación_de_Bible_Adventures.jpgCreación_de_Bible_Adventures.jpg

#499 6 years ago

Wizard mode could be the Ark of the Covenant being brought out for battle.

#500 6 years ago
    Quoted from nwpinball:

Or "He is" with the Ghost song... » YouTube video

Most beautiful song about Satan I've ever listened to.

There are 539 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 11.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bible-adventures-pinball-discussion-thread/page/10?hl=aplundell and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.