Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Scorch
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1E07E789-8328-46D3-A3A1-3BE3E251BDC1 (resized).jpeg
    20180309_205905 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MrFancy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

Rating pinball machines is always going to be somewhat subjective- different people have different things they look for in a pin, and there's never going to be complete agreement on what machines are better than others. That aside, I think there are some sources of "bias" in the rankings- by bias I mean factors that have nothing to do with how good the game is that make some games get rated higher than others. Note, this is not meant to be a criticism of the rankings, just an interesting thing to think about. Two sources of bias that I think I've noticed are:

1. More recent games/remakes tend to get higher ratings than older games. A new game comes out, people get excited about it, and that makes them more motivated to come on here and rave about it than they would be with older machines. So, a newer game tends to automatically rate a bit higher than the same game would if it had come out 10 years earlier. I mean, I love Iron Maiden, but is it really the 3rd best game of all time?

2. Hard games get rated too low. Whether or not people prefer harder games is certainly a matter of opinion, and there's nothing wrong with someone who doesn't like games to be really hard ranking those ones lower. But, I think there might also be a tendency for some people to want to come on here and trash a game because they're pissed off that it just kicked their ass (of course that's not what they say in the rating comments). The five hardest games in the top 100 that I know well enough to have an opinion about are TNA (#21), Iron Man (#30), Houdini (#36), Flash Gordon (#66), and Dirty Harry (#92). All of those except Iron Man seem to low to me (especially Flash Gordon and Dirty Harry- those are both all-time greats!), even taking into account that not everyone likes those kinds of games.

Anybody notice anything else like this?

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Yes there are 1000 threads on it. Please go there.

There are? Shoot, I just had one of my assistants spend the last three days combing through all the old posts on here and she said she couldn't find anything. I'll put her on disciplinary probation in the morning to make sure this never happens again.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MrFancy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bias-in-the-pinside-top-100?tu=MrFancy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.