New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 12802)

BHZA????

By RGR

8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 67 posts
  • 39 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Concretehardt
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 8 years ago

Release pics?
Purchase price?
Production run?
Video or pics of playfield?
Release date???

#2 8 years ago
Quoted from RGR:

Release pics?
Purchase price?
Production run?
Release date???

1) None released yet
2) $9995 USD
3) 125
4) None released yet
5) Projected release date not available yet.

Hope that helps.

#3 8 years ago

I apologize, but remind me what BHZA represents again.

#4 8 years ago

Ben hecks zombie adventure land

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from jwwhite15:

I apologize, but remind me what BHZA represents again.

Damn, an acronym for a game that hasn't even been developed yet?

#7 8 years ago

Not developed but sold out.

#8 8 years ago

I really have to send John an email. I mailed him a check for my BHZA deposit a while ago, and it hasn't been cashed yet. I hope I sent it to the right address.

#9 8 years ago

John said he canceled you out Gweem...too late....JK

#10 8 years ago

Shouldn't it be BHZAL? Or just ZAL?

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from RGR:

Release pics?
Purchase price?
Production run?
Release date???

Some info and prototype will be at Midwest Gaming Classic I read somewhere. The weekend of the 24th coming up. More to know then.

#12 8 years ago

no proto at the Midwest show anymore

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I really have to send John an email. I mailed him a check for my BHZA deposit a while ago, and it hasn't been cashed yet. I hope I sent it to the right address.

No worries, I did the same thing and it hasn't been cashed yet either. Kind of strange.

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

Shouldn't it be BHZAL? Or just ZAL?

No.

"Adventureland" is one word the way that they have it.

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

No worries, I did the same thing and it hasn't been cashed yet either. Kind of strange.

Strange indeed, and yet it makes me feel better.

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

RobT said:No worries, I did the same thing and it hasn't been cashed yet either. Kind of strange.

You know what else would make you feel better? Selling me your TOTAN!

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

You know what else would make you feel better? Selling me your TOTAN!

Hey, everything's for sale for the right price.

#18 8 years ago

Spoke with John, he's just getting checks in and things organized. He said no hurry. All good.

#19 8 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

RobT said:No worries, I did the same thing and it hasn't been cashed yet either. Kind of strange.

Last I heard, John was going to set up an independent account with his bank for this project or something to that effect. This was soon after the PayPal issues. Not sure if that has happened yet. May be the source of the delay.
I sent him a US money order from Canada at the end of Feb and also have not heard back. Contacted him on Sunday and he was sure he had seen it but was going to confirm. Just sent him a reminder.

1 week later
#20 8 years ago

I just wanted to update you guys and let you know that the cashed check officially hit my account yesterday. Now I don't know whether to celebrate or crap my pants!

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I just wanted to update you guys and let you know that the cashed check officially hit my account yesterday. Now I don't know whether to celebrate or crap my pants!

Maybe a little of both Gweem! Let the fun begin......

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Classic.

I need to check to see if mine cleared as well.

#23 8 years ago

Just checked, mine cleared yesterday as well.

#24 8 years ago

Mine cleared on the 14th.

7 months later
#25 7 years ago

Can someone explain the 'design your own' element to this? You can custom the toys in the machine or something?

#26 7 years ago
Quoted from radrats:

Can someone explain the 'design your own' element to this? You can custom the toys in the machine or something?

I doubt anyone really knows at this point. If so they probably couldn't tell you anyway.

#27 7 years ago
Quoted from radrats:

Can someone explain the 'design your own' element to this?

Yes. You get a refund of your BHZA deposit, get some tools and make your own pinball machine.

Would be quicker than waiting.

Haha!

Dave.

#28 7 years ago

Here is video of the BHZA playfield mockup so far (skip to the 29:00 mark):
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/25967283

Cool rotating lower playfield.

#29 7 years ago

cant view on ipad. bummer. the ustream app needs work

#30 7 years ago
Quoted from PinB:

Here is video of the BHZA playfield mockup so far (skip to the 29:00 mark):
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/25967283
Cool rotating lower playfield.

Pretty cool. I'm not usually a fan of little playfields and little flippers, but it looks fun.
Looks like it'll take up a ton of room under the pf though.

Nice to finally see something!
Thanks for the link.

#31 7 years ago

If you look on the website, there is a link to a company that makes toy robots to order. It is actually a cool site. I think they are making a custom robot model which each buyer will customize by colors and features. The robots will be installed somewhere on the playfield.

#32 7 years ago

http://www.pinballinventor.org/games/benheck/features_five.html

This is a link to the featuregram explaining the custom robot from robot nation.

#33 7 years ago

Seems like it is going to be a cool pin, cannot wait to play it in 5 years...............

#34 7 years ago

Never mind BHZA, whatever happened to Magic Girl?

2 months later
#35 7 years ago

chirp chirp,,,

#36 7 years ago

What I have seen of Magic Girl makes me wish I could have gotten in on it - it was before my time. Jpop and Ben are using Posterous to keep buyers updated. We are getting updates weekly, sometimes daily. Not major updates, just looks at progress.

#37 7 years ago

Lots of progress being made on Magic Girl and BHZA. Jpop is using the posterous forum to get feedback on various ideas and to show us progress. He is also great about emailing with us directly to answer questions and compare ideas.

#38 7 years ago

I hope these pins are huge hit smashes and jpop makes money with such small runs. Would be great for the hobby.

#39 7 years ago

I say to all the bashers... If you can do a better job then do it. I am sure that many people would like to have many options to choose from. If not then shut up about it!

I for one am glad to be able to get a machine from Stern, Jersey Jack, Jpop, and old Bally and Old Williams stuff. They are all good. If I have hard feelings for anyone it would be Williams. After all they are the ones who have up. All of the others are doing their best to keep pinball going.

#40 7 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I hope these pins are huge hit smashes and jpop makes money with such small runs. Would be great for the hobby.

I don't know how boutique pinball games and extremely high prices are good for the hobby. IMO, it just makes the hobby more exclusive. Prices on electronics continue to go lower and lower, except when it comes to pinball machines. How is the industry supposed to grow when less and less people can afford to buy new games, and operators can't afford to put a $10,000 machine on location?

This is not me being a "hater" or a "basher." I'm just expressing a realistic opinion. I hope JPop's games are great and he does well, but if the industry is really going to blossom, games have to become more affordable.

#41 7 years ago
Quoted from PinballHelp:

I don't know how boutique pinball games and extremely high prices are good for the hobby. IMO, it just makes the hobby more exclusive. Prices on electronics continue to go lower and lower, except when it comes to pinball machines. How is the industry supposed to grow when less and less people can afford to buy new games? And operators can't afford to put a $10,000 machine on location.
This is not me being a "hater" or a "basher." I'm just expressing a realistic opinion. I hope JPop's games are great and he does well, but if the industry is really going to blossom, games have to become more affordable.

Full disclosure. I am a Magic Girl and ZombieAdvantureland buyer. I'm also way tipsy on vodka so forgive any incoherent ramblings and typos.

I understand your concerns and some of the comments I've read from others in the past. Your post was reasonable and you are not a hater.

JPOP is appealing to a niche selection of the market. He is targeting the high end collector, of which there is a limited population. To make a small production run of a high end product cost a lot of money and appeals to a select few.

Most people never even considered buying Magic Girl at $16,000.00. It was thought crazy at the time. However a whole segment of folks (199 people) bought in at $10,000.00 to purchase ZombieAdventuerland. A lower price that fit into their comfort zone. Step down from there to buy WOZ or an LE Stern at $7,000.00 plus or minus is another level. As is MM, AFM etc. an additional level.

To put this in perspective consider this. Lets say someone has a collection of 1980's games that they paid an average of $700.00 per game for. Someone with no games could complain how those people have inflated prices out of everybody's league and are ruining the hobby.

As to where this hobby is headed I have no clue. I'm a buyer right now and having a blast is all I know. New pinball hobbyist are entering the market at all levels and home entertainment is seemly exploding right now. However more pinball manufactures are also springing up and it maybe a super nova of pinball. We all may end up with dust.

Quite frankly I am somewhat overwhelmed at times.

Crap... The ice in my drink has melted... Gotta go.

Kim

#42 7 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

... The ice in my drink has melted... Gotta go.
Kim

Nice...priceless! Be officially notifed upon reading this post. That line is now stolen and will be used extensively

#43 7 years ago

On a side note
Cointaker is selling some nifty looking BHZA clocks on the website.
Anyone get one?

#44 7 years ago

450 dollar clock with Ben Heck's face on it? F that haha...fools

#45 7 years ago

A guy is selling a WoZ for $10K so in that regards $10K for a BHZA does not seem crazy.

#46 7 years ago

email me for info....we have a blog site for all owners....folks who need more info or a studio tour usually arrange. call me "anytime" with any other project issues or ideas. we do not really post updates to pinside on our custom projects. Jpop pop(at)zidware.com (224-532-0639)

#47 7 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Most people never even considered buying Magic Girl at $16,000.00. It was thought crazy at the time. However a whole segment of folks (199 people) bought in at $10,000.00 to purchase ZombieAdventuerland. A lower price that fit into their comfort zone. Step down from there to buy WOZ or an LE Stern at $7,000.00 plus or minus is another level. As is MM, AFM etc. an additional level.

Right, but if you likely doubled or tripled those production numbers, I would estimate there probably wouldn't be as many buyers and the price would not be sustainable. It's business 101. In a "vertical market" (where you're making a niche product that appeals to a small number of buyers) you can charge extremely high prices, but you'll be limited in how many you can sell at that price.

I think JJP is pushing the limits of this niche market with 1000 LEs. I still am not seeing the market grow... so what we're seeing is, now that there is an identifiable market (30-60 year olds with disposable income that are into pinball games) various manufacturers are jockeying to tap into that market. But how long is that going to last? I think there's a limited number of money and a limited number of people who will spend that much money *unless* the market significantly grows. I'm not seeing it really grow as much as I'm seeing the existing retro market becoming more aggressively solicited by the new producers.

How many more "pre-order" models can the market sustain? JPop has 2, Stern seems to be doing 2-at-a-time these days as well, and now JJP is taking orders for #2 before shipping #1. At some point this business model is going to plateau. And how many manufacturers can be sustained in this market at a time?

IMO, the fact that we now have at least two major manufacturers that are selling game #2 before game #1 ships, that's not a good sign. To me it indicates that the production costs aren't being covered by the first game's sales. That's a precarious business model because it can only be sustainable if there's constant growth in sales, and we are not seeing a growth in sales nor a significant increase in market size. Something has to give.

Again, I hope everyone does extremely well. I'm just pragmatically looking at the market. I am a businessman. I've built my own businesses, LLCs, S-corps, C-corps, etc. over 30 years. I'm trying to figure out how the current models are going to sustain themselves when the manufacturers are focusing on tapping into the existing market as opposed to creating new markets.

#48 7 years ago

There is no question a lot of new blood and new money has been coming into the hobby recently. I think it is expanding, no question.

The only question is how much can these collectors make up for the disappearing route operators. The boutique pinball model may very well be able to continue, at their prices. What is is danger is the $5000 pinball machine. Stern is the only one trying to maintain that price point. (Yes, I know Predator is $5000, but that is a "made in a garage by 2 guys" price, they'll probably not be able to sustain that pricing down the road.)

#49 7 years ago
Quoted from PinballHelp:

now that there is an identifiable market (30-60 year olds with disposable income that are into pinball games) various manufacturers are jockeying to tap into that market. But how long is that going to last? I think there's a limited number of money and a limited number of people who will spend that much money *unless* the market significantly grows. I'm not seeing it really grow as much as I'm seeing the existing retro market becoming more aggressively solicited by the new producers.

I agree. The market is not endless. Some people may have $21K to spend over the next 3 years. Maybe they buy 3 Sterns as they come out at $7K a pop for the LE or maybe they pre-order Predator, Hobbit, BHZA. These pre-orders should take a bite out of Stern because these people even if they are wealthy have a limit, either a money limit or a space limit. So the sellers like Jpop or JJP or Skip-B are pre-selling to beat Stern to the punch. I don't think it would be impossible for Stern to do the same thing. Like if Star Trek will be out in 6 months, you can pre-order it for $6500 or wait and get it for $7K.

My point is there is a limit to how many games a person can buy. If people are in for MG and BHZA; or WoZ, Hobbit and Predator. Then another maker comes out with several cool games. The buyer may already be mentally in for 2 or 3 future games may have his plate full and like a game of musical chairs the new maker might not have enough buyers.

#50 7 years ago

But - the pinball market has at least doubled in the last 12 months. That's a guess, but if we use Pinside online numbers as a gauge then the market has tripled. We need a distributor to chime in on growth. Hey JJ - have your pinball sales increased in the last year or 'bout the same ?

Myself and pbinthesouth both got in within the last year and spent major cashola. In 2011 I was not in the market AT ALL.

My point is - the pinball market has grown. How much is in question, but from my persepctive it is "major" growth as you put it. I believe the market has doubled at the very least and probably more. Selling all 1000 WoZ LEs is one sign, Stern thought that 500 or so was the size of the LE collector market. But it is clear it is larger.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 12.00
Lighting - Led
Pinball Haus
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 159.00
$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
$ 34.99
Cleaner
Pinball Pro
$ 59.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.
$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods
$ 8.99
Electronics
Dr. Dave's Pinball Parts
$ 85.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Iron Monger Decal Out of stock
Flashinstinct
$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Various Other Swag
UpKick Pinball
$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 23.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
$ 25.99
Playfield - Other
Lee's Parts
$ 3.00
Various Other Swag
Project Pinball Charity
$ 9.95
$ 7,599.00
$ 299.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside