image-783.jpg
image-807.jpg
image-137.jpg
image-164.jpg
Lit Front.jpg
Rear.jpg
Unlit Front-553.jpg
#1 10 years ago

I posted this in the "Restorations Documented" forum, but thought I should cross-post it here because the work done by bgresto.com is largely EM-centric.

So I just noticed they have a page (http://bgresto.com/?page_id=801) that shows one of their reproductions side-by-side with the original backglass, from a WMS Screamo. It's hard to tell them apart from the front! In fact, read the text on the web page carefully so you know which one—reproduction or original—you are looking at.

Unlit Front-553.jpgUnlit Front-553.jpg
Rear.jpgRear.jpg
Lit Front.jpgLit Front.jpg

#2 10 years ago

Yeah it pretty neat. I actually think the repro looks better than the original because more light it getting through the repro glass.

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

Yeah it pretty neat. I actually think the repro looks better than the original because more light it getting through the repro glass.

In the bottom, lit pic, the original is on the right (with more light coming through). When taking the pictures, they didn't keep the glasses in the same relative position (that detail is on the bgresto page). In the middle, reverse view pic, the repro is on the right. In the top, unlit pic, the original is on the right.

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

In the bottom, lit pic, the original is on the right (with more light coming through). When taking the pictures, they didn't keep the glasses in the same relative position (that detail is on the bgresto page). In the middle, reverse view pic, the repro is on the right. In the top, unlit pic, the original is on the right.

They say you can put LEDs behind the repro glass to make it brighter. I wouldn't do that, the colors of a b/g with LEDs behind them just don't look right.

Use 44s and turn the game off, and you'll be fine with the amount of light.

#5 10 years ago

Not sure with their Backglass and the backing they use if the heat from a 44 bulb will damage the new glass over time so I would re-think that one. I would not use LED's either and just use #47's as I do with my Williams Gulfstream Backglass I bought from them..

Ken

#6 10 years ago

There is a salmon-colored diamond shape in the upper-right corner of the reproduction. I wonder what that is?

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

Not sure with their Backglass and the backing they use if the heat from a 44 bulb will damage the new glass over time so I would re-think that one. I would not use LED's either and just use #47's as I do with my Williams Gulfstream Backglass I bought from them..
Ken

It might if you leave the game on as they used to do on location. In a home environment, it's going to take a long time before there's damage from the heat from the bulbs. Plus, the old backglasses were also exposed to temp and humidity changes that HUO games just don't get that also contributed to the problems.

Maybe some people leave their games on at home like that, but I sure don't.

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from leckmeck:

There is a salmon-colored diamond shape in the upper-right corner of the reproduction. I wonder what that is?

I'm thinking it's a salmon-colored diamond shape thing.

(OK, actually it looks like it could be a cork spacer stuck to the face of the glass?)

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

Not sure with their Backglass and the backing they use if the heat from a 44 bulb will damage the new glass over time so I would re-think that one.

It looks like a vinyl printed sheet adhered to the glass.

Hard to say if the heat over time will discolor or shrink the vinyl .

#10 10 years ago

I use 44's in all my pins and don't worry about heat for home use. That's going on 4 years now and no issues. I'm waiting on a Capt Card BG from bgresto and I'll report on it once I get it. One way to counter the loss in light transmission is to use LEDs as has been mentioned. I'm going to use cointaker's warm white LEDs as the color of those replicates an incandescent well. I also think applying some adhesive silver mylar on the board that the bulbs mount to for extra reflectivity will help as well. Maybe these two actions can bring the light transmission close to original glass.

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

I'm thinking it's a salmon-colored diamond shape thing.
(OK, actually it looks like it could be a cork spacer stuck to the face of the glass?)

Confirming it is a cork square used for storage & shipping purposes.

#12 10 years ago

Always use warm white LEDs when doing the led route. They look the most original. Number 44 bulbs are fine too with bgresto glasses.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Confirming it is a cork square used for storage & shipping purposes.

I was almost sure it was the EM versoin of the Credit Dot.

#14 10 years ago

I have several of BGresto back glasses, they are somewhat local witch makes getting them easier for me. I have one in my C-37 , play ball , Buccaneer , Surf champ , High hand and Crescendo and no one has ever guessed or said anything other than positive about them.
I agree with the above poster who pointed out how the are brighter than the originals and do seem to let a bit more light thru. also, I use 44s for lighting, My games are on for only a fraction of the time that they were in the wild, so burning the glass is not an issue for me.

I give BGresto 2 thumbs up !

Brian Lenker
Madison hts, MI
586-344-0721

1 week later
#15 10 years ago
Quoted from Bribo13:

I have several of BGresto back glasses, they are somewhat local witch makes getting them easier for me. I have one in my C-37 , play ball , Buccaneer , Surf champ , High hand and Crescendo and no one has ever guessed or said anything other than positive about them.
I agree with the above poster who pointed out how the are brighter than the originals and do seem to let a bit more light thru. also, I use 44s for lighting, My games are on for only a fraction of the time that they were in the wild, so burning the glass is not an issue for me.
I give BGresto 2 thumbs up !
Brian Lenker
Madison hts, MI
586-344-0721

can you post pics of some of your bgresto glasses with the machine on?
thanks.

4 weeks later
#16 10 years ago

Got my Capt Card glass in from bgresto and here's my review.
It came very well packed in a cardboard box. The glass itself was wrapped in bubble wrap with the edges covered with a couple more layers of bubble wrap. The edges were then covered with pipe insulation which was taped down. This was then placed in the box with packing peanuts and all the box seams were thoroughly taped. No worries with breaking during shipping here.
The glass itself is beautiful and a very faithful repro of the original. Some of the finer details such as lettering on some of the smaller cards are slightly blurry but I'm nitpicking here and thats a limitation of the process and not a quality issue, I'm thinking. You can only see these things with your nose almost touching the glass. You'll never see those differences when its installed.
On to light transmission. The translucency is not the same as a factory glass but that's well known. I did some experimentation and the factory glass with 47s is brighter than the repro with 44s. I then lined one area of the backboard with reflective film and it was a slight improvement. I didn't include a pic because of the slight difference and the limitations of photographing light in general. The best improvement came with Cointaker's Ultra Bright warm white LEDs. These are more of a narrow angle and wide angle ones may produce even better results. The photo shows more of the spotlighting effect than how it really is. The only issue with this particular style of LED is that its a tight fit in the holes drilled in the particle board but it is doable.
It took almost 2 months to get my glass and was initially told it would only take 4 wks since the artwork for Capt Card was already done. Communication could be better such as an acknowledgment of payment and a heads-up after a month or so. Having said all that, I won't hesitate to order another glass and will just assume it'll take awhile. That's ok with me as I'm happy to have another source for repro glasses.
Pic1 packaging image-164.jpgimage-164.jpg
Pic2 original glass with 47simage-137.jpgimage-137.jpg
Pic3 side by sideimage-807.jpgimage-807.jpg
Pic4 new glass with 44simage-783.jpgimage-783.jpg
Pic5 rear of old glassimage-276.jpgimage-276.jpg
Pic6 area behind dude lined with silver
Pic7 new glass with LEDs also, the score reels, ball in play numbers, and previous high score area or lit with 44s in this pic image-301.jpgimage-301.jpg

image-471.jpgimage-471.jpg
#17 10 years ago

They didn't bother with the orange color used on the original that is on the rock formation and his suit......

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

They didn't bother with the orange color used on the original that is on the rock formation and his suit......

their orange is reddish. you can also see in the screamo glass comparison. (guys shirt in 3rd row, tower top, and lower front of train)

#19 10 years ago

Yeah I just noticed that after posting. Maybe I can press for a discount if I order another...

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from beadwindow:

Yeah I just noticed that after posting. Maybe I can press for a discount if I order another...

I like the new one better. congrats.

#21 10 years ago

The games and back glasses are mine. In the photo showing both games side by side, the BGResto glass is on the left and the original is on the right. Unfortunately when I took the photos of the back side with the glass out of the machine I flipped them and the BGResto is on the right, original on the left.

Both games had new #44 bulbs. Transformer voltages were near identical. The diamond in the upper left is indeed a cork shipping square.

What I need to show is the other crappy original back glass. Yes, there is less light showing through the BGResto however the un-back lit color and resolution is near flawless.

In the near future I’ll redo the photos with various LED’s and back box treatments to see if the BGResto can be made to appear closer to the original as far as the back lit look. The bottom line is this, compared to the crappy original the BGResto glass essentially “saved” the game and made it presentable.

Kudos to Steve at BGResto for providing a valuable service to the pinball community.

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from nsduprr:

The games and back glasses are mine. In the photo showing both games side by side, the BGResto glass is on the left and the original is on the right. Unfortunately when I took the photos of the back side with the glass out of the machine I flipped them and the BGResto is on the right, original on the left.
Both games had new #44 bulbs. Transformer voltages were near identical. The diamond in the upper left is indeed a cork shipping square.
What I need to show is the other crappy original back glass. Yes, there is less light showing through the BGResto however the un-back lit color and resolution is near flawless.
In the near future I’ll redo the photos with various LED’s and back box treatments to see if the BGResto can be made to appear closer to the original as far as the back lit look. The bottom line is this, compared to the crappy original the BGResto glass essentially “saved” the game and made it presentable.
Kudos to Steve at BGResto for providing a valuable service to the pinball community.

I agree. It's great to have an alternative for titles that will probably never get rescreened. The fact that they put the additional layer of color over the translucent areas is great.

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

I don't know if there's an error or not. looking online at multiple Capt Card BG's shows that guy in everything from red to orange to even a flesh colored version. I'd think the original was probably red as it seems unlikely the artist would use such a close orange-red adjacent to a red but who knows.

#24 10 years ago

Steve used my NOS captain card glass for a reference when doing the artwork. So the colors are dead nuts correct on the BgResto version. this was a rare opportunity as it's hard to find NOS glasses from any era, much less a game that's 40+ years old. Remember reds are the most prone to fading, so looking at any original glass is suspect on reds. But I just happened to have a NOS never installed glass i bought in Chicagoland a few years ago, so Steve had a great example to work with.

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

Steve used my NOS captain card glass for a reference when doing the artwork. So the colors are dead nuts correct on the BgResto version. this was a rare opportunity as it's hard to find NOS glasses from any era, much less a game that's 40+ years old. Remember reds are the most prone to fading, so looking at any original glass is suspect on reds. But I just happened to have a NOS never installed glass i bought in Chicagoland a few years ago, so Steve had a great example to work with.

Cool and thanks for that info.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bgrestocom-comparisons-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.