Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 33 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Sea_Wolf
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

BG6 (resized).jpg
    BG5 (resized).jpg
    BG4 (resized).jpg
    BG3 (resized).jpg
    BG2 (resized).jpg
    BG1 (resized).jpg
    #1 2 years ago

Received my replacement glass from BGRESTO today!

The glass was well packed and is a true paint to glass production. The art work is a bit different from the original glass. Picture (5) is the original...6 is BGRESTO

I see a big difference in the translucence. BG is much darker. I'm not knocking it, but there has been so much chatter about various backglass repro providers, that I thought i should share my opinion. It took almost 7 months to receive the glass from BG. Steve communicated with me once...I emailed him and called. Radio silent. That was a drag. It was only because of the comments here that I hung with it and waited. With that said. Based on lead time, communication, quality and pricing...here are my rankings.

1- Webb/Shay

They are by far the best. They have limited inventory and mostly Gottlieb, but they are king.

2- Conway

His technique is a translite, but he communicates and ships the glass quickly. The final product works. I am at a loss why others think his work is substandard. Why? Because its not a screen product? I got one from BG...and it has its flaws. Also, I don't have to worry about bulb heat or environmental influence that could otherwise damage or shrink the art off the glass.

3- BG

Dude...7 months? and never replied to any of my emails or voice mails. Oh, he did respond..2 months back stating that the glass was complete and ready to ship.
    Steve's work is great...but his business communication (post payment) blows.

Well that's that. Thoughts?

BG1 (resized).jpgBG1 (resized).jpgBG2 (resized).jpgBG2 (resized).jpgBG3 (resized).jpgBG3 (resized).jpgBG4 (resized).jpgBG4 (resized).jpgBG5 (resized).jpgBG5 (resized).jpgBG6 (resized).jpgBG6 (resized).jpg
    #3 2 years ago

Looks great to me. You’re the only one who will know it’s a repro.

#4 2 years ago

I had a bgresto in my Time Zone and it was spectacular. No complaints here at all from me. I've gotten glasses from all of the people above. Obviously a screened glass is going to be better, but Steve can do just about any glass that the screen guys cannot.

For guys like me who restore games that most of the time the screeners will never do the glass, Steve is a lifesaver. Gary does good work too.

These guys enable us to save games that otherwise would probably be parted out for lack of a glass.

#5 2 years ago

Just giving my experience....

Ive got 3 BgResto glasses and I’m happy with all of them. The darkness is remedied for me by using comet LEDs.

Yeah... it’s a tough wait. The last one was in 2020, during the height of lockdowns, so I’m assuming he had a huge list. That was about 3 months and felt like the longest wait. 7 months with no feedback would probably have driven me nuts.

I wish he had a better way of addressing people’s concerns while they’re waiting, but I also get that he’s a one-man, part-time, show.

#6 2 years ago

Steve also travels a lot for work, and he has a family. Backglasses only get worked on two days a week when he has time. Also he does not silkscreen the glasssoits a different process.

For faster turnaround time email Mayfair Amusements to see if they have a nos glass, or order a backglass film from coos pinball in Europe. https://www.coos.net/bingo_e/index.html

#7 2 years ago
    Quoted from bluespin:Steve also travels a lot for work, and he has a family. Backglasses only get worked on two days a week when he has time.

Everyone has 'a life', once you open a business (especially in this hobby) The Customer Comes First. Product needs to be delivered within a reasonable amount of time, and communication at a minimum should update the product's progress up till shipping.

That being said, buyers should ALWAYS google search first time purchases from sellers, know how your experience should play out.

#8 2 years ago

Long wait, but it looks great.

#9 2 years ago

I have 3 repro backglasses from BGresto. They were glasses that Ron Webb and Shay weren't making and Mayfare did not have, so I appreciated a high quality product being available. I think the longest wait on one took about 4 months while the other 2 were around 3 months. I understood that going in and was not in a rush, so it wasn't an issue for me.

Yes, light transmission through the glass is a little less, but I either got used to it or went back to using 44 bulbs behind the glass. My machines are rarely on for more than an hour or two and not every day, so I'm really not worried about heat degradation (in my lifetime anyway).

I'm just glad the option is out there!

#10 2 years ago

Beautiful colors on the glass

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from miracleman:

Everyone has 'a life', once you open a business (especially in this hobby) The Customer Comes First. Product needs to be delivered within a reasonable amount of time, and communication at a minimum should update the product's progress up till shipping.
    That being said, buyers should ALWAYS google search first time purchases from sellers, know how your experience should play out.

I appreciate where you're coming from but BG Resto's "business" practices are well known. His customers still line up in a months long queue to obtain his services. The market has spoken. If you deal with him you get what he gives you and if you don't ten other people will.

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

I appreciate where you're coming from but BG Resto's "business" practices are well known. His customers still line up in a months long queue to obtain his services. The market has spoken. If you deal with him you get what he gives you and if you don't ten other people will.

The problem is the 6-10 week promise and the stock, "its scheduled to be shipped next week" response he gives that never pans out.
    It would be one thing if he responded to your initial inquiry with "Hey thanks for reaching out , yes I can get you a repo backglass, it will be 6-10 MONTHS and if you are lucky I will respond to your inquiries when you reach out on month 8 for the status."

But thats not what he tells us when we buy...

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

The problem is the 6-10 week promise and the stock, "its scheduled to be shipped next week" response he gives that never pans out.
    It would be one thing if he responded to your initial inquiry with "Hey thanks for reaching out , yes I can get you a repo backglass, it will be 6-10 MONTHS and if you are lucky I will respond to your inquiries when you reach out on month 8 for the status."
    But thats not what he tells us when we buy...

You call it a problem. It's obviously not a problem for BG Resto, you can find a dozen threads on Pinside alone complaining about it. And his orders keep coming.

I suspect Steve would be thrilled if the marketplace would step up and remove the need for his service. Until it does people will keep buying.

#14 2 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

You call it a problem. It's obviously not a problem for BG Resto, you can find a dozen threads on Pinside alone complaining about it. And his orders keep coming.
    I suspect Steve would be thrilled if the marketplace would step up and remove the need for his service. Until it does people will keep buying.

I will keep begrudgingly buying but doesn’t mean I’m going to defend poor communication and pretend to be understanding of this tired old “Steve travels and has a family” defense.
    Rock and a hard place. The dudes glasses are great. Everything else considered about being in business is a bummer.

#15 2 years ago

I've bought Bronco, Apollo and World Fair glasses from him and with no complaint as to quality. Yes, 44s look better due to the digital print being a tad darker or maybe LEDs ( never tried those tbh) and yes, Steve is a little slow perhaps but, worth the wait for me, seeing as I'm not actually local... besides, he can do those that the others dont, so I'm grateful enough.

#16 2 years ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:I will keep begrudgingly buying but doesn’t mean I’m going to defend poor communication and pretend to be understanding of this tired old “Steve travels and has a family” defense.
    Rock and a hard place. The dudes glasses are great. Everything else considered about being in business is a bummer.

..exactly!

#17 2 years ago

I have two of his glasses that aren’t available elsewhere. I won’t complain about the wait time since I don’t want to discourage him. This hobby has a limited number of suppliers. We just lost pinball rescue and now can’t get plastics or apron decals. I don’t want to loose a source for glass next. New parts on 60 year old machines keep the hobby alive.

#18 2 years ago

I'm going on 6 months for a Time Fantasy glass. i figure it will be at my front door any day now (or any month).

#19 2 years ago

I have purchased three back-glasses from Steve. None of these titles where available at other vendors. All three were projects. So by the time I finish everything I wanted to fix the glasses had a arrived (I am a little slow).

For what it is worth, I think all three of the glasses I received were of good quality. I would definitely buy for Steve again.

#20 2 years ago

Some people would bitch if you hanged them with a new rope.

1 week later
    #21 2 years ago

I’ve had two glasses done by BG resto not to shabby in my opinion. Not as nice as original but what is? It’s sort of like old cars, you can do frame off restoration which looks amazing sometimes but it doesn’t catch the essence of an original low mileage survivor. These glasses are repro’s not original and you have to take that into consideration.

1 week later
    #22 2 years ago

I'm 3 months in on my order. Was quoted 2 months. I read all these threads and ordered anyway as he is the only option for both of them. I still would have ordered if he told me 6 months. I'm just happy to see he is OK and still shipping things. That means I still have a chance to get mine.

Customer service is all about setting realistic expectations and communication. He gets an F on both.

#23 2 years ago

He's ok and still shipping glasses, My buddy ordered a Little Joe glass from him and he texted me stating that it was shipped last week. Patience young grasshopper. patience.

I'm curious. Which glass did you order?

1 week later
    #24 2 years ago

Glad I found these. I was beginning to worry because of how I had sent my payment. I was so used to paying with the friends & family method, that's how I sent him payment. So I have little to no recourse if he were to say, never send my Soccer Kings glass. Well, except the old fashioned; "show up to Expo and end up in jail for assault" recourse.

Good to know that slow is just the name of the game. He sure didn't give me any timeline whatsoever. Here I am, thinking a month.

Thanks all!

#25 2 years ago

I just ordered one from him on Nov 15. I know he does really good work and from all accounts that I’ve read on here, I’ll get a nice product back but it’s going to take awhile.

I’ve got so much to do to my 11 other machines I’m sure the time will pass quickly enough.

#26 2 years ago

I just wanted to get it in there before I possibly send some of my machines to the local pinball museum to be put on display over the winter. Sounds like that's out the window.

#27 2 years ago

I'm at over 22 weeks on my current order with Steve. Two weeks ago he said my oder was packed and being shipped, but nothing yet and I live only 40 miles from his shop. Ditto on the poor communication. Steve's work is fantastic- no doubt, but this will be my last order. I would happily pay twice as much from a supplier that communicates better and ships in a reasonable amount of time.

#28 2 years ago
    Quoted from Threetoed:

I'm at over 22 weeks on my current order with Steve. Two weeks ago he said my oder was packed and being shipped, but nothing yet and I live only 40 miles from his shop. Ditto on the poor communication. Steve's work is fantastic- no doubt, but this will be my last order. I would happily pay twice as much from a supplier that communicates better and ships in a reasonable amount of time.

I’m only 2 weeks in so I’m trying not to even think about it, just like when you were a kid and ordered a poster from a magazine ad. ‘Please allow 6-8 weeks for delivery’ and 3 months later you got a surprise in the mail.

Just curious how you communicated with him, text or email and what he responds to better?

#29 2 years ago
    Quoted from Sea_Wolf:

I’m only 2 weeks in so I’m trying not to even think about it, just like when you were a kid and ordered a poster from a magazine ad. ‘Please allow 6-8 weeks for delivery’ and 3 months later you got a surprise in the mail.
    Just curious how you communicated with him, text or email and what he responds to better?

I send an e-mail. I recommend placing your order and forget about it. If you try to get updates or stick to a schedule you will get frustrated and have a bad experience. Just let it go and one day there will be a beautiful glass at your front door.

#30 2 years ago
    Quoted from Silverstreak02:

I send an e-mail. I recommend placing your order and forget about it. If you try to get updates or stick to a schedule you will get frustrated and have a bad experience. Just let it go and one day there will be a beautiful glass at your front door.

Yeah that’s what I figured. I’m not worried about contacting him now, I just want to make sure I know when he ships it, if possible. I live in pretty heavily populated area and worried about porch pirates.

Sounds like others in this thread had the same worry.

1 month later
    #31 2 years ago

Got my back glass today. The colors are brilliant! It's absolutely worth the annoying wait. Absolutely worth it! Top notch quality. The translucency isn't that bad with incandescent bulbs, either. Love it! Many thanks to Stephen Azzam(BGResto)!

#32 2 years ago
    Quoted from INSATANSSEAT:

Got my back glass today. The colors are brilliant! It's absolutely worth the annoying wait. Absolutely worth it! Top notch quality. The translucency isn't that bad with incandescent bulbs, either. Love it! Many thanks to Stephen Azzam(BGResto)!

Thats good news. How long was the wait?

#33 2 years ago
    Quoted from wayner:

Thats good news. How long was the wait?

I’m wondering too. I ordered a glass on November 15 and am really looking forward to getting it after hearing how nice they are.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.