(Topic ID: 96158)

bgresto bg - did you remove the tape on the edges?

By ccotenj

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by wayner
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-496.jpg
    image-456.jpg
    image-456.jpg
    image-52.jpg
    image-717.jpg
    image-87.jpg
    image-895.jpg
    image-886.jpg
    image-761.jpg
    POSTER_-_MOTEL_HELL.jpg
    #1 9 years ago

title says it all... just got one for my pro-football yesterday, and began unwrapping it last night... there appears to be tape all the way around the edges... did you remove it, or did you leave it?

#2 9 years ago

Both Clay and Steve say not to remove it. I have a Gulfstream Backglass just the way it came. Easy money, just install it as-is Chris.

Ken

#3 9 years ago

cool, thanks ken... i didn't want to go tearing it off of there and removing the paint as well...

i'll toss it in there tonight as-is...

#4 9 years ago

I am going to go this route with my Sorcerer backglass at some point. Curious what you all think of the quality and how close is the resto to the original?

#5 9 years ago

That tape is what's holding the paper printout edges to the glass.

I think unlit, the BGresto stuff looks fantastic. Once lit, they are about 10-20% less saturated in color. If I only had a single machine I would probably not have cared much, but sitting in a row of similar era games, it looked washed out and really stood out. Now, I got mine close to a year ago (and have since replaced it with a nice original I found) They may have changed their printing technique since then. Still, much, much better than a missing, cracked or severely flaked backglass.

#6 9 years ago
    Quoted from MrArt2u:

That tape is what's holding the paper printout edges to the glass.
    I think unlit, the BGresto stuff looks fantastic. Once lit, they are about 10-20% less saturated in color. If I only had a single machine I would probably not have cared much, but sitting in a row of similar era games, it looked washed out and really stood out. Now, I got mine close to a year ago (and have since replaced it with a nice original I found) They may have changed their printing technique since then. Still, much, much better than a missing, cracked or severely flaked backglass.

Paper printout? For real? Their website says the artwork is "bonded" to the glass. Bonding doesn't sound like taping to me.

Anyone else have one? Is it really paper?

#7 9 years ago

It is bonded, the tape protects the edges, I'd say. It has a plastic coating/layer over the sheet that bonds it to the glass. But, yes, on my glass it appears to be a high quality paper printout bonded to the glass.

#8 9 years ago

yes, that is what mine appears to be as well... paper bonded to glass... which would likely explain the commentary that others have had (and bgresto acknowledges) that "they are darker" and "color saturation is off" vs. originals...

Quoted from Squeakman:

I am going to go this route with my Sorcerer backglass at some point. Curious what you all think of the quality and how close is the resto to the original?

without having it in the machine yet... i would say that it is well made, and this particular one is "good enough" in terms of closeness to the original... it is hard to say just how close, because the glass i have to compare it to is faded to hell...

it is better than what i had, it is not as good as a "real repro" from the webb's/shay...

#9 9 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

yes, that is what mine appears to be as well... paper bonded to glass... which would likely explain the commentary that others have had (and bgresto acknowledges) that "they are darker" and "color saturation is off" vs. originals...
    without having it in the machine yet... i would say that it is well made, and this particular one is "good enough" in terms of closeness to the original... it is hard to say just how close, because the glass i have to compare it to is faded to hell...
    it is better than what i had, it is not as good as a "real repro" from the webb's/shay...

I think everyone would acknowledge that a screened repro is always the best solution. The problem is, many of us own games that will never have a repro made by either of them. Some of them are really good players but aren't a Gottlieb and as such, they get ignored when the repros are considered.

#10 9 years ago
    Quoted from EMsInKC:

I think everyone would acknowledge that a screened repro is always the best solution. The problem is, many of us own games that will never have a repro made by either of them. Some of them are really good players but aren't a Gottlieb and as such, they get ignored when the repros are considered.

yup... which is why i'm glad the bgresto guys provide a service... they are FAR better than either nothing or a window...

#11 9 years ago

Chris,
    Let's see some pix of the "PF" backglass repro.

#12 9 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

Chris,
    Let's see some pix of the "PF" backglass repro.

sure, i'll click a few when i get home this afternoon...

it looks good... much better than what was there... however, i am going to have to pop a few led's in there, because it is "dark" (coming from one that was, ummm, lacking in paint, anything was gonna look dark )... i have a bag of cointaker warm retros floating around that i'm going to experiment with tonight, didn't feel like screwing with it last night... we will see how that turns out, i may have to place an order with comet for a few different varieties to see what works best...

#13 9 years ago

OK, now a friend of mine says the artwork is not paper at all, but a film. He's got a bgresto glass, and no tape either

Which is it?

#14 9 years ago

they do say something on their site about changing their process somewhere along the line... so it is possible that it is both.... when was his done?

#15 9 years ago

I think his is maybe a year or so old. Maybe a bit older.

I'll say this, I don't want a glass that has the art printed on paper. I'm not even sure why they would do that. The film definitely seems to be the better option.

I've emailed them to find out for sure how they're doing it.

#16 9 years ago

i have zero interest in how the sausage is made as long as it tastes good...

#17 9 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

For sure, but the issue with paper is that the film would be much more likely to let the light through. If they're using paper, that might help explain why their glasses are so "dark" when lit.

#18 9 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

You sure about that?

POSTER_-_MOTEL_HELL.jpgPOSTER_-_MOTEL_HELL.jpg
    #19 9 years ago
    Quoted from EMsInKC:

For sure, but the issue with paper is that the film would be much more likely to let the light through. If they're using paper, that might help explain why their glasses are so "dark" when lit.

true...

#20 9 years ago

If they're using paper now, they're cheaping out. I thought they had some kind of proprietary process. If they're just making paper copies, they are in danger of copyright infringement as well as producing a product of diminished quality.

#21 9 years ago

pics as requested...

off...

image-761.jpgimage-761.jpg

on...

image-886.jpgimage-886.jpg

during game play...

image-895.jpgimage-895.jpg

#22 9 years ago

game over shots...

image-87.jpgimage-87.jpg

image-717.jpgimage-717.jpg

image-456.jpgimage-456.jpg

image-52.jpgimage-52.jpg

#23 9 years ago

Not too bad really overall. What do they get for it?

#24 9 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

If they're using paper now, they're cheaping out. I thought they had some kind of proprietary process. If they're just making paper copies, they are in danger of copyright infringement as well as producing a product of diminished quality.

Well, they're already in danger of that.

#25 9 years ago
    Quoted from EMsInKC:

Well, they're already in danger of that.

Word... I'm really trying to keep my mouth shut because I'm not sure how I can say anything without being overly negative. I wish there was more to "how the sausage is being made" because I'm not sure how long this will be viable. Regardless of WHAT it is, it sure looks a lot better than a flaked-out glass.

#26 9 years ago

Where is the comma that should be next to the 1000s score box ? between the 100s and 1000 S ?

Brian

#27 9 years ago

only thing i can say about copyright issues is that i think it is highly unlikely that the copyright holder is unaware that these are being made, and that said copyright holder has never been shy about enforcement... take from that what you will...

$245 shipped, jr... not cheap... it is what it is, i looked for a good one for quite some time without any luck...

#28 9 years ago
    Quoted from Bribo13:

Where is the comma that should be next to the 1000s score box ? between the 100s and 1000 S ?
    Brian

there is no comma on the original glass... pic of my original...

image-456.jpgimage-456.jpg

pic from ipdb...

image-496.jpgimage-496.jpg

#29 9 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

only thing i can say about copyright issues is that i think it is highly unlikely that the copyright holder is unaware that these are being made, and that said copyright holder has never been shy about enforcement... take from that what you will...
    $245 shipped, jr... not cheap... it is what it is, i looked for a good one for quite some time without any luck...

A little birdie tells me that you are indeed correct. While I really appreciate what they do, they are treading dangerously close to legal trouble.
    I know someone up in Union, NJ who is also looking for a very good "PF" glass. I told him to check out bgresto, but I don't know if he did. Yeah, a little pricey if it's just a paper and glass sandwich.

#30 9 years ago

I received my Pro Football repro backglass from bgresto about 4 weeks ago-no tape on sides.
    What I have noticed is the light diffusion does not seem to be as good as the original-in some places the positioning of the backglass globes is clearly evident and the mauve or light purple colour on the male footballer is a noticeably lighter shade.
    I am nevertheless happy with the purchase largely because what it replaced was the pits and adversely affected the whole presence of the machine.

#31 9 years ago

Within this vid, the bgresto process is explained.

#32 9 years ago

I have one of their glasses in my Aztec. There is less color saturation when lit. I think LED's would be a good candidate to brighten them up to an incandescent brightness level when compared to traditionally screened glasses.

#33 9 years ago

I talked to Steve at bgresto about the process. After that talk, I'm satisfied that what they're doing is a quality product and I won't hesitate on them at all now.

I really couldn't recall everything he told me, but it's way more than a "paper and glass sandwich" to be sure.

#34 9 years ago

From my understanding, they skirt the copyright issue by providing "restoration." I also could have swore that they previously did not require your glass if they already had the artwork, but you needed to provide a signed affidavit that you have destroyed the original. I don't see that now on their site though, as the probably provided too much of a loophole. They now appear to unequivocally require your backglass back.

#35 9 years ago

"They now appear to unequivocally require your backglass back."

On my experience only the photo of the glass is required.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bgresto-bg-did-you-remove-the-tape-on-the-edges and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.