(Topic ID: 268153)

BGResto Backglass - How do You Go about it ?

By scampcamp

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by LeChuck
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20200508_091108 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider emsinkc.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from goldenboy232:

Awaiting a BGResto for a Jacks Open I'm restoring as we speak. Can't wait!

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

This + 1
Silkscreened > inkjet paper glued to glass.

Yeah it's not exactly that now. You know better than that.

The ink screened glasses are certainly the best choice IF you can get one. The problem is the runs are small and there's a lot of games out there that will probably never get made. I've bought quite a few games that I would have passed on due to bad backglasses because I knew Steve could do them. Hell, I'm now getting my Gigi backglass which just shipped today. I think it's the third or fourth glass that Steve has done for me which he hadn't done before.

Guys like Steve and Lee and Gordon from Pinball Rescue are so valuable to people who do restorations because they provide a service basically few others, if any, are doing. Too bad Rick at Planetary Pinball decided he couldn't settle for a few hundred bucks a year from Lee and Gordon and shut them down on Williams and Bally stuff

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from LeChuck:

I wasn't sure when to expect my BGResto glass with the pandemic stuff going on. But it arrived last week, only a little behind the original timeframe he gave.
Pretty straightforward process - send him the money over PayPal and go find something else to do while you wait. Mine was for Space Mission, which is available on CPR .. but theirs has some minor color problems that I can't unsee.

I only have one glass from CPR. It's the SS Joker Poker. The glass itself is fine but there's an issue with the blue filters that go over the score displays. On the original glass those displays are sharp and clear. On the repro they are fuzzy like they're out of focus.

I called CPR and they told me it's because the original filter is more of a glossy product while what they use is matte. The solution to sharpening them up is to move the displays closer to the glass but not touching the glass. I did that by shimming out the stand offs and it's way better now.

#21 3 years ago
Quoted from LeChuck:

I guess this stuff just bugs me from a preservation standpoint - art missing, colors being off in large areas, changes in clarity, etc. I feel like I'm doing the game a disservice by changing up what it looked like originally.
The CPR Space Mission looks good, but someone pointed out a color that got left out in the middle of the 'O' in 'MISSION'. Once you see it you can't unsee it. My original backglass also has some green in the module/capsule art that isn't there on theirs. Although now that I'm looking through images online, it looks like a lot of them don't .. so maybe that was a production change at some point. I recall in another CPR thread that some people were complaining about missing green in some artwork too.
I opened my BGResto glass tonight - it looks great! Other than the green color thing mentioned above (it looks the same as CPR in this regard), the only things I notice different from my original are very minor. Like some of the white stars in the background are a little smaller and fuzzier. But the rest looks nice and sharp and bright (especially the reds that were faded to light pink on mine - wow they pop now!)

I'd really be surprised if bgresto missed colors since they scan off an original glass, but everyone is human and mistakes do happen.

I do know this. If you find something you think is wrong with a glass, if you contact Steve about it and act like a rational human being, he will do his utmost to fix it. A few years back I ordered a Grand Prix glass from them. It has that big expanse of blue at the top of the glass. The glass I got was more purple. I called Steve and told him about it, and he fixed it and sent another glass quickly. I've been immensely happy with all the glasses I've gotten from him.

I'm really picky about backglasses, because that's the first thing that everyone sees on a game. So I just won't try and touch them up or any other preservation technique. It's not worth it to me, because no matter how good a job I might do, I'm always going to see the flaws and it will always bother me. I can live with it if colors are just a touch off, but flaking and peeling, no freaking way. They're out of here. I don't get wound up about the colors as much because these glasses are so faded by now, who the hell really knows exactly what the colors were in the first place?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Yucca Valley, CA
6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Scottsdale, AZ
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Placerville, CA
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 12.00

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider emsinkc.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bgresto-backglass-how-do-you-go-about-it-?tu=emsinkc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.