(Topic ID: 268153)

BGResto Backglass - How do You Go about it ?

By scampcamp

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by LeChuck
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20200508_091108 (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

Reading BGResto's website... if I'm understanding it correctly. If I wanted a good to go Gottlieb El Dorado backglass I could either send my original to them & have them re-do it or... they would send me a refurbished one?

Please let me know how you went about it & what may be a better option.

Looks like they do great work.
20200508_091108 (resized).jpg20200508_091108 (resized).jpg

#2 3 years ago

Essentially yes. Send them an email, and they will reply with a detailed response of what you will need to do.

#3 3 years ago

I have 9 of their glasses, all are perfect. You will not have to send in your old glass if they already have a scan of the one you need.
Please be patient after paying for it, it could take a few months to get it depending how many orders are ahead of yours.
Very important also, Steve has a full time job and travels a lot ( not sure about his traveling schedule with the C-19) and this is a hobby/second job for him.
You will need to have patience but in the end it is worth it.

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from gjm:

I have 9 of their glasses, all are perfect. You will not have to send in your old glass if they already have a scan of the one you need.
Please be patient after paying for it, it could take a few months to get it depending how many orders are ahead of yours.
Very important also, Steve has a full time job and travels a lot ( not sure about his traveling schedule with the C-19) and this is a hobby/second job for him.
You will need to have patience but in the end it is worth it.

Awaiting a BGResto for a Jacks Open I'm restoring as we speak. Can't wait!

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from goldenboy232:

Awaiting a BGResto for a Jacks Open I'm restoring as we speak. Can't wait!

#6 3 years ago

I don't mean to take business away from BG as I like the work he does and I've purchased from him but the only drawback to Steve is, the wait. You will have to be patient as it does take him time as he does this a second job.

An option would be to purchase from Shay as he has these in stock: http://shayarcadegroup.com/backglasses/

Just another option

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

I don't mean to take business away from BG as I like the work he does and I've purchased from him but the only drawback to Steve is, the wait. You will have to be patient as it does take him time as he does this a second job.
An option would be to purchase from Shay as he has these in stock: http://shayarcadegroup.com/backglasses/
Just another option

Are they as a good quality as bgresto's?

#8 3 years ago

I would buy backglasses

Quoted from scampcamp:

Shay Arcade Group and Homestead all use silk screening just like the originals. Bgresto prints on a label and uses a process to adhere the label to the backglass. It’s a really nice result, but not as good as silk screen. I’d buy a new backglass from Shay, Homestead, Greatwichjohn or Cpr. If they don’t make a title that you want then I would order from Bgresto. This accomplishes two things; gets you your backglass quickly, and reduces the number of Bgresto backorders so that people that have to order from Bgresto, as he’s the only one that makes many titles, can get their glasses quicker.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

I would buy backglasses

Shay Arcade Group and Homestead all use silk screening just like the originals. Bgresto prints on a label and uses a process to adhere the label to the backglass. It’s a really nice result, but not as good as silk screen. I’d buy a new backglass from Shay, Homestead, Greatwichjohn or Cpr. If they don’t make a title that you want then I would order from Bgresto. This accomplishes two things; gets you your backglass quickly, and reduces the number of Bgresto backorders so that people that have to order from Bgresto, as he’s the only one that makes many titles, can get their glasses quicker.

Well said!

Quoted from scampcamp:

Just for reference .... this is a glass Steve (BGResto) did for me. http://bgresto.com/?p=1572 As stated above, Steve is great but would use him for the glasses that you can't find elsewhere. Almost all other places make runs of certain glasses and don't do one-offs.

#10 3 years ago

And there is also these guys that do a nice job

http://www.coos.net/bingo_e/

They send you a decal/film that you attach to a piece of glass. These guys are great especially if you want some custom. Light mask built in.

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

Shay Arcade Group and Homestead all use silk screening just like the originals. Bgresto prints on a label and uses a process to adhere the label to the backglass. It’s a really nice result, but not as good as silk screen. I’d buy a new backglass from Shay

This + 1

Silkscreened > inkjet paper glued to glass.

#13 3 years ago

It looks like BGResto has already done El Dorado, so you would not need to send him your backglass. Shay has done El Dorado also, and looks to have it in stock. Ron Webb (Homestead site) has not done El Dorado.

BGResto should be about $50 or so cheaper than Shay, but you will still likely have to wait about 10 weeks (or more?). You just email Steve to inquire and he will inform you what you need to do. If the wait is unacceptable to you, look into Shay, or possibly inquire with Mayfair. Also, be aware that the BGResto (bonded color film) method doesn't quite transmit light the same as the silkscreened method. Usually, the illuminated parts behind a BGResto glass will look slightly dimmer than the same parts behind a silkscreened glass. I went back to using #44 bulbs behind my (3) BGResto glasses.

I've used BGResto, Shay, and Ron Webb and appreciate all 3 being available.

One other comment, IMO, the silkscreen method does a little better job with reproducing saturated yellows than the bonded film method. YMMV.

#14 3 years ago

"Yes there are a number of companies providing “reissue” silk screened backglasses for pinball machines. If this is available for your game, you should take advantage of that." Above quote is taken directly from bgresto website. Even Steve from bgresto recommends silk screen repros as first option. If Shay has it in stock I would DEFINITELY buy it from him. It will be the best extra $50 you ever spent in MY opinion.

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from jsf24:

"Yes there are a number of companies providing “reissue” silk screened backglasses for pinball machines. If this is available for your game, you should take advantage of that." Above quote is taken directly from bgresto website. Even Steve from bgresto recommends silk screen repros as first option. If Shay has it in stock I would DEFINITELY buy it from him. It will be the best extra $50 you ever spent in MY opinion.

And we definitely need to keep Shay and Ron in business.

#16 3 years ago

go with the Shay silk screened back glass. Nothing beats that

#17 3 years ago

I wasn't sure when to expect my BGResto glass with the pandemic stuff going on. But it arrived last week, only a little behind the original timeframe he gave.

Pretty straightforward process - send him the money over PayPal and go find something else to do while you wait. Mine was for Space Mission, which is available on CPR .. but theirs has some minor color problems that I can't unsee.

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

This + 1
Silkscreened > inkjet paper glued to glass.

Yeah it's not exactly that now. You know better than that.

The ink screened glasses are certainly the best choice IF you can get one. The problem is the runs are small and there's a lot of games out there that will probably never get made. I've bought quite a few games that I would have passed on due to bad backglasses because I knew Steve could do them. Hell, I'm now getting my Gigi backglass which just shipped today. I think it's the third or fourth glass that Steve has done for me which he hadn't done before.

Guys like Steve and Lee and Gordon from Pinball Rescue are so valuable to people who do restorations because they provide a service basically few others, if any, are doing. Too bad Rick at Planetary Pinball decided he couldn't settle for a few hundred bucks a year from Lee and Gordon and shut them down on Williams and Bally stuff

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from LeChuck:

I wasn't sure when to expect my BGResto glass with the pandemic stuff going on. But it arrived last week, only a little behind the original timeframe he gave.
Pretty straightforward process - send him the money over PayPal and go find something else to do while you wait. Mine was for Space Mission, which is available on CPR .. but theirs has some minor color problems that I can't unsee.

I only have one glass from CPR. It's the SS Joker Poker. The glass itself is fine but there's an issue with the blue filters that go over the score displays. On the original glass those displays are sharp and clear. On the repro they are fuzzy like they're out of focus.

I called CPR and they told me it's because the original filter is more of a glossy product while what they use is matte. The solution to sharpening them up is to move the displays closer to the glass but not touching the glass. I did that by shimming out the stand offs and it's way better now.

#20 3 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

I only have one glass from CPR. It's the SS Joker Poker. The glass itself is fine but there's an issue with the blue filters that go over the score displays. On the original glass those displays are sharp and clear. On the repro they are fuzzy like they're out of focus.

I guess this stuff just bugs me from a preservation standpoint - art missing, colors being off in large areas, changes in clarity, etc. I feel like I'm doing the game a disservice by changing up what it looked like originally.

The CPR Space Mission looks good, but someone pointed out a color that got left out in the middle of the 'O' in 'MISSION'. Once you see it you can't unsee it. My original backglass also has some green in the module/capsule art that isn't there on theirs. Although now that I'm looking through images online, it looks like a lot of them don't .. so maybe that was a production change at some point. I recall in another CPR thread that some people were complaining about missing green in some artwork too.

I opened my BGResto glass tonight - it looks great! Other than the green color thing mentioned above (it looks the same as CPR in this regard), the only things I notice different from my original are very minor. Like some of the white stars in the background are a little smaller and fuzzier. But the rest looks nice and sharp and bright (especially the reds that were faded to light pink on mine - wow they pop now!)

#21 3 years ago
Quoted from LeChuck:

I guess this stuff just bugs me from a preservation standpoint - art missing, colors being off in large areas, changes in clarity, etc. I feel like I'm doing the game a disservice by changing up what it looked like originally.
The CPR Space Mission looks good, but someone pointed out a color that got left out in the middle of the 'O' in 'MISSION'. Once you see it you can't unsee it. My original backglass also has some green in the module/capsule art that isn't there on theirs. Although now that I'm looking through images online, it looks like a lot of them don't .. so maybe that was a production change at some point. I recall in another CPR thread that some people were complaining about missing green in some artwork too.
I opened my BGResto glass tonight - it looks great! Other than the green color thing mentioned above (it looks the same as CPR in this regard), the only things I notice different from my original are very minor. Like some of the white stars in the background are a little smaller and fuzzier. But the rest looks nice and sharp and bright (especially the reds that were faded to light pink on mine - wow they pop now!)

I'd really be surprised if bgresto missed colors since they scan off an original glass, but everyone is human and mistakes do happen.

I do know this. If you find something you think is wrong with a glass, if you contact Steve about it and act like a rational human being, he will do his utmost to fix it. A few years back I ordered a Grand Prix glass from them. It has that big expanse of blue at the top of the glass. The glass I got was more purple. I called Steve and told him about it, and he fixed it and sent another glass quickly. I've been immensely happy with all the glasses I've gotten from him.

I'm really picky about backglasses, because that's the first thing that everyone sees on a game. So I just won't try and touch them up or any other preservation technique. It's not worth it to me, because no matter how good a job I might do, I'm always going to see the flaws and it will always bother me. I can live with it if colors are just a touch off, but flaking and peeling, no freaking way. They're out of here. I don't get wound up about the colors as much because these glasses are so faded by now, who the hell really knows exactly what the colors were in the first place?

#22 3 years ago
Quoted from LeChuck:

The CPR Space Mission looks good, but someone pointed out a color that got left out in the middle of the 'O' in 'MISSION'. Once you see it you can't unsee it.

I was looking at the "middle" of the lettering of "O" and couldn't find what you were mentioning then I took another look. Sure enough, there's a white blotch just hanging out there. I was on the fence about ordering one of these glasses. Not anymore. I mean, if you have a Space Mission that has a glass that has been through hell, this would be a great option. Mine is generally okay with some fine (not chunks) red flaking here and there on the title. Think I'll stick with the glass I have for now. My playfield comes in at a 7 at best and if I ordered the glass it would be more than I paid for the entire machine as it is :/

#23 3 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

I'd really be surprised if bgresto missed colors since they scan off an original glass, but everyone is human and mistakes do happen.
I do know this. If you find something you think is wrong with a glass, if you contact Steve about it and act like a rational human being, he will do his utmost to fix it.

Going by pictures online of original backglasses, it looks pretty much identical. Every once in awhile you find a picture of one with green in the places I'm talking about. I do wonder how that happens - did backglass art really change over the lifetime of a machine just to add touchups like this? It seems unlikely but I guess anything is possible. I remember in that CPR thread that they said the original glass they had for reference didn't have the same greens everyone else was complaining about.

Anyway, the only difference I've really noticed in the BGResto glass is the white stars being smaller .. I might ask him about that, but I suspect it is what it is.

Quoted from EJS:

I was looking at the "middle" of the lettering of "O" and couldn't find what you were mentioning then I took another look. Sure enough, there's a white blotch just hanging out there.

By all other measures their glass does look fantastic and I would have ordered one. Seeing that just bothered me because I knew I would see it every time I looked at the machine. For all I know, maybe they have even fixed it in current productions (although it's still in the photos). My glass wasn't too bad, but had enough fading and crackling that I wanted to see what a new one would look like. The biggest thing that pops is all the red in the art - mine was all faded to the point of being light pink.

#24 3 years ago
Quoted from LeChuck:

Pretty straightforward process - send him the money over PayPal

I emailed him regarding a reproduction backglass that he had done before. He said I would not have to send him my glass since he already had the art on file. Sounds great to me.

But then he stipulated that I must agree to destroy my original glass when I received the replacement.

WTF? I asked why he required that it be destroyed. No answer back.

He's welcome to buy it and do whatever he wants with it, but how ridiculous to require that I destroy my own property.

#25 3 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

I emailed him regarding a reproduction backglass that he had done before. He said I would not have to send him my glass since he already had the art on file. Sounds great to me.
But then he stipulated that I must agree to destroy my original glass when I received the replacement.
He's welcome to buy it and do whatever he wants with it, but how ridiculous to require that I destroy my own property.

It is for copyright laws. He does not have rights to sell unlicensed glasses but is allowed to "fix or replace" a glass.

#26 3 years ago
Quoted from jsf24:

It is for copyright laws. He does not have rights to sell unlicensed glasses but is allowed to "fix or replace" a glass.

Well i guess that provides a reason. Thanks.

#27 3 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

Steve has licensing obligations to the original owners. He is merely conveying those to you. Beyond that what happens to the glass is in your court.

#28 3 years ago
Quoted from LeChuck:

Mine was for Space Mission, which is available on CPR .. but theirs has some minor color problems that I can't unsee.

I sent mine back to CPR, that Space Mission run is a mess. I wouldn’t call the problems minor.

#29 3 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I sent mine back to CPR, that Space Mission run is a mess. I wouldn’t call the problems minor.

What else was wrong besides that missing color in the “O”? I never really could get past that to compare the rest too hard.

The main other difference I’ve got is still the lack of green that all the repros have (I still wonder how that happens - did they really change the art during production for such a minor thing?)

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Scottsdale, AZ
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Yucca Valley, CA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lafayette, CO
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Placerville, CA
$ 12.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bgresto-backglass-how-do-you-go-about-it-?hl=sea_wolf and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.