(Topic ID: 188874)

BGresto a hoax?

By Boltronix

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpeg
    #1 6 years ago

Is BGresto a hoax. I paid for some BG's long time ago. I have been promised shipment twice and still no product.

#2 6 years ago

It'll take a while, at least 4 month if he has the image on file. Slow but always an awesome product.

#3 6 years ago
    Quoted from Boltronix:

Is BGresto a hoax.

No.

Quoted from Boltronix:

I paid for some BG's long time ago. I have been promised shipment twice and still no product.

What was Steve's response when you inquired about the delay?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/backglass-resto-anybody-heard-from-steve

#4 6 years ago

A common issue

#5 6 years ago

Def not a hoax! Always a joy dealing with Steve...busy guy that does this on the side...he will come through.

#6 6 years ago

No not a hoax. My backglass took a couple of months longer than the initial estimate, but considering the end product I would have gladly waited long. The backglass from Steve is nearly identical to the original. That is expect for the without the imperfections and with better color.

#7 6 years ago

Just met him at vfw show a week ago, and purchased my 2nd glass from him.
    Don't worry about it.

#8 6 years ago

Bought a Centaur II BG from him at the VFW show,
    made the flight home, as carry on, just fine.
    It may take 2 to 6 months (depending), but i have yet to hear
    that anyone has not received (eventually)
    what they ordered or paid for.

#9 6 years ago

takes a while but awesome product, got a Surfer Backglass to Australia.

#10 6 years ago

Communication is not his strong point but i have ordered from him twice and he does finally come through.

#11 6 years ago

I've waited as long as six months. Have ordered two glasses and have another one currently on order. I'm not worried at all about the wait because I know Steve is a VERY busy guy, and when you get the glass you'll realize that the wait was worth every f-ing second.

#12 6 years ago

And btw...when you get your stuff in a week or two, I hope you change the thread title and/or post an apology for the suggestion of a scam. I'm thankful we have Steve in the hobby. Without him, our options become severely limited.

#13 6 years ago

He's done 5 or 6 for me. Always a wait--he's in high demand. Communication? I'd care if I didn't already trust him. Spot-on product every time.

#14 6 years ago

I received my backglass earlier this week. It was a couple weeks later than anticipated, but well worth the wait.
    Glad to have Steve providing this service!

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

I've waited as long as six months. Have ordered two glasses and have another one currently on order. I'm not worried at all about the wait because I know Steve is a VERY busy guy, and when you get the glass you'll realize that the wait was worth every f-ing second.

I agree. Perhaps though there should be a warning on the site of this intense delay. A lot of Pinsiders eventually catch onto it, but I'm sure I'd have the same reaction if I were a layman or even a newbie. With anything else, a whopping 6 months is almost always a "scam". Granted this is an exception of course, but is the delay ever stated anywhere? Why does he always promise shipping to people as well? (That means it's done and has been done, right?)

I think the service is great but sometimes it baffles me, especially when shipping is promised. Yeah, things get mixed up but if promising shipping in the first place that must mean the hard part that takes forever is long over (the glass is finished and printed), so I'm not sure what's with the months delay after that. I hope you get your glass soon OP!

#16 6 years ago

Steve does a fantastic job! I have bought 5 back glasses from him over the years some I had to wait longer than others but always a great product!

#17 6 years ago

Patience please. Steve is a HUGE asset to the pinball community. He is (as far as I know) the only person in the world doing this service. As stated above by beelzboob, when you receive your glass, change the thread name. It is an insult to call Steve a "scam" and by other threads in the past, Patience is the key. This is a hobby for him, to provide a service to people with crappy never to find BG's.

#18 6 years ago

Steve made my Atlantis sample bg, definitely legit, communication not his strong suit. Expect at least double the time he tells you.

#19 6 years ago

Took awhile for my proto Grand Lizard to arrive, but it's here and looks great. On inquiry with Steve he updated my status within a couple days. Satisfied with my dealings with him.

#20 6 years ago

How do you order? I can't get a response back from him at the "info" email address.

#21 6 years ago

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

See gjm's post

#22 6 years ago

Steve will make it happen!
    I just send him another glass

Just check with him in 4-6 months
    And wait for some sign of life.
    It will come and all will be whole.

Did I already mention Steve is great in what he does !!!

#23 6 years ago

There are other backglass makers, but they do not publicize to avoid license infringement issues from those are trying to protect 40-80 year old pinball copyrights that only a handful of people even care about anyway.
    Worldwide there are eight I know of including those made by BGResto, Shay, Great Pinball Limited, and CPR.
    The ones most know about are all license agreement holders or working the "grey" area.
    A couple of others that can provide excellent substitutes via high resolution translites if you are in a rut, and only have the proper high quality scans. Done correctly with translucent multiple layers and UV inking, it can be hard to tell the difference and the colors do not wash out, unless you walk up to the backbox. They are still not a backglass though.

The time required is not much difference from anyone if doing a "one off" on actual period specific glass correctly.
    Mirrored backglasses are a different animal all together, and a "lost art".

In regards to BGResto, if a person has challenges with patience, this is not the hobby for them.
    They need to recognize that 20 years ago, people had to do everything themselves except for a different number of small individuals such as Alan Meyer.
    The industry triangle remains the same, time, quality, and money.
    A person needs to choose two.
    Stephen and Clay are two people that need to commended for their own patience with new pinball owners.

If an individual wants to do something for the community they can provide Stephen and Clay a new scan of a glass they have not already done to help others, "free of charge".

#24 6 years ago

Chisox, I love you comment!

Down the drain!

The opinions expressed in this post are not indicative of Pinside"s views or beliefs nor does Pinside take any responsibility for the content.

1 week later
    #25 6 years ago

Was just wondering the same thing, I paid for two glasses back in early March. And so far I have yet to ever get get an ETA on shipping date nor a response to my email inquiries, shitty way to run a business to say the least. Funny thing is he immediately responded to my initial questions about the glasses and was incredibly quick to send an invoice.

From their website:
    "The time it takes for a restoration is usually 2 to 12 weeks. Some glasses go quick, others not so much. So please be patient with us."

Sending an email update literally takes two minutes.

#26 6 years ago
    Quoted from KHL:

Was just wondering the same thing, I paid for two glasses back in early March. And so far I have yet to ever get get an ETA on shipping date nor a response to my email inquiries, shitty way to run a business to say the least. Funny thing is he immediately responded to my initial questions about the glasses and was incredibly quick to send an invoice.
    From their website:
    "The time it takes for a restoration is usually 2 to 12 weeks. Some glasses go quick, others not so much. So please be patient with us."
    Sending an email update literally takes two minutes.

So it's only been a couple of months? Let me quote myself:

Quoted from beelzeboob:

When you initially emailed him, you probably got lucky with him getting back to you that quickly. He's constantly on the road for his job; how he actually has time to do this is beyond me. Be patient and you'll be very happy...you won't lose your money, I can guarantee it.

And hey! OP!...didn't you get your glass yet? Wondering why the title hasn't changed or any updates posted. I love when people only post to complain...

#27 6 years ago

There are about 100 threads about BGResto.

Here is the gist of all of them:

They do great work
    Not a lot of communication
    Takes along time to get the bg
    Everyone happy in the end

I can't believe the number of people who send money to someone like this without researching first

So you guys either don't know how to use the search function or you are trolling Steve with your posts.

#28 6 years ago
    Quoted from Black_Knight:

So you either you guys.

Some people are just too lazy to use search function
    or too lazy to use spellcheck or proof read.

Sorry just had to,
    hope the syntax grammar police do not come after me for a dangling particple.

In all seriousness
    BGResto provides a great service.
    They need to improve their communications
    and be more realistic on the delivery schedule.
    People need to be patient
    before going into partnership with BGResto.

#30 6 years ago

I'm pretty sure the OP got his glass, but he's gone strangely quiet and left this thread title unchanged. If he's happy with what he got, I think that's a bush league move to just go AWOL and not update the thread.

#31 6 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

I'm pretty sure the OP got his glass, but he's gone strangely quiet and left this thread title unchanged. If he's happy with what he got, I think that's a bush league move to just go AWOL and not update the thread.

Its really not a big deal beelzeboob.

I always come to the defense of Steve Young at PBR as you do for Steve Azzam. They both provide a unique valuable service for pinball restorers and I believe they understand very well that some bad publicity is better than no publicity. They I am sure both enjoy the little bit of notoriety they get, especially when we and others ride in to defend them in much greater numbers and all is well in the world again. They probably court it.

#32 6 years ago

I always defend anybody that keeps this hobby afloat...especially in the EM realm. Without these guys, there are no replacement parts. And without that, eventually there will be no working machines anymore. I shudder to think what will happen when Steve Young closes up shop; there is NOBODY in line to take over, or even willing to do so.

#33 6 years ago

I need to get a Pharaoh bg done soon. Will be my first from Steve. Just need to save up a little more cash. No worries about it. People forget he does a lot of glassses so can take longer.

#34 6 years ago

Got a Bally Viking BG @VFW from Steve, took 3 months....worth the wait

#35 6 years ago

I bought two backglass, Qbert and Centauer, both came fairly quick, great quality, good product. I will use again if needed.

#36 6 years ago
    Quoted from AtomicChuck:

I bought two backglass, Qbert and Centauer, both came fairly quick, great quality, good product. I will use again if needed.

AtomicChuck could you post a pic of the Qbert - thanks! Thinking of getting one myself.

#37 6 years ago

Just received our "300" backglass from Steve today.
    Took way longer than promised. Took about 4 months give or take.

But the backglass is awesome.
    Was worth the wait.

#38 6 years ago

Something to keep in mind with BGResto... there is a another BIG "if" regarding whether the glass has been done before with existing completed high resolution scans.
    If it has NOT, and extensive restoration work including Adobe Illustrator is required to reform the film mask layers, it might take close to a year.
    Most people do not consider this fact for games that are new productions.
    That is just part of the business.
    In comparison, Shay does miracles in speed, if films are available, or an original glass is available that is near perfect.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bgresto-a-hoax?hl=boltronix and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.